Author Topic: Need opinions on what to purchase  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Gboy29

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need opinions on what to purchase
« on: Sep 28, 2007 at 03:38 PM »
Good day!

Im on a hunt for a new TV. My problem is im currently choosing between the Panasonic viera 42pv70h, and  the 37"Phillips Full HD LCD .  I was leaning towards the panasonic but then I saw the new model of phillips so I can't decide.  Both have the same price at 89,900  the pana is bigger at 42" but the pihillips is full HD 2megapixel.

Any comments regarding this models? I wanted the phillips because it's already Full Hd. I just have some questions, hope you guys can help me out:

1.) What's the difference between the picture quality of both? Since the phillips is full HD 1080p I assume this is better?
2.)The one is plasma while the other is LCD, I don't really know their advantages, But if I use a blu ray player would the phillips be superior in quality because its full HD?
3.) Would there be noticeable differences in PQ if ever I play ordinary dvd's on both?
4.) Any advantages of the full hd of phillips compared to panasonic which plays 1080p but not full hd? plasma and lcd picture quality?

Sorry for the questions, Im new to this lcd/plasma comparisons. I just want to make sure my 90k would be worth it!

I am confused! hehe, If you were in my position what would you guys get and why?
I was about to purchase the samsung 37" r series but changed my mind because it wont play 1080p in full screen(have to adjust to lower reso) unlike the panasonic which will play it even if its not full hd.

Thanks in advance! hopefully I can decide which one to get after your opinions!

Offline rx330

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Need opinions on what to purchase
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 04:08 PM »
unless ur viewing distance is 3 feet, i suggest u get the panny better

philip came to my mind wen purchasing my unit, but it was never a consideration for me, even though its a cheap price for a fullHD panel

1) u need to know wats material ur feeding the display only can do a comparison
2)i dun think its noticeable
3) if the both are the same size, and play on a normal player, my guess would be the fullHD panel will look more pixelated
4) tis one u need to see it for urself

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 04:39 PM »
Sir, I own a panasonic 42pv70h and so far happy naman ako. mahal yung 90k, just visit the audio-video thread under general section. Matutuwa ka sa mga price nila hehe I cant comment on the HD PQ dahil wla pa akong bluray player..

Iko-comercial ko narin si sir jeff dito, baka bigyan ako ng ipod haha Bought mine from Theater Works

Plasma
 pros - good for standard def
        - blacker blacks
 cons - burn-in?
        - image retention
        - power consumtion pero konti lng diff

LCD
 pros - whiter white hehe pero napantayan na ata ng plasma
 cons - dead pixel
        - not good in standard def
        - refresh rate

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 04:45 PM »
Sir Gboy29:

To my mind your question boils down to the "Plasma vs. LCD" query. 

You might want to browse the Plasma vs. LCD thread, starting with page 4:  http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=19901.84.  The discussions will help you familiarize yourself with this perennial topic.

In the meantime, allow me to share some of my views:

I just have some questions, hope you guys can help me out:

1.) What's the difference between the picture quality of both? Since the phillips is full HD 1080p I assume this is better?
2.)The one is plasma while the other is LCD, I don't really know their advantages, But if I use a blu ray player would the phillips be superior in quality because its full HD?
3.) Would there be noticeable differences in PQ if ever I play ordinary dvd's on both?
4.) Any advantages of the full hd of phillips compared to panasonic which plays 1080p but not full hd? plasma and lcd picture quality?

Questions 1) & 2).  Plasma will be better in a dark room; LCD will be better in a bright room. 

1080p will not necessarily be better because resolution is not the most important aspect of picture quality. 

According to the ISF (Imaging Science Foundation), the most important aspects of picture quality are:  1. contrast ratio, 2. color saturation, 3. color accuracy, and 4. resolution, in that order.  Note that resolution is actually the least important among the four aspects.   

Plasma v LCD, Pioneer proves pixel count isn't everything
Friday September 21, 2007
By Adam TURNER

http://www.hydrapinion.com/index.php/play/2007/09/21/plasma_v_lcd_pioneer_proves_pixel_count_

Question 3).  Yes.  On standard DVDs, plasma will definitely look better.  On high def, plasma and LCD picture quality willl be very, very close.   

Question 4).  Yes, at closer viewing distances.  The LCD with full HD native resolution will have a sharper picture if viewed from a distance of less than 5 feet.   http://www.carltonbale.com/wp-content/uploads/resolution_chart.png

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2007 at 01:39 PM by barrister »

Offline rx330

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 11:12 AM »
support panny plasma pv70h :D for the best price as well as many other goodies

Offline pirate_captain

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 11:49 AM »
I believe the panasonic is available for 70k now. dont pay 90k anywhere for this :D

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 01:22 PM »
Let me share my opinion about plasma and LCD TV, and also my observations on the picture of full HD LCD TV and Panasonic Plasma. Hopefully, our opinion here shall provide partial answers to Gboy29's concern.

