Author Topic: Philips Pixel Plus  (Read 54448 times)

Offline tABs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Last Man Standing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Philips Pixel Plus
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2003 at 11:52 AM »
sgc-
with due respect,...discussed here is the 34" class....  :) but even so, at least u state that sony goes before philips-
"siguro on small sized TVs... pero on big sized TVs, or RPTVs, most callibrators would say that you either go with Mitsubishi, Pioneer, then Sony... in that order...."  

i've been enlightened! by sony drc-mf.....  ;D

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2003 at 02:13 PM »
sgc-
with due respect,...discussed here is the 34" class....  :) but even so, at least u state that sony goes before philips-
"siguro on small sized TVs... pero on big sized TVs, or RPTVs, most callibrators would say that you either go with Mitsubishi, Pioneer, then Sony... in that order...."  

i've been enlightened! by sony drc-mf.....  ;D

Hi tabs,

yup I know it's about 34" class... but my comment was in reply to your comment "looks like nothing beats sony"... it sounded general, that nothing beats sony... so I mentioned that maybe that's true on smaller sized TV's... but on bigger sized TV's... there are better brands than Sony :)

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2003 at 02:50 PM »
maganda tvs ng sony, but the best? im not sure everyone will agree

Offline tABs

• Collector
  • Last Man Standing
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2003 at 07:00 PM »
looks like nothing beats sony - i was merely expressing my opinion.....para sa akin, sony is on the top of list. i've seen, tested, and compared TVs- sony, samsung, LG, panasonic, JVC, 34" class; pero iba talaga ang sony- that's 4 me...
perhaps u'r right, maybe there are other brands better than sony...but i'll stick with sony.... :-*

peace bro!.....  ;D

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2003 at 12:23 PM »
yeah  I know what you mean :) Iba talaga ang Sony..

I just posted my comments baka kasi may newbies, and they might think na it's just Sony, and everything else.... :)

Offline warpzone

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2003 at 06:26 PM »
sony pa rin! mahirap ang service at parts ng philips e

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #36 on: Jan 26, 2003 at 04:43 PM »
sgc_wdi :

OT : Were you able to have your Pioneer SD-643HD5 RPTV calibrated locally?  By whom?  Are they any good?  How much?  Pls PM...

Teta

;D

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #37 on: Jan 29, 2003 at 01:12 PM »
BTW, Philips Pixel Plus has this option to turn off their prog scan or the pixel plus mode to get just the regular interlaced video output.

Question: If you are always using the prog scan mode the whole time, would it lessen the life of your picture tube?  Considering that it is using its features to the fullest....hmmm?

Offline dongkhoi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2003 at 05:40 PM »
BTW, Philips Pixel Plus has this option to turn off their prog scan or the pixel plus mode to get just the regular interlaced video output.

Question: If you are always using the prog scan mode the whole time, would it lessen the life of your picture tube?  Considering that it is using its features to the fullest....hmmm?
Im not sure kung meron to because there are only two options Prog scan or pixel plus. How do you turn off and whats the effect on picture quality ???

Offline bundy

• Collector
  • Oops!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2003 at 11:06 PM »
Hi people, this is my second time to post on pinoydvd.  :)  Just got the 29" pixel plus.  Its pretty...  :D  I have a question about it.  How do you take off the AV1 on the top left corner.  I can't seem to find it in the manual and have been playing around with the buttons too.  But its still there.  I have to say, Philips is a bit un user friendly, but otherwise, I would recommend this tv to everyone.  

Thanks for all your help.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2003 at 02:40 AM »
donkhoi- I dunno if turning off is the term but then when you take out the pixel plus feature, picture quality wouldnt be as outstanding(as expected).  Scenario:  so with this, you would always put on the pixel plus feature because it is better right?  But how would this effect the picture tube with this feature on the whole time.  Would it lessen the picture tube's life? ???  I'm bamboozled....

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2003 at 02:43 AM »
Hi people, this is my second time to post on pinoydvd.  :)  Just got the 29" pixel plus.  Its pretty...  :D  I have a question about it.  How do you take off the AV1 on the top left corner.  I can't seem to find it in the manual and have been playing around with the buttons too.  But its still there.  I have to say, Philips is a bit un user friendly, but otherwise, I would recommend this tv to everyone.  

Thanks for all your help.

Does your remote control have a display button?  Pressing it would show the TVs status and pressing it again takes out the onscreen display.  That works universally in all TVs.  I am not sure with your TV though.

Offline pixel8

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2003 at 09:11 AM »
I'm not sure in which thread to put this question, but anyway, i posted it in both threads (PixelPlus and Wega).

