Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500026 times)

Offline sharkey360

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2610 on: Nov 10, 2011 at 09:47 AM »
Paranaque Bank Robbery: The Joselito Joseco Story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drgo_sBy2no

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #2611 on: Nov 13, 2011 at 09:13 PM »
Kinatay (Brillante Mendoza) ***1/2 - A shocking, horrifying film about a young criminology student/rookie cop/new father/new husband who takes an extra job for much needed extra pay but gets more than what he bargained for as he joins a group of corrupt cops doing unspeakable things to a hooker. I can see how Mendoza won Best Director at Cannes. It's a tense film. It singlehandedly turned familiar sights and sounds around Manila into a surreal nightmare of sorts as it builds to its inevitable conclusion. A bit heavyhanded here and there but nevertheless quite compelling and appropriately shattering.

Online halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 477
« Reply #2612 on: Nov 14, 2011 at 01:54 PM »
do you think this had a better shot at the oscars best foreign film than what we sent? (was it Noy starring coco martin or ded na si lolo?)

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2613 on: Nov 18, 2011 at 05:07 AM »
Stuggling to finish the remake of Temptation Island.  Might as well watch the original. 

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2614 on: Nov 18, 2011 at 09:23 PM »
do you think this had a better shot at the oscars best foreign film than what we sent? (was it Noy starring coco martin or ded na si lolo?)

I doubt it but they DID nominate Dogtooth so I guess it was possible.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2615 on: Dec 13, 2011 at 02:05 PM »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2616 on: Dec 14, 2011 at 01:39 AM »
No Other Woman
Missed opportunity. I guess it will appeal to its target audience.  Carmi Martin is delicious though and has the  best lines.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2617 on: Dec 14, 2011 at 12:44 PM »
Carmi Martin is always delicious...

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+428)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1254
« Reply #2618 on: Jan 18, 2012 at 06:36 AM »
Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank gained 2 nominations in the upcoming 6th Asian Film Awards: Eugene Domingo for Best Actress & Chris Martinez for Best Screenwriter.

Sharmaine Buencamino is nominated for Best Supporting Actress for Niño.

The 6th Asian Film Awards ceremony will be held in Hong Kong on March 19, 2012.

Full list of 6th Asian Film Award nominees:
http://www.asianfilmawards.asia/2012/press-room/6th-asian-film-awards-nomination-list/
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2012 at 06:40 AM by jas »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2619 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM »
Saw Paglilitis ni Bonifacio.  It’s well photographed in a nice hint of sepia and some of the scenes were cleverly filmed and effectively hid its budgetary constraints -- but in general I find it quite dull.  I didn't care much about the characters.  I think that the actor who played Bonifacio was miscast. The guy who played his brother would have been a better fit.  The wife seemed like she's in a totally different movie.  I thought, at one point, that she will start yelling, "Crispiiiin....Basiliiioooo!!!"  The actual trial was quite repetitive and boring.  The majority of the acting were weak/amateurish (of mostly I suspect were non-professional actors), which I find peculiar in an O Hara movie. Getting great performances (even from bit players) is usually one of O Hara’s forte. Most of the dialog sounded like speeches and not conversations. The whole "zarzuela" section distracted more than added to the procedure.  It took me away from the drama.  The narrator character was just plain annoying and it's weird that her speak pattern switched between "colloquial" and "formal" near the end of the movie.  Her white-painted face and eyebrows just added to my distractions.   I must say though that the songs sung by a couple of characters were lovely and moving.

The one period indie film that I find more successful than this is "Concerto".  Sometimes I guess that less is more.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2012 at 01:28 AM by rse »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2620 on: Jan 26, 2012 at 08:07 AM »
I find also the narrator the weakest point in the film. Was that Mailes Kanapi? She's a great character actress but distracting on PAGLILITIS NI BONIFACIO.

The finale still has some magic realism which is a trademark on most O'Hara films.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2621 on: Jan 28, 2012 at 01:10 AM »
I find also the narrator the weakest point in the film. Was that Mailes Kanapi? She's a great character actress but distracting on PAGLILITIS NI BONIFACIO.

The finale still has some magic realism which is a trademark on most O'Hara films.

The whole Moro-Moro/Ibong Adarna is quite distracting for me and a bit overused as a tool of symbolism.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2622 on: Feb 03, 2012 at 01:55 AM »
Saw Damgo ni Eleuteria.

The "single shot" although an impressive feat, felt a bit gimmicky at times. For example, it just so happened that the cousin arrived just in time with some extra sets of clothes for her to wear.  Also I didn’t know if she was trying to drown her self or was just goofing around or moaning.  If she was trying to commit suicide, I would have preferred a more “serious” talk from her dad.  I would have preferred if the movie started when they're about to leave their house.

The movie featured some of the most impressive non-professional acting that I’ve seen in our indie film industry.  The mother and father portrayals  especially were real and touching.  The dad was hilarious.  The other supporting cast are also well cast. They were the ones who made the whole movie worked.

The movie was lacking some crucial details I think.  It wasn’t mentioned once how Terya managed to get a visa for Germany.  I know that immigration rules during these economic conditions are very strict and restrictive, but imagine getting a visa to marry someone you haven’t even met yet, not even seen on Skype but only on telephone conversations?  That said, I must admit that I don’t really know the mechanics of the mail-order bride industry.

Terya and her cousin had a lot of lengthy conversations but never once the cousin asked where in Germany she’s heading and never gave specific tips/advice regarding life in Germany.  I suspected that the lady is an illegal recruiter because she mentioned that she’s based in Italy in the city of Paris (or did I just misheard it?).  She also didn't give any specifics during her conversations with Terya and that added to my assumption that she’s might be an illegal recruiter or even involved in some kind of human trafficking.

The village idiot was annoying and didn’t really add anything to the movie.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2012 at 02:03 AM by rse »

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2623 on: Feb 03, 2012 at 10:52 AM »
Four Pinoy films to compete in Berlin filmfest

Four Filipino films will compete in the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale) next week, including one by 2009 Cannes Film Festival Best Director Brillante Mendoza.

In a statement, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said some 22 films “from all over the world” will be competing in the festival, which will be held from February 9 to 19. For the Philippines, Mendoza’s “Captive” will be pitted in the main competition.

The DFA said the film “hopes to regain Berlinale audiences’ attention to the excellence of filmmaking in the Philippines.”

“For almost the past three decades, the Philippines has not had a film entry in the Main Competition section. The first and only time it did was in 1983 with the film ‘Himala’ by award-winning director Ishmael Bernal. However, this year, ‘Captive’ is among the first batch of five films selected as official entries in the Main Competition,” it said.

The DFA described “Captive” as “a fiction film that retraces real-life events about a hostage drama in the southern Philippines.”

Entries
 Meanwhile, the other three films that will be competing in different categories are as follows:
“Ang Babae sa Septic Tank” by Marlon Rivera (Forum Section)
“Nono” by Rommel Tolentino (Generation Kplus Section)
“Pusong Wazak!” by Khavn de la Cruz (Short Film Section).

“Ang Babae sa Septic Tank” stars Cinemalaya best actress Eugene Domingo and is Rivera’s directorial debut.

It is “a hilarious take on the Filipino indie (independent) film industry, its ups and downs, and the seemingly endless challenges that indie filmmakers face,” the DFA said.

Meanwhile, “Nono” tells “about a young child with a speech disability due to facial deformity, and his desire to join the oratorical contest during his school’s National Language Week celebration.”

The film bagged the Special Jury Prize in the 2009 Cinemalaya Film Festival, while Tolentino “is the first Filipino filmmaker who won the Clermonth Ferrand International Short Film Festival in France in 2009,” the DFA said.

De la Cruz’s “Pusong Wazak!”, according to the DFA, “is a classic love story between a gangster and a prostitute.”

Aside from the film entries, Edward Cabagnot, media arts director of the Cultural Center of the Philippines, will represent the country at the film festival as a member of the International Jury.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/246693/pinoyabroad/four-pinoy-films-to-compete-in-berlin-filmfest?ref=latest

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2624 on: Feb 08, 2012 at 03:22 PM »
Straight from the Regal Matriarch:

"STARZAN was not the film that saved Regal from bankruptcy....Regal was never bankrupt!"- Mother Lily

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2625 on: Feb 13, 2012 at 06:06 AM »
Saw Babae sa Septic Tank at Berlinale. Very funny & biting satire. Very well received by the audience. There was a Q & A afterwards. We managed to get our picture taken with the director (who's very nice & accommodating) & writer. Also got their autographs.

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2654
« Reply #2626 on: Feb 17, 2012 at 07:51 AM »
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2627 on: Feb 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM »
Revisited Brocka's Bayan Ko: Kapit sa Patalim. One of the best agitprops I've seen, making its sister movie, Sister Stella L seem redundant.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #2628 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM »
Another proud moment in pinoy cinema...

...we got on the front page of 9gag.com. ;D ;D  ;D

Offline dyango

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2629 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM »
sana ilagay din nila yung machete with lubid throw nya

At yung sa boy tambling hinagis ang tsinelas at nagtambling sakto suot nya ulit. Ang nakakahanga duon yung tsinelas itinapon magkadikit at nakatayo pa din  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2630 on: Mar 09, 2012 at 12:52 PM »
"El Presidente," or as I call it "The Assassination of Andres Bonifacio by the C__ Emilio Aguinaldo," stars Nora Aunor, Gov. Ejercito, Robin Padilla and Judy Ann Santos...

Online halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 477
« Reply #2631 on: Mar 09, 2012 at 03:26 PM »
our fellow member resigned from the selection committee of Cinemalaya because the entry MNL 143 was disqualified due to casting disagreements between the filmmaker and Robbie Tan... kaya nga indie film di ba? cienamlaya, dapat malaya sila gumawa ng pelikula nila.
http://oggsmoggs.blogspot.com/2012/03/cinemalaya-resignation-letter.html

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2632 on: Mar 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM »
One of Regal's upcoming film...

