Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 498202 times)

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #600 on: Jul 12, 2004 at 09:11 AM »
It sure is.

Maybe Without Seeing the Dawn has a good supporting role for her.

i think Katherine Luna will be doing the movie...  i wouldn't want to see Nora Aunor in a supporting role. it's probably a different project altogether.

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #601 on: Jul 12, 2004 at 01:12 PM »
Palagay ko "HOCLOBAN" (La Loba Negra) nga itong project na ino-offer ni Mario to Boyet and Ms. Nora. The role of the sorceress is perfect for her while the object of her hatred and affection, (si Gen. Bustamante ba yon, Noel?) will suit Boyet just fine, although I would have preferred Ronaldo Valdez or Michael de Mesa in that role. The role of Nora's son would be nice for Ian de Leon, or Jericho Rosales, or Romnick Sarmenta. 

Miscast sina Ms. Nora at Boyet  for either "Without Seeing The Dawn." In "Hanggang Dito Na Lamang...," hindi din babagay si Boyet doon kasi yong character ng lalaki  is supposed to be a younger than the gay lover (which would be Ms. Nora's role).

Myke

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #602 on: Jul 12, 2004 at 08:38 PM »
Palagay ko "HOCLOBAN" (La Loba Negra) nga itong project na ino-offer ni Mario to Boyet and Ms. Nora. The role of the sorceress is perfect for her while the object of her hatred and affection, (si Gen. Bustamante ba yon, Noel?) will suit Boyet just fine, although I would have preferred Ronaldo Valdez or Michael de Mesa in that role. The role of Nora's son would be nice for Ian de Leon, or Jericho Rosales, or Romnick Sarmenta. 

Miscast sina Ms. Nora at Boyet  for either "Without Seeing The Dawn." In "Hanggang Dito Na Lamang...," hindi din babagay si Boyet doon kasi yong character ng lalaki  is supposed to be a younger than the gay lover (which would be Ms. Nora's role).

Myke

all i know is that Ate Guy really wants to make a movie for the festival. whatever project might that be it sure be great to see her re-team again with Mario O'Hara. what's ironic is if this ever pushes through this will be a reunion of sorts for the three of them. the first & last time they all worked together was in Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos. it's really something to look forward to.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2004 at 08:40 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #603 on: Jul 15, 2004 at 12:37 PM »
Got this from Yehey...

Festival of restored Pinoy films kicks off tomorrow
Date: 7/13/2004 9:45:50 AM
Source: Business World

National Artist for film Eddie Romero's 1966 movie Passionate Strangers will open a festival of restored Filipino films on July 14, 7 p.m. at the Cine Adarna of the UP Film Institute (formerly UP Film Center), after the opening ceremony with Mr. Romero as guest of honor.

Restored Filipino films dating back as far as the pre-war years will be screened in Ukay-Ukay: Where's The Archive: A Festival of Restored Filipino Films Classics on July 14-18 at the UP Film Institute and on July 21-25 at the Cultural Center of the Philippines.

The festival is presented by the Society of Film Archivists (SOFIA) in cooperation with the CCP, UP Film Institute and the NCCA. SOFIA is a non-stock nonprofit organization of archiving professionals dedicated to conserving the country's cinematic heritage.

The festival will feature 17 films and will be highlighted by the premiere of two of the latest restoration efforts of SOFIA, Passionate Strangers and Banta ng Kahapon, both directed by National Artist Eddie Romero. The festival will also feature exhibits and lecture discussions on relevant themes. On July 21 at the CCP, Sining Taktakan, the CCP's monthly forum on media, culture and art, will tackle film archival issues. The topic for discussion will be "Making Torotot on Classics: Do Filipinos have zero archival consciousness and little sense of cinematic history?"

Passionate strangers

Set in a sugar plantation town in the South, Passionate Strangers is an intense tale about love, infidelity, politics, and murder. It tells of how an accidental crime of passion is turned into an arena for political intrigue and exploitation as it examines the volatile Filipino-American relationship. The film's performers were American actors Mike Parsons and Violeta Noland, Mario Montenegro, Celia Rodriguez, Vic Diaz and Butz Aquino. The film won best director and supporting actress honors to Romero and Rodriguez, respectively, at the 1966 Famas Awards.

