Author Topic: PSB SPEAKERS OWNER SPEAKS OUT...  (Read 243728 times)

Offline Lynn

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PSB SPEAKERS OWNER SPEAKS OUT...
« Reply #690 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM »
congrats sir. what amp did you partner it with?

Rotel RA-04SE po.
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #691 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 01:02 AM »
Sir, i dont think banana plugs will make your system sound less 'bright'. You can use the tone controls of your amp to suit your liking. My 60-watt Rotel was able to drive my psb synchrony bookshelf effortlessly, parang nagsisi nga ko binenta ko pa grrr nangati lang ako magpalit.

Guys other than NAD pala, what other integrated amps do you think can drive our PSB speakers well? I am asking this because I am in the market for one. Budget is below 80k only.

Ganun po ba... nabigyan po ako ng advice sa HiFi Lounge about sa rekta na wire.

yun una po naka rekta ako at napansin ko ang taas ng treble to the point parang sumisitsit na yun vocals.
then after ko malagyan ng banana plug, ayun po napansin ko hindi na gaano kataas yun mids, at hindi lang po ako yun nakapansin kahit po yun 7yrs old ko na daughter.

any tips kung banana plug ba ang reason o medyo mas matagal ko na nagamit?

Thanks
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #692 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 06:46 AM »
I think the real wood veneer finish starts on the Imagine upwards. If I'm in your position, without skipping a beat I'd choose the Imagine T. It's on a whole different level. The clarity, the crispiness and the finish, it's really amazing. The only thing you have to remember though, the Imagine T may be harder to drive than the Image T6. The T6 can be powered fine even by entry level AVRs.

I'm choosing between the T2 and the T.  Also, im planning to use the S5 for rears para makatipid magkakaproblema kaya?  Moreover, are the Imagine series available in gloss black or walnut in Watt Hifi?

Offline armymanhaha

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #693 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 07:07 AM »

yun una po naka rekta ako at napansin ko ang taas ng treble to the point parang sumisitsit na yun vocals.
then after ko malagyan ng banana plug, ayun po napansin ko hindi na gaano kataas yun mids, at hindi lang po ako yun nakapansin kahit po yun 7yrs old ko na daughter.

Thanks

i really do not know. thats one hell of a banana plug.
"Audiophools layuan nyo ako"

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #694 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 07:38 AM »

Thanks

I dont doubt you or your little girl, most probably may change siguro yung sound kasi pareho kayo ng napansin but the way i understand it is that banana plugs wont make you system better, it "may" change the sound and its usually for the worse because there is another material in between the wire and the speaker binding post.  sabi nga ng experts, the best connection is the most direct one, so the lesser material the signal needs to go through from the receiver/amp to the speaker the better.

baka naman po nasabi nyong bright ang direct wire kasi mas maraming detail, mas emphasized or angat yung highs and when you used a banana plug, nawala yung detalye na yon.  tama po ba intindi ko?
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline armymanhaha

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #695 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 09:17 AM »
or you may have been pre-conditioned to expect changes, just like what some salesmen do to sell power cables. they tell you what to expect, hence you hear it even though it 'may' not be there.
"Audiophools layuan nyo ako"

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #696 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM »
I dont doubt you or your little girl, most probably may change siguro yung sound kasi pareho kayo ng napansin but the way i understand it is that banana plugs wont make you system better, it "may" change the sound and its usually for the worse because there is another material in between the wire and the speaker binding post.  sabi nga ng experts, the best connection is the most direct one, so the lesser material the signal needs to go through from the receiver/amp to the speaker the better.

baka naman po nasabi nyong bright ang direct wire kasi mas maraming detail, mas emphasized or angat yung highs and when you used a banana plug, nawala yung detalye na yon.  tama po ba intindi ko?

Hindi nmn po, mas naging detailed po sya. dalawang fellow natin dito ang nagsabi na I should use pure copper banana plug not the silver one dahil daw po bright na yun sounds, kasi daw kapag silver lalo magiging bright.

or you may have been pre-conditioned to expect changes, just like what some salesmen do to sell power cables. they tell you what to expect, hence you hear it even though it 'may' not be there.

Hindi nmn po...

Ito po yun pics na gawa gawa kung banana plug. nilagyan ko din mismo ng shrink tube yun banana plug para hindi mangitim yun copper.

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM by hshaun05 »
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #697 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM »
I'm choosing between the T2 and the T.  Also, im planning to use the S5 for rears para makatipid magkakaproblema kaya?  Moreover, are the Imagine series available in gloss black or walnut in Watt Hifi?

