Author Topic: Warner Bros DVDs suck?  (Read 3853 times)

Offline cpudle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Warner Bros DVDs suck?
« on: Jan 14, 2002 at 05:58 AM »
Just asking if anyone has the same observation that most WB dvds are terrible, not only terms of features but also the video quality. I have Amadeus, LA Confidential, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and they're just really bad in my opinion (with the notable exception of The Matrix). They're all R3. Are WB R1s better? Should I just get R1 if its a WB title. Columbia Tristar titles on the other hand are so much better, I think.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Warner Bros DVDs suck?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2002 at 06:33 PM »
In Warner's case, getting the R1 version doesn't really make much of a difference. Warner was an early adopter of the DVD format in the late 90s and released a respectable number of titles including the ones you mentioned. These first generation DVDs lack common features like filmed documentaries, deleted scenes, commentary tracks, etc. Instead, you get several screens of production notes and cast bios. In certain cases, older titles like Amadeus and Goodfellas are flipper discs because of the film's length. At that time, dual layer discs were a rarity hence the need to split the movies into 2 parts.

There are rumours that Warner will start re-releasing some of these titles as Special Edition DVDs. Amadeus is on the list. Willy Wonka, for example, was re-released least year in a remastered edition that featured a new documentary and commentary by the original cast.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2002 at 02:38 AM »
cpudle- Maybe you can give them a piece of your mind at Warner Home Video Phils at 3rd floor, JMT Bldg., ADB avenue.  Tel no. 6321401. "That'll learn 'em!" ;D

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2002 at 11:57 AM »
Actually, Warner Bros is one of the better supporters of the R3 DVD market. Except of course for language and subtitle tracks, their R3s are nearly identical to their R1s. The trouble with the titles you mentioned doesn't stem from their being from Warner's, but from the fact that they are some of the earliest DVDs ever released. Dual layer DVDs weren't even being produced then (which is why Amadeus is a flipper). Actually, I'm surprised that you think that the L.A. Confidential DVD was bad, as at the time of its release, it was praised as one of the better DVDs that came out. Where WB DVDs really suck though is the godawful snapper case packaging.

Anyway, I don't think it'd do much good to call up WHV to complain about the DVDs you already have. It would help though if you do call to pester them to release more Special Editions and more DVDs from New Line.

Now, the suckiest of all studios with regards to R3 DVDs has got to be 20th Century Fox. Followed closely by Dreamworks and Miramax. Yeah, there are some Fox/Dreamworks/Miramax movies on R3 out there, but if you look closely you'll discover that these particular films were all co-produced with other studios.

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2002 at 06:17 AM »
I agree with Jude, I totally praise WB for making R3 DVD's identical to R1's.  I just hope they will also release R3 releases of New Line and HBO DVD's which are subsidiaries of Warner.
Listen to the silence...

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Warner Bros DVDs
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 09:15 PM »

I agree with Jude and Starman. 8)

Warner Brothers DVD's are probably the best locally available R3 DVD's compared to their R1 counterparts.

In my experience too, they stand behind their products as I have not had a problem replacing Warner DVD's for any defects in packaging or the disc (have yet to encounter this).

Actually you can almost say the same for MagnaVision (Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment) with the exception of a few titles and some of their Paramount releases that come in lousy cases that you can easily replace anyway with original Amarays. Feature wise, most CTHE discs are almost the same as R1 but some important titles for us collectors aren't at par with R1. Plus I feel that they are scrimping on title releases - it takes a while for a title to get here and it most likely will be the "almost bare bones" edition.

So, in my opinion, Warners take the prize for the best R3 DVD's hands down. DVD quality is the same as R1 - if it's a lousy R3, you can bet it's lousy R1 too. ;) DVD release dates (for movies released theatrically within 2 months of US release) are simultaneous. ;D
Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 05:20 AM »
when this thread was started in around 2002, warner has not yet released its special editions and look now........warner has heard your prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. naglabasan na ang mga special editions nila, ala criterion na!

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 08:59 AM »
i agree with uebetan, warner ang best releaser ng R3 ngayon,,, btw, nakakahilo yung mga exclamation points mo... hehe ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 09:21 AM »
Warner in my opinion is number 1 na right now.

;D

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2006 at 12:49 AM »
I think Warner has some flaws especially on the Island DVD.

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2006 at 01:27 AM »
i was disappointed, too, with earlier wb releases.  not only that the movies were not in their best qualities, they also lack bonus features. but today, i praise them for coming up with deluxe editions!  imported pa and at a much lower price compared to magnavision release. however, napaisip ako, dahil imported na ang mga warner release, that would mean lesser jobs for pinoys, right? that's sad...
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2006 at 10:32 AM »
I think Warner has some flaws especially on the Island DVD.

viper, ano flaw dun?
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline Grandpoobah

• DVD Addict
  • Mwahaha- talo kayo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2006 at 10:53 AM »
Hahaha! Mas ok pa nga ang Warner eh.

Try C Interactive Media DVDs - the embodiment of orig DVDs that suck

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2006 at 01:38 PM »
viper, ano flaw dun?
Walang commentary.

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2006 at 01:39 PM »
Hahaha! Mas ok pa nga ang Warner eh.

Try C Interactive Media DVDs - the embodiment of orig DVDs that suck
Pirated DVDs > C-Interactive "orig" DVDs

Offline munky

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • who's who?
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2006 at 09:34 PM »
Count me in.  Warner, for me, is #1.  Their latest release at P499, P550 and even P599 for Corpse Bride is "Presyong Pinoy".  Yun nga lang hindi maganda ang casing at wala na inserts.

# 2 is VIVA.  Their P299 sale is really a hit.  Yun nga lang palitan sana nila back cover ng DVD.

# 3 is Magnavision.  P375 and P475 is not bad.  Pero sana tigilan na nila ang budget DVDs.  Gayahin na nila ang Warner.

Syempre ang worst....... alam nyo na yun  :D   
Still world peace

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2006 at 12:10 AM »
Walang commentary.

available naman yun thourgh the DVD-ROM feature, hassle nga lng sa pag download nung commentary, though hindi naman flaw yun para sa akin. Warner's still the best...

Offline uebetan12

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2006 at 04:20 AM »
meron pang parating na bagong digitally remastered dvds ang warner,ang special editions ng the searchers {1956} at stagecoach {1939}.meron na akong kopya ng mga unang labas nito but it will worth a double dip,lalo nakung ise sale nila ito ng tag P350 gaya ng mga philadelphia story nila at bringing up baby na parahong nasa top 100 movies of all time ng american film institute

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • ALL your BASE are BELONG to US...
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 08:13 PM »
I agree with Jude, I totally praise WB for making R3 DVD's identical to R1's.  I just hope they will also release R3 releases of New Line and HBO DVD's which are subsidiaries of Warner.

Comment lang po,...if you've been spending a lot of time browsing thru video shelves, some of the New Line Cinema releases are locally distributed by C-Interactive (namely: LOTR), but I could be wrong. Can you cite some New Line movies that have been released on DVD by Warner? Thanks.
Screws fall off everytime. The world is an imperfect place...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 08:46 PM »
Can you cite some New Line movies that have been released on DVD by Warner? Thanks.

I'm not aware of any. I think they're all under C-Interactive. At the time Ziggy Stardust posted that message, back in 2002, there were NO New Line titles in the Philippine R3 market. I think it was just a hope that they would be also be released by Warner, and one that unfortunately didn't come true.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline cel-shaded

• Collector
  • Forum Visitor
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006 at 10:23 AM »
Late last year ko lang nakita yung mga DVD versions ng previously-only-on-VCD Jackie Chan movies (Drunken Master 2, Rumble in the Bronx, Mr Nice Guy), dahil late last year lang yata nagkaroon talaga.

#1 comment ko lang, walang English subs yung mga DVDs, or karamihan ng nabili kong DVD: Who Am I?, Mr Nice Guy.

Yung DVD case nila, pareho din sa ibang R1 cases. ;D

Offline chinoh151

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006 at 03:26 PM »
I dont think arner sucks. They bring us a lot of classics.  ;D