Author Topic: PSB SPEAKERS OWNER SPEAKS OUT...  (Read 243731 times)

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
Re: PSB SPEAKERS OWNER SPEAKS OUT...
« Reply #450 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM »
master jason and i auditioned the psb imagine t2 last weekend(yes, hindi kung anu-anong bar sa cubao ang inaaudition namin  ;D ), the difference in sound versus our image t6 was amazing, although we both agree the t6 isn't far behind specially in bass performance, what was really noticeable was the crispiness of those t2s. it also has a wider soundstage and it looks like it doesn't need any toe-in. the build too was awesome, it was really beautiful. the wood veneer finish was seamless and in dark cherry, the t2 is definitely captivating. maka-taya na nga sa lotto  ;D

Offline armymanhaha

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #451 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM »
yeah. i heard the t2's playing with a nad 375bee a few weeks ago at MCS. Pretty good and damn sexy 8) The combo revealed the subtle differences between the Schiit Bifrost DAC, Rega DAC, and Musiland 03. Parang gusto ko nga bumili ng imagine b kasi mas maganda sila tignan compared sa synchony one b ko.

By the way, I found the Bifrost kind of thin sounding. Do i share the opinion with anybody on this?
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2012 at 11:02 PM by armymanhaha »
"Audiophools layuan nyo ako"

Online Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #452 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM »
yeah. i heard the t2's playing with a nad 375bee a few weeks ago at MCS. Pretty good and damn sexy 8) The combo revealed the subtle differences between the Schiit Bifrost DAC, Rega DAC, and Musiland 03. Parang gusto ko nga bumili ng imagine b kasi mas maganda sila tignan compared sa synchony one b ko.

By the way, I found the Bifrost kind of thin sounding. Do i share the opinion with anybody on this?

Hows the performance of bifrost vs Rega?
Walang Setup

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #453 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM »

naku sir, aesthetics is second to sound quality. your synchrony ones are the bomb!  ;)

Online Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #454 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 11:08 PM »
master jason and i auditioned the psb imagine t2 last weekend(yes, hindi kung anu-anong bar sa cubao ang inaaudition namin  ;D ), the difference in sound versus our image t6 was amazing, although we both agree the t6 isn't far behind specially in bass performance, what was really noticeable was the crispiness of those t2s. it also has a wider soundstage and it looks like it doesn't need any toe-in. the build too was awesome, it was really beautiful. the wood veneer finish was seamless and in dark cherry, the t2 is definitely captivating. maka-taya na nga sa lotto  ;D

Bro.. nag start na akong mag ipon for the T2's he he he... Naka tipid ako nang 50 pesos today.. so if i save up 50 pesos per day?? hmmmm wag na lang kakain na lang ulit ako ha ha ha
Walang Setup

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #455 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM »
Hows the performance of bifrost vs Rega?

In my opinion, its true when they say that the Rega DAC is 'Analog-sounding'. If I remember correctly, there was a sense of immediacy to the sound of the Rega in terms of soundstage representation. Sa Schiit, it was nice too pero may pagka 'papansin' yung top end for my ears but does sound refined maybe its just not the sound i'm looking for a DAC, especially lean sounding na yung amp ko so naturally fat sounding yung source ko. Comparing the mid-end naman mas realistic yung pagka present ng vocals and guitars sa Rega. I actually ended up with the Musiland 03 as a temporary PC DAC para mag transport to my future Rega DAC :D

naku sir, aesthetics is second to sound quality. your synchrony ones are the bomb!  ;)

The synchrony series really looks good kelangan lang talaga tignan mo muna sila mabuti. Pag pinupunasan ko sila pag naalikabukan, I find myself worshiping the immense build quality the synchrony has and how freakin beatiful it is to look at from the front drivers and especially back to the binding posts. Kaso, ganda kasi ng curves ng imagine :D 'nakaka tempt kumuha for a second setup, they could pass as lifestyle speakers pang sala lalo na siguro kung gloss black. Parang younger sister ni synchrony, prettier and sexier. hahaha
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM by armymanhaha »

Online Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #456 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM »
In my opinion, its true when they say that the Rega DAC is 'Analog-sounding'. If I remember correctly, there was a sense of immediacy to the sound of the Rega in terms of soundstage representation.

