Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 498185 times)

Offline R2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2550 on: Jan 11, 2011 at 02:51 AM »
So, neither RPG Metanoia nor Rosario made it to your "best/notable" films of 2010 then, Mr. Vera? I'm not saying they should be, though (haven't seen either as yet,unfortunately). It's just that they created quite a buzz, and in fact got mostly good reviews (especially with RPG Metanoia).
Any other members who could come up with their "Best of 2010" lists?

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #2551 on: Jan 12, 2011 at 02:51 PM »
^ I think Mr. Noel is abroad so he hasn't seen them yet.
I just saw RPG last night at one of the last few cinemas still showing it and it is freaking great! Sure the animation is not that flawless but  it may be interpreted as simulating the gaming experience of a 3rd world PC with an old videocard. hehe! But the story, the character design, the Pinoy touches make me so proud of this movie!
The only thing I did not like is the casting of that Zaijan kid as the lead. He is just too young to play a grade 5 student.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2552 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 10:04 AM »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2553 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 11:52 PM »
This maybe the Holy Grail of the Scorpio Nights release (or at least the closest I've seen):

http://tfcnow.abs-cbn.com/moviedetails.aspx?showid=818&eid=19279

I haven't seen the whole movie yet but I sampled it and all the sex scenes seem to be intact and the video quality is quite good.  There was one abrupt cut at around 46:58 minute marker that I've noticed though, maybe a problem in the source material. Too bad it's a bit of a crucial scene. It's the part where Anne Marie stopped Daniel Fernando from leaving.  This version didn't show her grasping his hand and inviting him back into the "kulambo".  Also the video of the last bits are a bit noisy.

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2011 at 12:48 AM by rse »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2554 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM »
Saw Babaeng Putik. A well made pinoy erotic horror movie.  The monster though is reminiscent of the Predator. Check it out:

http://tfcnow.abs-cbn.com/moviedetails.aspx?showid=753&eid=16569&rid=ce766acb-d5fa-4d52-bc57-d89ed1deae1d

Was this, by any chance, the uncensored version?  :)

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2555 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 11:06 AM »

Is there an uncensored one?

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2556 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM »

I don't know, I haven't seen it before. But normally tfcnow does not censor their movies.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2557 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 11:21 AM »
This maybe the Holy Grail of the Scorpio Nights release (or at least the closest I've seen):

http://tfcnow.abs-cbn.com/moviedetails.aspx?showid=818&eid=19279

I haven't seen the whole movie yet but I sampled it and all the sex scenes seem to be intact and the video quality is quite good.  There was one abrupt cut at around 46:58 minute marker that I've noticed though, maybe a problem in the source material. Too bad it's a bit of a crucial scene. It's the part where Anne Marie stopped Daniel Fernando from leaving.  This version didn't show her grasping his hand and inviting him back into the "kulambo".  Also the video of the last bits are a bit noisy.

The one that has the saliva exchange between Anna Marie & Daniel Fernando is the uncut one.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2558 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 03:09 PM »
Is there an uncensored one?

yup there is.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2559 on: Jan 16, 2011 at 01:39 AM »
yup there is.

Baka may copy si Rico.  ;D I have a copy of the film somewhere, but I haven't started on it yet. I'm building up the mood again--after I marathoned three of his films (Cogon, Altar and Villa Estrella). 

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2560 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 07:11 PM »
Saw Mel Chionglo's LUCIA.  They should call this movie LES MISERABLES instead.  It's not bad per se, it's just that it's misery from A to Z.  It's like Rocco and his Brothers on steroids or imagine all the Lino Brocka slum movies rolled into one.

For those interested in seeing this, I bought my copy here:
http://www.tve.org/mp7/details.cfm?l=e&fid=1493

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2561 on: Jan 28, 2011 at 07:33 PM »
I was shocked and surprised to know that one of the rapists of Sarsi Emmanuelle in Virgin Forest becomes a full-fledged woman at night. A case of Jekyll and Hide. Lol!

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2562 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 09:55 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2563 on: Mar 06, 2011 at 12:51 PM »
SOFIA's screening of the rare film by Mario O'Hara, BAGONG HARI will push through next Saturday, March 12 same time 2pm at the CCP.

There was an electrical power problem yesterday all the shows for that day were cancelled.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2011 at 12:53 PM by keating »

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2565 on: Mar 25, 2011 at 09:58 AM »
Bagong Hari (The New King, Mario O'Hara, 1986) Special screening of U-matic copy.

SOFIA's screening of the rare film by Mario O'Hara, BAGONG HARI will push through next Saturday, March 12 same time 2pm at the CCP.

There was an electrical power problem yesterday all the shows for that day were cancelled.

I can't believe I missed this. :(  Any idea if they're screening the film again? Cinemanila, maybe?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2566 on: Mar 25, 2011 at 12:11 PM »
Now that there's a copy, it'll be easier. Watch the skies...

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2567 on: Apr 24, 2011 at 08:32 PM »
Catch Me... I'm In Love (2011)
Sarah Geronimo and Gerald Anderson have chemistry but they are letdown by a very weak material.  Weak even in Star Cinema romance comedy standard.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+428)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1249
« Reply #2568 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM »
Auraeus Solito's Busong will be part of the Director's Fortnight program in Cannes. Here's how the festival describes it:

Busong is the indigenous Palawan concept of Fate or instant Karma. Nature reacts instantly to man's disrespect of nature and other men. Punay was born with wounds in her feet so that she cannot step on the earth. Her brother, Angkarang, carries her through a hammock, as he searches the changing landscape of Palawan in hoping to find a healer who can cure Punay. Different people help him carry his sister along the way- a woman looking for her husband, a fisherman who lost his boat and a young man who is searching for himself- and each one meets their fate. The first Palawanon indigenous film.

Trailer: http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/04/cannes-2011-trailer-premiere-for-philippine-drama-busong-palawan-fate.php

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2569 on: May 15, 2011 at 05:54 PM »
Saw Chito Rono's horror-comedy Bulong.  It's not very good, it's all over the place, derivative and has no internal logic. Vhong Navarro and Angelica Panganiban are the wasted.  Avoid like the plague.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #2570 on: May 16, 2011 at 09:35 PM »
I haven't seen it but I have to say I'm surprised Tumbok is NOT a bold movie.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2571 on: May 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM »
SOFIA (Society of Filpino Archivists for Film) will have a special fund raising screening of the lost teenage film classic SUMMER LOVE on May 30, 7:30pm at The Podium Cinema. This trailblazing fun romp produced by Lily Monteverde, written by Iskho Lopez and directed by Elwood Perez launched the Snooky Serna / Gabby Concepcion, Maricel Soriano / William Martinez tandem  and became the definitive 80's teen flick providing the template to a long succession of teenage love team movies during Regal's Golden Age.

Come, share and experience with your loved ones... SUMMER LOVE.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #2572 on: May 18, 2011 at 01:33 PM »
Here's some of the winners of the Urian awards...i am ashamed to say i have not seen any of the winning films...

"Ang Damgo ni Eleuteria" was named Best Picture for 2010 while Fe GingGing Hyde and Sid Lucero won top acting honors
 http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20110517-337045/Ang-Damgo-ni-Eleuteria-Fe-Ginging-Hyde-Sid-Lucero-top-Urian-awards

meanwhile their  top 10 films of the 2000s are

1) “Batang West Side” (2001) by Lav Diaz

2) “Tuhog” (2001) by Jeffrey Jeturian

3) “Babae sa Breakwater” (2003) by Mario O’Hara

4) “Magnifico” (2003) by Maryo J. de los Reyes

5) “Ebolusyon ng Pamilyang Pilipino” (2004) by Lav Diaz

6) “Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros” (2005) by Auraeus Solito

7) “Kubrador” (2006) by Jeffrey Jeturian

8) “Serbis” (2008) by Brillante Mendoza

9) “Kinatay” (2009) by Brillante Mendoza

10) “Lola” (2009) by Brillante Mendoza.

source: http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/artsandbooks/artsandbooks/view/20110516-336708/Manunuri_critics_name_10_best_Filipino_films,_top_actors_of_the_2000%92s
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011 at 01:36 PM by halvert »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2573 on: May 24, 2011 at 12:36 AM »
Bought the DVD of Ishmael Bernal's Working Girls.  I also have the old VCD from a previous release.

I haven't seen my old VCD for a long time but what I can say from memory is that this DVD is superior to the old release.  The transfer is better and it has English subtitles (although it burnt-in).  The audio is a bit muddle in parts.  Also included are scene selections and photo gallery.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2574 on: May 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM »
Nice to know that. I could barely see anything in the VCD.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2575 on: May 24, 2011 at 09:58 PM »
Nice to know that. I could barely see anything in the VCD.
Also maybe it's my memory failing but the DVD seems to be more explicit than the VCD.  I don't remember the VCD having a lot of love scenes.  The DVD has a few including a montage of Maria Isabel Lopez'.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2576 on: May 25, 2011 at 04:58 PM »
MOTHER LILY TODO SUPORTA SA FILM PRESERVATION

Ipinahayag ni Mother Lily ng Regal Films kamakailan ang  kanyang suporta sa pagtataguyod ng film preservation sa Pilipinas.  Sa pakikipagtulungan ng SOFIA (Samahan Ng Mga Filipinong Arkivista Para Sa Pelikula, Inc.) na pinamumunuan ni Dr. Clodualdo del Mundo, Jr., nais ipahatid ni Mother Lily ang kahalagahan nito sa pamamagitan ng isang natatanging pagtatanghal ng pelikulang Summer Love ni direktor Elwood Perez sa darating na Hunyo 11 ika-6 ng gabi sa Cultural Center of the Philippines.

Ayon kay Mother Lily, “Bilang prodyuser, nauunawaan ko ang kahalagahan ng film preservation sa dahilang nakagawa ng pelikula sa Regal ang ilan sa mga pinakamahusay na direktor ng bansa tulad nina Ishmael Bernal at Joey Gosiengfiao, gayundin sina Lino Brocka at Peque Gallaga hanggang kina Mike de Leon at Elwood Perez. Nakakalungkot isiping hindi na muling mabibigyan ng pagkakataon ang bagong henerasyong mapanood ang mga pelikulang ginawa namin noong dekada ’70 at ’80.”

Si Mother Lily ang kauna-unahang prodyuser ng pelikula sa bansa ang nagpaabot ng suporta sa adhikain ng SOFIA upang maitaguyod ang film preservation.

Personal din nitong pinamamahalaan ang archive ng kanyang mga pelikula samantalang ang anak na si Roselle naman ang namumuno sa pagsasalin ng mga ito sa digital format.

Ang Summer Love ay kaisa-isang pelikulang nawawala sa Regal library  nang masunog ang istudyo noong huling bahagi ng dekada ’80 hanggang sa matagpuan ng SOFIA ang kopya ng pelikula sa U-matic format noong nakaraang taon. Ngayon ay muling mabibigyan ng pagkakataon ang manonood na masaksihan ang pelikulang kinunan sa makasaysayang lungsod ng Taal, Batangas na siyang nagbigay daan sa mga pelikulang pang-kabataan at nagpasimuno sa pinakamainit na tambalan ng dekada ’80: Sina Snooky at Gabby Concepcion at sina Maricel Soriano at William Martinez. Nang minsang bumisita si Mother Lily sa set ng pelikula ay nagustuhan niya ang lugar na siyang nagtulak sa kanya upang bumili ng ari-arian hanggang sa maitayo ang Imperial Resort. Itinanghal siyang anak ng Taal at nitong nagdaang Abril ay pinamunuan ang kauna-unahang pista ng El Pasuba. Maliban sa Taal, itinampok din sa pelikulang Summer Love ang La Union at Baguio na madalas pasyalan sa tuwing sisbol ang tag-araw.

Ang pagsasanib puwersang ito ng Regal Films at SOFIA ang magbibigay daan  upang maipaabot ang importansiya ng film preservation sa bansa na magsisilbing salamin sa yaman ng kulturang Pilipino.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011 at 05:02 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2577 on: May 26, 2011 at 02:33 AM »
MOTHER LILY TODO SUPORTA SA FILM PRESERVATION

Ipinahayag ni Mother Lily ng Regal Films kamakailan ang  kanyang suporta sa pagtataguyod ng film preservation sa Pilipinas.  Sa pakikipagtulungan ng SOFIA (Samahan Ng Mga Filipinong Arkivista Para Sa Pelikula, Inc.) na pinamumunuan ni Dr. Clodualdo del Mundo, Jr., nais ipahatid ni Mother Lily ang kahalagahan nito sa pamamagitan ng isang natatanging pagtatanghal ng pelikulang Summer Love ni direktor Elwood Perez sa darating na Hunyo 11 ika-6 ng gabi sa Cultural Center of the Philippines.

Ayon kay Mother Lily, “Bilang prodyuser, nauunawaan ko ang kahalagahan ng film preservation sa dahilang nakagawa ng pelikula sa Regal ang ilan sa mga pinakamahusay na direktor ng bansa tulad nina Ishmael Bernal at Joey Gosiengfiao, gayundin sina Lino Brocka at Peque Gallaga hanggang kina Mike de Leon at Elwood Perez. Nakakalungkot isiping hindi na muling mabibigyan ng pagkakataon ang bagong henerasyong mapanood ang mga pelikulang ginawa namin noong dekada ’70 at ’80.”

Si Mother Lily ang kauna-unahang prodyuser ng pelikula sa bansa ang nagpaabot ng suporta sa adhikain ng SOFIA upang maitaguyod ang film preservation.

Personal din nitong pinamamahalaan ang archive ng kanyang mga pelikula samantalang ang anak na si Roselle naman ang namumuno sa pagsasalin ng mga ito sa digital format.

Ang Summer Love ay kaisa-isang pelikulang nawawala sa Regal library  nang masunog ang istudyo noong huling bahagi ng dekada ’80 hanggang sa matagpuan ng SOFIA ang kopya ng pelikula sa U-matic format noong nakaraang taon. Ngayon ay muling mabibigyan ng pagkakataon ang manonood na masaksihan ang pelikulang kinunan sa makasaysayang lungsod ng Taal, Batangas na siyang nagbigay daan sa mga pelikulang pang-kabataan at nagpasimuno sa pinakamainit na tambalan ng dekada ’80: Sina Snooky at Gabby Concepcion at sina Maricel Soriano at William Martinez. Nang minsang bumisita si Mother Lily sa set ng pelikula ay nagustuhan niya ang lugar na siyang nagtulak sa kanya upang bumili ng ari-arian hanggang sa maitayo ang Imperial Resort. Itinanghal siyang anak ng Taal at nitong nagdaang Abril ay pinamunuan ang kauna-unahang pista ng El Pasuba. Maliban sa Taal, itinampok din sa pelikulang Summer Love ang La Union at Baguio na madalas pasyalan sa tuwing sisbol ang tag-araw.

Ang pagsasanib puwersang ito ng Regal Films at SOFIA ang magbibigay daan  upang maipaabot ang importansiya ng film preservation sa bansa na magsisilbing salamin sa yaman ng kulturang Pilipino.

This is great news!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2578 on: May 26, 2011 at 07:04 AM »
Cool, I hope she follows through on that...

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2579 on: May 26, 2011 at 10:15 PM »
Dalaw
Big budget horror movie from Star Cinema.  Nothing special, very similar to the other Kris Aquino horror movies.  The running gag of Gina Pareno uttering some of the most famous pinoy movie lines didn't work and all and out of place.

Tanging Ina Ninyong Lahat Last Na To
Not a total waste of time but there's nothing special about it.  For completists only.

Super Inday and the Magic Bibe
I actually enjoyed this remake. The FX are not too distracting too.

Ang Darling Kong Aswang
All I can say is that the DVD transfer is quite good.

Darna at Ang Babaeng Tuod
It's more of a story of the Babaeng Tuod than Darna.  Darna's role is more of a cameo than anything.

Petrang Kabayo
I don't remember the original but this remake is so bad and the humor is very "mean-spirited".
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011 at 01:54 AM by rse »