"PRIDYIDER" starring: Carla Abellana, and Janice De Belen, kasama sina Tom Rodriguez, Daniel Matsunaga, at Venus Raj, Directed by: Rico Ilarde...

I wonder if this is a spin-off of Janice De Belen's "Shake, Rattle and Roll 1" episode?

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2633 on: Mar 14, 2012 at 09:14 PM »
One of Regal's upcoming film...

"PRIDYIDER" starring: Carla Abellana, and Janice De Belen, kasama sina Tom Rodriguez, Daniel Matsunaga, at Venus Raj, Directed by: Rico Ilarde...

I wonder if this is a spin-off of Janice De Belen's "Shake, Rattle and Roll 1" episode?

Perhaps nothing can beat the SRR1 episode in terms of concept, execution and horror. The 1984 story had eroticism as well.

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2634 on: Mar 21, 2012 at 05:53 PM »
If true, these 2 films will probably be selected by the MMFF committee...

#1. Vic, Ai-Ai & Bong join forces for 2012 MMFF?
-- http://www.philstar.com/funfare/article.aspx?articleid=789282&publicationsubcategoryid=70

#2. From Regal Films - ang unang pelikulang pag sasamahan nina MARIAN RIVERA at ng Top Rated KAPAMILYA Actor COCO MARTIN Directed by: Maryo J. De los Reyes!
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2012 at 05:54 PM by geckoph »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2635 on: Mar 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM »
The MMFF is starting to become so predictable, it's starting to become a joke.

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #2636 on: Mar 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM »
isn't it already?

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2637 on: Mar 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM »
Domingo, Buencamino win at Asian Film Awards
ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 03/20/2012

Eugene Domingo and Shamaine Buencamino won 2 major trophies at the 6th Asian Film Awards ceremony in Hong Kong on Monday.

Domingo took home the People's Choice most popular actress award for her performance in "Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank."

Buencamino won the Best Supporting Actress award for her role in "Niño."

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2638 on: Apr 03, 2012 at 10:32 AM »
Corazon, ang unang aswang is an interesting feature. It's an indie movie backed by Abs-cbn and stars a mix of popular mainstream and indie actors. It has a lot of interesting ideas but a lot of them are not fully realised and the main actors are too pretty to be convincing. I still think that its a good transition movie. A fact that a hybrid indie/ maintream movie can be commercially viable.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2639 on: Apr 24, 2012 at 08:06 AM »
Filipino film gets good feedback at Tribeca
By Walden Martinez Belen | Yahoo! Southeast Asia Newsroom
April 23, 2012

“Graceland,” a film by Filipino director Ron Morales, is getting good feedback at this year’s Tribeca Film Festival (TFF).

TFF Director of Programming Genna Terranova  said, “I think it can connect to its audience because it is a thriller and thrillers are immediately acceptable by the audience.”

Another ace up its sleeve is the interesting story.

“There’s a bigger story going on in that movie. That’s an important story and hopefully people are going to walk away questioning what’s happening in that movie and being curious on what’s going on,” Genna observes.

She goes on, “‘Graceland’ is a very intense thriller that comes from the Philippines and we’re excited about it. We were surprised to find it in the Philippines and it has a unique story and point of view.”

Genna also thinks Morales, who wrote the film as well, belongs to a new set of filmmakers who fuse many genre elements in their movies.

She believes Morales, a graduate of Parsons and NYU  film school, did a good job  because his movie basically moved them. It is also not your “regular story” or “regular movie” that you see.

“I think the community here is excited about it and we are too to show this new film, ‘Graceland,’” reveals Genna.

The film stars indie actor Arnold Reyes, who plays a long-time driver of a politician. One day, he brings his daughter to work. He and his boss are ambushed. To make matters worse, their assailants kidnap the daughter by mistake. They demand ransom which the driver can’t afford. What will he do to save his daughter?

Making the cut at the 11th TTF is not easy. A  TFF report says organizers sifted through 5,950 submissions  around the world.  A total of 3,090 were feature films while the remaining 2,860 were Shorts.

Thus, “Graceland’s” inclusion in the festival is a feat in itself. Geoff Gilmore, the festival’s Chief Creative Officer explained what the Festival represents.

“The Tribeca Film festival is always a multi-faceted genre and a spectrum of what you want to do. We really are a festival born with community but we are really a festival that is really about excited about innovation, about discovery and the work that means in terms of its usefulness in the industry. At the end of the day we want to accomplish at this year’s program quality and quality means a lot of different things. What makes a movie a Tribeca Film is that it has no limits. We have this spectrum that we can showcase and we are excited about that presentation in terms of what it means for the International and American Cinema.”

Another Filipino filmmaker, Ramona S. Diaz, will showcase her documentary,  “Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey” at Tribeca. It is the story of Filipino singer Arnel Pineda who made it as main vocalist of iconic rock band Journey.