Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500112 times)

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+428)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1254
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2640 on: Apr 24, 2012 at 08:13 AM »
^ Related article from Twitch Film:

TRAILER PREMIERE FOR RON MORALES' INTENSE FILIPINO THRILLER GRACELAND

We've said it before and we're going to say it again: There is a wave of independent talent rising in The Philippines that is going to completely revolutionize the way the rest of the world understands cinema from the island nation within the very near future. Between established commercial talents like Erik Matti going the indie road, the rise of a new generation outside of the studio system thanks to ventures like the Cinema One Originals series and Filipino expats bringing their skills back in to the nation, the days when screen content was controlled by a small number of established studios are quickly ending.

One of those expat talents is Ron Morales, the New York based director of Santa Mesa. Morales keeps busy as a crew member on big studio productions in New York but he has returned to his homeland to scratch that directorial itch once again with the intense thriller Graceland.

Family man Marlon Villar (Arnold Reyes) is the long-time driver of Manuel Chango (Menggie Cobarrubias), a corrupt Filipino politician. One day, as he and his daughter accompany his boss' preteen daughter home, Marlon is ambushed and the wrong girl is kidnapped. The driver's life takes a sudden, terrifying turn which propels him into a horrifying downward spiral and - as events in his life unravel - Marlon, Chango, and their families become entangled in a game of deceit and betrayal that will leave no one innocent.

GRACELAND is the second feature from acclaimed writer/director Ron Morales, and stars Arnold Reyes, Menggie Cobarrubias, Dido de la Paz, Leon Miguel, and Ella Guevara.

TRAILER:
http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/11/trailer-premiere-for-ron-morales-intense-filipino-thriller-graceland.php

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #2641 on: Apr 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM »
One aspect of the plot seems to be lifted out of Kurosawa's High & Low. But the film sounds like it could be good.

Offline rse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2642 on: Apr 28, 2012 at 05:32 PM »
Saw Segunda Mano. Visually bland, predictable and the confusingly structured.  Not really a fan of BB. Joyce Bernal.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2643 on: Apr 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM »
Really? Have not seen that. Pity.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2644 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM »
The Adventures of Pureza. Soxie Topacio's comedy is decidedly all over the place but is saved somehow by the winning chemistry between the two young comedian love team leads.

Praybeyt Benjamin. After Petrang Kabayo, Vice Ganda seems to be really following (borrowing) in the footsteps of Roderick Paulate.  This is really a reworking of Kumander Gringa.  Better than Petrang Kabayo, but that's not saying much.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2645 on: May 03, 2012 at 08:45 PM »
Raya Martin's Great Cinema Party

Warning: spoilers aplenty.  You've been warned, but if you want to save yourself 1hr & 10 mins of your life, I do encourage you to read on.

Raya Martin's Great Cinema Party is not really a movie.  It's a glorified home video. This is the synopsis as I’ve remembered it.

The opening is quite interesting only for the fact that it showed stock footage of war-torn Manila for about 15-20 mins – aside from the fact that there was no sound.  Then cut to a group of tourists (or at least they look like one), both foreign and local, who were goofing around some ruins in Corregidor with Carlos Celdran (as far as I am aware he holds a regular tour of the island).  Then cut to a buffet dinner at an Old Spanish house, which apparently, had been used in filming some local and foreign productions in the past. A man started showing an album of old photographs of old movies actors and actresses who used to film there.  The buffet of course included the world famous balut (in this case, in a weird, de-shelled, adobo-style serving) and some obligatory discussions about that dish.  Then the camera pan up the sky and a deity-like Lav Diaz appeared above, welcoming people to the great cinema party.  Then the action moved to Zambales.  Some more people joined the group (I guess of filmmakers and film enthusiasts, although the only person I recognised was Brillante Mendoza – not really their fault but my ignorance of who-is-who in the indie world or so).  The mostly indistinct conversations were mostly in English but you can’t really hear what they were talking about. I don't know if it's a camp fire but people seemed to be eating and drinking.  It's very dark and the scenes were not lit at all.  No one really talked about films except in passing when someone mentioned something about buying original DVDs and someone else said that she loves the Criterion Collection.  Then blank screen for 10 mins or so, with background music, and then after a while, I saw traces of an outrigger boat, so I guess they’re on a beach area.  Then just before it ended, there seemed to be a fireworks display.  I can't really be sure because like I said, it’s really, really dark.