I really want to see a head to head comparison of these two technologies (Pixel Plus and DRC-MF). I'm not in the market for a new tv right now but I just want to see which is better or the advantages and disadvantages of both.  Pwede ba magrequest ng side by side demo of both units sa mga A/V shops or appliance centers? Kakahiya naman kasi kung papademo ako tapos di naman ako bibili. With all the hassle na gagawin nila to setup and given that these are high end models.

Has anyone done this?  Pakipost naman findings niyo.

thanks.

Offline bundy

• Collector
  • Oops!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2003 at 05:43 PM »
thanks for the help but I was able to find out how lastnight.  There's an info+ button on the remote, no display.  I found it in the menu for OSD.  If I set it the OSD to minimum then the channel/source disappears.  

As for the comparison of the DRC-MF and Pixel Plus, you can go to Ansons Main on Pasay road and they have the two units side by side for a demo.  The Sony is covered up and the settings, well I don't know what they are, but atleast you get to see the two side by side.

thanks for all the help again.

Offline pixel8

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2003 at 08:53 AM »
thanks bundy, might check that out one of these days. pero di kaya bias yung setup na yon sa pixel plus? :)

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2003 at 09:15 AM »
@ 85-90-96-93-91 rating....looks like nothing beats Sony...  ::)
have you tried even looking at the Loewe or Grundig 100Hz series? you'll be very happy

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2003 at 10:26 PM »
thanks bundy, might check that out one of these days. pero di kaya bias yung setup na yon sa pixel plus? :)

Yup!  very biased and syempre altered na ang settings ng Sony.  When I went there, I don't think the Sony compared there is a DRC-MF.  It is just a WEGA.

I think that the DRC-MF sold in Abensons or Avid is different from the DRC-MF sold in Image Harrison.  The models sold at Avid don't have the progressive scan feature only interlaced 1250.  Yung nasa Image Harrison (model#29M69 or 34M69) eh merong progressive scan.  

You guys might be misled. Eh pareho namang DRC-MF sila. :-\

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Feb 26, 2003 at 12:18 PM »
Hi I am about to buy the Philips Pixel Plus 29" I am really astounded by the picture quality.  I was wondering if anyone has tested the VGA input??? I really want to connect the TV to my PC.  Does anyone know what VGA resolution it supports? Ive searched the web for days couldnt find anything about its VGA supported resolutions... anyone who has tested please help me out! thanks!

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #48 on: Feb 26, 2003 at 01:09 PM »
Hi I am about to buy the Philips Pixel Plus 29" I am really astounded by the picture quality.  I was wondering if anyone has tested the VGA input??? I really want to connect the TV to my PC.  Does anyone know what VGA resolution it supports? Ive searched the web for days couldnt find anything about its VGA supported resolutions... anyone who has tested please help me out! thanks!
Test the set with your computer before you buy. You may end up with a lemon just like what happened to me. :)
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2003 at 01:18 PM by DViant »

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #49 on: Feb 26, 2003 at 01:15 PM »
I think that the DRC-MF sold in Abensons or Avid is different from the DRC-MF sold in Image Harrison.  The models sold at Avid don't have the progressive scan feature only interlaced 1250.  Yung nasa Image Harrison (model#29M69 or 34M69) eh merong progressive scan.  

You guys might be misled. Eh pareho namang DRC-MF sila. :-\
You are correct in your assumption that the one sold at local authorized dealers are different from Image in Harrison Plaza.

The sets sold in Avid, et al. DOES have progressive scan just like the one being solid in Harrison. The difference is you pay more & you have the official Sony warranty when you buy from authorized retailers unlike Image who only offers in-house warranty.

The only technical difference between the M69/Image & M89/Avid is that the M69 doesn't have MTS Stereo. With the money saved you can get yourself a kick-arse AVR. :)
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2003 at 01:17 PM by DViant »

Offline bundy

• Collector
  • Oops!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 10:59 AM »

