Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 498230 times)

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #690 on: Apr 18, 2005 at 01:21 PM »
Emailed the site. Waiting for reply. :D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #691 on: Apr 18, 2005 at 01:25 PM »
i had the rare privilege of viewing clips from two filipino films that have hitherto been considered lost: the first darna produced and directed by fernando po sr. and a costume drama by gerry de leon. both works have been stored in an archive in bangkok, thailand.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #692 on: Apr 18, 2005 at 01:49 PM »
i had the rare privilege of viewing clips from two filipino films that have hitherto been considered lost: the first darna produced and directed by fernando po sr. and a costume drama by gerry de leon. both works have been stored in an archive in bangkok, thailand.

SOFIA should rescue these two films if not get the masterprint of these two rare lost masterpieces of Philippine cinema.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #693 on: Apr 19, 2005 at 01:25 PM »
SOFIA should rescue these two films if not get the masterprint of these two rare lost masterpieces of Philippine cinema.

Not to worry. These two films, on 16mm, are in good shape and hands and will surely be brought home.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #694 on: Apr 19, 2005 at 01:31 PM »
Which costumed drama by Gerry de Leon?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #695 on: Apr 19, 2005 at 07:19 PM »
Not to worry. These two films, on 16mm, are in good shape and hands and will surely be brought home.

That's great man......... :)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #696 on: Apr 20, 2005 at 07:00 PM »
Which costumed drama by Gerry de Leon?

The title escapes me but it has banga in the title. If you look at it, you'd think it was by Manuel Conde.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #697 on: Apr 20, 2005 at 11:50 PM »
Banga ni Zimadar. Sounds like a fantasy. Sounds interesting.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #698 on: Apr 21, 2005 at 04:50 PM »
PRESS RELEASE/SCREENING ALERT
UP Film Institute marks 2nd anniversary with restored version of “Ibong
Adarna

The UP Film Institute celebrates its second anniversary with the
premiere of the restored version of LVN Pictures’ 1941 classic, “Ibong Adarna” on
Thursday, 28 April 2005, at 6 p.m.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #699 on: May 03, 2005 at 08:19 AM »
Gerardo de Leon has an article (by Village Voice's Mark Holcomb) up in Senses of Cinema's Great Director list...

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/05/de_leon.html
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005 at 08:20 AM by oggsmoggs »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #700 on: May 03, 2005 at 04:08 AM »
Ha--focuses on his exploitation films, of course (they're the only ones available).

But it's a good piece on those films, even if it does leave out Blood of the Vampires (Okay, correction--he calls it Creatures of Evil. But the film's original title is supposed to be Dugo ng Vampira, not Ibulong Mo Sa Hangin, which is a different film. Unless imdb is wrong, which wouldn't be the first time). And I thought the one most significant contribution De Leon makes to Moreau lore with Terror is a Man is the suggestion, however subtle, that the creature is capable of love, and of acts of kindness. That wasn't in Welles' book.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005 at 05:06 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #701 on: May 07, 2005 at 01:24 AM »
Unfortunately, the Manila edition won't be pushing through.

But--I'm hoping to interest the publishers in another project.

And the book is still available for ordering here:

http://www.bigomagazine.com/theshop/books/NVcritic.html

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #702 on: May 07, 2005 at 03:22 PM »
Actor Romy Diaz declared brain dead

Posted 07:51am (Mla time) May 07, 2005
By Marinel Cruz
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A4 of the May 7, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

CHARACTER actor Romy Diaz, who was diagnosed with tongue cancer in 2004, was declared brain dead at the National Kidney Institute on Tuesday afternoon.

His daughter-in-law said he had choked on a piece of meat.

According to Frida Diaz, the 64-year-old actor—among the late Fernando Poe Jr.'s "favorite" onscreen tormentors—is still hooked to a life support system.

Romy, last seen in the film "Bertud ng Putik" (2003),was to have been discharged from the hospital that day, Frida told the Inquirer in a phone interview yesterday. He had been confined since January, and was being fed through a tube at the time.

"But he still insisted on having soup once in a while," Frida said. On Tuesday, a piece of meat in the soup lodged in his throat. "The doctor took it out with a suction machine."

Except for his brain, Romy's heart and other vital organs are still functioning, according to his oncologist, Leo Marbella.

Romy's brother, character actor Paquito, also suffered  a stroke in October and underwent surgery to remove a blood clot in the brain. Paquito has been confined at the Asian Hospital in Muntinlupa for three months now.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #703 on: May 07, 2005 at 06:39 PM »
Damned shame.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
"CRITIC AFTER DARK" IN MANILA!
« Reply #704 on: May 07, 2005 at 07:22 PM »
Lav Diaz has spotted copies on display at the Datelines Bookshop and Old Pop--two great arthouses at the Marikina Shoe Expo in Cubao, Quezon City.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: "CRITIC AFTER DARK" IN MANILA!
« Reply #705 on: May 08, 2005 at 12:31 PM »
Lav Diaz has spotted copies on display at the Datelines Bookshop and Old Pop--two great arthouses at the Marikina Shoe Expo in Cubao, Quezon City.