Another Romero film, Banta ng Kahapon, will close the festival on July 25, 7:30 p.m. at the CCP Tanghalang Aurelio Tolentino. The 1977 film is set against the backdrop of the 1969 Congressional elections, a political milieu dominated by guns, goons, and gold; and gives a realistic depiction of contemporary Philippine political scene. It stars Vic Vargas, Roland Dantes, Bembol Roco and Chanda Romero and won the Gawad Urian for best editing.

Other restored film included in the festival are the four films from Sampaguita Pictures: Jack & Jill (1954, Dolphy, Lolita Rodriguez and Rogelio de la Rosa, directed by Mar S. Torres), MN (1954, Carmen Rosales, Cesar Ramirez, Alicia Vergel and Oscar Moreno, directed by Mar S. Torres), Dalagang Ilokana (1954, Gloria Romero, Ric Rodrigo and Dolphy, directed by Olive La Torre), and Maalaala Mo Kaya (1954, Carmen Rosales and Rogelio de la Rosa, directed by Mar S. Torres); three films from LVN including its first production the 1939 film Giliw Ko (Fernando Poe and Mila del Sol, directed by Octavio Silos), Biyaya ng Lupa (Tony Santos and Rosa Rosal, directed by Manuel Silos) and Malvarosa (1958, Charito Solis and Leroy Salvador directed by Gregorio Fernandez): Premiere's Sanda Wong (1955), directed by Gerardo de Leon; Lino Brocka's Ano ang Kulay ng White Slavery (1984, Jaclyn Jose, Sarsi Emmanuelle and Emily Loren); Ishmael Bernal's debut Pagdating sa Dulo (1971, Rita Gomez and Vic Vargas); and Chat Gallardo's Seksing-Seksi (1959, Aura Aurea and Leopoldo Salcedo).

The festival schedule (UP Film Institute): July 15 Maalaala Mo Kaya (3 p.m.), Seksing-Seksi (6 p.m.); July 16 Dalagang llokana (3 p.m.), Ano ang Kulay ng Mukha ng Diyos (6 p.m.); July 17 Jack & Jill (2 p.m.), MN (4 p.m.), White Slavery (7 p.m.); July 18 Sanda Wong (3 p.m.), Pagdating sa Dulo (6 p.m.). At the CCP: July 21 Jack & Jill (2 p.m.), Seksing-Seksi (7 p.m.); July 22 Giliw Ko (4 p.m.), Biyaya ng Lupa (7 p.m.); July 23 MN (4 p.m.), Passionate Strangers (7 p.m.); July 24 Naalala Mo Kaya (1:30 p.m.), Malvarosa (4 p.m.), Pagdating sa Dulo (7 p.m.); July 25 Dalagang Ilokana (4 p.m.), Banta ng Kahapon (7 p.m.).

For details call the CCP Media Arts Division at 832-1125 local 1704 or the UP Film Institute at 926-3640.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #604 on: Jul 15, 2004 at 02:38 PM »
It was bound to happen.

Our favorite showbiz couple, Carlo J. Caparas and Dona Villa, is keen on doing a Angelo de la Cruz biopic! God save us! ;D

Online Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #605 on: Jul 17, 2004 at 07:31 AM »
RESTORED FILIPINO FILM FESTIVAL

Link is good until Thursday night next week:

http://www.bworld.com.ph/weekender/cinema/review1.html

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #606 on: Jul 23, 2004 at 04:57 PM »
Biyaya sa Lupa was a simple, straight forward, no-frills type of film. Quite nice, actually, despite some long dead scenes. Fine performances from Rosa Rosal and Tony Santos. I loved the bucolic atmosphere too.
And the director, Manuel Silos, showed a surprisingly good level of proficiency with his well framed shots.

The print, by the way, was newly restored by LVN from a copy from the CCP archive. However, some scenes were brighter, cleaner and clearer than the rest.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #607 on: Jul 27, 2004 at 07:19 PM »
It will be indeed miracle and manna from heaven if SOFIA will unearth the master print of Trixia Gomez' Elektrika which for me is the most surreal and weird Filipino superhero of all time... :)

This was shown on channel 13 during my elementary days over & over again.... ;D

and the villain is very cool...Chanda Romero handling that mirror... ;D

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #608 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 06:26 AM »
what i would really love to see is Supergirl with Pinky Montilla... talk about over the top fantasy movies. i vividly remember Odette Khan playing a mad scientist with Enrico Villa playing her sidekick. she then creates a giant bull frog that wreaks havoc in their small village killing Nick Romano, Mildred Ortega and Ike Lozada and of course who could forget Walter Navarro and Djoanna Garcia playing zombies.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #609 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 08:08 AM »
what i would really love to see is Supergirl with Pinky Montilla... talk about over the top fantasy movies. i vividly remember Odette Khan playing a mad scientist with Enrico Villa playing her sidekick. she then creates a giant bull frog that wreaks havoc in their small village killing Nick Romano, Mildred Ortega and Ike Lozada and of course who could forget Walter Navarro and Djoanna Garcia playing zombies.  ;D

speaking of that movie...Odette Khan those piercing eyes.... manage to make you chill everytime you see it... ;D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #610 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 01:09 PM »
 i just caught mario j.'s forgotten epic masterpiece: hindi mo ako kayang tapakan.

Oh, the lavish production design! the ensamble cast! the powehouse performances! (check-out charo santos as dona anastacia vda. de tuason! gina alajar as her daughter!) the riveting plot twists! the masterful direction!

the film btw, was produced by VH films, owned by joey marquez' sister via hoffman who also gave us kaya kong abutin ang langit.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #611 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 01:42 PM »
i just caught mario j.'s forgotten epic masterpiece: hindi mo ako kayang tapakan.

Oh, the lavish production design! the ensamble cast! the powehouse performances! (check-out charo santos as dona anastacia vda. de tuason! gina alajar as her daughter!) the riveting plot twists! the masterful direction!

the film btw, was produced by VH films, owned by joey marquez' sister via hoffman who also gave us kaya kong abutin ang langit.

It's one of Maryo's best flicks, powered by riveting performances from the entire cast headed by Charo Santos.

Check out the funeral scene where she throw lots of money to her grandchildren who were responsible for killing her. And the killer was the legendary Anna Marie Gutierrez.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 01:43 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #612 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 02:04 PM »
er, i was being sarcastic... ::)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #613 on: Aug 06, 2004 at 06:51 PM »
Mauro Gia Samonte ???

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Looking for Batang Westside DVD, VCD or even VHS copy
« Reply #614 on: Sep 11, 2004 at 12:58 AM »
Hi, Des anyone of you know where I can get a hold of a copy of Batang Westside?  Thanks in advance.....

Online Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #615 on: Sep 11, 2004 at 09:49 AM »
Good luck. The producer is sitting on the print and doesn't want to seem to do anything with it.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #616 on: Oct 27, 2004 at 05:33 PM »
I was able to catch an interview with Charo Santos that was conducted by the CCP Media Arts department. She started off by recounting her childhood days in Mindoro. " Noong bata ako, dinadala ako ng tatay ko sa sinehan pag-Sabado. I don't know how it is now pero double feature pa nun... I was shocked. How the heck can't she know how theaters and cinemas work now when she is a top executive of ABS-CBN and the leading film production outfit in the country, Star Cinema???

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #617 on: Nov 05, 2004 at 04:42 PM »
Watching the dead: Philippine cinema and global recognition
THE OUTSIDER By Erwin Romulo
The Philippine STAR 11/05/2004 

Don’t resurrect the dead.

It’s the English translation of the title of an awful Filipino film released in the 1980s that involves Satanists, mad doctors and ghastly makeup (the latter the only real horror in the movie). Yet it seems pertinent – and admittedly a bit flippant – to introduce any discussion on Philippine Cinema and global recognition. Golden Ages have come and gone: their brightest stars either dead or forgotten, perhaps both. The films themselves are rotting away in bureaucratic hells that stink of vinegar or lining the paper trumpets children blow on New Year to ward off evil spirits. If we are to believe our own critics, the final nail was hammered in long ago and almost no one from the international community even bothered to send their condolences.

Yet films are still being made: the entertainment industry continues to thrive despite an ailing economy. But with issues of piracy and competition from big-budget Hollywood extravaganzas, most producers are content to indulge in cannibalism and necrophilia: peddling the same material over and over with only some new effects thrown in as a sign of growth. It’s not unlike tribesman parading the dead because the corpse’s hair and nails continue to grow.

It’s a sad fact given that, according to film scholar Antonio D. Sison, that Filipinos were watching films a "mere two years after the invention of the cinematographe by the Lumiere brothers in 1895." Sadder still because at its best local movies have proven to be of superior quality and have won accolades in international competitions.

