Author Topic: TOSHIBA 37A3000; need opinions  (Read 921 times)

Offline Vicious-chan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
TOSHIBA 37A3000; need opinions
« on: Sep 26, 2007 at 02:39 AM »
Hey guys, I'm purchasing my first real LCD this week and I figured the buy one take one deal Abensons has going for the TOSHIBA 37A3000 this week is just too good to completely ignore. According to them, the specs are as follows:

Dynamic Contrast Ration: 5000:1
Resolution: standard fair, I can never remember the exact number of those things. 1368x700 something something
HDMI port: 1
Response time: 8ms

Now, I haven't seen this TV in person yet since I only inquired over the phone. Doing a quick check on google, I get this: http://www.popularelect.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=14&products_id=628&osCsid=861a011dfd03d17a322c1632803edc29

Apologies for the ridiculously long URL, but those specs don't seem up to snuff with the description they gave me over the phone. Specifically, the seriously lower contrast ratio. Of course, I called Abensons again and they explained me that the contrast ratio listed on the website is probably the 'native' contrast ratio, and not Dynamic, like the ones I see on Samsung displays. Is there any truth to this? Also, just general opinions regarding the TOSHIBA 37A3000 would be greatly appreciated. I've been canvasing for an LCD use my PS3 on for months. I've been kickin' with a Samsung 940MG for far too long. : )
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2007 at 02:40 AM by Vicious-chan »

Offline rx330

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: TOSHIBA 37A3000; need opinions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 11:51 AM »
dynamic contrast  = native contrast X 5

nothing to shout abt the A3000, from wat i see its just a reassemble wl66e and support hdmi1.3 , other than tat, i dun see any improvements from the previos models

Offline Vicious-chan

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 02:12 AM »
Thanks for shameless advertising in my thread asking for help. Jesus christ.

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 12:12 PM »
Let me share my opinion on issue about contrast ratio.  The specs of contrast ratio seems to be quite confusing due to the fact that manufacturers have different methods of contrast measurement. With different methods, the result produces different measured values, though 'remarkably different measured values can sometimes produce similar results (quoted from Wikipedia).'  In other words, different contrast number from different measuring methods may sometimes produce similar results.  For example, an on-screen 1500:1 contrast TV like Sony KLV32U300 will reveal as good as a Toshiba 32A3000 that has 1200:1 contrast ratio.

The rule of thumb is to do comparative evaluation.  Try visit a shop and ask for TV demo comparison. Ask the sales person to run the TVs from the same video source utilizing a video splitter.   With this method, you can see the difference.  The consumers see what they get.

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 05:55 PM »
Just go to stores like abenson or western to make an initial audition since they have lots of flat screen tv on display. Narrow your choices to 2-3 tvs then try to look for feedbacks from the internet. Whats the use of a a great PQ if their customer service sucks. Then finally go to stores like theater works or the store of E-reply, since they give better prices. make a final audition and bring home your new tv  ;D

Just check the features that you need. (like 1080p support for your PS3, # of hdmi etc) then for the PQ, let your eyes(and wallet) decide