Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 499994 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #930 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 10:41 AM »
I would've said that too, bro. Pero knowing Noel, he probably has a perfect rebuttal to that hehe. ;D

I may argue with Noel regarding the films of Schumacher wedge, but he was always right! The man is capable and has so much intelligence regarding movies.

Did you know that he was the only one who saw the flaw in Bernal's HIMALA? The perversion of the filmmaker (Spanky Manikan) in that Bernal classic. Maybe Jojo can defend that.

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006 at 10:47 AM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #931 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 11:32 PM »
Thanks, jo! I'll sneak out also on your hundreds and massive film collection.  :)

puwede din hehehe.... pero hiram lang ha?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #932 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 11:35 PM »
puwede din hehehe.... pero hiram lang ha?

Hahaha! Give me cash muna for my ticket airfare.  ;)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #933 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 11:39 PM »
Hahaha! Give me cash muna for my ticket airfare.  ;)

peak season dito ang September kaya mahal ang plane ticket... it was great news when I learned na ipapalabas ang Insiang with a spanking new print & subtitles. it really an honor for the Philippines na makasama ang movie sa isang film retrospective at the New York Film Festival.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #934 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 11:53 PM »
Was INSIANG the only Brocka film that will be screen?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #935 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 11:55 PM »
Was INSIANG the only Brocka film that will be screen?

yeah Insiang lang... ususally kasi they only feature one masterwork ng isang filmmaker like kay Kurosawa years ago, Kagemusha ang ipinalabas nila at kay Murnau naman Sunrise ngayon Insiang naman from Brocka...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #936 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 11:57 PM »
Jo did you see the flaw in HIMALA? Noel posted it already on the yahoo board regarding the character of Spanky Manikan. What's your comment about that? Only Noel saw that flaw.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 12:01 AM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #937 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 12:06 AM »
Jo did you see the flaw in HIMALA? Noel posted it already on the yahoo board regarding the character of Spanky Manikan. What's your comment about that? Only Noel saw that flaw.

i have to watch it again...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #938 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 07:25 PM »
yeah Insiang lang... ususally kasi they only feature one masterwork ng isang filmmaker like kay Kurosawa years ago, Kagemusha ang ipinalabas nila at kay Murnau naman Sunrise ngayon Insiang naman from Brocka...

I was surprised to know that INSIANG was shot within 14 days in the slums of Manila. And hold your breath, Imee Marcos wants to be part of the cast.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 07:28 PM by keating »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #939 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 01:30 AM »
Wedge... it's a part of the New York Film Festival Retrospective...

Are you going?

Sana may time at pamasahe ako pumunta dun. Hehe.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #940 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 02:43 AM »
Something not a lot of people say out loud was that Brocka was actually a friend of the Marocses, or at least Imee, and that he was a johnny-come-lately to the militant left. You want hardcore, you should look at Pete Lacaba; he's about as radical as they come.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #941 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 07:17 PM »
I wonder if Imee became an actress and played the part of Kris Aquino in FATIMA BUEN STORY. She could have bagged the Best Actress award from the critics.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #942 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 11:24 PM »
HIMALA (Ishmael Bernal)

Master filmmaker Ishmael Bernal has always been good in using expansive locale and multi-character in most of his films (Manila By Night, Nunal Sa Tubig, Ito Ba Ang Ating Mga Anak). His journey to religious fanaticism is powered by electrifying performances not only from its lead star but also from the thespians who have all background in theatre. More than 20 years had passed, Nora Aunor's trademark film IMO has not dated when I saw it last weekend.

A town changes when Elsa (Nora Aunor) reveals to the people her visions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The town becomes a bustling community when her skills attract a lot of sick people coping with incurable disease and the pilgrims. A filmmaker (Spanky Manikan) arrives with the hope of catching the miracle on film, instead he witnessed the rape of Elsa and her best friend Chayong (Laura Centeno). The town's activities stopped when Elsa's pregnancy was discovered. Elsa decided to call again the people and denies the existence of miracle before a tumultous crowd until she was asssinated.