As early as 1937, productions such as Zamboanga directed by Eduardo de Castro and starring Fernando Poe Sr. and Rosa del Rosario were praised by no less than Frank Capra, director of American classics such as Mr. Deeds Goes to Washington and It’s a Wonderful Life. Quoted by Arsenio Bautista in an essay, Capra was reported to have said: "It’s the most exciting and beautiful picture of native life I’ve ever seen." Bautista is also quick to point out that Hollywood was so impressed by Manuel Conde’s film Ghengis Khan – screened at the Venice Film Festival in 1952 alongside Akira Kurosawa’s Rashomon – that it remade the film and cast the Duke himself, John Wayne, in the title role. After the war, films like LVN Pictures’ Anak Dalita and Badjao both directed by National Artist for Film Lamberto Avellana garnered awards at the Asian Film Festivals. Another National Artist, Gerardo de Leon, made films such as The Moises Padilla Story, adaptations of Jose Rizal’s Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo and 48 Oras, which had the Cahiers du Cinema hailing the director as a "master." (If independent filmmaker Cesar Hernando is to be believed, Walter Hill’s own 48 Hours borrows heavily from De Leon’s film, particularly in its opening.)

In the 1970s, after the collapse of the studio system and the declaration of martial law, there came a spate of films that heralded a local nouvelle vague or a new Golden Age (let’s leave it to the critics to decide which). Amidst the bomba and fighting fish inserts of the times, local audiences were watching Lino Brocka’s Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang. Scathing in its indictment of Philippine society, the film was not only a critical favorite but also a top-grosser. Not since Rizal’s books had Filipinos flocked to a work of art to be chastised by.

For many film historians abroad (or rather programmers of Asian retrospectives and showcases), Brocka is the key – and perhaps only – name. Proof of this can be found by looking at cineaste bibles such as Ephraim Katz’s Film Encyclopedia, which has no entry on Philippine cinema whatsoever – only a hundred words or so on Brocka. His film Maynila, Sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag is the only Filipino film to be included in the British Film Institutes list for the greatest films in the first century of cinema.

But in 1974, however, he greeted everyone with a primal scream: Tinimbang opens with one of the most harrowing abortion scenes ever exposed to celluloid. The film’s story is as shocking.

It follows the story through the eyes of a young man (Christopher de Leon) who befriends the town leper (Mario O’ Hara) who is having an affair with the town idiot (Lolita Rodriguez). She becomes pregnant causing a scandal that raises the furor of the town-folk. Ultimately, it is exposed that the youth’s father (Eddie Garcia) was the father of the unfortunate’s aborted child, driving her insane.

The film is considered a landmark not because it was the best film of the period. Rather, it fulfilled the promise of a great talent that had finally found his voice. Two years later, more would cry out.

Critics agree that 1976 was a watershed year, far from halcyon but fruitful nonetheless. Films like Ishmael Bernal’s Nunal sa Tubig and Mike de Leon’s Itim graced cinema screens and employed a more impressionistic palette than in the past to create a cinema of mood rather than of bombast. Both educated abroad, Bernal and de Leon made films that were European in influence but essentially Filipino in content. With Brocka, they form the trinity of Philippine cinema that emerged from the 1970’s.

Not that the films were always box-office successes. A year after Tinimbang, Brocka’s Maynila was released and it flopped. Produced and photographed by Mike de Leon, it was even bolder than its predecessor: mixing documentary realism with film noir lighting, naturalistic acting with evocative music to devastating effect. It was Brocka widening his canvas to go beyond the small town of his previous effort to the belly of Manila itself. It has been recognized more abroad, having a successful run in Paris.

Bernal’s Nunal sa Tubig fared better but was far from being a hit. That was good enough for a film that confounded even Bernal’s admirers.

De Leon’s Itim was a commercial failure – an inauspicious start for one of Philippine cinema’s undisputed but elusive masters. Scion of LVN Pictures, he grew up with cinema. Principally interested in photography, he soon felt confident to direct after his experience on Maynila. Often compared to filmmakers such as Stanley Kubrick and Michelangelo Antonioni, his first film was likened to the low-budget Val Newton-produced horror films of Jacques Tourneur by the foreign press when it did the festival circuit. Ignored at home, it won the Best Picture prize at the Asian Awards of that year.

In 1977, independent film-making was also making its presence felt abroad when an unknown Eric de Guia won the International Critic’s Prize in the Berlin Film Festival as Kidlat Tahimik. The film was called Mababangong Bangungot and continues to be screened abroad.

