Author Topic: sound quality of optical output  (Read 1232 times)

Offline rubhino

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
sound quality of optical output
« on: Dec 10, 2007 at 10:14 AM »
would the sound quality of a high end cd player and a lower end cd player be distinguishable if their sound is outputed from their respective optical outs?

using analog outs, they should sound different, but how about using their optical outs?

say using the optical out of a MF cd player & a optical out of a pioneer cd player, which would have a better sound quality? or is it the indistinguishable?
LG/yamaha/mission/velodyne HT
plinius/musical fidelity/analysis plus/mission/rel
nad/rotel/norh

Offline george441

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: sound quality of optical output
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 10:24 AM »
Some people can hear differences in transport...it's all up to you if you can hear it.

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 05:53 PM »
would the sound quality of a high end cd player and a lower end cd player be distinguishable if their sound is outputed from their respective optical outs?

using analog outs, they should sound different, but how about using their optical outs?

say using the optical out of a MF cd player & a optical out of a pioneer cd player, which would have a better sound quality? or is it the indistinguishable?
Digital Signals carried by the clock signals,  there are difference. That is why we have a word "High-end"
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 06:39 PM »
I think there would be no difference since the transport will carry "Raw" digital signals and the Digital-To-Analog conversion takes place on the receiver. If the signal sent is something like "0101", would it be correct to say that it will reach the receiver as "0101" regardless of the used transport? Otherwise if it did not reach the receiver "as-is" then it will result in audio drop-out.
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 07:38 PM »
I think there would be no difference since the transport will carry "Raw" digital signals and the Digital-To-Analog conversion takes place on the receiver. If the signal sent is something like "0101", would it be correct to say that it will reach the receiver as "0101" regardless of the used transport? Otherwise if it did not reach the receiver "as-is" then it will result in audio drop-out.

The difference in sound is because of the "JITTER". An yes, there is difference in sound with severy specific "TRANSPORT". The more transparent a system, the more you will hear the difference.

Just my 2 cents, as I could hear it. ;D ;D ;D
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere