Author Topic: Resolution or Contrast Ratio  (Read 2109 times)

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Resolution or Contrast Ratio
« on: Dec 14, 2007 at 03:41 PM »
When choosing what LCD TV to buy,
what is more important?

Resolution? or Contrast Ratio?

What does these terms mean?

Thanks in advanced!
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
Re: Resolution or Contrast Ratio
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2007 at 04:19 PM »
Let me give this a shot:  Both are important IMO although a lot of experts will tell you contrast ratio is more important for overall picture quality. For 32", 37" and to a lesser degree 42" TV's, the highest resolution-1080p is not so critical because its only when you get to 50" and up where 1080p shows its advantage over 720p.

In layman's terms, resolution is simply about the screen's ability to show the finest detail while contrast ratio is about the screen's ability to go as black as can be. Like me before I read up,  many buyers do not appreciate the impact of the latter -  basically a screen cannot be accurate with its colors if it has poor contrast ratio. Blacks are rendered gray, reds are rendered orange, etc. You won't realize the full import of that until you see side by side a TV with good contrast and a TV with a bad one. The difference when watching an HD movie is huge.

LCD 's have gained mastery over resolution but they are still having a hard time with contrast ratio (due to backlight leakage - its the way LCDs are). In choosing your LCD, make sure you check for true contrast ratio -don't let the marketing numbers get to you. Check the reviews and audition. Unlike in audio though, I'd give more weight to reputable reviews than showroom impressions which in my experience, can be misleading.   

Hope that helped.
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2007 at 04:23 PM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2007 at 06:39 PM »
Let me give this a shot:  Both are important IMO although a lot of experts will tell you contrast ratio is more important for overall picture quality. For 32", 37" and to a lesser degree 42" TV's, the highest resolution-1080p is not so critical because its only when you get to 50" and up where 1080p shows its advantage over 720p.

In layman's terms, resolution is simply about the screen's ability to show the finest detail while contrast ratio is about the screen's ability to go as black as can be. Like me before I read up,  many buyers do not appreciate the impact of the latter -  basically a screen cannot be accurate with its colors if it has poor contrast ratio. Blacks are rendered gray, reds are rendered orange, etc. You won't realize the full import of that until you see side by side a TV with good contrast and a TV with a bad one. The difference when watching an HD movie is huge.

LCD 's have gained mastery over resolution but they are still having a hard time with contrast ratio (due to backlight leakage - its the way LCDs are). In choosing your LCD, make sure you check for true contrast ratio -don't let the marketing numbers get to you. Check the reviews and audition. Unlike in audio though, I'd give more weight to reputable reviews than showroom impressions which in my experience, can be misleading.   

Hope that helped.

Very impressive explanation...

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 03:50 PM »
thanks for the reply sir lithium!
very informative!

Offline macx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hakuna Matata!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 07:19 PM »

Hope that helped.

Great answer.

Offline wunder9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 08:10 PM »
Would you happen to be the same xxxyzledge at pinoyguns forum?

Offline bhengko

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2007 at 08:10 AM »
Comparing three LCD TV brands

Panasonic        Samsung        Hitachi
Resolution           1366x768       1366x768      1366x768
Contrast Ratio      8,500:1          8,000:1         10,000:1

Does this mean that Hitachi produces clearer & accurate image?
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2007 at 08:10 AM by bhengko »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2007 at 12:13 PM »
Not necessarily, because manufacturer's contrast ratio specs are not accurate.

See my old post:

... Siguro nga, but that would only be the marketing claim, not the true contrast ratio. 

A new movie in a movie house should have a contrast ratio of about 500:1, yet ludicrous claims of LCD and plasma TVs having a contrast ratio of 7,000:1 to 10,000:1 are common. 

To make all of this a little more concrete, let's enumerate some specimen contrast ratios. If you're reading these words, the contrast ratio of the page before you is about 80:1. If you're looking at them on your monitor, the ratio is closer to 50:1. If you go to the movies and watch a good, clean print, the ratio (given the right scene) might be 500:1. http://www.da-lite.com/education/angles_of_view.php?action=details&issueid=56

The audio industry used to do this with their PMPO specs.  This time, it's the video industry that loves to throw those specs around. 

But I can't say I blame them.  It's good for business.  And when business is good, prices naturally gravitate to lower levels.

As for the important aspects of overall picture quality, see my old post:

According to the ISF (Imaging Science Foundation), the most important aspects of picture quality are:  1. contrast ratio, 2. color saturation, 3. color accuracy, and 4. resolution, in that order.  Note that resolution is actually the least important among the four aspects.   

Note that the only accurate spec that the manufacturer can publish is resolution.  The 3 others have no standard of accuracy as far as published specs are concerned.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2007 at 12:21 PM by barrister »

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 04:05 PM »
Would you happen to be the same xxxyzledge at pinoyguns forum?

yes sir wunder9 !!!
men's hobbies are basically the same.... guns, audio/ht equipments, dslrs....
i lurk at 8 forums at least having the same callsign... ;D

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 04:10 PM »
According to the ISF (Imaging Science Foundation), the most important aspects of picture quality are:  1. contrast ratio, 2. color saturation, 3. color accuracy, and 4. resolution, in that order.  Note that resolution is actually the least important among the four aspects.   

Note that the only accurate spec that the manufacturer can publish is resolution.  The 3 others have no standard of accuracy as far as published specs are concerned.

nice infor sir barrister!
since manufacturer's contrast ratio specs is not accurate,
can we safely assume that, the one with the highest claim
(in the case of sir bhengko's post is the hitachi) would be
the best in terms of highest contrast ratio?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 06:41 PM »
nice infor sir barrister!

You're very welcome, sir.  I posted that at a time when many of our members were resolution-obsessed.  :)

since manufacturer's contrast ratio specs is not accurate,
can we safely assume that, the one with the highest claim
(in the case of sir bhengko's post is the hitachi) would be
the best in terms of highest contrast ratio?

No, definitely not.  In the absence of an accurate standard, manufacturer's specs are useless.

Instead of a measurement taken by the manufacturer itself, a better basis would be a measurement performed by an independent body.

To appreciate how useless the manfacturer specs for contrast ratio are, it is essential to first understand the basics about contrast and grayscale.

How is contrast ratio measured?

The most common methods are the Full On/Off method and the ANSI Contrast ratio measurement. 

Full On/Off Contrast measures the ratio of the light output of an all-white image (full on), vs. the light output of an all-black (full off) image. This is the measurement most favored by manufactures as it yields a larger number for the contrast ratio.

ANSI Contrast is measured with a pattern of 16 alternating black and white rectangles - also referred to as the 'checkerboard' test pattern. The average light output from the white rectangles is divided by the average light output of the black rectangles to determine the ANSI contrast ratio.

While ANSI contrast is more accurate, it still cannot tell you the whole story.  That's because you do not watch black and white checkerboards on your screen in real life.  In real world situations, grayscaling is even more important than a full-black and full-white comparison.

Another factor to consider is ambient light.  Measurement taken in a room with ambient lighting will differ from those taken in a dark room.

================================================

References:

The Contrast Ratio Game

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/contrast-ratio.html

LCD Specs: Useless?
Tested contrast ratios rarely conform to vendors' specs.

http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2106p024id110483.htm
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2008 at 10:44 PM by barrister »

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 09:37 AM »
salamat sir barrister!

these links will keep me busy for the rest of the afternoon...... ;D