Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500232 times)

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #840 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 11:55 AM »
Problem is that scriptwriters don't seem to take the effort to research other jobs; they just take what they know already, which is the ad campaign, the pitch towards corporate sponsors, onset struggles and infighting, etc.

And they never get the nuances right.

True, Pinoy movies set in ad agencies are lima singko, but I don't think I've seen one that feels like it was written by someone who's actually worked in one.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #841 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 02:24 PM »
that's laziness om their part. theyve almost all workd in one.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #842 on: Jan 20, 2006 at 08:27 AM »

Offline Itbayat

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #843 on: Jan 22, 2006 at 02:56 PM »
Do you have idea what Filipino film(s) will be shown in Rotterdam?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #844 on: Jan 23, 2006 at 01:03 AM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #845 on: Jan 23, 2006 at 02:44 AM »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #846 on: Jan 30, 2006 at 01:21 AM »
New info from Cine Filipino website. Shipping date for the following movies - Jan 31, 2006

Source:  http://www.cinefilipino.com/default.asp
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2006 at 01:24 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #847 on: Jan 30, 2006 at 01:27 AM »
And Noel Vera, a Mario O'Hara movie, also shipping Jan 31  :)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #848 on: Jan 30, 2006 at 07:14 AM »
hopefully i'll be receiving my copies this week... can't wait to watch these digitally remastered classic films. i have Karnal, Manila By Night, Cain At Abel & Ina Kapatid Anak on original vhs tapes but i'm also buying the dvd's so i get to watch them in hi-def...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #849 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 01:01 PM »
Manila By Night is tremendous news (if it's clear, and subtitles would be nice); same with the others. Not too crazy about Karnal.

Fatima Buen I've mixed feelings about. That's wonderful ensemble acting (Regala unleashed, Legaspi unvarnished, Pareno and de Belen at their best), and great gothic filmmaking, but the lead role...I know it's her best ever, but it's barely adequate. It's like Ophul's Lola Montes.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #850 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 01:27 PM »
If its the same print that they smuggled to Berlin Film Festival (Manila By Night) that would be great without the ridiculous narrations at the finale. Those denizens of the night deserve a second visit. 
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2006 at 01:28 PM by keating »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #852 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 12:03 AM »
I just came back from vacation in Manila.  I took the opportunity to buy your book Critic After Dark at Datelines Cubao.  I didn’t know where the bookstore was so it took time for us to find it.  It was the last copy.  I also saw the book in CCP bookstore.  There were plenty of copies available there albeit priced a little bit more expensive than Datelines.

When I was in Manila I was able to catch Blue Moon (Joel Lamangan).  The movie has potential but was ruined by Joel Lamangan's execution.  Actingwise the guy who played the young Eddie Garcia is nonexistent.  There were a few laughable attempt to use CGI.

I also bought a few Filipino DVDs and VCDs, I will post my thoughts on them once I've gone through them.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #853 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 03:56 PM »
When did you buy the book at Datelines? Far as I know, they sent 70 copies to Datelines back during Cinemanila in Manila time...

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #855 on: Feb 04, 2006 at 04:15 PM »
When did you buy the book at Datelines? Far as I know, they sent 70 copies to Datelines back during Cinemanila in Manila time...

I bought the book 2nd week of January.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #856 on: Feb 04, 2006 at 04:24 PM »
Hm. So Datelines sold out 70 copies? That's interesting news...  :o

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #857 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 12:31 PM »
I am shocked to realize that Manuel Conde hasn't yet been named National Artist for film, with Eddie Romero getting the award first.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #858 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 12:19 PM »
My mistake, incidentaly; Datelines only got fifty copies...

