Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 499972 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2730 on: Aug 09, 2013 at 08:19 PM »
Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag (Lino Brocka) **** - I actually saw this film in college years ago. Enough time has passed that I feel that I have to actually review this film. This is of course one of the Philippines' most famous films (it's the only Filipino film in the 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die book) and widely regarded as one of the best Filipino films ever made. It's not QUITE my favorite but it's in my Top 10. The version I saw is a brand-new fully restored print (made possible in part by Martin Scorsese) and it was BEAUTIFUL to look at. So much better than the scratchy, somewhat blurry VHS we had to make do in my college class. For those of you who don't know the plot, it's about a young man from the rural areas who comes to capital city of Manila to look for and win back his childhood sweetheart. It's a tragic love story which brings to light the many struggles of the less fortunate in  my country which sadly is still prevalent to this day. It's got great performances. It might be a little heavy-handed and preachy but that's to be expected but the filmmaking is still impeccable. It's a must-see for all Filipinos and for all lovers of cinema as well.

Offline deweyfinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2731 on: Aug 10, 2013 at 08:49 PM »
Aside from OTJ, another ray of hope for the Filipino film industry maybe:

Kung Fu Divas!!!

Saw the trailer for the upcoming Ai Ai delas Alas-Marian Rivera starrer...had to double-check to make sure I wasn't watching a HK or Korean film by mistake

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 477
« Reply #2732 on: Aug 22, 2013 at 09:51 PM »
^yup, ganda nga ng green screen effects. Sana story din maganda.
Meanwhile, anybody see Ang Huling Henya , starring rufa mae quinto? It's directed by the director af ang babae sa septic tank, daw.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2733 on: Sep 05, 2013 at 09:59 PM »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2734 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 02:12 AM »
The Guerrilla is a Poet (Sari Dalena/Kiri Dalena) *** - This is a film about the Philippines' most famous communist, Jose Maria Sison. It's part documentary, part narrative film with real footage and actual interviews with the real life participants including Sison himself cut into a full narrative film. The result is always interesting if not always completely successful. Despite the great performances from the re-enactments, I found myself preferring to listen to the real life accounts directly from the horses' mouth. Overall, still  a compelling, interesting film worth watching.

*NOTE: I got injured watching this movie at Shangri-La Mall. At one point in the film,  I had to go to the bathroom. I was making my way down the steps when I neglected to see one last step and I tripped. I used both arms to break my fall and I hurt my left elbow. It wasn't so bad at first. I finished the film and even went to see Rush in Greenbelt. By the time I got out of that movie, the pain was really intense. I went to the emergency room. Thank God nothing was broken. It was a bone contusion i.e. a bruise. But it's still painful and I'm typing this with one hand. LOL.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 477
« Reply #2735 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 03:18 PM »
^yikes! for the love of cinema naman yan! take care!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2738 on: Oct 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM »
Lauriana (Mel Chionglo) *** - It's the early 1950's and a young orphaned boy befriends a soldier stationed in his hometown. The soldier takes a dance hall girl, the title character, as a lover and the three become a sort of surrogate family until the soldier's dark, craped up past starts manifesting itself. This film was written by my mentor, Ricky Lee, so I'm being fair to it. It's very well-acted and very well-made though ultimately kind of flawed and kind of anti-climactic. There's a great film somewhere in there and it seems to be headed that way but it dropped the ball in the third act. Overall, still worth a look.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2739 on: Oct 27, 2013 at 08:03 PM »
Mentor? A seminar or was he a professor?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2740 on: Oct 28, 2013 at 03:09 AM »
Mentor? A seminar or was he a professor?

I workshopped under him. And I visit his house quite frequently to borrow DVD's. He knows me. I consider him a friend. Very nice man.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2741 on: Oct 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM »
I heard. He's very nice about that.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2742 on: Nov 09, 2013 at 11:44 PM »
Sapi (Possession) (Brillante Mendoza) **1/2 - I'm a fan of director Brillante Mendoza's work so when I heard he's made a horror film, I got interested (well, he already sort of did with Kinatay). This one is about two competing TV networks each trying to make a story of demonic possessions in order to boost ratings. And the reporters and cameramen involved start getting strange visions. This movie is kind of strange. It seems that it's trying to satirize the Philippines' TV network wars and the exploitive nature of mass media while someone is trying to butt in trying to make it into a horror film. The combination just didn't quite gel and results in neither one being completely satisfactory. There potentially interesting ideas and visuals but all in all, it's Mendoza's weakest work to date.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2743 on: Nov 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM »

Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Na Kayon Ngayon? (Eddie Romero) ***1/2 - The title is roughly translated as "This Is How It Was Then, What's It Like Today?" It's about poor Filipino country boy whose mom just passed away and being a bit of a dumbass, he accidentally burns down his house. And so begins his journey. One thing that surprised me about this film is that it is a COMEDY. Well, at least it starts out as a comedy but slowly becomes more and more serious as it goes along without you noticing. It's a very Filipino film from the get-go, very Filipiniana. However, the structure is kind of Fellini-esque in a way. Sometimes I find myself thinking, had Fellini been Filipino, it would probably be like this. Overall, it's an imperfect film (a bit overlong) but its message is still shockingly relevant today and imparts it without being preachy.

Ang Alamat ni China Doll (The Legend of China Doll) (Adolfo Alix Jr.) *** - I often complain films being too long. Though seldom do I complain about them being too short. Well, this is one of those times. Presented in a non-linear structure, the film is about a young woman who is a criminal turned state witness with the code name "China Doll" and engaged in a bizarre, sick triangle between an ambitious journalist and her police handler. The script is by Lav Diaz, director known for his very, very long films (9 to 11 hours long). I don't know if the director clipped the script but the film is 90 minutes long and I feel we only got a very fleeting glimpse of what really should have been a 2.5 hour (at least) epic to fully explore the many intricacies that this film only merely touched upon.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2744 on: Nov 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM »
Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Na Kayon Ngayon? (Eddie Romero) ***1/2 - The title is roughly translated as "This Is How It Was Then, What's It Like Today?" It's about poor Filipino country boy whose mom just passed away and being a bit of a dumbass, he accidentally burns down his house. And so begins his journey. One thing that surprised me about this film is that it is a COMEDY. Well, at least it starts out as a comedy but slowly becomes more and more serious as it goes along without you noticing. It's a very Filipino film from the get-go, very Filipiniana. However, the structure is kind of Fellini-esque in a way. Sometimes I find myself thinking, had Fellini been Filipino, it would probably be like this. Overall, it's an imperfect film (a bit overlong) but its message is still shockingly relevant today and imparts it without being preachy.

How was the restoration?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2745 on: Nov 19, 2013 at 08:36 PM »
How was the restoration?

Gorgeous!

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2746 on: Dec 23, 2013 at 10:21 PM »
Ang Turkey Man Ay Pabo Din (Randolph Longjas) *** - The title roughly translates to "A Turkey Is Still a Turkey". Who knew that there would be such a thing as a Filipino Thanksgiving comedy? Well, here it is. This one is about the love story between an American man and his Filipina fiancee whom he met online. The film skewers culture clash and Filipino habits, beliefs and idiosyncracies that would seem weird to outsiders. The result is often quite but I wish they had gotten a real professional actor to play the American. I found his acting is amateurish at best. One could argue that it adds to his charm but I found it jarring. Still, a better comedy than most mainstream Filipino comedies.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2747 on: Dec 24, 2013 at 08:14 PM »
Saw some MMFF New Wave films today.

Dukit (Armando Lao) *** - This is a unique biopic since the actual guy plays himself! (In fact, several people in his life play themselves). This tells the story of Waldo Tayug, a man who made a name for himself for his beautiful religious themed wood carvings. He makes those statues we see in churches. The film follows his story from childhood to present day but jumping back and forth in between time periods (and at times it's a bit confusing). Brillante Mendoza co-produced this film and directed by his script collaborator Armando Lao and Mendoza's docu-drama style shines through this one. It's imperfect but when it works, it works.

Ang Anino ng Kahapon (Shadows of the Past) (Alvin Yapan) ***1/2 - After her husband leaves to work abroad, a woman starts to exhibit symptoms of schizophrenia. This is from one of the Philippines' most promising indie directors, Alvin Yapan. I will definitely say that this is a far better cinematic depiction of schizophrenia than, say, A Beautiful Mind. I'm surprised by the terrific performance of Agot Isidro. Before now, I've never thought of her as that much of an actress but she was great. This one gets a very high recommendation from me. 

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2748 on: Dec 26, 2013 at 07:12 AM »
Bakit di ka crush ng crush mo? Not a fan of Joyce Bernal, but this one's quite watchable mainly because of the actors. The script had promise but needed some work, i.e., a little less Star Cinema more Ramon Bautista.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2749 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 08:39 PM »
10,000 Hours. Technically polished & the acting is generally good.  The action sequences are a bit clunky though & it's all surface.  Also, it doesn't feel like a Pinoy film. It plays more like a generic B grade Hollywood political action thriller. Also, it's a bit preachy in places & the twist in the end kind of ruins it for me.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2751 on: Jan 07, 2014 at 10:35 AM »
Saw the new Kimi Dora.  It's the best of the series.  I guess the change in the director is a plus.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2752 on: Jan 10, 2014 at 12:46 AM »
Lino Brocka streaming on Netflix

Streaming on Netflix (with subtitles): three of the best Filipino films I know. Two will stop streaming come Jan. 15. One--Insiang--is in my opinion Brocka's masterpiece.

My thoughts on Insiang (warning: plot and ending discussed in close detail)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2753 on: Jan 17, 2014 at 02:42 AM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2756 on: Jan 25, 2014 at 02:16 AM »
Ekstra. Jeffrey Jeturian directs Vilma's first indie movie.  Interesting look at a days work of a bit player.  Good, but missing something to be memorable.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2014 at 02:16 AM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2757 on: Jan 26, 2014 at 03:53 AM »
Aw face it, rse--you're a Noranian!

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2758 on: Jan 26, 2014 at 01:24 PM »
Aw face it, rse--you're a Noranian!

I like them both in their own unique ways.  Although I must say that Nora's latest works are much better than Vilma's.  I just saw the trailer for Dementia and it looks promising.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked: