Author Topic: Speaker wire problems  (Read 866 times)

Offline Happy Dads Vinyl Shop

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Speaker wire problems
« on: Oct 07, 2007 at 06:59 PM »
Hello Sirs,

I have a wharfdale surrounds connected to my Yamaha HT receiver. I have Missions speakers as fronts and centers. Problem is yung wire sa surrounds (wharfdale) eh umiinit. It has burned the plastic on the terminals already and the terminals on the yamaha receiver. I have never encountered the problem before. Can you pls enlighten me?

many thanks.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Speaker wire problems
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 08:04 PM »
What speaker wire gauge are you using?  As per my limited knowledge, wires heat up if the wire draws a large current the wire gauge cannot sustain.  This is rather strange for a speaker cable to even burn the terminals.  There could be a near-short condition at the speaker end. Not shorted enough to trigger the protection circuit, but almost (very low resistance)  to draw current the wires cannot sustain. But it's also possible the surround channels do not have speaker protection, just the fronts.  Change the wires to a higher gauge.   But it's still odd because even a thin gauge 18 can still do the job unless you listen at very high volumes. But even so, surround channels are rarely visited with loud ambient audio information to draw enough current to burn the terminals.  And check if there's a shorted on the terminals of the receiver and speaker sides.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 08:04 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 08:38 PM »
If found no shorted connections at receiver and speakers binding posts; possible the wires are shorted or the output amps of the receiver might have problems.  :(
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

• Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 02:09 PM »
both terminals on the receiver and speakers have melted. Receiver bought bnew (I am first owner) so I do hope it doesnt have defects. I play loud music when in 6-channel surround mode (sometimes lang). I am using a 14 guage wires. I'll try to get new wires since I threw my old burned one's already.

your inputs are invaluable..thank you.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 04:04 PM »
If both ends were affected most probably the wires have internal bleeding of current or the current from your AVR are not properly dessipated (not sure of my spelling) or converted by your speaker to sound. check also the dealer of any feedback or advise before doing another experiment.... :o  ::)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline NMM1

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 02:19 PM »
this is a weird situation....if i were in ur shoes, i'll bring the wires and receiver to where u got them and let them test it for awhile.... don't buy yet a new set of speaker wires as this may prove to be a waste of hard earned money since you don't know what's causing the problem.... if proven that either the receiver or wires are defective, then you can ask for a replacement....
Rega | Schiit| Puffin | Yamaha | Dynaudio | ProAc | Accuphase

• Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 01:37 PM »
thanks for your replies..
sadly I have bought the unit  years back already and I just noticed the defect when I was moving house a few weeks back. will try to read the manual again and see if I did something wrong.