That's it. One hour and 10 mins of my life wasted.  I've seen better photographed holiday video than this indulgence.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012 at 08:47 PM by rse »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2646 on: May 05, 2012 at 03:07 PM »
Yesterday Today Tomorrow is a well-made "Teleserye" movie. Not my cup of tea, but will please its target audience.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2647 on: May 07, 2012 at 01:45 AM »
Jerrold Tarog's Aswamg is a great mix of a monster & action movie. Just don't dare scrutinize it or the whole set-up falls apart.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2648 on: May 07, 2012 at 08:19 AM »
No narrative Ron, for THE GREAT CINEMA PARTY?!

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2649 on: May 08, 2012 at 12:10 AM »
No narrative Ron, for THE GREAT CINEMA PARTY?!

Nope, it plays like a vacation home video.  Really.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2650 on: May 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM »
Panday 2 is one of the best-produced Pinoy DVD's that I've ever bought. The film itself is not that bad and follows our long tradition of copying Hollywood blockbusters. I just hope that Star Cinema and other major companies take note when producing their DVD's.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2651 on: May 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM »
"Ligo Na U, Lapit Na Me" is the movie that "Unofficially Yours" tries to be but fails miserably at it.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2652 on: May 17, 2012 at 05:32 PM »
Joel Lamangan's Sagrada Familia is Kisapmata made for the teleserye crowd.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2654 on: Jun 10, 2012 at 02:31 AM »
Just saw Hitman DVD. Waste of time and money.  I should really stop watching movies made by Cesar Montano. 

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2655 on: Jun 10, 2012 at 05:46 AM »
I've only seen Mananabas. Which I didn't like. Judging from that alone (fair or unfair), he's no Ben Affleck.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2012 at 05:47 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2656 on: Jun 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM »
I've only seen Mananabas. Which I didn't like. Judging from that alone (fair or unfair), he's no Ben Affleck.

I haven't seen Mananabas but Ive seen Ligalig and Panaghoy sa Suba.  He overuses his camera. Hitman, he wrote, directed, produced & sang the theme song, so his indulgence is magnified to the max. It's not even campy.

I hate Ben Affleck as an actor bacause like Keira Knightly, he acts with his chin...but he's a very good director. He should stay behind the camera.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM by rse »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2657 on: Jun 12, 2012 at 04:11 AM »
Brillante Mendoza's Captive uses the same immersive approach of Kinatay.  It feels like you're one of the hostages and in the middle of the action.  Performances are uniformly great. The sea and especially the jungle played a big role, a place of both beauty and danger for the captives and the captors.  It’s nice that he’s mixed his shots a bit and used not just his trademark handheld shots.   Also the film doesn’t take sides but presents the Philippine military’s incompetence in dealing with search and rescue.  Lastly the biggest lesson learned is that if you’re a hostage, a non-foreigner, and with no connections or money – you’re more or less craped.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 477
« Reply #2658 on: Jun 12, 2012 at 04:54 PM »
if anyone's interested in old Sampaguita(?) classics, GMAnewstv (formerly QTV 11) shows old black and white films every weekday at 1pm. Just saw a bit of "Dance-o-rama" starring Susan Roces and Jose Mari Gonzales today. Groovy! Friday they'll show a Nora and Vilma teenybopper movie

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2659 on: Jun 15, 2012 at 07:58 AM »
35th Gawad Urian Award winners:

Best Picture: “Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa”

Best Actor: Paulo Avelino (for “Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa”)

Best Actress: Maja Salvador (for “Thelma”)

Best Director: Alvin Yapan (for “Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa”)

Best Supporting Actor: Art Acuña (for “Niño”)

Best Supporting Actress: Jean Garcia (for “Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa”)

Best Screenplay: Alvin Yapan (for “Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa”)

Best Cinematography: Arvin Viola (for “Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa”)

