Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 498182 times)

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #870 on: Feb 18, 2006 at 11:08 AM »
just finished watching the digital film Ang Anak Ni Brocka by first time director Siegfried Barros-Sanchez. the film had an intersting premise, what if the late National Artist Lino Brocka had a son? this was the question that plagued the main characters in this fascinating first feature. the film of course was not perfect. Nonie Buencamino in the male lead did the best he could with his role even if his character wasn't entirely fleshed out. one could understand his dilemma but there wasn't enough scenes to sympathize with the plight of Tony, his character. the best scenes in the movie were the interviews with Brocka's friends and colleagues in showbiz. interestingly though some key characters in the movie were played by some of Brocka's regular stable of actors like Gina Alajar, Phillip Salvador, Bembol Roco & Jaclyn Jose. too bad they weren't able to include Hilda Koronel & Christopher de Leon but even without them the film stood on its own. one thing i noticed is the lack of footage from Lino's early films. although there were some clips from Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang, Insiang, Bona, Tatlo Dalawa Isa, Ang Tatay Kong Nanay, Ano Ang Kulay Ng Mukha Ng Diyos, Maynila Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag & Macho Dancer. still photos form Santiago, Wanted Perfect Mother & Stardoom were also included.  inspite of the poor quality of the videos shown in the movie, they still added life to the story. it would've had more impact if they included his other noteworthy films due to lack of resources or even copyright laws. that aside Ang Anak Ni Brocka still managed to keep my interest for almost three hours! did the film answer the question? does Lino Brocka have a son? you have to watch the movie to find out.
i remember when i would go the theaters to watch a Lino Brocka film and i always looked forward to seeing not just a movie with a social message but a film that had great acting in it. unfortunately the acting in this movie leaves so much to be desired, aside form Nonie Buencamino, nobody else really stood out. even Gina, Phillip, Bembol & Jaclyn who displayed such brilliance in Brocka movies didn't give the performances expected of them in this film. the film's most moving performance if i could call it one was the archived interview of William Lorenzo at the hospital after the accident. it was probably his best and surpasses even the ones he essayed on screen in the movies he did with Brocka. he was sincere and the emotions were real, it was affecting. nevertheless this movie still deserves to be seen not just by regular moviegoers but Filipino film enthusiasts as well. it saddened me when they asked 20 year olds if they knew who Lino Brocka was and most of them said no, what a pity. i think now is the perfect time for a Lino Brocka Film Retrospective.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2006 at 11:17 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #871 on: Feb 18, 2006 at 11:09 AM »
So Lino Brocka's IN DIS KORNER starring Vic Vargas still exists?  That's very good to know!

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #872 on: Feb 18, 2006 at 02:00 PM »
This is the only time that I was re-discovering the gems of the great Lino Brocka. Better late than never!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #873 on: Feb 18, 2006 at 11:56 PM »
This is the only time that I was re-discovering the gems of the great Lino Brocka. Better late than never!

luckily you have some of his films on video to savor over & over again...  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #874 on: Feb 19, 2006 at 12:57 PM »
luckily you have some of his films on video to savor over & over again...  ;D

Yeah, man. I will re-visit MAYNILA SA KUKO NG LIWANAG, INSIANG, BAYAN KO: KAPIT SA PATALIM & PX.  :)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #875 on: Feb 19, 2006 at 11:36 PM »
you have to post your thoughts on each of these films...

Offline marco_van

• Apprentice
  • a great filmmaker... someday.
  • Liked:
« Reply #876 on: Feb 20, 2006 at 11:50 AM »
Yeah, man. I will re-visit MAYNILA SA KUKO NG LIWANAG, INSIANG, BAYAN KO: KAPIT SA PATALIM & PX.  :)

hi keating, will it be ok if you make me a copy of maynila sa kuko? or upload it to the web for me to see...

and hello to all! it's my first time here, i got into filipino films when i heard that lino brocka's movies were
cannes festival material, now i wanted to see his movies with no luck. they don't have them in manila anymore (and the young clerks i asked in any video store doesn't seem to know lino brocka... just the old people and middle aged people i "interviewed" knew of the classic filipino films. it's sad).

so yes, i'm desperate to see even just one of the classics you guys already savored over these years.
thanks again :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #877 on: Feb 21, 2006 at 06:18 AM »
Pelikula at Lipunan will be showing many classics. Keep haunting this forum, and you'll find a sked.

Also, I believe Relasyon and Manila by Night are on dvd...?

Offline marco_van

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #878 on: Feb 21, 2006 at 08:16 AM »
Pelikula at Lipunan will be showing many classics. Keep haunting this forum, and you'll find a sked.

Also, I believe Relasyon and Manila by Night are on dvd...?

is that in the philippines? because i live all the way here in california :(

well i saw cain at abel in an online store.. i am planning to buy that when
i am not broke anymore :) that'll be the first lino brocka film i'll ever watch.

but the first really, realy good filipino film i ever saw was "anino" by
raymond red. it gives me the chills whenever i watch it.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #879 on: Feb 21, 2006 at 11:08 AM »
Check the threads here on what's out on DVD. Whatever's available is available online at kabayan central and or regal films' website. They'll have links too.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #880 on: Feb 21, 2006 at 07:27 PM »
This site seems to be the one selling those DVD's online:
http://www.cinefilipino.com/

I haven't tried ordering from them though.  I'm tempted to buy Manila By Night and Ina, Kapatid, Anak.

When I was in the Phils. last January, I was able to buy their old releases like Relasyon, etc. from Astrovison.
They claim that the DVD's are remastered but for Relasyon at least I can say that the transfer is so-so.

The new movies like La Visa Loca, Magnifico, etc., the transfers are great (Philippine standard).
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2006 at 07:28 PM by rse »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #881 on: Feb 21, 2006 at 10:33 PM »
hi keating, will it be ok if you make me a copy of maynila sa kuko? or upload it to the web for me to see...

and hello to all! it's my first time here, i got into filipino films when i heard that lino brocka's movies were
cannes festival material, now i wanted to see his movies with no luck. they don't have them in manila anymore (and the young clerks i asked in any video store doesn't seem to know lino brocka... just the old people and middle aged people i "interviewed" knew of the classic filipino films. it's sad).

so yes, i'm desperate to see even just one of the classics you guys already savored over these years.
thanks again :)

Welcome aboard, marco_van.

I live in Manila. As Noel suggested, you can try ordering from some online websites that sells Filipino films both classics and current. Good luck on your search. BTW, you can search for any rare video on www.wwvideos.com.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2006 at 10:38 PM by keating »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #882 on: Feb 23, 2006 at 11:51 PM »
just finished watching the digital film Ang Anak Ni Brocka by first time director Siegfried Barros-Sanchez. the film had an intersting premise, what if the late National Artist Lino Brocka had a son? this was the question that plagued the main characters in this fascinating first feature. the film of course was not perfect. Nonie Buencamino in the male lead did the best he could with his role even if his character wasn't entirely fleshed out. one could understand his dilemma but there wasn't enough scenes to sympathize with the plight of Tony, his character. the best scenes in the movie were the interviews with Brocka's friends and colleagues in showbiz. interestingly though some key characters in the movie were played by some of Brocka's regular stable of actors like Gina Alajar, Phillip Salvador, Bembol Roco & Jaclyn Jose. too bad they weren't able to include Hilda Koronel & Christopher de Leon but even without them the film stood on its own. one thing i noticed is the lack of footage from Lino's early films. although there were some clips from Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang, Insiang, Bona, Tatlo Dalawa Isa, Ang Tatay Kong Nanay, Ano Ang Kulay Ng Mukha Ng Diyos, Maynila Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag & Macho Dancer. still photos form Santiago, Wanted Perfect Mother & Stardoom were also included.  inspite of the poor quality of the videos shown in the movie, they still added life to the story. it would've had more impact if they included his other noteworthy films due to lack of resources or even copyright laws. that aside Ang Anak Ni Brocka still managed to keep my interest for almost three hours! did the film answer the question? does Lino Brocka have a son? you have to watch the movie to find out.
i remember when i would go the theaters to watch a Lino Brocka film and i always looked forward to seeing not just a movie with a social message but a film that had great acting in it. unfortunately the acting in this movie leaves so much to be desired, aside form Nonie Buencamino, nobody else really stood out. even Gina, Phillip, Bembol & Jaclyn who displayed such brilliance in Brocka movies didn't give the performances expected of them in this film. the film's most moving performance if i could call it one was the archived interview of William Lorenzo at the hospital after the accident. it was probably his best and surpasses even the ones he essayed on screen in the movies he did with Brocka. he was sincere and the emotions were real, it was affecting. nevertheless this movie still deserves to be seen not just by regular moviegoers but Filipino film enthusiasts as well. it saddened me when they asked 20 year olds if they knew who Lino Brocka was and most of them said no, what a pity. i think now is the perfect time for a Lino Brocka Film Retrospective.

I bought this one from Manila.  I've started with it, (it's three VCD's) and I'm in the middle of the second CD (I think).
My impression so far is that it's a great concept but poor execution.  It would have played better as a regular documentary instead of a mock docu.
I can't understand why they decided to use Gina Alajar as a fictional character instead of as a regular interviewee.  It could have been more interesting.  But I really love the segment where they showed footages of old Brocka films.  That gave me chills.  Let me finish the whole set and I will give another feedback later. 

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2006 at 11:52 PM by rse »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #883 on: Feb 24, 2006 at 01:53 PM »
TANIKALA  (Marilou Diaz-Abaya)

Now I know why this film sank into oblivion. It's not Abaya's fault but the material itself and the script by Edgardo M. Reyes. With a powerhouse cast headed by Susan Roces, Eddie Garcia, Romeo Vasquez & Rita Gomez, Abaya's first directorial debut has fine performances and boasts of outstanding cinematography and production design. This is not her cup of tea, but the feminist angst that she would master starts here in the person of Roces.

The first 20 minutes was quite engaging, after that it went nowhere. One must stand the slow narrative to know the mystery behind Roces character and how she experience the trauma that still haunts her. Abaya was able to rebound vigorously after this mess with the grim and realistic BRUTAL followed by her best film MORAL.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2006 at 01:59 PM by keating »

Offline marco_van

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #884 on: Feb 27, 2006 at 04:19 PM »
anyone please give me a quick review on brocka's cain at abel. a long review will be much appreciated.

Offline marco_van

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #885 on: Mar 01, 2006 at 07:28 PM »
i finally got some money and hoping to buy a very good filipino movie
that will not waste my money like it did in the past (and i am traumatized
about that). can u guys recommend me some good ones. i am the kind
of guy that read reviews and recommendations before viewing a movie.

thanks!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #886 on: Mar 05, 2006 at 05:46 PM »
TAKAW TUKSO (William Pascual)

This film raise the level of erotic genre in Philippine Cinema joining the ranks of (SCORPIO NIGHTS, BOATMAN, PRIVATE SHOW). Technically well-made, crisp editing, excellent production design and cinematography, cool music that jibes with the movie, plus great performances from the four leads (Jaclyn Jose, Ana Marie Gutierrez, Julio Diaz, Gino Antonio).

The milieu reminds me of a Wong Kar Wai film with a touch of Brocka that impressed me so well. Jaclyn Jose is a rarity in local cinema, her subtle, restraint performances in every movie is always a joy to watch for! She just glows everytime on the screen. In the confrontation scenes, Gutierrez also showed her depth nearly stealing the scene from the wonderful Jose, same with Diaz & Antonio. Four people are caught in the midst of passion and betrayal. The love scenes are well-executed, intense and heat are still present. Compelling, riveting and the tension between the four leads demands attention from start to finish.

Armando Lao's script is fresh and innovative, not exploitative that caters most to Pinoy erotic films from the 80's. When the four leads start to grope and hold each other's arms, the chemistry is so spontaneous that you forget that they were just acting on the screen.

I hope movies like this will return with a vengeance.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2006 at 09:10 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #887 on: Mar 06, 2006 at 03:52 PM »
My favorite, of course, is Init Sa Magdamag--erection-inducing erotic thriller, and not a shred of nudity.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #888 on: Mar 06, 2006 at 07:22 PM »
Jaclyn Jose and company seems to be enjoying each other's company in TAKAW TUKSO.  ;D What happened to William Pascual? The man can make good films.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006 at 07:24 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #889 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 02:44 AM »
When Takaw Tukso came out, everyone was surprised Pascual made a film that good. I think you should be looking at Armando Lao's script.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #890 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 02:54 AM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #891 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 04:15 AM »
When Takaw Tukso came out, everyone was surprised Pascual made a film that good. I think you should be looking at Armando Lao's script.

Yeah, I almost forgot Armando Lao. His track record is consistent. I like all his collaborations with Jeffrey Jeturian.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #892 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 06:41 AM »
His collaobrations with both Jeturian and Rono (La Vida Rosa) are pretty good. Right now, I like his work better than Ricky Lee's.

Lacaba, Lao, and Lee early in his career are pretty much what I'd consider writer-auteurs. Writers whose voices are are so strong they impose their mark on the film, not the director.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #893 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 11:45 AM »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #894 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 12:03 PM »
I liked La Vida Rosa. It has a tinge of noir in it. Been on my list of films that is on rotation in my player. Osang's a wonder in the movie.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #895 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 12:49 PM »
Everyone was a wonder in that movie, especially the kid and Osang. Besides Eskapo, I think it's one of his best works.

It was the only time Osang and I ever had a kind word for each other. ;D

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #896 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 01:03 PM »
I think of all the current male actors that came out of abs-cbn's oven, only diether ocampo has the capacity to act. The others, i think, are merely pretty faces with hollow talents.

hm, waddyathink of babae sa bintana? haven't seen it, but is it worth watching?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #897 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 03:25 PM »
It stinks on ice. Rono needs a good script to keep him honest.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #898 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 09:28 PM »
His collaobrations with both Jeturian and Rono (La Vida Rosa) are pretty good. Right now, I like his work better than Ricky Lee's.

Lacaba, Lao, and Lee early in his career are pretty much what I'd consider writer-auteurs. Writers whose voices are are so strong they impose their mark on the film, not the director.

Among these great writers, only Pete Lacaba didn't join the softcore bandwagon. Lee has the exploitative SILIP. Lao has the classic TAKAW TUKSO. But Pete has the great voice in the political arena.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #899 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 12:44 AM »
Among these great writers, only Pete Lacaba didn't join the softcore bandwagon. Lee has the exploitative SILIP. Lao has the classic TAKAW TUKSO. But Pete has the great voice in the political arena.

I think Pete Lacaba's more into narrative fiction that on screenplays.... I'd probably line him up with Edilberto Tiempo, Butch Dalisay, Greg Brilliantes, Nick Joaquin and F. Sionil Jose.