Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 499984 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #960 on: Apr 15, 2006 at 07:04 PM »
Jojo that's another story of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. Noel, Ishma might rise from the grave just like Lino.  ;D ;)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #961 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 08:44 AM »
I liked Maricel and Janice in To Mama. I think I liked the mother too--Anita Linda, or Lolita Rodriguez? I really need to see all of them again.

how was his first meeting with Bernal?

Bernal tried to screw him.

Honest.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #962 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 09:16 AM »
I liked Maricel and Janice in To Mama. I think I liked the mother too--Anita Linda, or Lolita Rodriguez? I really need to see all of them again.

Bernal tried to screw him.

Honest.

same here i liked bith of them in To Mama... the mother was played by Gloria Romero. btw have you received your package?

really? oh my gosh!  :o
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2006 at 09:17 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #963 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 12:07 PM »
I got it. But sem break is here and I'm confined to anime, horror, and action films.

really? oh my gosh!

I had introduced film critic Max Tessier to O'Hara. He was asking him questions. I mentioned Bernal. O'Hara laughed, and said "Gusto niya 'kong kantutin!" Max wanted to know what O'Hara said. O'Hara replied "He wanted to make love to me!"

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #964 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 12:37 PM »
I got it. But sem break is here and I'm confined to anime, horror, and action films.

I had introduced film critic Max Tessier to O'Hara. He was asking him questions. I mentioned Bernal. O'Hara laughed, and said "Gusto niya 'kong kantutin!" Max wanted to know what O'Hara said. O'Hara replied "He wanted to make love to me!"

glad you got them...

i wonder how Brocka would've reacted to that...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #965 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 12:46 PM »
Jealous, sure, but on a purely professional level. I have reason to believe O'Hara and Brocka were never lovers...
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2006 at 12:49 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #966 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 04:46 PM »
Ishma has the habit of kissing everyone on the set whenever shooting wraps up.  ;)

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #967 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 07:33 PM »
Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos
Mario O’ Hara

Finally I am able to see this O Hara’s acclaimed classic.  What can I say?  Firstly, in my opinion this is one of his most visually striking movies. It has an epic feel to it even though it’s basically a very intimate story of a young woman caught in-between the two sides of war.  The acting is uniformly excellent, especially Nora’s. I like her quiet intensity which is so typical with her early movies.

One thing that I do not buy in this movie is Christopher De Leon’s character.  I just can’t make myself believe that such a person exists during those times.  It would have been perfect if the character is 100% Japanese (or a half-Japanese but played by a Japanese actor or even by a Japanese-looking actor).  I know that the reason for this is budgetary but it does greatly affect my appreciation of the movie.  Maybe if the character is played by a lesser known actor it would have worked better for me.

What I admire the most about the movie is its economy.  I’ve mentioned above that it has an epic scale to it -- but that’s achieved without the use of expensive sets and effects, but by using real WWII footage and by choosing a great location and clever camera tricks.

And also, O Hara has employed some of his trademark “magic-realism” in this movie, but this time it blended well with the rest of the picture.  He is yet successful in achieving the same balance since (in my opinion).

Although I am a little bit disappointed I still consider this film a truly great Filipino classic.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #968 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 08:11 PM »
Ishma has the habit of kissing everyone on the set whenever shooting wraps up.  ;)

i worked with him in an episode of Isip Pinoy but he never kissed me.  ;D

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #969 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 08:17 PM »
Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos
Mario O’ Hara

Finally I am able to see this O Hara’s acclaimed classic.  What can I say?  Firstly, in my opinion this is one of his most visually striking movies. It has an epic feel to it even though it’s basically a very intimate story of a young woman caught in-between the two sides of war.  The acting is uniformly excellent, especially Nora’s. I like her quiet intensity which is so typical with her early movies.

One thing that I do not buy in this movie is Christopher De Leon’s character.  I just can’t make myself believe that such a person exists during those times.  It would have been perfect if the character is 100% Japanese (or a half-Japanese but played by a Japanese actor or even by a Japanese-looking actor).  I know that the reason for this is budgetary but it does greatly affect my appreciation of the movie.  Maybe if the character is played by a lesser known actor it would have worked better for me.

What I admire the most about the movie is its economy.  I’ve mentioned above that it has an epic scale to it -- but that’s achieved without the use of expensive sets and effects, but by using real WWII footage and by choosing a great location and clever camera tricks.

And also, O Hara has employed some of his trademark “magic-realism” in this movie, but this time it blended well with the rest of the picture.  He is yet successful in achieving the same balance since (in my opinion).

