Author Topic: DVDs distributed by Viva  (Read 14172 times)

Offline patupup

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Family Man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DVDs distributed by Viva
« on: Jan 08, 2002 at 04:40 AM »
Hi!

I recently bought a sealed R3 double disc Pearl Harbor from bejiboys.  He got it from Astrovision.  When I opened the case, there was no insert/leaflet inside the package. It only has the 2 discs inside it.  ???

I called up Astrovision and asked why.(since its my first time to see a DVD from Astrovision w/o an insert inside the box).  They told me that it was because the distributor of this DVD is VIVA and all their other DVDs doesn't have inserts/leaflets also.

Is there any truth in this?  

Do other members here have a Pearl Harbor R3 from Astrovision? Comments please....

Thanks!!!!
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2002 at 05:06 PM by Sumbong »
shuffle up and deal!

Offline stryder

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: DVDs distributed by VIVA
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2002 at 06:41 AM »
hi there...you're not alone!!!!!
i got mine from astrovision..and was just as surprised as you coz it's also my first time to encounter a dvd without an insert ( specially for a blockbuster movie like Pearl Harbor)...
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2002 at 07:48 AM »
I'm wondering at Viva's ineptness in handling the distribution of DVDs too. Gumagastos silang mag-promote nung VHS and VCDs nila, eh kung isabay na rin lang nila yung DVD (like with Magna/WB) eh di nakatipid pa sila.

And what's up with their pathetic selection of Fox DVDs? X-Files, Chain Reaction, Romeo + Juliet, ba't yun lang!? As compared to Magna/WB, natatalo sila tuloy ng mga pirates because they come out way ahead of the supposed Viva/Fox DVD releases. Also, they should start exploiting their Video City network in order to corner the DVD market, pero di naman nila ginagawa. It's so unreasonable.

Offline Vash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Love and Peace !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2002 at 03:36 AM »

I'm wondering at Viva's ineptness in handling the distribution of DVDs too. Gumagastos silang mag-promote nung VHS and VCDs nila, eh kung isabay na rin lang nila yung DVD (like with Magna/WB) eh di nakatipid pa sila.

And what's up with their pathetic selection of Fox DVDs? X-Files, Chain Reaction, Romeo + Juliet, ba't yun lang!? As compared to Magna/WB, natatalo sila tuloy ng mga pirates because they come out way ahead of the supposed Viva/Fox DVD releases. Also, they should start exploiting their Video City network in order to corner the DVD market, pero di naman nila ginagawa. It's so unreasonable.

I have a friend who works for Viva.  Binigyan niya ko ng list ng mga DVDs nila.  Talagang kokonti nga, price nila is P850 for Disney, P700 for Fox and P600 for Viva titles.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2002 at 06:10 PM »
Most of the Pirated(HQPDVD)DVD's that I see in greenhills are the ones mostly marketed by VIVA, for e.g. Toy Story 1&2,It even looks like the original and now..we have this reports,.. that they don't even have any inserts to distinguish them from the Pirates. :-[
If they will not improve their products,they will probably be the most likely to suffer from DVD piracy. :(

Offline patupup

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Family Man
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2002 at 11:47 PM »
I hope someone posts a list of DVDs released by VIVA, so we won't get disappointed the next time we buy from them.

Or worse, not buy from them anymore... :-[

Thanks.
shuffle up and deal!

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2002 at 04:59 AM »
When I bought Pearl Harbor from Astro in December, the sales people warned me that it really was missing the leaflet inside.

It was worse with "Unbreakable" - only one disk, just the feature film and don't remember if it had any extra features.

Recently I purchased "Snow White" for my daughter and the content list on the back cover was jumbled up. What gives? This is very shoddy work.

These particular experiences make me want to favor R1 over R3 in any import Viva release, it just doesn't seem like Viva imports are worth the money you put into it.

As much as I favor buying R3 over R1 when possible, this isn't the case with Viva. Hope they read this thread and take notice.
Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2002 at 06:34 PM »
This shows how Local Distributors (like Viva, shame on you)are way to thrift in distributing their videos.