Wow, Mag-Imagine T2 ka na sir. If ever kayo lang ni Boss Don Arn ang meron niyan sa Pilipinas :) For HT listening I don't think that will matter if you are going to use the S5. I'm using an Alpha for my rears and it integrates well naman in surround listening. Best example of surround effects is when I play EA's Fifa in Xbox, where the crowd switches from each speaker if I move the controller around. It was seamless and smooth.

Regarding the color, What Hifi can always order from the local distro, Hifi Plus. The colors I saw personally on the Imagine where Dark Cherry and Piano Black. Among the colors available, I still prefer Dark Cherry because it's attractive, classy and will be easier to maintain than Piano Black.

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #698 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM »

Wow, that looks like a nice speaker cable, what are those sir? about copper vs silver, silver has a higher conductivity than copper which may show what master timi was saying that details are laid out better that made them appear bright. Copper on the other hand might have been cutting certain frequencies due to a lesser degree of conductivity and that made the sound a bit more balanced by removing excess clout making details appear better.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM by sientobente »

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #699 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM »
Wow, that looks like a nice speaker cable, what are those sir? about copper vs silver, silver has a higher conductivity than copper which may show what master timi was saying that details are laid out better that made them appear bright. Copper on the other hand might have been cutting certain frequencies due to a lesser degree of conductivity and that made the sound a bit more balanced by removing excess clout making details appear better.  ;)

nalilito na ako... :) Royal cable po, 14awg oxygen free pure copper.
Many thanks po pla sa lahat ng comments, I am still noob on this kind of hobby.
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #700 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 01:28 PM »

I share master Gerard's opinion po about copper and silver properties, though i never thought it would be applicable to banana plugs, but it is a conductor so maybe its also applicable.  I dont think i could have explained it better than what is mentioned above so with that i hope you have a better and more informed purchase. 

By the way, you mentioned hifi lounge so i am guessing that you are referring to the one in alabang yes?
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #701 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 02:07 PM »
Wow, Mag-Imagine T2 ka na sir. If ever kayo lang ni Boss Don Arn ang meron niyan sa Pilipinas :) For HT listening I don't think that will matter if you are going to use the S5. I'm using an Alpha for my rears and it integrates well naman in surround listening. Best example of surround effects is when I play EA's Fifa in Xbox, where the crowd switches from each speaker if I move the controller around. It was seamless and smooth.

Regarding the color, What Hifi can always order from the local distro, Hifi Plus. The colors I saw personally on the Imagine where Dark Cherry and Piano Black. Among the colors available, I still prefer Dark Cherry because it's attractive, classy and will be easier to maintain than Piano Black.

Pero laki price difference ng T2 sa T kaya mas more likely sa T ako.  Hindi kaya ng bulsa.  Ganda nga cherry pero baka walnut kung meron or black na hindi piano.  Image S5 naman sa rears.  Panalo!

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #702 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 02:19 PM »
nalilito na ako... :) Royal cable po, 14awg oxygen free pure copper.
Many thanks po pla sa lahat ng comments, I am still noob on this kind of hobby.

Pareho lang po tayo na marami pa pong matutunan sa hobby na ito, which makes it a very interesting and enjoyable hobby :) Regarding the cables being oxygen-free, that property was supposed to make cables free from being fire-hazards since without oxygen, fire will die out. wala lang napakwento lang hehe  ;D

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #703 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 02:25 PM »
I share master Gerard's opinion po about copper and silver properties, though i never thought it would be applicable to banana plugs, but it is a conductor so maybe its also applicable.  I dont think i could have explained it better than what is mentioned above so with that i hope you have a better and more informed purchase. 

By the way, you mentioned hifi lounge so i am guessing that you are referring to the one in alabang yes?

Opo, Si Johann ang unang nag-advise sa akin. then tiga Wiredstate na ang gamit eh clearaudio at audio research, although Analogue preferred nya. Aware nmn ako sa properties ng conductibility ng Cu and Ag.

Thanks

NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #704 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 02:26 PM »
Pareho lang po tayo na marami pa pong matutunan sa hobby na ito, which makes it a very interesting and enjoyable hobby :) Regarding the cables being oxygen-free, that property was supposed to make cables free from being fire-hazards since without oxygen, fire will die out. wala lang napakwento lang hehe  ;D

Thanks sa input master...
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #705 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 02:34 PM »
Thanks sa input master...

naku hindi po ako master, makulit na troll lang po ako dito  ;D anu pong source ang ginagamit niyo on your psb setup?

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #706 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 02:44 PM »
naku hindi po ako master, makulit na troll lang po ako dito  ;D anu pong source ang ginagamit niyo on your psb setup?

Rotel RA-04SE po.

Sharing po some pics:

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013 at 02:52 PM by hshaun05 »
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #707 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 03:12 PM »
Sharing po some pics:

Thanks!
ganda talaga ni dark cherry!  ;)

sa source po is it a cd player, ipod, pc etc. this can also play a big factor on the audio quality lalo na if you are very particular in details  ;)

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #708 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 03:41 PM »
opo... iPod Classic (Lossless file )po gamit at via LOD to 3.5m, naghahanap nga po ako ng LOD to RCA para sa Aux ko ikabit.

at shempre bright din ang Digital source not unlike ang Analogue warm sya.

Thanks
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #709 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 03:57 PM »
ganda talaga ni dark cherry!  ;)

sa source po is it a cd player, ipod, pc etc. this can also play a big factor on the audio quality lalo na if you are very particular in details  ;)

Wag ka maniwala kay gerard na hindi sya master, sq champ yan hehehe.  Nice speaker you have there, kamusta ang pairing with rotel?  From what i read kasi rotels are on the brighter side.  But i dont own one so i have no real opinion on it.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #710 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 11:19 PM »
Wag ka maniwala kay gerard na hindi sya master, sq champ yan hehehe.  Nice speaker you have there, kamusta ang pairing with rotel?  From what i read kasi rotels are on the brighter side.  But i dont own one so i have no real opinion on it.

Salamat po mga Master... :)

medyo nakaka 2hrs palang po ako ng gamit. Ayun nga po medyo hindi match yun dalawa kasi 40watts lang yun amp then 20 to 120watts yun required ng PSB para sa Amp. tingin ko dapat yun RA06 ang bagay dito sa Image B6 para yun body eh mas lutang, kasi parang puro attack yun nararamdaman ko.

- Yun Rotel po parang mataas ang Treble, same thing yun comment sa Whathifi na yun treble minsan guguhit sa tenga mo.
- Ang ok lang sa setup na ito kahit nasa 3 o'clock n yun volume ng amp still kaya ng PSB na hindi maging muddy o distorted.
- Issue din po yun placement ng Speaker, wala akong stand kaya nasa sahig at malapit sa pader, kaya yun Bass medyo overwhelming.
- Dami ko din pong mali sa pag angulo, medyo maliit yun room na pinag lagyan ko kaya nun nakikinig ako puro loudness ang nararamdaman ko. may detailed pero konti ang soundstage.
- Vocals po very straight, na try ko si Rico J. Puno sa "The way we were" ramdam mo yun passion at yun gaspang sa dulo kapag bumirit sya. (yun nga lang minsan sharp na).
- Sa female naman po si Nina, "through the fire" ok ang registered nya hindi sharp.
- Bass, na try ko po sa Metallica "God that failed". sa akin super swabe sya dahil ang bigat at tight yun lows. Na try ko din sa Deftones "Drive" original by The Cars. medyo hindi kaya yun lalim at stiffness ng bass.
- Treble. Na try ko po sa Alice in Chain MTV unplugged - Buong album. ganda ng seperation kahit pa mali mali yun pwesto ng speaker at ako (ang lapit ko kasi).

Ito palang po masasabi ko. sa Sat po mas magagamit ko sya ng matagal.
Dami ko pang artist na hindi na try.

Artist / Album - kung ano yun audition ko sa kanila

Playlist:
Dido (No Angle) - Bass / Vocals
Queen (Greatest Hits I to III)- Vocals / Separation 
The Police (The very best of Sting & The Police) - Vocals / Treble
Spandau Ballet (GOLD) - Bass / Vocals
The Smith (Louder that Bombs)- Vocals / Detailed
Sepultura (Chaos A.D / Roots )- Power ng speaker at Amp.
Pantera (Vulgar Display of Power) - Power ng speaker at Amp.
The Dawn (The Latter Half of days) - Soundstage
Prozak (For Lovers)- Detailed/Soundstage

Thanks
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #711 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 01:31 PM »
nahulog ako sa kinalalagyan ko sa pinagsasabi mo master timi. hahaha

@hshaun05
nice review master. i believe the rotel @ 40w has good enough power to feed the B6 because the image series has good sensitivity ratings. i'm sure the 04 and the 06se won't have that much of a difference in terms of sound quality and will just retain that signature rotel house sound you hear from your amp.

looking forward for your next reviews  ;)

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #712 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 01:58 PM »
nahulog ako sa kinalalagyan ko sa pinagsasabi mo master timi. hahaha

@hshaun05
nice review master. i believe the rotel @ 40w has good enough power to feed the B6 because the image series has good sensitivity ratings. i'm sure the 04 and the 06se won't have that much of a difference in terms of sound quality and will just retain that signature rotel house sound you hear from your amp.

looking forward for your next reviews  ;)

Salamat po Master, paano po pala yun body? dun po kasi sa HiFi Lounge na audition ko yun NAD 326 (50watts) at B&W 685. ganda kasi ng soundstage at malaki talaga yun tunog. or dahil malayo at may acoustic panel lang sila.