I think Rega's after a certain "sound" with their front end components (whether we're talking about their CDPs, DACs, TTs/Phono Stages). I'd almost consider them "flat earth" because like Naims and Linns of the past, they don't measure very well. Many people do like the sound however, and that matters more in general.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012 at 05:48 AM by Stagea »

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM »

how was it compare with your prev. vdac II?
Love me or hate me.....

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
PSB SPEAKERS OWNER SPEAKS OUT...
« Reply #458 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM »
I think Rega's after a certain "sound" with their front end components (whether we're talking about their CDPs, DACs, TTs/Phono Stages). I'd almost consider them "flat earth" because like Naims and Linns of the past, they don't measure very well. Many people do like the sound however, and that matters more in general.

Master, what do you mean by "flat earth" for Rega?

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 01:32 PM »
Master, what do you mean by "flat earth" for Rega?

Boss Arn, "flat-earth" is an approach to audio focused on subjective response. Flat earthers tend to do things a little differently -- like focusing more on the front end than the speakers, putting little weight on bench data, etc. The "tune dem" is an example of a classic flat earth practice, wherein they evaluate how a system "carries a tune" instead of focusing on technical details.

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/FAQ_-_Tune_Dem

The opposite is the "round-earth" approach, which is the conventional and scientific/structured way of doing things. The aim is largely to deliver excellent measurements in every angle. Even subjective listening done in the "round-earth" way is technical in nature (with lots of emphasis on proper placement, sharp focus, projected stage dimensions, neutrality, noise floor, etc.).

Flat-earthers want "musicality" more than "fidelity," emphasizing that a music (aka Flat-earth) system sounds like music, and that a HiFi (aka Round-earth) system sounds like HiFi. In the past, many round-earthers generally didn't consider flat-earth systems as HiFi, because they were very bothered with the "wrongness" of the output.

If we're gonna liken it to evaluating a car, the flat-earth approach is essentially selecting a car based on what makes you smile. The round-earth approach is selecting the one that delivers the best performance.

Flat-earth was coined because it's partly sticking with how things were before modern knowledge/techniques. Like how components were developed and selected before advanced measurement and design. It also references to the stubbornness of people who kept on rejecting the concept that the world is round.

In the past, there was less diversity in audio and very few companies (like Linn and Naim) championed the flat earth approach towards things. There was a time when many found this unacceptable and un-HiFi. Nowadays, the term is very rarely used as we now have a resurgence of products that incorporate flat-earth ways (NOS DACs, Turntables, Tube Electronics, Full Range Drivers, etc.). I actually see fewer and fewer purely "round-earth" HiFi people nowadays.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM by Stagea »

Offline melbourne

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #460 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 02:10 PM »
I'll be purchasing my 2.0 stereo system next week thru Rex of Watt Hifi consisting of :

PSB imagine B speakers
NAD375bee amplifier
NADc515bee cd player

Since I am from mindanao and i'll be purchasing online, may i know what are your recommendations regarding

1.  color/finish for PSB imagine B speakers?
2.  speaker wires
3.  interconnect (i dont know if this is the exact term but i am referring to wire that connects the cd player to amp)
4. speaker stand

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #461 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 02:50 PM »
I'll be purchasing my 2.0 stereo system next week thru Rex of Watt Hifi consisting of :

PSB imagine B speakers
NAD375bee amplifier
NADc515bee cd player

Since I am from mindanao and i'll be purchasing online, may i know what are your recommendations regarding

1.  color/finish for PSB imagine B speakers? - Walnut or Cherry
2.  speaker wires - Chord Carnival Silverscreen
3.  interconnect (i dont know if this is the exact term but i am referring to wire that connects the cd player to amp) - Cal's Interconnect
4. speaker stand - Meron sila Rex yung mga copy ng Sonus Speaker Stands

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 03:21 PM »
@sir Raider

sir cant remember much na kasi dati it was through a Dynaudio Audience 42 and the V-dac mk2. The setup sounded spacious to me if i remember right. I just cant do a memory comparison kasi very different yung setups na nagamit.