Limited only in stocks Noel, on those bookshops? Will it be available on Powerbooks also?  ??? :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #706 on: May 09, 2005 at 12:54 AM »
Powerbooks?

I wish!

I say: go to Cubao while you can. It's the new IT place, a burgeoning center for arts and culture, according to Lav and Tino Tejeros (correction: Tejeros says Marikina and not its shoe expo is the new center for arts). And while you're there, there's a hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant with terrible service and fantastic food that might make your visit worthwhile...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005 at 05:57 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Critic After Dark
« Reply #707 on: May 09, 2005 at 06:06 AM »
Noel, who picked the cover picture?  I’m surprised that it’s not an O’ Hara movie.  Does it include a review of Orapronobis?  Selling thru Ebay might be a good idea to reach more buyers.  Or do you have an exclusive distribution deal with the Singaporean distributors?  A signed copy would be nice.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005 at 06:08 AM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #708 on: May 09, 2005 at 07:06 AM »
I'd love to have put an O'Hara still on the cover, but there aren't that many stills of O'Hara movies, and they ain't that good; also, Orapronobis is better known. I don't know about ebay--I'll ask them what they think. As for signed copies, I'm willing to sign if you're willing to mail em to me.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #709 on: May 09, 2005 at 05:33 PM »
Powerbooks?

I wish!

I say: go to Cubao while you can. It's the new IT place, a burgeoning center for arts and culture, according to Lav and Tino Tejeros. And while you're there, there's a hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant with terrible service and fantastic food that might make your visit worthwhile...

I'll go there Noel,  this week. I do hope there are still stocks of your book in that bookshop. BTW is that bookshop part of Gateway Mall?

And besides Go Nuts has opened their outlet there.  ;D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #710 on: May 10, 2005 at 05:53 PM »
took a quick trip to Datelines Bookstore in Shoe Expo and saw two copies of Noel's book going for 600 bucks. Go get them before they're gone.

and whilst your there, why not drop-by Bellini's, an Italian resto; Vintage Pop, a store selling cool retro items; Black Soup Project, a photo gallery cum wine shop that currently has on display pics by filmmakers; and the other new establishments in the area under the banner of Cubao X.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #711 on: May 14, 2005 at 04:26 PM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #712 on: May 15, 2005 at 05:24 PM »

Ang Lagusan - Gina Marissa Tagasa

I've been very excited for the burgeoning Filipino independent film industry, that I would always find myself watching almost every movie that comes out from the movement blindly. The latest that I've seen is Gina Marissa Tagasa's Ang Lagusan (The Tunnel). The film is about Joel (Cris Villanueva), a seaman who find himself in a docked cargo ship, with only a bag full of clothes, a photograph of a young girl, a one hundred peso bill, an address written on the other side of a note, and a child's prayer. Joel doesn't remember anything though, thus, he finds himself in Lagusan Street, the address provided in the note, and there he meets a handful of characters including Ason, his abortionist mother, Noni, the neighborhood drug pusher, Kado, the directionless youth, and a mysterious stranger who seems to have a knack for riddles and semi-prophecies. I learned that Tagasa is a scriptwriter for television soap operas and her roots are very evident in the film. Her directorial decisions mostly lead to a very television-like approach to every scenes - the blockings are uncinematic, the musical cues are all too heavy and predictable, even the acting is reminiscent of the television lauded style of acting which mostly includes a fistful of bawling and a tiny drop of actual inspiration. As I've said, I had no knowledge of the film or its director when I came in to watch. I had high hopes since the poster advertises that the producers have made a previous film which won accolades in international film festivals. The film begins, quite promisingly - infusing right amounts of low budget campiness, film-noirish mystery, and Filipino-style allusions. As characters are introduces and the mysteries are slowly unraveling, the film gets unnervingly preachy - that type of preachiness that is offputting because it tries so hard to be subtle but comes off as shamelessly obvious. In the end, we are entreated to scenes of humanly impossible metanoia, an explanation of the film's parable-like thematics, a dose of over-the-top acting and worse, a rather uninspired music video of a Christian song. There are scenes in the film revolving around some Korean evangelists giving out food rations to any of the impoverished citizens of Lagusan who would spend time to listen to their bible teachings. After the end credits rolled, I felt so shortchanged that I did not receive any food rations from the director and the producers of the film who shamelessly fed me with all these preachy religious stuff I was not in the mood for. I felt so shortchanged by having to pay well-earned money to watch this cheap reenactment of how faith can save you, that I thought about robbing a bank, burning down the mall, and slaughtering innocent bystanders. Pardon my histrionics, but the film did more good than bad, I believe. 1/2/*****

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #713 on: May 25, 2005 at 12:25 PM »
Mrs. Pilar Ortiz Brocka, Lino's mom, just passed away at the age of  94. She was laid to rest last Monday.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #714 on: May 25, 2005 at 12:49 PM »
Mrs. Pilar Ortiz Brocka, Lino's mom, just passed away at the age of  94. She was laid to rest last Monday.