No wonder why, some filipinos would rather buy a pirated nowadays if the quality and content are mostly the same???? >:(
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline quasar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2002 at 09:54 PM »
I've seen the standard Disney licensing agreement and I believe that Viva would not have much leeway as to what will go into a Disney DVD. The materials that go into the DVDs (disk content and packaging) come only from Disney. And if Viva does not have its own manufacturing plant, the disks will be manufactured by a Disney-approved supplier.

Thus, Disney/Buena Vista should bear part, if not most, of the responsibility for the lousy DVDs being released by Viva.

Offline downtown

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 01:57 AM »
I for one will not buy any VIVA released DVD in R3 but i will continue to support Warner and their price friendly R3 that are the same as R1 editions unless they release a pan and scan Harry Potter.

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 02:11 AM »

I for one will not buy any VIVA released DVD in R3...

amen to that...

but i will continue to support Warner and their price friendly R3 that are the same as R1 editions unless they release a pan and scan Harry Potter.

amen to that as well, particularly on the pan and scam part...  :)
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 02:17 AM »
pan & "Scam" typo error? :o

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 04:40 AM »

pan & "Scam" typo error? :o

nope!  no typo!  i believe that "pan and scan" is just a simplified term for "we're just gonna be hacking up this movie so we could just show you a partial view of it"...  for me, any movie presented other than its OAR (original aspect ratio) is a rip off (scam, ika nga  :))...  my mantra is "no OAR, no sale!!!"   ;D

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 05:04 PM »
Now I get it. Cool Dude.

(BTW are you a C. Webb/Peja/Vlade/M. Bibby/D. Christie/Bobby J. fan? because if so count me in to)

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 05:13 PM »

(BTW are you a C. Webb/Peja/Vlade/M. Bibby/D. Christie/Bobby J. fan? because if so count me in to)

yup... a kings fan since the shortened season...   :)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2002 at 09:11 AM »
Anyone interested to voice out or give suggestion  directly to Viva Video, here are the tel. numbers:9286921:9286924:9286926:9286929:9286931 :)

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re:DVDs distributed by VIVA
« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2002 at 07:52 PM »
There's a VIVA DVD sale at all Makro store, PinoyDVDs now go for Php349.00, Foriegn Films distributed by Viva goes for Php 659.00, the Ad, I've read stated that  this is inclusive of the 10% VAT.
The catch is you'll have to be a Makro member.

Offline Toots

• Collector
  • G. Diddy
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 30, 2002 at 08:03 AM »
i also have the pearl harbor dvd from viva and i have to say i was really disappointed on the cheap 2 disc dvd case they used and the lack of insert inside....what a disappointment!

kings5504, sayang yung season nila...galeng ni mike bibby! hanep!

Offline pioneer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 01, 2002 at 06:49 AM »
Well, after all the complaints regarding VIVA's DVDs, lalong mawawala ng ganang bumili tayo niyan.

Haaaay naku...only in the Philippines.  >:(
Kentobiminekekwek !!!

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 01, 2002 at 07:14 AM »
Packaging aside, the VIVA released MOULIN ROUGE is actually quite good! And faithful to the R1 version in content. I was rather surprised because VIVA has had a reputation for releasing sucky R3 versions of R1 titles. It seems the R3 of Moulin Rouge is a rare exception.  I have an extensive review of this title over here:
http://www.pinoydvd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=4693

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2002 at 07:25 AM »
In addition to Moulin Rouge, Viva also has Romeo and Juliet, Braveheart,Patton and Planet Of The Apes which seemingly has the same contents as the R1 release. Now regarding the packaging of Pearl Harbor, I have the R1 version and I believe the Viva packaging has a better longevity, since the R1 once, the deterioration starts, it'll be hard to restore, however with the Viva, all you'll need is to get a newer Amaray case and that's it. Furthermore, think, you can get this DVD at Php 659.00 only as compared to Php1,000(2nd hand) to Php 1,500 for a Region 1 copy.

NY152

« Reply #21 on: Jul 01, 2002 at 08:13 AM »

In addition to Moulin Rouge, Viva also has Romeo and Juliet, Braveheart,Patton and Planet Of The Apes which seemingly has the same contents as the R1 release.

You sure about PLANET OF THE APES, Alfie? I looked at the disc, and I thought it was feature and trailer only.

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 01, 2002 at 09:55 AM »
NY152 I am not really sure, that's why I used the word "seemingly", I just included it sine I cam across a post here somewhere stating that it was 2 disc, and not one, the post also confirmed that Fight Club has only one disc...anybody who knows, kindly help clarify the Viva release regarding Planet Of The Apes.
Let me add, "The Beach" also has Seemingly the same R1 features. ;) ;D

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #23 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 11:36 PM »
Planet of the Apes R3 appears to be a single-disc bare-bones DVD. walang nakalagay sa likod ng case eh, kahit trailer wala.

ID4 R3 appears to have all the features of the 5-Star Collection. This is a two-disc set.

now, I have the ff DVDs from Viva and they all have the same features as the R1 version:
    • The Beach
    • Don't Say A Word
    • Romeo+Juliet (no Easter Egg)
    • Braveheart[/b]

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
    • irimi nage
    • Liked:
    « Reply #24 on: Jul 05, 2002 at 01:08 AM »
    hey guys,
    Does VIVA go on sale like Warner?Was looking at ID4 in Astro just today.Can't remember the price but definitely not less than P800.00.Been contemplating on getting that title. It does have a lot of features.Ugly cover though.Romeo & Juliet has an acceptable case.I guess. 8)
    Got the Final Fantasy R3.Ganoon pala ang 2 discs ng R3, on opposite sides.Is this casing similar to Snow White R3 and Star Trek?Hate this casing for 2 discs.

Elf 8)
    It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
    • Liked:
    « Reply #25 on: Jul 05, 2002 at 01:14 AM »
    ganun talaga ang mga two-disk R3, opposite sides nakalagay.

if you're going to buy VIVA, kung may makikita kang white translucent case, I suggest you pick that one. lahat ng covers ng VIVA, baliktaran ang print. so kung black yung case, nde mo makikita yung print on the other side unless alisin mo.

btw, the newer VIVA releases, even though single-disc DVDs, pang double-disc yung case. but the older ones, like Don't Say A Word, single-disc lang yung case. wala talagang insert pero baliktaran pa rin yung print sa cover.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
    • Suspended
    • Liked:
    « Reply #26 on: Jul 05, 2002 at 08:45 AM »

Yup most of the new ones are in a translucent case (It does not come close to its region 1 counterpart).

Price is around P750-P800+ (Foreign Films)

While the P450 standard for Filipino DVD Films

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
    • Liked:
    « Reply #27 on: Jul 05, 2002 at 04:53 PM »

ganun talaga ang mga two-disk R3, opposite sides nakalagay.

if you're going to buy VIVA, kung may makikita kang white translucent case, I suggest you pick that one. lahat ng covers ng VIVA, baliktaran ang print. so kung black yung case, nde mo makikita yung print on the other side unless alisin mo.

btw, the newer VIVA releases, even though single-disc DVDs, pang double-disc yung case. but the older ones, like Don't Say A Word, single-disc lang yung case. wala talagang insert pero baliktaran pa rin yung print sa cover.

Thanks for the info, SiCkBoY!

Kanina ko lang nakita 'yung likod ng R3 Sound of Music ko.  Meron din palang nakalagay sa likod.  They should have used the transparent case for this 2-disc set.

rafgar
    ;D

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
    • Liked:
    Re:DVDs distributed by Viva
    « Reply #28 on: Jul 21, 2002 at 09:38 PM »
    you're welcome. however, i also discovered that some Viva DVDs do not contain that print on the back of the cover i.e. Keeping the Faith and Coyote Ugly.  ;D

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
    • PinoyDVD Legend
    • Liked:
    • Likes Given: 10
    Re:DVDs distributed by Viva
    « Reply #29 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 10:00 AM »
    I bought a 2 disk pearl harbor which i think is from viva dahil walang leaflet tapos medy may problema sa dialogue pag naka DTS sa Disk 2..then yung plastic cover ay nag uumpisa nnang kumulubot...ang pangit tingnan.....

Paano mo malalaman na Viva release ang isang DVD?
    Walang Setup