@sir Stagea

Ah yun pala tawag dun sir. I guess thats what happens when the market let consumers cherry pick their amps,source and speakers. I actually listened to a podcast interview of mr. paul barton himself saying that its very silly that we pick our own components based on our tastes.

may nakita din ako dati sa youtube isang big time producer na pinakingan yung vinyl version of his work. his reaction was leaning towards being dismayed and said that was not the way he meant it to be heard. i wish i could remember his name or even the link. it was an audio expo in the US much like what we had here in Dusit.

Online Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #463 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 03:24 PM »

PSB imagine B speakers
NAD375bee amplifier
NADc515bee cd player

2.  speaker wires
3.  interconnect (i dont know if this is the exact term but i am referring to wire that connects the cd player to amp)
4. speaker stand

Uyyyy congratulation bro Melbourne.. You'll surely love that setup for years... Post ka pics pag na deliver na at na setup na... Advance congrats to you bro..
Walang Setup

Offline melbourne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 03:48 PM »

Thanks for the reply brader Louie.  I heard a lot of positive feedback regarding cal's interconnect.

Offline melbourne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 04:00 PM »
Uyyyy congratulation bro Melbourne.. You'll surely love that setup for years... Post ka pics pag na deliver na at na setup na... Advance congrats to you bro..

Yes brader Jason.  Thank you for helping me decide for this set-up.  Kaunting tanong nalang ang gumugulo sa utak ko.  Can you help me answer the questions above.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #466 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 04:08 PM »
Gandang color nito bro melbourne... >:D

Walnut

Cherry
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012 at 04:08 PM by Louie_18 »

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #467 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 04:36 PM »

PSB imagine B speakers
NAD375bee amplifier
NADc515bee cd player

2.  speaker wires
4. speaker stand

Congrats in advance sir melbourne! :) the imagine b has two different finishes that I love, dark cherry and piano black. You won't go wrong with any of the two. My personal favorite is dark cherry, it fits most furniture finishes  and should be easier to maintain than the glossy black finish. For cables and interconnects, I suggest you try the neutral sounding ones first to appreciate the performance of that nad+psb setup. When I say neutral, try a regular gauge 12-14 wire and a good thick generic interconnect then if you'd like to add color to the sound, you can upgrade. My impressions on the ff are: Sidewinder ICs and rega quattro speaker cables can add warmth, vandelhul clearwater speaker cables are transparent(not just in aesthetics), kimber cables adds airiness, xindak speaker cables can tame the HF. There's a whole lot more of available choices in watt hifi and that includes a wide variety of speaker stands to choose from. I'm looking forward to see that killer setup in our ht gallery thread. Again, congrats! :)

Online Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #468 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 04:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply brader Louie.  I heard a lot of positive feedback regarding cal's interconnect.

Wallnut for me
For a cheaper alternative on speaker cables and interconnects you can try paolorenzo's cables...
Walang Setup

Offline melbourne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #469 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 06:04 PM »
Congrats in advance sir melbourne! :) the imagine b has two different finishes that I love, dark cherry and piano black. You won't go wrong with any of the two. My personal favorite is dark cherry, it fits most furniture finishes  and should be easier to maintain than the glossy black finish. For cables and interconnects, I suggest you try the neutral sounding ones first to appreciate the performance of that nad+psb setup. When I say neutral, try a regular gauge 12-14 wire and a good thick generic interconnect then if you'd like to add color to the sound, you can upgrade. My impressions on the ff are: Sidewinder ICs and rega quattro speaker cables can add warmth, vandelhul clearwater speaker cables are transparent(not just in aesthetics), kimber cables adds airiness, xindak speaker cables can tame the HF. There's a whole lot more of available choices in watt hifi and that includes a wide variety of speaker stands to choose from. I'm looking forward to see that killer setup in our ht gallery thread. Again, congrats! :)

Nice review on cables and interconnects bro Gerald.  Thank you for this information.

