Author Topic: Toshiba HDA2  (Read 19680 times)

Offline rafmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Toshiba HDA2
« on: Aug 24, 2007 at 07:45 PM »
Is this HD-DVD a good buy? I might go to the US and purchase this if its any good. Here is the model HD-A2 it retails for less than $270.

Toshiba HD DVD Player (HDA2)
TOP   HDA2 
• Plays HD DVD discs
• 720p, 1080i
• Multi-channel decoders  • HDMI interface
• HDMI upconversion
• Ethernet connection 

Toshiba HDA2

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
Re: Toshiba HDA2
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 08:56 PM »
Why don't you go for the HD-A20 model which is already 1080P?? It's as little US$ 316 or just US$50 more from the HD-A2 model??

Offline rafmac

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 09:14 PM »
yup, i agree at first i did not see the HDA20, so do you think the HDA20 would be a good buy?

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 09:41 PM »
There is news that Toshiba will soon be releasing their 3rd generation HD DVD in time for the Holiday season. It is rumoured to be even cheaper than the present models. If you can wait, they may be bundled with better offers during the Holiday season.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 12:48 PM »
At Amazon, the HD-A2 is selling at $238.88 with free shipping plus the 8 FREE HD DVD promo!!  :o

Yes, as mentioned by Mouldingo, it may be worthwhile to wait a bit longer esp after the release of 3rd gen models...the offer can only getting better!  :D 

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2007 at 12:48 PM by pchin »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 12:52 PM »
At Amazon, the HD-A2 is selling at $238.88 with free shipping plus the 8 FREE HD DVD promo!!  :o

Yes, as mentioned by Mouldingo, it may be worthwhile to wait a bit longer esp after the release of 3rd gen models...the offer can only getting better!  :D 

8 HD DVDs is already worth at least $160......very good deal indeed.    Actually a lot of BD only enthusiasts has started to go neutral...and the Amazon Buy 2 take 1 deal surely helped in finalizing decisions.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 01:18 PM »
Actually a lot of BD only enthusiasts has started to go neutral...and the Amazon Buy 2 take 1 deal surely helped in finalizing decisions.

Yes, it's a great promo indeed....good to hear some fanboys have finally gone out from their shelves & start going neutral...  ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 06:10 PM »
here's a lowdown on the value you will get from getting a Toshiba HD-A2 now at Amazon....

It sells now for $238 and has a shipping weight of 13 lbs.   If JAC's rate is still $10 plus $5.5 per pound for pinoydvd members, shipping would cost $81.50. So that would add up around $320 landed cost or P15336.00..........and dont forget the 8 HD DVD titles you'll get, a $160 value, half of the landed cost of the player. 

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 07:09 PM »
i have to point out though that the free BD/HDDVD can only be delivered to american and canadian addresses. and it takes  a while to get the 5 disc mail in rebate. some hd-dvd orders take as long as 8 months tapos yung iba hindi na talaga dumadating. bluray's promo has only been around a couple of months but there have been horror stories of orders arriving ripped open w/ different or missing discs.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2404
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 08:20 PM »
here's a lowdown on the value you will get from getting a Toshiba HD-A2 now at Amazon....

It sells now for $238 and has a shipping weight of 13 lbs.   If JAC's rate is still $10 plus $5.5 per pound for pinoydvd members, shipping would cost $81.50. So that would add up around $320 landed cost or P15336.00..........and dont forget the 8 HD DVD titles you'll get, a $160 value, half of the landed cost of the player. 
To me 15 thousand plus for this player is really worth it. I remember buying my sony dvd player for 14 thousand few years back, no upscalers then.. this is just those low enders..By the way A couple of questions..Is the handling of JAC safe for these electronics?..2nd can you address the 5 free discs to JAC in New York and they will just ship it to you here?

On a side note, slightly off topic...Imagine the price difference of this a2 and what they are selling in Anson's, automatic center etc. A2 is 15 plus thousand and the E1 here is selling for 39,900. How will these stuff sell in the Philippines, I dont know..

Secondly, Im not bragging that I know a lot, which I really dont... but I will tell you guys a story, which I think these appliance stores should get more education for the hd market to start taking off..
I was in the appliance madness recently in glorietta and was comparing the Toshiba 4768e to the samsung 46m81. I brought a couple of my dvds, bluray and hddvd discs for testing. First up at samsung, they dont have any bluray so im out of luck. Then went to toshiba and played hulk hddvd on it. I then talked to the toshiba guy if he can use the same player and plug it in the samsung tv. We went ahead to samsung and this is the real funny part. The salesman at samsung said that they are blu-ray exclusive so that toshiba player will not play on their tv..We go huh?? You are kidding right?? Anyway we got it to run on their samsung and  my conclusion and opinion is the Samsung wins hands down..

Anyway to me these are the things that these salesman have to know. They have to know the basics. Maybe someone/representative (from sony, toshiba, samsung etc..) have to have a  forum with these salesmen. I dont know a lot also from these stuff especially when it comes to audio, and it will be a great help for everybody if these salesman know what they are talking about and really educate the consumers..However I know these things happen in america also..They are also not well educated with what they are selling..

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 08:59 PM »
To me 15 thousand plus for this player is really worth it. I remember buying my sony dvd player for 14 thousand few years back, no upscalers then.. this is just those low enders..By the way A couple of questions..Is the handling of JAC safe for these electronics?..2nd can you address the 5 free discs to JAC in New York and they will just ship it to you here?

I got my Hd-a1 thru this route, and I could say their service is pretty good on my end.   Yeah, that is a possibility, to address the 5 free disc thru JAc, though you have to pay shipping for them...or maybe if you have some relatives in the US, pasabay na lang pag me umuwi.....

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 10:04 PM »

WOW!!! is it 8 hd dvd movies free now from amazon? i thought it was only 5 free discs? when did this start?
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 11:09 PM »
its 3 movies free from amazon and 5 w/ the mail in rebate

Offline rafmac

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 12:04 PM »

how do i do this? Do I go to their office and tell them I wan this certain dvd player? Can someone provide me with theproceedures or contacts to facilitate this type of transactions thru JAC? thanks.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 03:33 PM »
rafmac, try searching the following link:  :)

Johnny Air    

Regrettably, this promo is no longer valid. However, for the purchae of Xbox 360 HD DVD player will still entitle you to 8 HD DVDs for free.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 31, 2007 at 08:37 AM »
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player is the top-selling electronics item on Amazon.com

The Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player is the top-selling electronics item on Amazon.com,and the Web site is giving consumers added incentive to buy one.

Through Sept. 23, customers who buy a Toshiba HD-A2, HD-A20 or HD-XA2 will get three out of 55 HD DVDs offered on Amazon.com at no charge, in addition to the five free HD DVDs the HD DVD Promotion Group has been offering in its rebate program. The HD DVD Promotion Group rebate offer ends Oct. 31.

“We are pleased to see that consumers are continuing to adopt HD DVD as their format of choice for high definition movie entertainment,” said Toshiba spokeswoman Jodi Sally. “We are confident this sales trend will continue as price continues to be a deciding factor in consumers’ purchases.

“Free movies promotions also continue to drive hardware sales at retail. We learned this when we introduced DVD players over 10 years ago. The HD DVD Promotion Group started a free movie promotion on Toshiba’s players in November 2006 [and] this continues to be successful in driving player sales and continues to be promoted at many of our key retailers.”

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/index.cfm?sec_id=2&newsid=11103

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 31, 2007 at 09:53 AM »
Blu-ray matches HD DVD offer at Amazon.com
(8/30/2007)
CHRIS TRIBBEY, HMM

A day after HD DVD agreed to a promotion where customers who buy a Toshiba HD-A2, HD-A20 or HD-XA2 get three out of 55 HD DVDs offered on Amazon.com at no charge — in addition to the five free HD DVDs the HD DVD Promotion Group has been offering in its rebate program — a similar offer for Blu-ray Disc has popped up.

Through Sept. 23, customers who buy a 60G or 80G PlayStation 3 at the site will get three out of 106 Blu-ray Discs offered on Amazon.com at no charge, in addition to the five free Blu-rays the Blu-ray Disc Association has been offering.

The BDA’s offer ends Oct. 31.

“It’s a time honored promotion,” said Steve Feldstein, SVP of corporate and marketing communications with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, a Blu-ray supporter. “If they weren’t successful, we wouldn’t repeat it.

Both promotions have seen a boost in hardware sales: The HD-A2 climbed to No. 1 in Amazon.com’s electronics bestseller list Aug. 28 and stayed there, while the HD-XA2 climbed 50 spots. In the video game bestsellers list, the 80G PS3 jumped nearly 50 spots to hit the top 60, and the 60G leapfrogged the Wii one spot to take No. 2 overall, behind the HD DVD add-on for the Xbox 360.

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 31, 2007 at 12:58 PM »
bluray matches? e sabay lang sila nagpromo a

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 09:13 AM »
sa 2nd gen toshiba which player does 1080p/24?  i cant remember parang wala yata? please correct me if im wrong. im anticipating their price drop when the 3rd gen comes out and it might be a good buy for one.
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2007 at 09:17 AM by dB10 »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 02:52 PM »
Only 3rd gen players A30 & A35 are capable of 1080p/24.

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 10:39 PM »
thanks bro, now kailangan na naman mag hintay sa price drop or go for the xa2 na, hahaay  ???

Offline RPG

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 08:37 AM »
anybody knows what the prices are of toshiba hd dvd players in Singapore? cheaper kaya? thanks

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 06:06 AM »
sa 2nd gen toshiba which player does 1080p/24?

Only 3rd gen players A30 & A35 are capable of 1080p/24.

**Furthermore, Toshiba said it would issue a firmware update via Ethernet to its existing HD-XA2 and HD-A20 models, enabling them to process 1080p content at 24 frames per second.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2007 at 08:55 PM »
amazon promo is back! (so far, only for gen 2 models)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_5510702_3/103-5806135-7401418?ie=UTF8&docId=1000133851&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gp-right-1&pf_rd_r=13R9A36XA4D581W3KDBS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=310080001&pf_rd_i=1065836

WoW :o :o :o Yung A20 1080P is almost US $300 with free shipping...Pero I'm still locked on the A30, hopefully may promo when it comes out too. ;D ;D ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 13, 2007 at 09:25 AM »
Toshiba HD-A2 price at Amazon is down to $222.50 :)

In view of this, when the Chinese players are relased there's a big possibility it's at the $199 mark.  ;D

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 13, 2007 at 10:26 PM »
Sometimes, I don't want to see updates on these players especially when the prices are going down.  Makes me tell myself, "why didn't I wait?" heheheh  ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 08:44 AM »
I know what you mean... ;D

Here's another update. This time it's getting dirt cheap!  :P

Toshiba HDA2 at $199 from beachcamera.com!!!  :o

Click HERE (add to the cart to see the super low price)
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2007 at 08:44 AM by pchin »

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #28 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 11:15 AM »
prices in amazon fluctuates because sometimes, the item is not eligible for free shipping within US. If ever it is not eligible, shipping cost for the hd player could cost around 29 dollars.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2007 at 11:21 AM by hubes »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 11:59 AM »
The Toshiba HD players selling tru Amazon since Match 2007 come with FREE shipping within USA.

I suppose the lower price could due to stock clearance & anticipation of the newer Tosh 3rd gen players.