Although I am a little bit disappointed I still consider this film a truly great Filipino classic.

most people who have seen Tatlong Taon had that same problem with Christopher's character as well, even the actor himself had his own reservations and has constantly said in interviews that it was indeed Nora's movie. but you know what? there's a possibility that someone like Masugi actually existed during WWII. his is  a more compassionate Japanese Officer unlike that of Kenji Marquez' character in Gatas Sa Dibdib Ng Kaaway...
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2006 at 08:18 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #970 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 08:38 PM »
i worked with him in an episode of Isip Pinoy but he never kissed me.  ;D

Whoa, what episode Jo of ISIP PINOY? The one which Morato banned........MARALITANG TAGA-LUNGSOD?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #971 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 08:55 PM »
Whoa, what episode Jo of ISIP PINOY? The one which Morato banned........MARALITANG TAGA-LUNGSOD?

no... Ang Kayamanan Ng Simbahan...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #972 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 09:12 PM »
You are so lucky Jo. You were able to work with Bernal. Is he cooler than Peque? Last time I saw Ishma was during the screening of MANILA BY NIGHT at the Shang where he gave some info, and he was so fat. Too bad he will passed away that same year.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #973 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 09:43 PM »
You are so lucky Jo. You were able to work with Bernal. Is he cooler than Peque? Last time I saw Ishma was during the screening of MANILA BY NIGHT at the Shang where he gave some info, and he was so fat. Too bad he will passed away that same year.

well  couldn't compare him with Peque... Bernal is loud but it was while editing our Isip Pinoy episode when i asked him the proverbial question of who deserved to win Best Actress in 1982 since he directed both Himala and Relasyon...

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #974 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 05:11 AM »
I found this Yahoo Group about Filipino Movie Ads and Poster. They have a good collection including movie ads from 1940's. Here's the link to join:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/philippinecinemavault/

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2006 at 05:12 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #975 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 01:45 PM »

One thing that I do not buy in this movie is Christopher De Leon’s character.  I just can’t make myself believe that such a person exists during those times.  It would have been perfect if the character is 100% Japanese (or a half-Japanese but played by a Japanese actor or even by a Japanese-looking actor). 

Half-Japanese, half Filipinos existed in those days; Japanese workers were brought in to work on Kennon road, among other American projects. I've met quite a few of them in Baguio, and they keep close ties to Japan, even getting scholarships to Japanese universities.

(edit) forgot to mention that Japanese Christians were expelled from Japan in the 17th century, some of whom settled in Manila. The Paco area was known as "Yellow Plaza" because around 3,000 Japanese lived there. They've been around, and intermarrying, for longer than I realized.

I don't think much of Boyet as an actor--not dumb, but not exciting--but I thought this was his finest, most complex performance ever.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2006 at 01:51 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 477
« Reply #976 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 03:20 PM »
well  couldn't compare him with Peque... Bernal is loud but it was while editing our Isip Pinoy episode when i asked him the proverbial question of who deserved to win Best Actress in 1982 since he directed both Himala and Relasyon...
and what was his answer?

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #977 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 07:52 PM »
Salome
Laurice Guillen

This is another movie that I’ve heard so much about.  Finally I was able to see it on video. The video quality of the version that I saw was not very good.  It was full of scratches and deteriorating.  Even in this state I was still able to appreciate this Laurice Guillen masterpiece.

While watching the movie a thought came into mind.  This is the quintessential Celso Ad Castillo movie that he’s failed to make. It has all the makings of an Ad Castillo movie starting from the location, to its characters and the basic plot points.  If only the sex scenes are more explicit (this version that I saw was pretty tame) I could swear that this is his movie.  I didn’t know that Laurice Guillen is capable of making a movie that is this visual.  Maybe it has helped that it was lensed by Romeo Vitug. (I also noticed that this was produced by Armida Seguion Reyna.  This movie would probably later serve as a template for what would be the Reyna-Films-produced-movie look.)

The major thing that sets this from becoming a Celso Ad Castillo movie is the storytelling.  This movie flows logically and elegantly.  It echoes the basic premise of Rashomon but the story is taken to another direction (and it’s distinctly Filipino).  The sex scenes in this movie are no where near explicit but they are very well executed and has real heat in them.  The climax involves a scene that somewhat precedes Basic Instinct (replacing the “tarik” with an ice pick).

Aside from one too many melodramatic moments I think the hysterics are kept to a minimum.  Johnny Delgado and Gina Alajar are both on top form here. I’m not that impressed with Dennis Roldan though, but he’s more of a plot point than a character anyway so it doesn’t really matter.

Reading the credit I’ve noticed that this was penned by Ricky Lee.  It reminded me how good he can be.  His recent outputs had been watch-able at best but some were downright embarrassing for a scriptwriter of his stature.  He has totally succumbed to the establishment (but I guess like the rest of us, he’s got bills to pay).  I can’t wait for him to write another film that matters again (or has he passed his prime?)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #978 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 09:25 AM »
Salome
Laurice Guillen

I didn’t know that Laurice Guillen is capable of making a movie that is this visual.