I remember meeting her, in UP Film Center I think. She was on a wheelchair. That's all I remember, unfortunately--I don't remember talking to her (I think I said something and she just stared at me), and I never got a sense of what she was like.

Judging from the son, tho, she must have been an amazing woman...

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #715 on: May 26, 2005 at 04:51 PM »
Wow, Noel, your book is selling like bibingka back here.
When I bought one for a friend last Saturday in Cubao, there were only two copies left.  The lady I spoke to said that it has been flying off the shelves ever since Lav Diaz brought over copies.
While I don't agree with you 100% (hence my hesistation to get a copy), I must say congrats just the same.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005 at 04:06 PM by RMN »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #716 on: May 26, 2005 at 09:54 PM »
I just saw Marilou Diaz Abaya's MILAGROS last night. I have mixed reactions in this film although Sharmaine Arnaiz is a competent actress, can hold among the thespians pitted against her.

But I saw there the mourning and eulogy of Marilou after the loss of Ishmael Bernal who told her back in 1987 that she can't do it........very depressing, quiet film.

The final scene.......what was that? MILAGROS had to go to Mt. Banahaw to meet her spiritual fate?  ???

The film ask questions that have no definite answers in females points of view.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005 at 10:11 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #717 on: May 26, 2005 at 10:12 PM »
Wow, Noel, your book is selling like bibingkas back here.
When I bought one for a friend last Saturday in Cubao, there were only two copies left.  The lady I spoke to sisd that it has been flying of the shelves ever since Lav Diaz brought over copies.
While I don't agree with you 100% (hence my hesistation to get a copy), I must say congrats just the same.

Holy freak--I better tell Philip to ship over more copies.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #718 on: May 31, 2005 at 11:59 AM »
From pinoyexchange.com:

parisstpatrick: Laurice Guillen, to me, is more of a miss than a hit. "Tanging Yaman" is overrated and so is "Ipagpatawad Mo". Yuck!

Her best work is "Salome". Hanep sa husay. Akala ko, ganoong klase ang gagawing mga trabaho ni Laurice, iyon pala puro pang-komiks. Yuck!

Guillen isn't consistent, but she's done first-rate work (go see Kasal, or Init sa Magdamag). Which is more than I can say about some of the directors listed here.

parisstpatrick: Napanood ko naman ang "Kasal" (i.e. sakal?). Mediocre or average lang siya. It is not a cinematic gem like "Salome" kaya puwede mo nang ibaon sa limot. Siguro, it is always a question of taste.

Para sa akin, wala namang nagawang mahusay na pelikula si Guillen maliban sa "Salome". Puro pang-komiks ang pelikula niya. Kulang sa lalim, hindi ka na mag-iisip pa. Pero suwerte ang hitad pagdating sa award. Kahit ang mga pelikula niya are all bordering between mediocre and average, nananalo ng award. "Ipagpatawad Mo" is one very lousy film that raked awards. Gusto mo tuloy i-question kung gaano kataas (or kababa) ang standard ng mga jurors sa 'Pinas. Pero paano mo iki-question ang credibility and standard ng award-giving bodies sa 'Pinas gayong alam naman natin na ang irregularities and anomalies are rampant (a la Comelec, hehehe) sa mga award-award na ito that almost all award giving bodies stink so badly.

Guillen, to me, is not even inconsistent. She is consistently bad. All her films, except "Salome", are lousy.

Surely you jest. It's in the genre of marriage movies like Savoca's True Love, and its characterization is subtler than most Filipino movies--than most Hollywood movies, actually, thanks to a script by Mario O'Hara. You should watch it again.

I still haven't heard from you regarding Init sa Magdamag.

Ipagpatawad Mo--agreed, she's done many clunkers; I don't really count best director trophies, or trophies of any kind (politics lang lahat yan). But I think a filmmaker can do bad work, can do mostly bad work, can be doing mostly bad work recently, and if she has done one worthwhile film, I can't call her bad. A filmmaker that can do Init, Kasal, and Salome I can't call bad at all--Brocka should have that kind of understanding of female sexuality.

You're probably thinking of some other woman filmmaker, with no feeling for eroticism or sensuality in any of her films. ;D

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #719 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 07:07 AM »
you know what Noel? this parristpatrick person is trying so hard to be a film critic. he's quick on giving comments about certain films & it's directors but he hasn't seen any of the movies. i like Laurice Guillen as a filmmaker. you're right, i just watched Salome & Init Sa Magdamag back to back recently and i believe that Init is a far better movie than Salome, it's also less pretentious. i also loved Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo. i think Itanong Mo Sa Buwan is a far better film than Salome, but that's another story...

Init also boasts of  Lorna Tolentino's best performance ever. even better than Maging Akin Ka Lamang and Narito Ang Puso Ko. a solid script by Raquel Villavicencio and moody cinematography by Romy Vitug. i loved the opening scene, remember it Noel?
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2005 at 07:08 AM by Jojo Devera »