Generally, people choose Plasma over LCD because of its picture quality: Plasma TV delivers richer and natural color; it displays faithful black that provides better contrast; it also handles efficiently the fast-moving images . Plasma TV is the ideal choice for movie and sports viewing audience. If you're watching a racing car zooming around the track, or a tennis ball flying through the air, it will be crisp and clear with no blur on a Plasma TV.

The Plasma TV is available in the size bigger than 40".  It is not available in the lower size TV. Consumers prefer Plasma to LCD for larger screen sizes as they are ideal for big screen viewing. They prefer LCD TVs in small screen sizes of 37 inches and below, as they are ideal for smaller living spaces and brightly lit areas.

At Sights and Sounds, we did side by side comparison on a full HD LCD TV (we use Sony KLV40X200), and Panasonic TH42PV70 with a Pioneer demo disc played on the Pioneer DV600 dvd player that ran thru HDMI splitter.  Upscaling both TVs to 1080p, our finding was the TH42PV70 has better picture quality. Panasonic has vibrant but natural color than LCD TV (probably because of its 29 billion colors). It produces better black, especially on night scene movie.  It has good contrast that differentiate black to white. Its deep blacks provide excellent shadow detail, while brilliant whites allow this Plasma TV to render bright scenes with vivid realism. By the way, LCD TV's tend to have difficulty going fully "black" because of backlight difficulty to shine through LCD panel.

Although LCD TVs usually show object with jagged appearance when presented with fast motion picture, like Fast and the Furious movie. the Sony KLV40X200 doesn't show any blur despite of its susceptible to delay.

We also played both TVs at 1080p with Pioneer bluray BDPLX70. The result was that both TVs that are capable of accepting a 1080p source shows virtually identical in details. The differences in picture sharpness are minor and hard to identify. It is difficult for us to see the picture differences presented at a Full HD TV and one with lower native resolution. The differences might become somewhat apparent if you sit close to the screen.

In some reviews, Full HD TV is claimed to look better with the HD broadcast than with the software presentation.  Until we have HD broadcast, we believe we cannot justify this issue here.

Our conclusion is Panasonic TH42PV70 is more worthwhile to own than to have a Full HD TV which can only provide very minor differences in picture presentation.

By the way, we wish to enlighten the public of this observation: We often see LCD TVs look very good in the showroom. That's because the LCD TV was deliberately set by the manufacturer for it to look bright and good on the showroom floor. However, when you bring home the set, you soon discover that its bright picture quality is not tolerable to your viewing. Chances are you will tone-down the brightness, and soon you will see that the LCD TV won't look as good as plasma TV anymore.

For more on-site comparison of TVs, we invite readers to visit our shop at Shangri-La Plaza.

Offline Gboy29

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 03:56 PM »
Wow! Many thanks for the replies! I think i've decided my purchase which is the panasonic!
Yesterday I just saw a sony full hd lcd and panasonic plasma side by side, and the plasma was clearly better in my eyes.

I almost got the samsung r series 37" last week but decided against it since I saw the pana plasma and the full hd lcd and that's why I went here for opinions! Very big help!

I think 70k is for cash price, using my credit card they told me 89,900 for 18mos. I'm gonna look for a better deal. Anyone knows a lower price? Or have some freebies like a dvd player with it?

Thank you so much guys! 

Offline pirate_captain

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 09:09 PM »
You should contact the poster above you (e-reply) you wont get better prices. ;) or you can contact nemesis (jeff) from theatreworks trinoma

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 02:05 PM »
gboy! nice choice on the pana! welcome to the club! hehe dont forget to post your reviews on the pana thread

Offline rx330

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 10:21 AM »
another panny pv user soon  ;D

Offline Gboy29

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 03:37 PM »
thanks guys!
will be purchasing the unit on wednesday! I'll go around that day hehe!

One question: Does a dvd with hdmi has better PQ than my standard dvd player ? what difference does it make?

thanks

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 04:08 PM »
thanks guys!