According to the manual, you cannot connect any VGA device to the tv.  Sorry to tell you the bad news.  The good news is, I bought the pixel plus 29" recently and I have absolutely no complaints about the picture quality.  Its amazing  ;D  I'm very satisfied with it and have watched all my dvds over again just to see the difference in picture quality.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 11:40 AM »
Thats weird, I just read the manual (downloaded it from the web pdf) it says that the VGA connector could be used to connect an HD-Set top box or for use as a computer monitor.  Anyways I did my own research too.  I'm building an HTPC and you can use powerstrip to output 480p and 1080i on your HD set . With power strip you can tailor the the exact output settings of your video card to match your HD-TV.  It is possible to upscale a regular DVD using a software dvd player and display it at 1080i on your HD Set!!!! WOW.  Who says HD TV's are useless in the philippines... 1080i is achievable using a geforce or an ATI rage card.  Since the philips pixel plus is a 480p/1080i HD tv, this is possible! cant wait to start tweaking. Currently what you may be watching is only 480p on a progressive scan DVD player and its already Awsome!!! dude imagine 1080i DVDs thats HD quality.. far superior to 480p. Paired with the True Motion of the pixel plus.. DVD Nirvana is not a far cry.  Anyway I'll post more about this stuff once I start tweeking. :) My Pixel Plus is arriving this Saturday.. I'm so excited!!!

Offline Qman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • crawling in my skin ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Mar 05, 2003 at 09:47 PM »
I saw 34" pixel plus sa sm fairview and mabuti na lang inawat ako ng misis ko kung hindi nabili ko na ito kanya lang three to four months silang hapunan lang ang kakainin araw araw ;D ;D ;D ;D

h****ep talaga ito... galing...

Also the good thing about this model eh pinababa niya ang value ng hdtv ng philips ...... kaya dun na lang ako nagkasya   :( :( :(

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
Philips Pixel Plus Thoughts
« Reply #53 on: Apr 08, 2003 at 11:21 AM »
Hi, I've read a couple of threads regarding the Pixel Plus, and I'd like to share my thoughts.  I own a 29" Pixelplus. Got it about a month ago.  I don't have any problems with it so far and I should say the picture quality is really great. There are a lot of connections and the great thing about it is that there are 3 component Video Inputs, 1 which has regular component video and 2 others for progressive scan input.  2 svideo connectors (one at the back and one on the side) and the greatest connector of all the RGB/VGA connector.

I have tried all the connections, and the HD connectors (progressive scan) is the best.  

Pixel Plus has a built in feature called Natural Digital Motion, which makes any video signal (assuming its a clean one) well... true to life! but like I said it depends on the signal.  One draw back is that  you may only use this with the regular component, s-video, and composite inputs, but I should say that this is a great way to watch your over DVD's again to experience it in a different way. To give an example, my sister freaked out when she saw me watching Attack of the Clones on DNM (Digital Natural Motion) hairs standing on end... becuase the movement on the screen looked so real especially digitally animated characters like yoda. It's like movie is live and actually happening and you are looking through a glass window (drool).

The HD inputs (progressive scan) is another story.  I have never seen anything so sharp. I have set up my HTPC with a direct connection to the Pixelplus Via VGA connector and its pixel perfect. Since I have the ability to totally tweek my DVD player (software and filters) I am able to achieve the best possible picture quality I could possibly imagine. I did a direct comparison, using 2 players with the same DVD.  Looking at the regular DVD is already pretty good, but it suddenly looks blurred once you compare it to an HTPC using the VGA connector. All the little details, lines, facial marks, wrinkles on skin are very visible.  Down to the grains of sand in Gladiator.  This absolutely the best way to watch DVDs.  

Final thoughts.
DNM is a great way to watch your DVD's over again.  It makes everything life like, pretty freaky the first time you see it, but you'll actually enjoy it! imagine watching saving private ryan, pearlharbor, enemy at the gates... oooh.  For film purists, this might not be for them, cause it takes out the film effect.  Everything looks like DV, but hey  I think it's cool.  By the way DNM only works when pixelplus is selected on the setup menu.  Pixelplus is great but I have to admit you do see some stairstepping on edges, shimmer where there is disctinct contrast, but its not as irritating as you'd think.  Watching using the HD/VGA connection is still the best if you want to see DVD's in all its glory especially Superbit titles (namely 5Th element!!!) Its the sharpest you'd ever see. (this also depends on your player, I'm using an HTPC so that may also attribute to the excellent picture quality)

Oh and one more thing, when you select widescreen mode on the TV, you will see a white line stretching across from left to right.  This is not a defect and according to philips that there is no way to remove this.
(this is the only thing I dont like about it) Other than that, I think my purchase was an excellent choice and I have no regrets.

I just wanted to share what I think, being a Pixelplus User, I'd want others to know what its like.

Thanks! post any questions if you want to know more about my experiences with this TV.

Offline Qman

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Apr 08, 2003 at 10:36 PM »
boss jpadua

congrats sa bago mong equipment... may freebie din ito diba?  Na auditioned ko rin ito eh last Jan at talagang napanganga ako..... medyo mahal pa noon I assume ganoon pa rin ang presyo .....  Pro kung naghintay hintay pa ako nakaya ko sana eh... tsk tsk tsk...   Nauwi tuloy ako sa HDTV lower model ng Philips.  Pro galeng pa rin kumpara sa ibang TV na na-auditioned ko....

3 Component input pala ang Pixel plus  sa HDTV dalawa isang progressive at isang hindi.. pro sa SVideo pareho lang one on the side at sa rear.

Anyway enjoy ;D

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Apr 09, 2003 at 08:58 AM »
boss jpadua

congrats sa bago mong equipment... may freebie din ito diba?  Na auditioned ko rin ito eh last Jan at talagang napanganga ako..... medyo mahal pa noon I assume ganoon pa rin ang presyo .....  Pro kung naghintay hintay pa ako nakaya ko sana eh... tsk tsk tsk...   Nauwi tuloy ako sa HDTV lower model ng Philips.  Pro galeng pa rin kumpara sa ibang TV na na-auditioned ko....

3 Component input pala ang Pixel plus  sa HDTV dalawa isang progressive at isang hindi.. pro sa SVideo pareho lang one on the side at sa rear.

Anyway enjoy ;D

Sir Qatarman,

May kasama siya na Home Theatre in a Box ni di progressive... sayang :) pero dalawang progressive scan input, and one regular component input, in the event na may set-top box ka and a progressive scan dvd player and a PS2 at the same time, you can hook them up simultaneously to the TV. Actually ginagamit ko talaga mostly yung HD/progressive scan input more than pixel plus.  Ang pixelplus is Philips own proprietary digital scaler which takes a video signal and upscales it to almost HD resolution. Ok din, its the digital natural motion that makes the pixelplus really different. Pero honestly I could have saved a little cash if I opted for just the plain HD version, kasi thats what I use more often... the Digital Motion of Pixel Plus is the what made me get the pixelplus instead of the regular HD version  :P what can I say... naglaway talaga ako hehehe, but no need to feel bitin, you also made a good choice with your HD TV kung 16:9 lang TV mo I'm willing to swap! heheheh.  Kung may lumabas lang dito na 16:9 na pixelplus yun na kinuha ko, or kahit regular HDtv lang na 16:9.  Know anyone with 16:9 philips HD or Pixelplus?

By the way you using a progressive scan player na? or just the regular component input?

Offline Qman

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Apr 09, 2003 at 11:17 AM »
boss jpadua,

Im not using the scan connection yet, still figuring out what dvd prog scan player will buy?  pro satisfied naman ako sa regular connection.  Ive got mine with HTib freebies pro di ko ginagamit ang speakers at sub niya dahil connected sya sa AVR.  kya resulta may extra five sattelite speakers at sub ako... im still trying to figure out din kung paano ko naman ikakabit iyon sa pc

Nang binili ko ang HDTV ko for two days iniisip ko pa rin ang pixel plus na yan..... next time na lang siguro pag me rason na bumili uli at kung nakumbinsi ko na maigi si kumander kya dapat maganda ganda ang pasalubong ko ngayon sa kanya pag-uwi ko ;D ;D

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Apr 09, 2003 at 02:07 PM »
Sir Qatarman,

Ayos yan! pero madali lang i kabit yung PC mo sa HDTV mo, all you need is a good PC kahit P3 better kung P4 or Athlon XP, a good video card, soundblaster live or audigy and a DVD-rom drive.  There are ways to configure your video card to match the scan rate of the HDTV set.  Pare sinasabi ko sa yo iba talaga, ang layo from conventional component input, its like night and day! trust me, once youve connected through the HD input, di ka na talaga babalik sa conventional DVD player :D I guarantee it! email mo ako turuan kita mag setup ng HTPC. [email protected] ;)

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Apr 09, 2003 at 10:54 PM »
which philips pixel plus are you guys talking about?

is it the model with speakers all around the screen or the newer model with speakers only on its sides?

i read in some mag that the first one i mentioned sucks big time and has a lot of defects according to buyers in europe.

as for the second one, i just read in What HIFI that it is a damn good tube! was actually considering getting the 32" before i opted to get myself the new drc-mf instead.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Apr 10, 2003 at 10:45 AM »
which philips pixel plus are you guys talking about?

is it the model with speakers all around the screen or the newer model with speakers only on its sides?

i read in some mag that the first one i mentioned sucks big time and has a lot of defects according to buyers in europe.

as for the second one, i just read in What HIFI that it is a d**n good tube! was actually considering getting the 32" before i opted to get myself the new drc-mf instead.

It's the one where there are 2 speakers on the side and a center speaker at the bottom of the screen and a subwoofer at the back.  The sound is actually pretty good!