Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500329 times)

Offline rse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2700 on: Feb 01, 2013 at 01:34 AM »
Guni-guni is horror gone wrong - messy, confused & cramped with scenes from every horror movies ever made.  Lovie Poe is lovely though.

The new feature-length version of Pridyider, doesn't improve the original, it just bloats it.  Although Andi Eigenmann shines in it. Watch the Bernal version instead.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2013 at 03:41 AM by rse »

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 477
« Reply #2701 on: Feb 01, 2013 at 05:37 PM »
Looking at the trailer pa lang of Pridyider I kinda thought it was OA with the tentacles.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2702 on: Mar 08, 2013 at 07:31 AM »
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2013 at 07:32 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2703 on: Mar 09, 2013 at 01:10 PM »
These are whole films, Jojo?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2704 on: Mar 09, 2013 at 07:02 PM »
Absolutely Noel!  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2705 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM »
Like!

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #2706 on: Mar 23, 2013 at 09:57 PM »
Aparisyon (Apparition) (Vincent Sandoval) **** - An exquisitely directed and acted Filipino independent film about nuns in a convent during the early '70s, just before Marcos declared martial law. The film is almost shot like a slow-burn horror film in a way and I can see the heavy influence of Black Narcissus which is probably the best nun movie ever made and I must say, *this* film is within striking distance of that which is, for me, VERY high praise. Yet another Filipino filmmaker to watch out for. It goes to show that Philippine cinema is still vibrant in the independent scene.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+429)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1254
« Reply #2707 on: Apr 02, 2013 at 09:05 AM »
Trailer for Erik Matti's crime drama, "On The Job":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt37VFLyc-M

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2708 on: Apr 08, 2013 at 10:20 AM »
Hi jojo de vera, what happened to your sarisaring... Tumblr? Only one movie was left.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2709 on: Apr 09, 2013 at 12:25 AM »
Bought Erik Matti's Rigodon on DVD.  The transfer is excellent, the movie though is not that good.  Very poor performances, so-so story, with touches of the ridiculous.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2710 on: Apr 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM »
Just saw Peque Gallaga's Seduction on DVD.  It's better than Agaton and Mindy but that's not saying much. Its plot is convoluted, the acting, terrible & it oozes pretentiousness. I don't know it the the DVD is cut, but it doesn't really have any full on sex scenes.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #2712 on: Apr 19, 2013 at 02:32 PM »
Aparisyon (Apparition) (Vincent Sandoval) **** - An exquisitely directed and acted Filipino independent film about nuns in a convent during the early '70s, just before Marcos declared martial law. The film is almost shot like a slow-burn horror film in a way and I can see the heavy influence of Black Narcissus which is probably the best nun movie ever made and I must say, *this* film is within striking distance of that which is, for me, VERY high praise. Yet another Filipino filmmaker to watch out for. It goes to show that Philippine cinema is still vibrant in the independent scene.

Will it be commercially available?

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2713 on: Apr 19, 2013 at 03:01 PM »
Will it be commercially available?

Aparisyon already had it's theatrical run last month. Not sure if they will release it on DVD.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2013 at 03:02 PM by jas »

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2715 on: Apr 22, 2013 at 01:54 AM »
Warning:  This review might contain spoilers.

Thy Womb.  It's nice to see Nora doing what she does best. The rest of the cast, even the nonprofessional actors were also very effective, except for Lovi Poe which I think was miscast (too young, too pretty).  It would have been better if she's swapped roles with Mercedes Cabral.  The movie tend to meander too much & some scenes just go on forever, but the exotic location & culture help keep one's interest. It's also distracting that the main cast were speaking Tagalog while the rest of the locals were speaking the local dialect.  It takes away from the realism that it tries to achieve.  Also, I don't know if it needs to show an explicit birthing scene twice.  It would have been more effective if it was saved until the very end. Showing it twice made it lose its power to shock which I think is the intended effect than anything. A couple of scenes involving a cow leave a bad taste in one's mouth.  I like the abrupt ending; it jolts you and leaves you unease.

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2716 on: Apr 22, 2013 at 02:37 PM »
what i didn't get was how the poor couple was able to come up with was 200,000 pesos from selling their boat and the banig mats? They could have gone to the mainland and adopted a baby with that money and the parents wouldn't even be able to find them if they decide to take the child back.
I didn't like the ending because a lot of the times the movie was sooooo slow and then when bembol is about to marry , it's like the film suddenly rushes to the delivery then- the end.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2717 on: Apr 23, 2013 at 01:32 AM »
Mario O'Hara's Uhaw sa Pagibig (Thirst for Love, 1984)

and

Beware: Bed Sins (1985)

Part of Jojo De Vera's weeklong retrospective of all things O'Hara

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2718 on: Apr 23, 2013 at 02:31 AM »
what i didn't get was how the poor couple was able to come up with was 200,000 pesos from selling their boat and the banig mats? They could have gone to the mainland and adopted a baby with that money and the parents wouldn't even be able to find them if they decide to take the child back.
I didn't like the ending because a lot of the times the movie was sooooo slow and then when bembol is about to marry , it's like the film suddenly rushes to the delivery then- the end.