One question: Does a dvd with hdmi has better PQ than my standard dvd player ? what difference does it make?

thanks

hi sir, go to my shop at Trinoma, and we'll explain everything that you need to know. And test all the plasma or lcd u want using bluray player and ordinary player. best price best deals, how low can you go. ;)

sir Trig and pirate_captain.... advertising na yan ha! hehehe.... cheers to you both. ;D

Offline rx330

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 09:11 PM »
if only i have sellers like nemesis in my country  :'(

an upsclaer player would be better than ur standard player , which normally would be upsclae only thru hdmi

Offline khaydlc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 09:34 PM »
by following this thread parang si sir Nemesis91 is working in theatre works trinoma... tama ba'ko?

if yes, Sir patulong naman... hindi ko lang talaga malamn kung anong dapat kong bilhin, a cheaper one with very good quality na 37" LCD.  Hopefully may promo's like free HT or any freebies.  Budget ko 60 to 70k... meron kaya? Pasenysa na pero out of the country kasi ako kaya hindi ako makaikot sa metro para mag price hunting.

Offline alfie7

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 10:26 AM »
satisfy ako sa 42PV70 nabili kong last month sa Sights and Sounds. Magaling sila mag explain, kahit tungkul sa upscaling ng DVD player.  E-reply sagot ka naman kay gboy...hehehe...

Offline alfie7

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 10:32 AM »
by following this thread parang si sir Nemesis91 is working in theatre works trinoma... tama ba'ko?

if yes, Sir patulong naman... hindi ko lang talaga malamn kung anong dapat kong bilhin, a cheaper one with very good quality na 37" LCD.  Hopefully may promo's like free HT or any freebies.  Budget ko 60 to 70k... meron kaya? Pasenysa na pero out of the country kasi ako kaya hindi ako makaikot sa metro para mag price hunting.
try mo sa Sights and Sounds sa Shangrila. Mabibigay sila ng mababa price. hanapin mo yung owner Sir Vic.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:22 PM »
thanks guys!

thanks

Here is my answer to Gboy29.  By the way, thank you alfie for the nice complement.

DVD players can upscale DVD signals to TV via digital video connections.

Without upscaling capability, the DVD player remains to deliver 480 interlace scanning lines. With your Panasonic TH42PV70 that has 720 lines (1024 x 768), it has to downscale to accept 480i.  This is what will appear on your TV after downscaling:

Instead of getting a good picture with 720 lines TH42PV70, you end up watching a downgrade video.

It is therefere necessary to have a DVD player with HDMI out to upscale your movie into 720p or even 1080i or 1080p. This, however, doesn’t mean that you are viewing HD material. The 480 scanning lines material has been deinterlaced and up-scaled to match your TV resolution. It makes DVD movie looks as good as what it should be presented. Some of the limitations of a 480i signal will still be apparent.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:36 PM »

Here is my answer to khaydlc.

With your budget of 60 to 70k you could already avail for yourself a good 42" Panasonic plasma HD TV.  Unless, of course, constrain by the size, you have no other option but to look for a smaller size like 37" or 32" LCD TV.  By the way, there is no plasma TV in the size smaller than 42", so you really have to go for LCD TV.

You don't need to stretch your budget to 70K. With budget 60K, you could already avail for yourself a 37" LCD TV and a basic home-theater-in-a-box (HTIIB) system.  You may wish to write me for detail at [email protected] or call me up at 09175413491.

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:43 PM by E-reply »

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #19 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:42 PM »

khaydlc,

hi!  Nemesis has 2 shops, 1 in trinoma and 1 in robinsons pioneer. With your budget, you might be able to get the 42" panasonic plasma. Sights and Sounds will also be able to give you a good price. Both regularly log in to this site.

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 02:03 PM »
Yep, marami nang fans dito si E-reply at Nemesis kaya sure ka na ok ang service at price

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #21 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 02:44 PM »
Yep, marami nang fans dito si E-reply at Nemesis kaya sure ka na ok ang service at price

i agree  ;) customer oriented yang dalawa mentioned above. Bought items na from both of them and satisfied ako sa service nila. i was in the same situation before and ended up buying a Plasma. I guess my recommendation will be obvious  ;D

Offline van_wilder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2007 at 07:45 AM »
very valid questions of gboy and timely for people like myself wondering what to buy. visited sights and sounds yesterday  and they were able to explain some things to me although up to now i'm still at a loss on which model to buy, especially since i just want to make sure that the money to be spent will be worth it.
I'm convinced to get the panasonic, its just that there's this big diff between pv70h and the pv7hs, likewise, there's a big possibility that it may be used more often for cable tv watching unless i re-arrange my tv set ups at home, since my AV room is just about 4-5 feet away from the possible location of the plasmaTV.
panasonic 42plasma
marantz avr wharfedale speakers 6.1
ps2; wii