Author Topic: Need Help Setting Up Surrounds  (Read 561 times)

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need Help Setting Up Surrounds
« on: Oct 29, 2007 at 11:39 PM »
ok...so i got a 5.1 system. its a pio htp 330. 5.1 system with opticals so i was able to connect my pio dv 400 and my xbox that are now in DD.

right now my speakers are all in front. i was able to provide ample separation for the fronts which are mounted on the side of my tv. center channel is below the tv on my rack. fronts are in ear level... center is slightly below ear level. this is the best i could do right now and im all set and happy with this. but the problem is my surrounds...need help with placement.

from what i read... they should be on the side facing you 2-3 feet above ear level. (normal watching position is when im seated on my bed which is on the end of my room.

problem is...i might hit electrical wiring on the ideal space i want to mount it at. (but i think i can find a way if its really the best place to put it) now for some questions:

1. is it ok to mount it on the back wall? the surrounds would not be pointing to me if thats the case unless i point it directly down which will also be a problem as i cant mount it on my ceiling. if i mount it on the back then the sweet spot would mean i need to put a chair in the center of the room and move my bed...not good for me.

2. the right wall is further from the left wall which will make the surrounds not centered to the sweet spot or tv's center. this can be adjusted to compensate right?

3. need to extend my cables as i want to have the wires go through the ceiling and the pio htib i have has its own connector to its receiver. what is the best way to extend the cables without merely twisting + electrical tape.

4. i have a pair of speaker stands that i can use to test the best possible location. any disc i can use to calibrate before i start drilling my walls? i have matrix...would that do? what scene is best?

5. as for calibration... what are you really supposed to hear on the surrounds? i dont know how they should sound so i wont know what im looking for in terms of calibration while trying to find the best location possible.

6. another option is to mount the surrounds (side still + 2-3 feet above ear level which is ideal right?) up further front. which means ill be behind the surrounds on my normal watching position. is this ok?

right now my htib is set to front surround (a mode of pioneer) but i want to get the most of my purchase.

help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
Re: Need Help Setting Up Surrounds
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 10:15 AM »
you can place your surround speakers on the sides or back wall above ear level.they should not be pointing at your sweet spot. They should not be easilly localized as they are effects speakers and not your main speakers. level and distance parameter controls are very important in adjusting a good HT system. buy an inexpensive SPL meter and a calibration disc (avia,dve,sight and sound guide to ht) to maximize your system potential
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Need Help Setting Up Surrounds
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 10:24 PM »
so i guess its decided...ill place it in the rear wall.

now for more questions:

1. would it be better to place it just above ear level (2-3 feet up) or is it ok to put it higher (almost near the ceiling so i can conceal the cable)?

***if i place it just above ear level (2-3 feet up on the rear wall) i cant space them too far apart as i have a window. i can put it farther apart from each other but this means having it near ceiling level.

2. since it is on the rear wall....would i still hear the surround effect if im on my bed which is on the rear wall of course.

3. as for calibrating...my HT has an auto calibrating mic...which i can use as a baseline. do i calibrate on the rear wall (normal watching position on my bed)...or do i calibrate it with my sweet spot in the middle of the room...which means i would have to put a chair just to watch/play games...and take it out if i wanna watch tv/dvd from bed.

also to note...i have a dts/thx disc already which has the thx trailers :) i can use this to see the effect. i just dont want to start drilling and cabling then realizing that i made a big mistake in placement.