I think it's only 150K.  In any case, it was also from borrowing money & donations from the village.  Yes, it's a stretch but I was willing to suspend my disbelief on that, but my biggest question is that, yes, they have managed to come up with the money, how are they going to repay their debtors then afterwards?

I think that the husband is against the idea of an adoption.  He wants a kid of his own.  I suspect that the real reason is that he just wants a second wife.  I'm not familiar with the Muslim customs, but isn't it that one is allowed to have more than one wife if a man can support them?  It's pretty obvious that he can't.

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #2719 on: Apr 23, 2013 at 08:01 PM »
Warning:  This review might contain spoilers.

Thy Womb.  It's nice to see Nora doing what she does best. The rest of the cast, even the nonprofessional actors were also very effective, except for Lovi Poe which I think was miscast (too young, too pretty).  It would have been better if she's swapped roles with Mercedes Cabral.  The movie tend to meander too much & some scenes just go on forever, but the exotic location & culture help keep one's interest. It's also distracting that the main cast were speaking Tagalog while the rest of the locals were speaking the local dialect.  It takes away from the realism that it tries to achieve.  Also, I don't know if it needs to show an explicit birthing scene twice.  It would have been more effective if it was saved until the very end. Showing it twice made it lose its power to shock which I think is the intended effect than anything. A couple of scenes involving a cow leave a bad taste in one's mouth.  I like the abrupt ending; it jolts you and leaves you unease.

A typical Brilliante Mendoza film...too many vignettes, intertwined local situations, unstructured story line....the saving grace is Ms. Aunor's excellent portrayal and the idyllic scenes where the movie was shot.   

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2720 on: May 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM »
Aparisyon already had it's theatrical run last month. Not sure if they will release it on DVD.

APARISYON is already available on DVD.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2721 on: May 31, 2013 at 01:33 PM »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2722 on: Jun 14, 2013 at 01:22 AM »
RPG Metanoia. Finally, a well-made animated movie from the Philippines! Visually generic & not quite original, even preachy at times, but it has enough nice touches to make it worth your time. Gamers will love this

A Moment in Time  This is probably one of the worst Star Cinema movies that I've seen in a while.  And it's Rated B?
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2013 at 01:24 AM by rse »

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2723 on: Jun 14, 2013 at 12:22 PM »
I'm not a gamer but i loved RPG Metanoia. The daing na bangus sealed it for me. :) the only thing i didn't like is the voice of zaijan, who was chosen because he was popular. He's too young. Bulol pa magsalita when he's supposed to be a 5th or 6th grader.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2724 on: Jun 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM »
APARISYON is already available on DVD.

Is there a local DVD release? I searched for this in my nearby Odyssey & Astro stores, but without success....

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2725 on: Jun 16, 2013 at 08:14 AM »
First Teaser For Ato Bautista's MGA ALAALA NG TAG-ULAN (MEMORIES OF RAIN):

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/06/watch-the-first-teaser-for-ato-bautistas-memories-of-rain.html

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2726 on: Jun 20, 2013 at 08:35 AM »
The 36th Gawad Urian Awards 2013 Winners:

Best Film - Ang Paglalakbay ng mga Bituin sa Dilim ng Gabi
Best Director - Adolfo Alix (Mater Dolorosa)
Best Screenplay - Mes De Guzman (Diablo)
Best Actor - Jericho Rosales (Alagwa)
Best Actress - Nora Aunor (Thy Womb)
Best Supporting Actor - Art Acuña (Posas)
Supporting Actress - Alessandra de Rossi (Mater Dolorosa)
Production Design - Dante Mendoza (Thy Womb)
Cinematography - Whammy Alcazaren (Colossal)
Editing - Aleks Castañeda (Kalayaan)
Music - Diwa de Leon (Baybayin)
Best Sound - Willy Fernandez, Bong Sungcang, Ferdinand Marcos Sabarongis (Florentina Hubaldo, CTE)
Best Documentary - Harana (Benito Bautista)
Best Short Film - Ritmo (Remton Siega Zuasola)
Natatanging Gawad Urian - Mila del Sol

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2727 on: Jul 07, 2013 at 05:26 PM »
Just saw the Richard -Marian rivera movie "My Lady Boss" --promising premise of a rich guy forced to take an ordinary job and work under a terror middle management boss. but the story /script was horrible. It's like they didn't care about the details. Too bad Jade Castro directing and Marian' s comic acting couldn't save this movie. Benjie Paras was very funny. He should be given more work!

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2728 on: Jul 16, 2013 at 02:19 AM »
It Takes A Man And A Woman.  It's possibly the most annoying Pinoy movie I've seen this year & easily the worst of the series. For fans only.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #2729 on: Jul 16, 2013 at 05:44 AM »
Has anyone seen Ekstra?  Would it be worth lining up at the cinemas to watch?