Any tips po para marinig ko yun laki ng tunog hindi yun lakas ng tunog.
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #713 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 02:14 PM »
Salamat po Master, paano po pala yun body? dun po kasi sa HiFi Lounge na audition ko yun NAD 326 (50watts) at B&W 685. ganda kasi ng soundstage at malaki talaga yun tunog. or dahil malayo at may acoustic panel lang sila.

maraming factors master para palakihin yung tunog. sometimes the amp comes to play or sometimes it's the limitation of the speaker driver. for room treatments, what you can do to make it sound wider is to add diffusers to deflect and spread the sound more.

we have a lot of sound treatment gurus here, one of the best i know is don master nelson de leon who has his own anechoic chamber  ;)

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #714 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 02:51 PM »
Wow, definitely  hindi po ako master, pwede po ako Alipin. :)

Paano po yun diffusers (ex. po ba ito ng acoustic panel). napansin ko din po karamihan naka big carpet, may carpet din po ako kasi mga double lang yun size.

Kyo po base sa PSB speaker nyo ano treatment nyo?

Thanks!
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #715 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 03:06 PM »
Wow, definitely  hindi po ako master, pwede po ako Alipin. :)

Paano po yun diffusers (ex. po ba ito ng acoustic panel). napansin ko din po karamihan naka big carpet, may carpet din po ako kasi mga double lang yun size.

Kyo po base sa PSB speaker nyo ano treatment nyo?

Thanks!

sa acoustic panel master, may sound absorbers at may sound diffusers. some use them in tandem. just like don master nelson's room. diffuser covered by absorbers. the logic in this setting was because his first layer can probably just absorb around 50% of the frequencies passing through it. when the sound gets through, the diffuser in the 2nd layer will do it's job to reflect the the sound back to the first layer effectively reducing unwanted reflections. maraming techniques master in room treatment, dami ko din pang dapat matutunan. yung sa akin na psb setup, carpet lang na walang silbi ang room treatment ko  ;D

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #716 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 03:39 PM »
sa acoustic panel master, may sound absorbers at may sound diffusers. some use them in tandem. just like don master nelson's room. diffuser covered by absorbers. the logic in this setting was because his first layer can probably just absorb around 50% of the frequencies passing through it. when the sound gets through, the diffuser in the 2nd layer will do it's job to reflect the the sound back to the first layer effectively reducing unwanted reflections. maraming techniques master in room treatment, dami ko din pang dapat matutunan. yung sa akin na psb setup, carpet lang na walang silbi ang room treatment ko  ;D

Salamat po sa Tips master...
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #717 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 05:16 PM »

Im sure you know this but try to move around your speakers too, baka room acoustics nga lang yan.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #718 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 05:21 PM »
Im sure you know this but try to move around your speakers too, baka room acoustics nga lang yan.

Salamat Master... Sige po nitong weekends aayusin ko na yun placement ng 2.0 ko.
NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2

Offline Lynn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #719 on: Jan 20, 2013 at 11:20 PM »
Mga master, ayun naayos ko na yun placement ng Speakers. yun Speaker naka angat sa sahig at naka align sa height ng ulo ko, meaning naka parallel na sya sa aking tenga. second medyo mas malaki na yun pinaglagyan ko na room. ayun lumabas na yun soundstage at yun separation.

Medyo may comparison ako sa B6 in terms of price range.

Ang Tannoy DC4 at PSB Image B6 ay same price na SRP 21k

Kung gusto ng isang listener na more on jazz, live performance, unplugged session. The best ang Tannoy DC4 dahil sa detailed nya sa separation at soundstage. yun nga lang wag kang umasa sa Low's dahil napaka simple lang ng low's nya. (pwede bili ng Sub para compensate na lahat)

Kung gusto naman ng isang listener ng more on power music like: Rock, Hip-hop, Pop, Techno at Electronica. party party ka sa low's, no need na talaga sa sub, ok naman din ang mids at high nya, hindi ka bitin pero yun detailed nya medyo hindi ganun ka detailed compare sa DC4.

nasa isip ko nga na bumili pa ng isang set pero Tannoy DC4 naman then, ayusin ko yun setup na parang katulad sa pics sa baba. nasa baba yun B6 then naka patong naman yun DC4 sa ibabaw ng B6.

Naalala ko lang yun setup ng megadeth sa mga Marshall Amp nila na magkapatong. :) :) :)

Thanks!

NAD 326/Creek 4040 s2
MA RX1 / SVS SB12NDS
Victor XL Z531 K2