Author Topic: My dream theater  (Read 400382 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My dream theater (X'mas 07 upgrade)
« Reply #240 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 07:59 AM »
Sending my sincere gratitude to Mark for being a wonderful host for this mini EB at his unique theater plus the beer! :D

Also thanks to all members that attended this EB & contributing all the delicious food. Great food & beer/wine! :D
It's a pleasure meeting you all. It's always nice to see both old & new faces.  ;)

Thanks for organizing the EB, Paul. As usual, you did a great job.  :)

And thanks to all the guys who came over. I think there were 13 in all who came. Masaya!  :)
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #241 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 09:12 AM »
Mark,

thanks for being a great host yesterday!  Enjoyed your HT very much! (tulo laway ko...hehehe).

I still need to work my ass-off in order to afford a great HT like yours.   :o Financial support at wife support lang ang kailangan.  The drive is there naman for me. hehehe  ;D

Thanks also for inviting me for dinner.  Thanks to Ernie for treating us for dinner and to beers (or should I say 1 beer lang kasi for me...hehehe...di kasi ako malakas uminom).

Will wait for your feedback on the Rel sub!  ;D  Di ka tatantanan ni Ernie about it if you get to try it out.   :D

Congrats again on a great HT!  :D

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 09:56 AM »
Mark,

Napaaga ako nang isang araw. I sure everybody had a great time. Maybe next time. ;D

Alvin
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 11:07 AM »
Sorry rin Mark, couldnt come.   Missed the fun.   Maybe next time rin ako... :)

Offline gearhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 01:07 PM »
i too would like to extend our (w/ my brother) appreciation for both the great host (streetsmart/mark) and the unofficial "organizer", pchin/paul. both did great in accommodating us in sir mark's fabulous abode with the dedicated home theater. this was my very first pdvd EB and i'm sure glad we came. since sir mark is hinting of a possible next time in the near future, i'll make sure to come in early. there will possibly be a large number of members so we'll have to secure the sweet spots.  ;D

congratulations, sir mark on your dream (though not anymore) theater.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 03:11 PM »
Would like to thank sir pchin and Streetsmart for yesterday's unforgettable eb. It was indeed an "eye opener" for me.  Soundwise and on video as well.  ;)

Our special guest performer: Carly Simon on a 115 in. stage.

No this aint a hotel bar, it's Sir Mark's "drink-all-you-can" bar
;D ;D

From left to right:
upper row- et414, moks007, saxman, gearhead, jolibeemcdonald, Mo®pHeOu$, theblue,
lower row - pchin, mb88, streetsmart, dts_es

the big ravishing guy on red shirt beside sir mark is moi.  ;D ;D

All gears are a definite winner but the greatest part is Sir Mark's hospitality. Thanks a lot and congrats again.  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2008 at 10:45 AM by danrd »

Offline Saxman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Parabellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #246 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 06:29 PM »
yeah! :D great gears, great host (streetsmart), great food and great company of HT enthusiasts!

thanks for inviting me, hope we can do it again!  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2008 at 10:05 AM by Saxman »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 07:24 PM »
Great setup sir, Thanks for letting me check out your place today, Great host, great food, great equipments....Thanks again.

It was my pleasure!  :)

Mark,

thanks for being a great host yesterday!  Enjoyed your HT very much! (tulo laway ko...hehehe).

I still need to work my ass-off in order to afford a great HT like yours.   :o Financial support at wife support lang ang kailangan.  The drive is there naman for me. hehehe  ;D

Congrats again on a great HT!  :D

Konting sipag lang, tiyaga at suwerte! Cheers!  :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 07:28 PM »
Mark,

Napaaga ako nang isang araw. I sure everybody had a great time. Maybe next time. ;D

Alvin

Yes, everyone had a great time! And everyone was all praises for your video calibration. I think that the contrast ratio has improved, seems more 3-dimensional now.  :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 07:34 PM »
i too would like to extend our (w/ my brother) appreciation for both the great host (streetsmart/mark) and the unofficial "organizer", pchin/paul. both did great in accommodating us in sir mark's fabulous abode with the dedicated home theater. this was my very first pdvd EB and i'm sure glad we came. since sir mark is hinting of a possible next time in the near future, i'll make sure to come in early. there will possibly be a large number of members so we'll have to secure the sweet spots.  ;D

congratulations, sir mark on your dream (though not anymore) theater.