Wallnut for me
For a cheaper alternative on speaker cables and interconnects you can try paolorenzo's cables...

i am leaning towards walnut or dark cherry color.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012 at 06:08 PM by melbourne »

Online Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 06:15 PM »
i am leaning towards walnut or dark cherry color.

Yup maganda nga yung Dark Cherry/Walnut color... Na inlab nga kami ni Gerard dun sa speakers kina rex.. panay himas namin....

Eto ngat di na kami kumakain para makaipon pambili nang Imagine
Walang Setup

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #471 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 06:51 PM »
Congratulations in advance Melbourne!

As for the color choice, I also like Dark Cherry and Walnut, although I'm not sure if the local distro has brought in walnut Imagines.

Boss Arn, "flat-earth" is an approach to audio focused on subjective response. Flat earthers tend to do things a little differently -- like focusing more on the front end than the speakers, putting little weight on bench data, etc. The "tune dem" is an example of a classic flat earth practice, wherein they evaluate how a system "carries a tune" instead of focusing on technical details.

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/FAQ_-_Tune_Dem

The opposite is the "round-earth" approach, which is the conventional and scientific/structured way of doing things. The aim is largely to deliver excellent measurements in every angle. Even subjective listening done in the "round-earth" way is technical in nature (with lots of emphasis on proper placement, sharp focus, projected stage dimensions, neutrality, noise floor, etc.).

Flat-earthers want "musicality" more than "fidelity," emphasizing that a music (aka Flat-earth) system sounds like music, and that a HiFi (aka Round-earth) system sounds like HiFi. Many round-earthers generally didn't consider flat-earth systems as HiFi, because they were very bothered with the "wrongness" of the output.

If we're gonna liken it to evaluating a car, the flat-earth approach is essentially selecting a car based on what makes you smile. The round-earth approach is selecting the one that delivers the best performance.

Flat-earth was coined because it's partly sticking with how things were before modern knowledge/techniques. Like how components were developed and selected before advanced measurement and design. It also references to the stubbornness of people who kept on rejecting the concept that the world is round.

In the past, there was less diversity in audio and very few companies (like Linn and Naim) championed the flat earth approach towards things. There was a time when many found this unacceptable and un-HiFi. Nowadays, the term is very rarely used as we now have a resurgence of products that incorporate flat-earth ways (NOS DACs, Turntables, Tube Electronics, Full Range Drivers, etc.). I actually see fewer and fewer purely "round-earth" HiFi people nowadays.

May bago na naman ako natutunan sa yo Master!

How does this flat-earth/round-earth relate to warm-neutral-bright?

Am I right in supposing that companies who aim for neutral components are round earth, like PSB especially for the Imagines? And companies like NAD with "smiley face" equalization are somewhat flat earth?

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM »
May bago na naman ako natutunan sa yo Master!

How does this flat-earth/round-earth relate to warm-neutral-bright?

Am I right in supposing that companies who aim for neutral components are round earth, like PSB especially for the Imagines? And companies like NAD with "smiley face" equalization are somewhat flat earth?

Old school terminology lang kasi, Master Arn. Medyo bihira na gamitin ngayon since nagkahalohalo na ang flat at round earth. A good round earth system should be fairly close to neutral, whilst there is more variation with flat earth (whatever works for the person... though the far majority are quite warm-sounding).

PSB is very round-earth, and I'd consider NAD round-earth as well. Though their characters have changed recently, they continue to have a great focus on objective measurement (especially with NAD's move to direct digital tech). Components that are aimed for the round earth crowd typically have detailed and impressive spec sheets so this includes the far majority of burly SS amplifiers, high resolution digital players, high tech speakers, etc.  Traditional brands like Mark Levinson, Krell, MBL, Bryston, Wilson Audio, etc. and high tech makers like Revel, Magico, Focal, Lyngdorf, TacT, etc. are prime examples.