Bernal controlled the film throughout with minimalist style but let go towards the ending with a big bravura sequence that will end all finale in Philippine Cinema. Joe Gruta's wife who was my colleague in our office told me that ending was shot in military strategy by Bernal with so much help of course from the big crowd. What lies here are the tremendous acting skills by the thespians from the cast, Vangie Labalan, Gigi Duenas, Spanky Manikan, Joe Gruta, Pen Medina & Laura Centeno. One can't help but feel so much anxiety when Elsa saw the face of Labalan, before announcing to the crowd that no miracle exists. Winston Raval's music is haunting, cinematography and production design were all superb. Since Bernal was an Atheist, a blasphemous scene will not be far behind. The shot where the town's prostitute (Gigi Duenas) imitates the Bl. Virgin Mary amidst the sunset was a breathtaking to behold. That scene alone, it gave justice to Sergio Lobo's stunning cinematography. Now the debate here is the perversion of the filmmaker's character. Why did he film when Elsa & Chayong were being rape? Only Noel Vera saw that and perhaps Ricky Lee can answer that.

The classic line that Nora Aunor uttered and her monologue commands your breathless attention, powerful, riveting and brilliant! When she was being carried after that shot, she was the epitome of the Black Nazarene which sent my spine chilling! She can now stop making movies, because HIMALA is the film that earns her the mark of a true actress in Philippine Cinema, I'm totally impressed!
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2006 at 05:04 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #943 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 10:07 PM »
it's great to know that after 24 years Himala still has the same hold it had when the movie was first shown in 1982. although it swept most of the awards at that year's MMFF and despite glowing reviews from film critics, the movie was totally ignored by most award giving bodies the following year. FAMAS was the worst among them for they nominated Nora for Mga Uod At Rosas instead of her incandescent portrayal of Elsa in this Bernal classic. Himala was chosen as one the Best Films of the 80's by the Manunuri Ng Pelikulang Pilipino. the movie was also the Philippines' entry to the 1983 Berlin International Film Festival where it competed for the Golden Bear. Nora's performance also merited a Best Actress nomination. Himala also won the Hugo Bronze Medal Award at the 1983 Chicago International Film Festival. many say Himala was Bernal at his best... i couldn't help but agree.
click on the link below to see selected scenes from this Bernal classic:

http://home.comcast.net/~robertalberto/himala.htm
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2006 at 10:13 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #944 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 10:29 PM »
I agree.  It's one of the Philippine Cinema's real film classics that can stand head and shoulders amongsts the classics of the world.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2006 at 10:30 PM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #945 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 08:38 AM »
It's Bernal's most visually distinctive, I think. The scenes of windswept desolation--like no other place in the Philippines--seems to foreshadow the devastation caused by Pinatubo.

I visited a town near Pinatubo, talked to some people there and it's exactly as in Himala: the people there have gone back to god, and are convinced they are being tested in their faith.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2006 at 08:39 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #946 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 05:11 PM »
Jojo was that the trailer on your link?  ??? Charo Santos Concio one of the executive producers of ECP was so fond also of this movie as she narrates her experience on the retrospective documentary.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2006 at 05:15 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #947 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 06:23 PM »
Jojo was that the trailer on your link?  ??? Charo Santos Concio one of the executive producers of ECP was so fond also of this movie as she narrates her experience on the retrospective documentary.

no, it wasn't the trailer... those were selected scenes from the movie.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #948 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 08:56 PM »
Is it true that Nora only miss one point for the prestigious Best Actress award at the Berlin Film Fest? And she was not around also when the ceremony was being conducted that's why she didn't bag the award. But she wowed most of the jurors at the Berlin Film Fest for her portrayal of Elsa in Bernal's HIMALA.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #949 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 06:15 AM »
Is it true that Nora only miss one point for the prestigious Best Actress award at the Berlin Film Fest? And she was not around also when the ceremony was being conducted that's why she didn't bag the award. But she wowed most of the jurors at the Berlin Film Fest for her portrayal of Elsa in Bernal's HIMALA.

it's absolutely true... apparently that's how they vote on who would win the award for Best Actress... Nora didn't go due to a misunderstanding with the ECP bosses.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #950 on: Apr 13, 2006 at 10:33 AM »
What's the real story behind that, Jo? Did she had falling out with Charo Santos or Bibsy Carballo who line-produced the movie?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #951 on: Apr 13, 2006 at 03:43 PM »
Jojo--kept expecting O'Hara's Uhaw na Pag-ibig to be a mediocre melodrama, but it's actually terrific. Hard to get into at first, but it gets to you, and finally owns you in the end.

I'm not too clear on the cast--that's Lito Pimentel as Bong, the bad guy, right? And I think Toby Alejar plays one of her boyfriends, the third one? And who is Toby's former--is that Laurice?!

The mother--Perla, right? is wonderful, and of course Bella Flores is magnificent; she even has a memorable last shot (literally) that makes you feel for her.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but this has to be Claudia's single best performance. She's amazing here.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #952 on: Apr 13, 2006 at 05:12 PM »
Among the bombshells during the 80's she really stands out and has depth. Too bad Claudia Zobel only made 4 films before that tragic car accident killed her in Q.C.

Noel check her out also in Chionglo's SINNER OR SAINT.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #953 on: Apr 13, 2006 at 06:46 PM »
Jojo--kept expecting O'Hara's Uhaw na Pag-ibig to be a mediocre melodrama, but it's actually terrific. Hard to get into at first, but it gets to you, and finally owns you in the end.

I'm not too clear on the cast--that's Lito Pimentel as Bong, the bad guy, right? And I think Toby Alejar plays one of her boyfriends, the third one? And who is Toby's former--is that Laurice?!

The mother--Perla, right? is wonderful, and of course Bella Flores is magnificent; she even has a memorable last shot (literally) that makes you feel for her.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but this has to be Claudia's single best performance. She's amazing here.

it's a great film Noel! O'Hara's pseudo tribute to Bernal's Manila By Night, remember the opening scene? it really grabbed me the first time i saw the movie.

Lito Pimentel was the bad guy, of course Patrick de la Rosa as the schoolmate/boyfriend & Edgar Mande was the third one. i have to re-watch the movie again to find out who Edgar's former lover was.

i totally agree with Perla Bautista's performance... she was astonishing. i especially liked her when she was beating up Claudia after discovering her affair with Patrick, and Claudia, it's in this movie where she actually showed her growing intensity as an actress which was followed by her critically acclaimed performance in Sinner Or Saint. i must say that it was O'Hara who first tapped into her unrecognized acting talent. i actually loved Claudia in that scene where she found her ***spoiler alert*** dead boyfriend, she was just amazing!
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006 at 08:20 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #954 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 11:38 AM »
MORAL (Marilou Diaz-Abaya)

I saw this film many years ago at U.P. Film Center when they had a Ricky Lee film retrospective. Another case of time will tell because the audience was already laughing, shouting and crying at the right places. A classic film that reminds you of excellent outputs of Philippine Cinema has to offer when the movie was released back in 1982.

MORAL tracks the lives of four women all bind by friendship. Lorna Tolentino as Joey whose life spins out of control is a promiscuous drug junkie. Gina Alajar as Kathy is an aspiring singer who will do everything so that she cain gain fame and fortune although aware of the mediocrity of her voice. Sandy Andolong as Sylvia still seeks for the love of her homosexual husband and Anna Marin as Maritess is the submissive female to her husband who takes on the traditional role of mother and housewife.