Yeah, between Conde and Romero...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #859 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 12:23 PM »
Mike de Leon also is long overdue. I've said this again and again.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #860 on: Feb 10, 2006 at 05:30 AM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #861 on: Feb 10, 2006 at 08:06 AM »
Noel, your review of O'Hara's PANGARAP NG PUSO gave me insights to watch the film. I'll try to look for the vcd copy. I haven't seen one here in Manila. It seems to be very rare.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #862 on: Feb 10, 2006 at 08:40 AM »
It's available online, in the USA.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #863 on: Feb 12, 2006 at 10:21 AM »
i just saw Kung Kaya Mo, Kaya Ko Rin (Agrix Films, 1978) the film, directed by George Rowe & written by Rowe & Emmanuel H. Borlaza was Marlene Dauden's comback movie, her last being Siya'y Umalis. Siya'y Dumating (1975.) in the film she plays a socialite married to a rich businessman (Eddie Garcia) with two children (real life siblings Mark & Cherie Gil.) unhappy with her married life she gets infatuated with a young painter (Christopher de Leon) she helped him become a famous painter by purchasing all of his paintings & introducing him & his art to her rich & famous friends. she ultimately falls in love with him after an aftrenoon tryst until she discovered that his girlfriend is the foreigner model who's also her husband's mistress. unable to accept the fact that Christopher doesn't really love her she becomes more obsessed and starts stalking him ala Fatal Attraction. she attempted to commit suicide by slashing both her wrist (Glenn Close anyone?) in his apartment. she goes completely insane and spoiler alert!!! kills his girlfriend and ultimately took her madness with Christopher in a intensely staged shoot out in an abandoned warehouse. the script had its problems but it was saved from complete disaster by Marlene Dauden's effective portrayal. it's her performance which dominates the entire film. the situations given to Dauden in the movie were unbelievable and ridiculous at times but Dauden, a real actress in the true sense of the word was able to inject truthfulness into her character. undoubtedly, Dauden was one of the most underrated actresses of her time. Kung Kaya Mo, Kaya Ko Rin was released nine years before Adrian Lyne's Fatal Attraction. could James Dearden, Fatal's scriptwriter might have had the chance to see this film? probably not but director George Rowe did it first. one more thing worth mentioning, Mark Gil's tour de force performance as Dauden's gay son is worth a look. this was his very first gay role and Mark was terrific in this movie.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2006 at 10:24 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #864 on: Feb 12, 2006 at 12:35 PM »
Agrix Films under Sofronio Blando went bankrupt in the early 80's if I'm not mistaken. His daughter, was one of my cousin's closest friends in Provident Village in Marikina City. We don't know what happened na with their family.

They produced mostly commercial films during the 70's.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #865 on: Feb 12, 2006 at 12:40 PM »
Agrix Films under Sofronio Blando went bankrupt in the early 80's if I'm not mistaken. His daughter, was one of my cousin's closest friends in Provident Village in Marikina City. We don't know what happened na with their family.

They produced mostly commercial films during the 70's.

Sofronio Blando had a cameo appearance in Kung Kaya Mo Kaya Ko Rin as Dindo Fernando's boss.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #866 on: Feb 13, 2006 at 12:36 PM »
Eddie Romero on Mario O'Hara & Celso Ad Castillo

"Mario is one of the best we have around.......and of course, Celso is no longer the kid!"

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #867 on: Feb 15, 2006 at 12:51 PM »
GUMISING KA, MARUJA (Lino Brocka)

The great master filmmaker Lino Brocka directed two horror tv shows back in the 70's MALIKMATA & ANINO. His foray into the horror genre is the gothic love story GUMISING KA, MARUJA. Penned by Tony Perez who makes a living by hunting ghosts nowadays forming an organization called QUESTORS and also written Brocka's sexiest film, INIT. The result was a mixed up of some narrative flaws with impeccable production design of Mel Chionglo and outstanding cinematography by the late Conrado Baltazar and great haunting musical score by Ernani Cuenco.

The opening scene narrates the story of Maruja Isabel y Mira born 1872 in love with Gabriel a poor peasant but bethrothed by her elders to Rodrigo Velasquez, captain of the civil guard. She was reincarnated in the person of Nina Concepcion, actress & producer (Susan Roces). Most of the scenes take place in an old ancestral mansion house as Roces plans to shoot a film about the life of Maruja despite several warnings that the place was haunted. Her crew started to be missing one by one. Brocka's films are all character driven and he gets always fine performances from his leads particularly Roces when screaming and when she start to be possessed by the ghost of Maruja, Philip Salvador as Marco during the present times and Rodrigo during the past. Add some ensemble fine actors like Mario O'Hara, Laurice Guillen, Manny Ojeda & Mary Walter. The problem with Brocka is he doesn't resort to special effects thus, letting the ancestral mansion house stand by itself and it certainly succeeds! Is it scary, no! But there are a few moments when your spine is chilling just by peeping inside the house. What's missing here are morbid humors that you can find in Hitchcock thrillers but the music will continue to haunt you just like a Bernard Hermann score.

Pinoy horror movies were the main staple during the 70's, some are B-movies, but this one is a cut above the rest. Technically superior that will stand the test of time. I just wish that the master print is still in fine shape, or better remastered  so that future generations will still look up to it.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2006 at 01:12 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #868 on: Feb 16, 2006 at 01:25 PM »
Shown on ABC-5 the other day: In this Corner

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend