Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 498150 times)

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #900 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 08:11 AM »
Everyone was a wonder in that movie, especially the kid and Osang. Besides Eskapo, I think it's one of his best works.

It was the only time Osang and I ever had a kind word for each other. ;D

what do you think of Rono's early works like Private Show & Itanong Mo Sa Buwan?

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #901 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 12:49 PM »
Everyone was a wonder in that movie, especially the kid and Osang. Besides Eskapo, I think it's one of his best works.

It was the only time Osang and I ever had a kind word for each other. ;D

You didn't like her collaborations with Carlitos?

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #902 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 12:55 PM »
I would've said that too, bro. Pero knowing Noel, he probably has a perfect rebuttal to that hehe. ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #903 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 01:02 PM »
Guys, do you think Carlitos also raise the level of Philippine Cinema during the 90's? I really like his first directorial debut, MISIS MO MISIS KO.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2006 at 05:18 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #904 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 02:55 PM »
Misis Mo Misis Ko is that rare Carlitos film that actually made sense. Unfortunately, it was also kind of lifeless.

I like the crazy ones--Maricel getting raped, spat on, slapped by her father, fainting, and waking up with amnesia in Abot Kamay ang Pangarap (my favorite)--and all that in the first five minutes.

Then there was Osang in Ligaya ang Itawag Mo sa Akin, which is a takeoff on The Lady Without Camelias / Camille / La Traviata. Only in this movie the woman didn't die, so the whole story is pointless.

I love the whorehouse shot and lit like a Disneyland park ride. Kind of obvious he's never been to one in his life.

I also love Ang Lalaki sa Buhay ni Selya, with its memorable ending--Osang and Gardo wave a gun in Ricky Davao's face, threatening to take his son; Davao refuses. Gardo, who has a gun, gives up anyway, says they'll leave. Davao stops them, says the boy should be with his mother. Gardo grabs the boy and a suitcase, is about to leave, when Osang stops him and says he only loves her body, not her self (DUH). Gardo is left outside the gate, fuming, with the gun still in his hand.

All faultlessly shot and edited. Technically perfect.

I remember watching one of his films with a filmmaker (won't say who), and him saying "it's amazing--Carlitos has LIVE SOUND, and perfectly recorded." I replied "he obviously wants you to hear every word." He laughed his head off.

Yeah, I guess he's elevated Philippine cinema, only I'd say it was straight into the Twilight Zone.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #905 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 06:41 AM »
I just saw...

BOSO - Jon Red

Gratuitous nudity. Erratic camera shots. A lackluster attempt on digital moviemaking. Probably achieved nothing but another wave of exposure of Katya Santos' mammary glands. Took an obvious jab at Peque's Scorpio Nights without the tragic finale. Could've been much better if Epy is killed at the end. Constrained acting on the minor roles except for Epy's bearded kainuman and Epy himself. The redemption comes from the voice-over. Could say that Raymond Red is still better than his bro.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2006 at 06:42 AM by wedge »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #906 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 12:09 PM »
I just saw...

Could say that Raymond Red is still better than his bro.

Hear, hear.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #907 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 12:26 PM »
what do you think of Rono's early works like Private Show & Itanong Mo Sa Buwan?

On PERSONA last night, Jaclyn Jose speaks fondly of Rono's PRIVATE SHOW. I don't know why Rono had to change his name to Sixto Kayko for his first directorial debut.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #908 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 02:10 PM »

Only saw this now. Private Show was decently done, but it looked too much like a Boatman ripoff (Ricky Lee did uncredited work on Boatman). Itanong was also okay, but it didn't impress me somehow. Something off about it.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #909 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 07:41 PM »
On PERSONA last night, Jaclyn Jose speaks fondly of Rono's PRIVATE SHOW. I don't know why Rono had to change his name to Sixto Kayko for his first directorial debut.

the reason why Chito Rono opted to use a pseudonym for his directorial debut is to protect his father's name (remember Minister Jose Rono?)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #910 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 07:45 PM »
Only saw this now. Private Show was decently done, but it looked too much like a Boatman ripoff (Ricky Lee did uncredited work on Boatman). Itanong was also okay, but it didn't impress me somehow. Something off about it.

i guess you could say that, but Jaclyn Jose & even Gino Antonio gave commendable performances in Private Show...

did you know that the story of Itanong Mo Sa Buwan started as a teleplay and was aired as one of the episodes in Hiyas? the small screen version starred Gina Alajar & Julio Diaz.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #911 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 07:58 PM »
just wanted to share this bit of great news... this September at the prestigious New York Film Festival INSIANG will be screened as part of a film retrospective that focuses on great filmmakers. this is the very first time that a Filipino film will be included in the said festival. films of Akira Kurosawa, F.W. Murnau & Robert Altman  to name a few have been featured at the New York Film Festival and now it's Lino Brocka's turn. INSIANG will be shown in a pristine restored print with brand new subtitles, improved picture and sound. can't wait to see this movie on the big screen once again! the last time i saw INSIANG was in 1998 and it had French subtitles...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #912 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 12:37 PM »
i guess you could say that, but Jaclyn Jose & even Gino Antonio gave commendable performances in Private Show...

I thought they were terrific; I just have a problem with the film and script overall.

Yeah, I heard from Bing Lao Itanong was first a TV play.

Insiang with brand-new titles? I hope it isn't in that psuedo-literate style they used on Tinimbang. These are slum dwellers, for Christ's sake...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #913 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 09:39 PM »
the reason why Chito Rono opted to use a pseudonym for his directorial debut is to protect his father's name (remember Minister Jose Rono?)

Thanks for the info. PRIVATE SHOW looks dirty but you could actually smell the sweat of the live-sex performers. Jaclyn Jose's tour de force performance is a classic in my book.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #914 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 03:41 AM »
She was also very good, if not better, in Itanong and Macho Dancer. Heck, she's good in almost anything she's in...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #915 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 06:39 AM »
Insiang with brand-new titles? I hope it isn't in that psuedo-literate style they used on Tinimbang. These are slum dwellers, for Christ's sake...

yeah Noel brand new subtitles & a newly restored print. those were the conditions of the New York Film Festival committee. it's one great opportunity. Insiang has been screened here in NY before the couple of screenings i attended were all filled with filmgoers who admire Lino Brocka's work.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #916 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 10:59 AM »
She was also very good, if not better, in Itanong and Macho Dancer. Heck, she's good in almost anything she's in...

Even with no dialogue at all, she's amazing!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #917 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 12:21 PM »
yeah Noel brand new subtitles & a newly restored print. those were the conditions of the New York Film Festival committee. it's one great opportunity. Insiang has been screened here in NY before the couple of screenings i attended were all filled with filmgoers who admire Lino Brocka's work.

Would you know who masterminded the whole thing? The Insiang screening, I mean?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #918 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 12:26 PM »
That's good news for the newly restored print of INSIANG. Unfortunately you can only see it overseas.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #919 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 12:38 PM »
Hm, when would this be?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #920 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 01:04 PM »
September this year at New York Film Festival, wedge.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #921 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 01:06 PM »
Geez. Layo. And is Insiang the only Filipino film to be shown? Is it a part of a director retrospective?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #922 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 01:11 PM »
Yeah, I think so according to Jojo's post. If I have enough dough, I'll go there in September.  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006 at 01:19 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #923 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 07:50 PM »
Would you know who masterminded the whole thing? The Insiang screening, I mean?

yeah... Vincent Nebrida & Richard Pena (Executive Director of the Film Society Of Lincoln Center)
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006 at 07:50 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #924 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 07:51 PM »
Geez. Layo. And is Insiang the only Filipino film to be shown? Is it a part of a director retrospective?

Wedge... it's a part of the New York Film Festival Retrospective...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #925 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 07:53 PM »
Yeah, I think so according to Jojo's post. If I have enough dough, I'll go there in September.  ;)

you should... ako'ng bahala sa 'yo pagdating mo dito  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006 at 07:53 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #926 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 01:35 AM »
yeah... Vincent Nebrida & Richard Pena (Executive Director of the Film Society Of Lincoln Center)

Pena's Filipino, I assume? Or at least Vincent's friend? Then we should be seeing more films there, hopefully...

They should do Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos! I'm wiling to translate--at least we can avoid that literary stuffiness that pervades Tinimbang's subtitles...
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006 at 01:36 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #927 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 02:21 AM »
Pena's Filipino, I assume? Or at least Vincent's friend? Then we should be seeing more films there, hopefully...

They should do Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos! I'm wiling to translate--at least we can avoid that literary stuffiness that pervades Tinimbang's subtitles...

no, Richard Pena isn't Filipino, yeah he's Vincent's friend. we have plans for Tatlong Taon but it's a little too early to discuss it...  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #928 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 02:56 AM »
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006 at 02:57 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #929 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 08:35 AM »
you should... ako'ng bahala sa 'yo pagdating mo dito  ;)

Thanks, jo! I'll sneak out also on your hundreds and massive film collection.  :)