As the 1980s rolled in, political unrest was escalating, reaching a peak with the assassination of Sen. Benigno Aquino in 1983. Perhaps sensitive to climate, filmmakers were spurred to make films that continued to provoke a strong reaction both in the Philippines and abroad. With Insiang in 1976, Brocka became an international celebrity, showing other films like Jaguar and Bona to wide acclaim in festivals most notably the prestigious Cannes Film festival. During the 80s, he was Philippine cinema to the world at large, a role he ably played by directing films like Bayan Ko, Kapit sa Patalim.

According to some pundits, though, it was De Leon who made a milestone in Cannes history by being the first director to have two films showing at the Director’s Fortnight at the same time ever. Those two films, Kisapmata and Batch 81, were both flops on initial release in the Philippines.

After the People Power revolution in 1986, the world had its eyes on the Philippines. Time Magazine declared the new president Corazon Aquino Woman of the Year. The economy was picking up and foreign watchers trained their eye towards the country. With all this attention and expectation, observed film archivist Jo Atienza, the best the local film industry could offer were puerile comedies like Pido Dida (that incidentally starred Aquino’s youngest daughter).

Again, it’s independent cinema that picks up the thread that leads toward the 1990s. In 1983, a Fine Arts student at the University of the Philippines named Raymond Red makes a first stab at filmmaking by directing a short called Ang Magpakailanman on super 8mm. Inspired by the works of Fritz Lang and the German Expressionists, he would make further shorts like Ang Hikab (1984), Mistula (1985) and A Sketch for the Skies that were well received abroad and would secure his reputation as the best Filipino short film director. In Pearlie Rose S. Baluyot’s short biography of the director, she says that even Brocka himself and British film critic Tony Rayns praised Red’s talent. Rayns going so far as to say that Red was "a talent on a Wellesian scale".

Red debuted his first feature-length motion picture Bayani at the 1992 Berlin Festival’s Forum of Young Cinema. According to Baluyot, it was televised on German television a month later and competed at the Tokyo Film Festival. It earned favorable reviews both here and abroad. His follow-up Sakay based on the Filipino revolutionary was met with mixed response.

After winning the Hubert Bals award at the 1993 Rotterdam Film Festival to develop the screenplay for his third feature Makapili, Red started to work extensively in advertising. As journalist Lourd de Veyra has said: "Jumping from the independent cinema raft to the advertising cruise liner was a financial decision." Unable to find financing for his projects, Red returned to short film making with Anino, which would eventually win the Palm D’ Or at the 53rd Cannes International Film Festival.

Pito-pito was the term used to describe low budget films churned out by the commercial film outfits like Regal Films. Not unlike the B-movies of Roger Corman that gave young upstarts like Joe Dante and Francis Ford Coppola their break, the pito-pito films in the 1990s ushered in new talents like Jeffrey Jeturian, Rico Maria Ilarde and Lav Diaz. All three would make waves abroad to some degree but no hoopla akin to a beauty titlist’s clinching second runner-up in the Miss Universe contest. * * *
Don’t resurrect the dead.

Yet the Philippine cinema is showing signs of life, faint but nonetheless growing louder. Diaz’s five-hour drama Batang Westside is considered the first Filipino masterpiece of the 21st century and has festivals buzzing with excitement for his next – even longer – film Ebolusyon. Red’s older brother Jon Red has made worthwhile films like Still Lives and Astig, the latter winning the Silver DV award at the Hong Kong International Film Festival. Both films have not enjoyed a wide-commercial run in the Philippines.

Brocka and Bernal are dead; De Leon produced, co-wrote and directed the only Jose Rizal film of note so far Bayaning Third World to critical acclaim here and abroad – it flopped on commercial release.

Up until now, Red’s planned third feature Makapili has not started production.

In the 21st century, new filmmakers have sprung up most notably from music video world like Lyle Sacris and Quark Henares. Both released critically lauded works in 2003 but did poorly at the box-office. (As of writing, Henares’ romantic comedy Keka received the audience award at the 2004 Los Angeles Pan Asian film festival.)

Perhaps the most genuine form of foreign recognition for Philippine cinema can be found not in Europe but in a small theatre in present-time Virginia. Here Americans pay $10 to watch old Niño Mulach and Ramon Revilla films. With buckets of buttered popcorn and beer in plastic cups, they howl with delight at the inane special effects as well as the ham acting. It looks like they’re having a ball.

And why not?

"What’s a resur-rection without a few laughs anyway?" * * *

Thank you to Jo Atienza for her insightful comments and Alexis Tioseco for putting much older film critics to shame.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #618 on: Nov 05, 2004 at 09:01 PM »
That was such an insightful article RMN. Is the film industry really dead or just waiting to be resurrected again and again?

Online Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #619 on: Nov 06, 2004 at 12:09 PM »
Pretty good.

Minor complaint: Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos was the other significant 1976 film, y'know (along with Minsa'y Isang Gamu-Gamo, come to think of it), and where's Celso Ad. Castillo? But yeah, pretty good.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #620 on: Nov 07, 2004 at 12:46 PM »
Pretty good.

Minor complaint: Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos was the other significant 1976 film, y'know (along with Minsa'y Isang Gamu-Gamo, come to think of it), and where's Celso Ad. Castillo? But yeah, pretty good.

i guess Insiang was most remembered because it was exhibited at the Director's Fortnight of the Cannes Film Festival. but i agree Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos & Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo were among the best of 1976 along with Ganito Kami Noon...

Online Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #621 on: Nov 07, 2004 at 02:16 PM »
I forget about Ganito.

Well, confession: I don't really like Ganito and Minsa'y. They mean well, and their message is exemplary, but I can't really consider them very good films. Also happen to think Nunal is overrated (tho much, much better than Marilou's remake--Sa Pusod ng Dagat).

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #622 on: Nov 18, 2004 at 05:02 PM »
What was Celso Ad Castillo smoking when he wrote the script of, and directed Tag Ulan sa Tag Araw?  ;D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #623 on: Nov 19, 2004 at 05:36 PM »
Mario O'Hara has two films lined-up for production next year:

Sumakay tayo sa buwan (?) to be written by Lualhati Bautista and hopefully starring Nora
Without Seeing the Dawn starring Robin Padilla

Hocloban he's been trying to buy out from the producer that owns it but to no avail.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2004 at 05:45 PM by RMN »

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Dr r days wn i'd rathr blog dan masturb8!
  • Liked:
« Reply #624 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 10:06 AM »
 I thought erwin romulo is a credible writer, then he mentioned henares and sacris as critically acclaimed(gamitan,keka and first time?pucha!)? and citing rico ilarde alongside lav and jeffrey as successful products of pito-pito. excuse me. ricol ilarde who?

Is this anothe case of 'ill lick your ass and you'll  lick mine later?'.

Geez!
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2004 at 10:08 AM by edsa77 »

Online Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #625 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 02:01 PM »
What was Celso Ad Castillo smoking when he wrote the script of, and directed Tag Ulan sa Tag Araw?  ;D

Lemme see--is this the Dina Gary romance, or the incest movie with Vilma and Boyet?

Either way, well, storytelling was never his strong suit (cocaine, I suspect ;D). It's the filmmaking that's so beautiful.

Online Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #626 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 02:04 PM »
Mario O'Hara has two films lined-up for production next year:

Sumakay tayo sa buwan (?) to be written by Lualhati Bautista and hopefully starring Nora
Without Seeing the Dawn starring Robin Padilla

Hocloban he's been trying to buy out from the producer that owns it but to no avail.

Coolness. I can see Padilla as the star of Without Seeing the Dawn.

Hocloban--not Tony, is it?
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2004 at 02:10 PM by Noel_Vera »

Online Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #627 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 02:13 PM »
ricol ilarde who?

He's got talent (check out his first feature, Z Man), even if he only chooses to concentrate on the horror genre; I prefer him visually to the flashier young punks (Erik Matti, lanaras whatsisname). His main weakness is his scripts, which are mainly written by Andrew Paredes. Give him a real writer (Bing Lao, or Lav Diaz), and I predict he will shine.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #628 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 09:17 PM »

Lemme see--is this the Dina Gary romance, or the incest movie with Vilma and Boyet?

Either way, well, storytelling was never his strong suit (cocaine, I suspect ;D). It's the filmmaking that's so beautiful.

It's the latter. :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #629 on: Feb 01, 2005 at 08:06 AM »
I just saw Lino Brocka's PALIPAT-LIPAT, PAPALIT-PALIT. Dina Bonnevie and Christopher de Leon are excellent as a couple trying to save their relationship. I thought I was watching a Bernal flick with those witty lines thrown in!

And perhaps the movie created the most sympathetic gay character in Philippine cinema played by Mark Gil as the best friend of Dina Bonnevie.

I wonder how Eddie Garcia will fare in the upcoming Gallaga flick....PINOY BLONDE?  ???
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2005 at 08:14 AM by keating »