The four women take separate paths in order to realize their true selves and finding out what's best for them. It is sometimes similar to an Altman film but more excellent in terms of narrative. You can watch the film in the middle and still grasp the whole message of the movie, no character will be left behind. Most outstanding among the four is Lorna Tolentino, her portrayal as a bum and later realizes that she can't get the man she loves is simply amazing. Abaya didn't follow the typical Filipino film structure which succumbs to a rising conflict but a resolution at the end.

Jojo thanks again! I missed the hilarious scene when Gina Alajar saw Claire dele Fuente when they were rushing the pregnant Anna Marin at the hospital.  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006 at 12:02 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #955 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 12:49 PM »
Yeah, I saw the Manila By Night opening. I suppose this is O'Hara's reply--both are more different than they are similar, I think. Or, O'Hara is responding to Bernal's cynicism--and Manila By Night is the most complete expression of Bernal's cynicism--by showing characters that, however depraved or corrupt or perverse, still have his (O'Hara's) sympathies.

Mely Tagasa--suddenly I'm in awe of her. Kastilyong Buhangin, this pic--she does melodramas better than Ricky Lee can, at least when O'Hara directs them.  Have they done anything else together?

And I can't believe Sergio Lobo and O'Hara worked together! The shadows here are velvety; you could almost sink into them. The lighting is harsh, when it's not seductively soft, and there's a real look to this picture that owes nothing to either Romy Vitug or Carding Baltazar. Have they done anything else together?!

And that beautiful ambiguity--I'm talking about Mande's eventual departure. It's foreshadowed by his ex-girlfriend's visit (Laurice Guillen?), then Claudia's full confession of love (which he never hears, being asleep), and finally his scene with the American. We're all ready for the rejection, but what's that pause he does before he comes in and gives it to her straight? Is he trying to steel himself for the task? Because he finds it too difficult, or because he still loves her? Or is he thinking this is the best way to break things off, by being such a bastard? Maybe not the third, but O'Hara teases us with these throwaway moments, so fleeting you can miss them if you blink...

Looking at O'Hara's filmography. He did this film after Ibulong Mo sa Puso (seen that, Jojo?) and before the great Condemned. Seems to me he's been making variations on Maynila sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag all throughout the first half of the '80s, and many of them can stand, well, not side-by-side, but at least in the same room as that film...

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006 at 02:33 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #956 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 07:19 PM »
Yeah, I saw the Manila By Night opening. I suppose this is O'Hara's reply--both are more different than they are similar, I think. Or, O'Hara is responding to Bernal's cynicism--and Manila By Night is the most complete expression of Bernal's cynicism--by showing characters that, however depraved or corrupt or perverse, still have his (O'Hara's) sympathies.

Mely Tagasa--suddenly I'm in awe of her. Kastilyong Buhangin, this pic--she does melodramas better than Ricky Lee can, at least when O'Hara directs them.  Have they done anything else together?

And I can't believe Sergio Lobo and O'Hara worked together! The shadows here are velvety; you could almost sink into them. The lighting is harsh, when it's not seductively soft, and there's a real look to this picture that owes nothing to either Romy Vitug or Carding Baltazar. Have they done anything else together?!

And that beautiful ambiguity--I'm talking about Mande's eventual departure. It's foreshadowed by his ex-girlfriend's visit (Laurice Guillen?), then Claudia's full confession of love (which he never hears, being asleep), and finally his scene with the American. We're all ready for the rejection, but what's that pause he does before he comes in and gives it to her straight? Is he trying to steel himself for the task? Because he finds it too difficult, or because he still loves her? Or is he thinking this is the best way to break things off, by being such a bastard? Maybe not the third, but O'Hara teases us with these throwaway moments, so fleeting you can miss them if you blink...

Looking at O'Hara's filmography. He did this film after Ibulong Mo sa Puso (seen that, Jojo?) and before the great Condemned. Seems to me he's been making variations on Maynila sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag all throughout the first half of the '80s, and many of them can stand, well, not side-by-side, but at least in the same room as that film...

Mely Tagasa also co-wrote Gaano Kita Kamahal? with O'Hara and To Mama With Love if i'm not mistaken. to my knowledge, it was only in Uhaw Sa Pag-Ibig that O'Hara got to work with Sergio Lobo who's more identified with Bernal, which if you think about it an interesting choice for the director since Lobo also did the camerawork for Manila By Night.

i have seen Ibulong Mo Sa Puso which was O'Hara's only teen angst movie with the exception of Pangarap Ng Puso or even Takot Ako Eh!  the O'Hara touch was so evident but it was ruined by uninspired performances from Liezel, Albert Martinez and even Amalia Fuentes. O'Hara gave the film a different approach, if it starred maybe the likes of Snooky & Gabby it would've been a much better film but O'Hara's lesser movies are still much better than your average Filipino film.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006 at 07:21 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #957 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 09:36 PM »
ORAPRONOBIS (Lino Brocka)

Story of our people, our country has always been the subject of Lino Brocka's films. ORAPRONOBIS released during the time of Aquino administration has seen rough sailing not only from the MTRCB but the government itself. It was not release commercially in the theatres up to now. Sufferings, struggle and oppression are the typical ingredients in this film that makes it similar to another work by Pete Lacaba, KAPIT SA PATALIM: BAYAN KO.

Released from detention after the People Power revolution, Jimmy Cordero (Philip Salvador) an ex-priest and former politcial detainee returns to his wife (Dina Bonnevie). His belief in the Aquino govt., was shattered when he learned that his former fiancee (Gina Alajar) was abducted by a group of vigilante named the ORAPRONOBIS headed by Bembol Roco.

This movie is on the league of Brocka's other masterpieces from MAYNILA SA KUKO NG LIWANAG to INSIANG to KAPIT SA PATALIM: BAYAN KO. No one will be left unmoved and touch by the movie. Salvador's scene with his son near the end is simply moving and touching, Dina Bonnevie is excellent in her role as the wife of Salvador. Bembol Roco was menacing as the head of ORAPRONOBIS, you don't want to meet this person in the highlands. And Gina Alajar as the most sympathetic human abused victim was remarkable. Technically superior, compelling and truthful.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006 at 10:01 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #958 on: Apr 15, 2006 at 01:22 AM »
i have seen Ibulong Mo Sa Puso which was O'Hara's only teen angst movie with the exception of Pangarap Ng Puso or even Takot Ako Eh! the O'Hara touch was so evident but it was ruined by uninspired performances from Liezel, Albert Martinez and even Amalia Fuentes. O'Hara gave the film a different approach, if it starred maybe the likes of Snooky & Gabby it would've been a much better film but O'Hara's lesser movies are still much better than your average Filipino film.

Takot Ako, Eh! from what I remember was crap--and this I say reluctantly. Wanted to like it, time travel gimmick and all, but it was too, I don't know, too whimsical to get a fix on, and I think O'Hara's shaky with whimsical humor (he's better with black comedy). I wonder too about Prinsesang Gusgusin and To Mama With Love, if I'll feel better about them with a second viewing (Gusgusin fell flat, To Mama--what I remember of it--was inconsistent).

Possibly O'Hara wanted to work with Lobo after Manila By Night; also possible that he got a clip from Manila thanks to Lobo.

I wonder if this was the time that he met Bernal. Interesting what Bernal tried to do upon meeting him, heh... ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2006 at 01:25 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #959 on: Apr 15, 2006 at 06:17 PM »
Prinsesang Gusgusin was much better than Takot Ako Eh! i actually liked To Mama With Love, Marficel Soriano was great in it and so was Janice de Belen. it was in my opinion, the best among Regal's Mother's Day offerings and that includes Brocka's Mother Dear.

how was his first meeting with Bernal? i wonder if he saw Uhaw Sa Pag-Ibig...