Correction: Paul was not the "unofficial" organizer, he was the very "official" organizer and he did a great job.  :)

Actually, I'm thinking of organizing a visit to the brand-new HT of my friend in Sta Rosa. 40 square meters and fantastic acoustic treatment. Plus a Sony Black Pearl pj. But I have to convince him!  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2008 at 07:34 PM by streetsmart »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 07:42 PM »
Would like to thank sir pchin and Streetsmart for yesterday's unforgettable eb. It was indeed an "eye opener" for me.  Soundwise and on video as well.  ;)

All gears are a definite winner but the greatest part is Sir Mark's hospitality. Thanks a lot and congrats again.  ;)

Galing ng pictures mo. And thank you too for coming over! Dapat ulitin.  :)

yeah! :D great gears, great host (streetsmart), great food and great company of HT enthusiasts!

thanks for inviting me, hope we do it again!  ;D

Lapit pala ng bahay nyo sa amin. Pati si pchin. We should organize a micro-EB among Ermita residents!  ;D

Iba talaga to chat with fellow HT enthusiasts. You get really encouraged kasi ang dami rin pala ng mga kagaya natin!  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 07:55 PM »
Great set-up and gathering.  I would have joined courtesy of Paul's invite but I just have a lot of loose ends to tie this weekend. Hope there's a next time. 

The theory is always that the best set-up for an HT is 5 (or 7) identical speakers + a subwoofer. Next best is 5 speakers from the same brand and the same line (an HT set).

This need not be followed if your speakers have no timbral coloration which is quite common among mass produced speakers.  If there is no timber coloration, then there's no need for timber matching.  And I see your speakers like the PSB Stratus to be among the more neutral speakers in the past.  So if your other speakers are just as neutral, timber mismatch does not exist.  This "theory" becomes irrelevant on high end neutral speakers. So enjoy.   ;D

Also, see if you can have at least two identical sub-woofers on the center along opposing walls firing in the same direction, but not facing each other.  They deliver a much flatter in-room bass response where it matters the most, below 80hz.  See my latest posts and my source here: http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=75861.msg778930#msg778930
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2008 at 08:06 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #252 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 08:47 PM »
My thanks to Mark for hosting a great event and to Paul for the invite :) it was also my first EB and its great to be able to talk to other people about HT! wala kasi ako makausap dito about our dear hobby ;D

more power Mark! sa uulitin ;D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #253 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 09:25 PM »
Sir mark i could just imagine how big your ht room is, nagkasya ang daming gwapo sa isang kwarto ;) Sayang hindi ako nakapunta but lucky na din kasi nabawasan ka ng i E-ENCOURAGE ;D Upgrade time na naman guys :o :D

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #254 on: Feb 03, 2008 at 11:47 PM »
Nice meeting & talking to all of you guys! dami ko natutunan.

Tnx idol Mark  ;D your new 119" screen rocks! ang laki . . . mas match na sa viewing dist. & size ng HT room mo.

Also wud like to thank Paul for having the time to organize d mini-eb.

:)

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 10:52 AM »
Yes, everyone had a great time! And everyone was all praises for your video calibration. I think that the contrast ratio has improved, seems more 3-dimensional now.  :)

Thank you for the compliment, I know I can only marginally improve the calibration done by AVDI. From our initial findings, calibration was top notch, I was not sure I can do better. Its heartwarming knowing that you and the gang appreciate my effort.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #256 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 11:22 AM »
Lapit pala ng bahay nyo sa amin. Pati si pchin. We should organize a micro-EB among Ermita residents!  ;D

We have quite a few members staying in Manila pala. Saxman (Dennis) is staying just next to my condo (2 min walk). We are neighbours hehe. :) While moks007 (Raymond) is from Sta. Cruz area also very nearby.  ;D

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #257 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 12:06 PM »
Ampopogi!  ;D Nice seeing the big guys -- lookin forward meeting all of you  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 12:03 AM »
Superb pics danrd, am-popogi ng brotherhood!  ;D  Congrats for the successful hosting Mark!  Paul, thanks for the invite bro but sorry wasn't able to make it cause sked got tied up.  I see you invited Mr. San Miguel and Messieurs Sauvignon and Merlot as well so am sure things flowed pretty well, raincheck on the Johnnie Walker guys, next time for sure.   ;)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 08:13 AM »
No worry Jas, there will be always a next time.  Johnnie Walker it is! ;)

Offline theblue

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 09:19 AM »
Sirs, thanks for a very informative EB! I really learned a lot. A very nice experience for a newbie like me.

We discussed HT and HIFI topics like I never had before.

I was amazed seeing Streetsmart's setup. Now I know now how High-end Audio and Video looks like!

The whole place was swarming with food and drinks!

I'm looking forward on seeing you guys again! Rest assured that I will bring food na... hehe, I got sir Paul's message about the food pero late na.

Denon 1912 + Yamaha NS-777, Dynaudio Audience 40, HTPC i7 7700k, 24GB, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti, LG 4K

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 09:34 AM »
Nice meeting & talking to all of you guys! dami ko natutunan.

Tnx idol Mark  ;D your new 119" screen rocks! ang laki . . . mas match na sa viewing dist. & size ng HT room mo.

Also wud like to thank Paul for having the time to organize d mini-eb.

:)

Thanks, Luther. You're one of the few people who saw my old screen. Okay ang old screen for 4:3 material but it was too small for 1.78 and 2.35. I think the present one is just right (unless I get a panamorph lens).  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 09:36 AM »
Sirs, thanks for a very informative EB! I really learned a lot. A very nice experience for a newbie like me.

We discussed HT and HIFI topics like I never had before.

I was amazed seeing Streetsmart's setup. Now I know now how High-end Audio and Video looks like!

The whole place was swarming with food and drinks!

I'm looking forward on seeing you guys again! Rest assured that I will bring food na... hehe, I got sir Paul's message about the food pero late na.

An EB is really fun kasi you learn a lot. Tapos eat and drink a lot din!  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 09:38 AM »
No worry Jas, there will be always a next time.  Johnnie Walker it is! ;)

Looks like we need to do this again in the future. But let me try to see if we can do the Sta Rosa HT first. It's a pretty incredible set-up! :)

Offline theblue

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 09:49 AM »
Looks like we need to do this again in the future. But let me try to see if we can do the Sta Rosa HT first. It's a pretty incredible set-up! :)

Sta Rosa?  ??? What is that sir?
Denon 1912 + Yamaha NS-777, Dynaudio Audience 40, HTPC i7 7700k, 24GB, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti, LG 4K

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 09:59 AM »
Sta Rosa?  ??? What is that sir?

Pls refer to "Reply #236 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:59 AM" ;)

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 09:33 PM »
My thanks to Mark for hosting a great event and to Paul for the invite :) it was also my first EB and its great to be able to talk to other people about HT! wala kasi ako makausap dito about our dear hobby ;D

Pre,

you should have joined the dinner with Mark and Ernie.  It was all HT all the time. hehehe.  With all the chicks walking outside the restaurant in Ermita, I couldn't beleive that they weren't distracted a bit from the topic.  HT pa rin! There are some (actually marami pala) terms that I couldn't understand from what they were saying kasi never encountered them before.  Newbie pa rin siguro sa HT. hehehe.  Pero si Mark and Ernie was so well versed in HT terminology!  I could just listen to them talking and talking and marami kang matututunan from them.   :D

Iba talaga ang nagagawa ng ganitong community that shares the same passion for HT.   ;)

Will wait for the invite dun sa Sta.Rosa, Laguna.   ;D If Mark was so impressed with the accoustic treatments, then it must be really good! It would be a nice place to visit indeed!

Thanks again to Mark and to Paul also.   ;)

Mark,

nadeliver na ba ni Ernie yung Rel nya?  :D

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #267 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 09:37 PM »
sayang! i wanted to stay pero may pinuntahan din kasi akong dinner that night e :) next time!

Mark,

nagawa nyo na CARA ng room mo?

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Bass improvements
« Reply #268 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 12:03 PM »
In my never-ending quest for improvements, for the past several months, I have been trying to improve the bass in my system. I was looking for a bass response that had certain characteristics, among which were the following:

1.   Flat - you can hear distinct bass notes and they will have the same volume
2.   Tight – a “thud,” not a “thump”
3.   Deep – you can’t actually hear the deepest bass frequencies, which are sometimes harmonics or ambience but you should be able to "feel" them!
4.   Volume – should fill up my big room

I wasn’t happy with my bass and I recall that the best bass I had ever heard was from a huge Thiel CS6.2 (I think that’s the model), which had all these characteristics. So I started a long journey to improve my bass.

The first step was the bass management of the AVR and the subwoofer. A lot of this is explained all over the web but let me describe my final settings:

1.   Even if all my speakers are physically large and can go really deep, I decided to set them all as “Small” in the AVR. Crossover points were 60 hz for LCR and back, while the SR and SL were set at 80 hz kasi mas slightly smaller sila. This meant that all bass signals below these points were being sent to the sub.

2.   The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) at the AVR was set to 120 hz. Even if many manufacturers recommend setting this to 80 hz, it is more accurate to set it at 120 hz. The function of the LPF is to limit the LFE frequencies sent to the sub to only those below the LPF point. LFE frequencies can go all the way up to 120 hz and therefore, you must set the LPF to 120 hz if you don’t want to lose any bass signal. Logically, you must set the LPF of the sub at 120 hz or higher.

3.   The subwoofer output was set to “LFE,” not “LFE+Main” (in the Onkyo AVR’s, that is termed “Double Bass”). If you use “LFE+Main,” the sub will reproduce the LFE channel, bass below the crossover point of “Small” speakers AND bass below the crossover point of “Large” speakers. These last bass signals will ALSO be reproduced by the “Large” speakers. Therefore, both the sub and the “Large” speakers will be reproducing the same bass signals and you will get boomy  bass.

4.   Set the volume of the sub at less than 50%. I am using 25%.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2008 at 01:13 PM by streetsmart »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Audyssey MultEQ XT
« Reply #269 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 12:05 PM »
This improved the bass but it wasn’t good enough so I took a next step, which was to upgrade my AVR from a Denon 2807 to a 2808. The 2807 has Audyssey MultEQ while the 2808 has Audyssey MultEQ XT. The Audyssey version in the 2808 is much more sophisticated, particularly in the bass region where it does 8 times more processing than the previous version. It can also sample 8 points vs the 6 of the previous version. I then spent a lot of time in the Audyssey thread of AVS Forum so that I could do the calibration properly. Some of the tips I got were as follows:

1.   There must be absolute silence during calibration.

2.   The mic must be set at ear height but if your chair has a high back, it should be set a few inches higher than the back of the chair.

3.   If your seat is leather, you should cover it with absorptive material, such as a blanket.

4.   Your measurement should be more or less in the shape of an oval, around your main listening position. The measurement points should not be too far from each other.

5.   You should use the lightest tripod possible. A heavy tripod may affect the readings.