Best Production Design: Maulen Fadul (for “The Natural Phenomenon of Madness”)

Best Editing: Lawrence Fajardo (for “Amok”)

Best Music: Christine Muyco and Jema Pamintuan (for “Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa”)

Best Sound: Albert Michael Idioma and Addiss Tabong (for “Amok”)

Best Documentary: “Tundong Magiliw”

Best Short Film: “Sirip”

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2660 on: Jun 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM »
I saw Ang Sayaw... And I wadn't impressed. Much prefer Nino. And paulo avelino as best actor? No. Give it to the guy in Amok. I felt chills and pity for his character all at the same time. And hello, Fides Cuyugan Ascencio in Nino gave the best performance last year!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2661 on: Jun 15, 2012 at 03:26 PM »
I saw Ang Sayaw... And I wadn't impressed. Much prefer Nino. And paulo avelino as best actor? No. Give it to the guy in Amok. I felt chills and pity for his character all at the same time. And hello, Fides Cuyugan Ascencio in Nino gave the best performance last year!

I concur....the ensemble cast of AMOK deserves a standing ovation for their great performance. No left over!

Had to see NINO first, but yes, was not impressed with SAYAW NG DALAWANG KALIWANG PAA.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2012 at 03:30 PM by keating »

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2662 on: Jun 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM »
Ok, just saw Kimmy Dora 2 and it's so disappointing. Not funny at all

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2663 on: Jun 17, 2012 at 01:09 PM »
I concur....the ensemble cast of AMOK deserves a standing ovation for their great performance. No left over!

Had to see NINO first, but yes, was not impressed with SAYAW NG DALAWANG KALIWANG PAA.

I saw part of the Urian awards last night. Turns out everyone in the cast of Amok was nominated for supporting actor, even Dido De La Paz, who should have been nominated ofr Best Actor since he was the one who went amok. He could give lessons to "winner" Paolo Avelino who acted the same in Sayaw as he did in his soap opera or in Jerrold Tarog's Aswang. Parang patay ang mata. Really, Urian people? Even JM de Guzman and Kean Cipriano were nominated for Best Actor for Babae sa Septic Tank?!? I'd even choose Martin Escudero for Zombadings over Paolo Avelino's dull performance.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2664 on: Jun 17, 2012 at 07:42 PM »
Many were surprised by Sayaw's sweep of the major awards. I myself am wondering why Fides Cuyugan didn't win Best Actress. Maja Salvador? I was never impressed by any of her performances on TV or film. Paolo Avelino is more wooden than Aljur Abrenica (no pun intended) at least the latter played Machete  ;D And Jean Garcia winning Best Supporting Actress over Shamaine Buencamino in Nino is unbelievable. I'm so disappointed with this year's turnout, it's like 2004 all over again...
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2012 at 07:43 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2665 on: Jun 18, 2012 at 07:53 PM »
What happened with their choices? Amok is a better film than Sayaw....

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2666 on: Jun 19, 2012 at 01:07 AM »
Sayaw was shown in a local Filmfest here but I missed it.  Saw Captive instead.  Nino is excellent.  The whole cast is superb, even the kid who played Nino.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2667 on: Jun 19, 2012 at 07:57 PM »
I really don't know how the Manunuris took notice of Avelino's ham acting on that film, and the other guy, what's his name, sorry I forgot.....they just kept on glancing with each other.  ;D

Mind-boggling!
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2012 at 08:04 PM by keating »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2668 on: Jun 30, 2012 at 05:11 PM »
Teaser trailer for Erik Matti's Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles:

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/06/a-family-beseiged-by-monsters-in-ultra-stylish-teaser-for-erik-mattis-tiktik-the-aswang-chronicles.php

What's interesting to note is that this is the first Filipino movie shot entirely on green screen. Will it look cool or will it suck? ;D

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2669 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 03:31 PM »
Kudos to Star Cinema for releasing two versions of Vilma Santos‘ much-anticipated first-ever suspense-horror film titled “The Healing”. I hope PIONEER FILMS and VIVA FILMS will follow Star Cinema's lead, rather than butchering a film.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2012 at 03:32 PM by geckoph »