Linn, Naim, Rega, Audio Note, etc. have actually embraced a lot of round-earth ways, but they still have that flat-earthiness in them (technical performance is still secondary to experience, and this can be seen in numbers that stick out during bench testing). Small scale manufacturers of niche components like folded and conical horn speakers, tube electronics (especially single ended ones), etc. may be the new "flat-earth."
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM by Stagea »

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM »
For example, a round-earther would be aghast at the sight of this "sine wave" output:

Since he/she is used to seeing this:

But a flat-earther may actually prefer the sound of the former, as it could be closer to "music" to his/her ear. The same goes with distortion numbers, dynamic range, frequency response, etc.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012 at 11:53 PM by Stagea »

Offline resident_evil

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #474 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 01:04 AM »

PSB imagine B speakers
NAD375bee amplifier
NADc515bee cd player

2.  speaker wires
4. speaker stand

Perfect combo yan bro. Unbeatable. I have the dark cherry Imagine B. For the wires and ICs, Rex has Rega and VDH I think. Why don't you audition and choose one to your liking. Our bro Cal also makes very good ICs and speakers wires. I use his ICs for my office set up.
Ref3A De Capo Be, 300B SET Amp, Nak Bx300, Rega P3-24, Benz Glider, EE Minimax

Offline melbourne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #475 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 08:10 AM »
Perfect combo yan bro. Unbeatable. I have the dark cherry Imagine B. For the wires and ICs, Rex has Rega and VDH I think. Why don't you audition and choose one to your liking. Our bro Cal also makes very good ICs and speakers wires. I use his ICs for my office set up.

I am from mindanao atty so i dont have the luxury to audition the gears.  I'll be purchasing online so i am relying on feedbacks.   Rex offer me the rega quattro speaker wires and vandenhul ic's for this set-up.  But I hear a lot of positive feedback for cal's ic and a lot of our pdvd brothers are using it so i think i'll give it a try.   What speaker wires are using for your imagine B?

Offline resident_evil

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #476 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:03 AM »
Ecosse lang bro. Will ask Rex to use Rega speaker cables in his shop and give you feedback.
Ref3A De Capo Be, 300B SET Amp, Nak Bx300, Rega P3-24, Benz Glider, EE Minimax

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:08 AM »

PSB imagine B speakers
NAD375bee amplifier
NADc515bee cd player

2.  speaker wires
4. speaker stand
naks....ayan na rex ung tropa na nangangati na..hehehe...

speaker stands maganda ung sabre na metal...medyo mabigat lang...
sa wakas nagpost ka din...sorry hindi kita naasikaso last time hehe...

nawala cp ko hindi ka makakatawag..later papaplitan ko ung sim ko
ung may reach me on this number today and tom the same num
Love me or hate me.....

Offline melbourne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 08:06 PM »
naks....ayan na rex ung tropa na nangangati na..hehehe...

speaker stands maganda ung sabre na metal...medyo mabigat lang...
sa wakas nagpost ka din...sorry hindi kita naasikaso last time hehe...

nawala cp ko hindi ka makakatawag..later papaplitan ko ung sim ko
ung may reach me on this number today and tom the same num

Oo nga brader derrick bibili na ako next week hopefully by monday,  Problema ko nalang is kung anong speaker wire at speaker stand ang bibilhin ko and i'm ready to go.  May pics ka ba ng sabre metal stand at nasa magkano kaya ang presyo niyan?

Ecosse lang bro. Will ask Rex to use Rega speaker cables in his shop and give you feedback.

Thanks atty.  Rega at cal's speaker wires lang at the moment ang may access ako to purchase online.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 at 08:11 PM by melbourne »

Online Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 09:09 PM »

Oo nga brader derrick bibili na ako next week hopefully by monday,  Problema ko nalang is kung anong speaker wire at speaker stand ang bibilhin ko and i'm ready to go.  May pics ka ba ng sabre metal stand at nasa magkano kaya ang presyo niyan?

Thanks atty.  Rega at cal's speaker wires lang at the moment ang may access ako to purchase online.

Nice bro... set na set ka na... Sleepless nights yan.. pero ilang tulog na lang and youre in Stereo Heaven... Gawa ka na nang Gallery mo pag dumating para documented... 10 years from now pwede mo balikan kung san nagsimula ang lahat he he he PSB + NAD ROCKS BIGTIME....
Walang Setup