You could see her talent as early as Kasal? (her first) and in what I think is her best work, Init sa Magdamag.

The sex scenes in this movie are no where near explicit but they are very well executed and has real heat in them.

Yep; I think she's better than this new crop of Matti/Laranas/what have you at eroticism--better even than Peque in Scorpio Nights because she does more with much less.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #979 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 11:09 PM »
You could see her talent as early as Kasal? (her first) and in what I think is her best work, Init sa Magdamag.

I thought before that she was more of a actor's director than a visualist (because she's an excellent actress) although I must say that I haven't seen much of her major works.
Her recent outputs are just too plain like Santa Santita and American Adobo.  I like parts of Tanging Yaman though.

I haven't seen "Init" and "Kasal" yet but I'm looking forward to seeing them someday.   ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2006 at 11:14 PM by rse »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #980 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 11:55 PM »
I bought an English-dubbed (too bad it was really distracting) DVD of Elwood Perez’ Silip (Daughters of Eve).
Funny it has what seem to be Russian subtitles and the DVD is a copy of a VHS release I think.

What can I say?  This is probably the most explicit mainstream Filipino film I’ve ever seen.
I think it belongs to the very best of sexploitation movies.  If you watch it with that frame of mind you will enjoy it else this is basically a very crappy movie with lots sex and frontal nudity.  Most of the major characters are either having sex or are walking around naked.  Maria Isabel Lopez is hot hot hot!

The scenes with kids are quite disturbing though.  I don’t know how they got away with that!

The opening scene reminds me of a scene from Apocalypse Now.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2006 at 11:58 PM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #981 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 12:32 PM »
I don't like Tanging, and only like Adobo okay; her best works were those two films, and they put her head and shoulders above that other Filipina filmmaker.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #982 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 08:54 PM »
SILIP is noted for its exploitative notoriety. No other Filipino film comes close to that.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #983 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 10:18 PM »
From Anita Linda's SISA

to Susan Roces' MARUJA

to Rio Locsin's DISGRASYADA

Find more movie ads of Pinoy Movies at the url below. Maybe add a movie ad from your own collection:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/philippinecinemavault/

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2006 at 10:22 PM by pinoymovies »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #984 on: Apr 22, 2006 at 10:53 AM »
Hey, pinoymovies can you post the link for the poster of Celso Ad's PATAYIN MO SA SINDAK SI BARBARA? Thanks!

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #985 on: Apr 22, 2006 at 01:51 PM »
CineFilipino DVD Release of Manila By Night
Ishmael Bernal

(This is a review of the DVD release, not the movie since we all know how great this movie is anyway.)

I’ve seen Manila By Night before on a taped TV broadcast from Cinema One.  When I heard that it will finally be released on DVD I got very excited. Wow! Finally they’re releasing (real) Filipino classics on DVD!  Kudos to CineFilipino for doing this. I can’t wait for it to become the Philippine version of Criterion Selection.

Anyway back to the DVD.  The DVD contains I think the most complete version of the movie.  All the profanity and sex scenes are all intact.  The transfer disappointingly is almost the same quality as the one they show in Cinema One.  I don’t think this has been remastered at all.  It’s in 1.33:1 aspect ratio but I guess it might be its original aspect ratio.  A major plus is the inclusion of English subtitles.  The special features are nothing to talk about:  just upcoming releases and a short text about the movie.

The major thing that disappointed me with this release is the inclusion of a weird ending where there was a voiceover explaining what happened to each of the characters of the movie. It was very lame and cheapens the movie (I guess this is the censored-version of the ending).  While watching it I thought that heck they changed the ending of the movie.  Immediately after this ending, the real ending follows (the same ending they had in Cinema One).  The guys from CineFilipino should have cut that and put in the special feature as an alternate ending.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #986 on: Apr 22, 2006 at 02:13 PM »
That sounds very annoying, almost as if you'd rather see the Cinema One broadcast, or tape it. Wonder why they did that.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #987 on: Apr 22, 2006 at 05:29 PM »
That sounds very annoying, almost as if you'd rather see the Cinema One broadcast, or tape it. Wonder why they did that.

it's the only master copy that regal owns... that particular scene with the voice over was made to please the censors and the Marcos government. that was included in City After Dark, the theatrical version. while the butchered one shown on Cinema One was Ishmael Bernal's complete Manila By Night.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2006 at 05:30 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #988 on: Apr 22, 2006 at 08:06 PM »
The version that they shown at Pelikula at Lipunan when they made a tribute to Bernal has no narration at the end.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #989 on: Apr 22, 2006 at 09:01 PM »
Hey, pinoymovies can you post the link for the poster of Celso Ad's PATAYIN MO SA SINDAK SI BARBARA? Thanks!

There used to be a Celso Ad Castillo website but I can't find it on the web anymore.