Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500177 times)

Offline sosy_high

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1530 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 12:48 PM »
Ligalig (Cesar Montano)

Movie studios should not let Cesar near their latest film equipment.   It looks like Cesar got overly excited and used all the available functions.  He also got trigger-happy with the editing and camera work.
What he forgot is to tell a story that makes sense, coherent, and believable.

It's a mere copycat of the 2003 French movie HAUTE TENSION

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1531 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 01:25 PM »
Ligalig (Cesar Montano)

Movie studios should not let Cesar near their latest film equipment.   It looks like Cesar got overly excited and used all the available functions.  He also got trigger-happy with the editing and camera work.
What he forgot is to tell a story that makes sense, coherent, and believable.

Agreed! Especially the driving scenes. Annoying. Hehe. ;D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1532 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 01:29 PM »
Agreed! Especially the driving scenes. Annoying. Hehe. ;D

...and totally pointless. Why would someone use special effects for those scenes? I must admit, the film had one good performance, which made the massacre sequence quite watchable. Other than that, it's a stupid, stupid film.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1533 on: Jul 20, 2007 at 02:07 PM »
...and totally pointless. Why would someone use special effects for those scenes? I must admit, the film had one good performance, which made the massacre sequence quite watchable. Other than that, it's a stupid, stupid film.

Actually, Sunshine Cruz gives an astonishing performance in this film. She's really SCARED! You can feel it. Otherwise, yeah, its a bad movie.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1534 on: Jul 23, 2007 at 07:55 AM »

Vincent Nebrida gave me complimentary advanced copies of Cine Filipino's soon to be released DVD's...

just finished watching Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa, next is Insiang which was mastered from the same print screened at last year's New York Film Festival then tomorrow it's Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang.

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1535 on: Jul 23, 2007 at 09:09 AM »

Vincent Nebrida gave me complimentary advanced copies of Cine Filipino's soon to be released DVD's...

just finished watching Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa, next is Insiang which was mastered from the same print screened at last year's New York Film Festival then tomorrow it's Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang.

When will they be available for sale?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1536 on: Jul 23, 2007 at 09:47 AM »
i was told by October the films will be available online at cinefilipino.com and in video stores by November

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1537 on: Jul 23, 2007 at 12:07 PM »

Hopefully, they would release a Nora Aunor classic movie in this magnitude. Of course, availability and rights are always the concern.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1538 on: Jul 23, 2007 at 12:45 PM »

And speaking of releasing a classic movie. This one is really a 'classic.' Just saw the GABI NG LAGIM vcd recently and was really affronted by having the cover shown the name of Ramon Revilla as the lead star when even his shadow were no longer visible in the movie. He was in the first segment as I've remembered before (in the glory days of Ch.9's afternoon delight) but only three were survived, the vampire who attack a barrio (inspired by Hammer vampire films), the vengeful severed hand and the comedic haunted house story lead by The King. They should have put Fernando Poe, Jr. if they are trying to sell this by means of big stars on the cover, at least viewers will know that what they will see is what they will get. >:(

By the way, the video quality that is being released in vcd is the same one being shown in cable.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1539 on: Jul 23, 2007 at 08:57 PM »

Love the covers! Magigi bang available ito sa mga local Video stores like Astrovision and Odyssey? I was disappointed kc ung Ina, Kapatid Anak hindi naging available sa local stores

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1540 on: Jul 24, 2007 at 01:12 AM »

Hi Jojo,

How's the quality of the transfer?  Can't wait for these titles.  I haven't yet seen Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa -- and  wait, a mastered copy of Insiang, I'm drooling now!!!
I hope that they update their site soon.  Some of the titles that are available now are not even available online on their site.

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2007 at 01:26 AM by rse »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1541 on: Jul 24, 2007 at 06:55 AM »
hi Ron!

the transfer as expected of Unitel DVD's is on par with their other releases with Insiang being the best in the lot. they used the same 35mm print which was screened at the New York Film Festival last year with a 1.85:1 aspect ratio in the best quality available.  they are going to update their website very soon.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1542 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 08:48 PM »

I was surprised to find that Sharon's DEAR HEART is available on dvd and vcd. I have never thought I would see the day that her first lead starrer would be available in video.  I even thought it was out-of-print already before. It was release by an unknown distributor. Too bad, the cover art was poorly conceived. Malabo ang pictures. Still, a must-have for Sharon's fan or just collecting retro movies.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1543 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 08:52 PM »
hi Ron!

the transfer as expected of Unitel DVD's is on par with their other releases with Insiang being the best in the lot. they used the same 35mm print which was screened at the New York Film Festival last year with a 1.85:1 aspect ratio in the best quality available.  they are going to update their website very soon.

magiging available po ba ang mga ito sa local market lyk Astrovision, astroplus at odyssey?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1544 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 08:55 PM »
i believe they will be available at your local video stores as well...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:08 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1546 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:09 PM »
i believe they will be available at your local video stores as well...

*sighs* sana nga...pero I read ur post...u said na baka sa November available na...sana nga...I would be very sad kapag d naging available...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1547 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:11 PM »
subject to change kasi ang release dates nila... most of the time delayed but it's worth the wait naman...

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1548 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:13 PM »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1549 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:17 PM »
thanks a lot! since you mentioned the screencaps, over dinner last Saturday screenwriter Gil Quito told me how much he loved the screencaps and asked how do i choose the scenes included in the collage. i simply told him that they are 15 of my most favorite scenes from the movie...
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:19 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1550 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:20 PM »
subject to change kasi ang release dates nila... most of the time delayed but it's worth the wait naman...

yah....sobra! kung november, yay! happy aq kasi birthday month ko yun! hahahahaha can't wait...

Hows the quality of Tinimbang, kuya Jo?

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1551 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:23 PM »
thanks a lot! since you mentioned the screencaps, over dinner last Saturday screenwriter Gil Quito told me how much he loved the screencaps and asked how do i choose the scenes included in the collage. i simply told him that they are 15 of my most favorite scenes from the movie...

Is Gil staying in overseas for good? Aside from ITIM & MERIKA, what other films did he wrote?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1552 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:24 PM »
the quality of Tinimbang is excellent! it was mastered from the 35mm print from the CCP's permanent collection...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1553 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:25 PM »
Is Gil staying in overseas for good? Aside from ITIM & MERIKA, what other films did he wrote?

he's here for good... as far as i know those were the only two feature films he wrote...

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1554 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:31 PM »
the quality of Tinimbang is excellent! it was mastered from the 35mm print from the CCP's permanent collection...

wow! thanks!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1555 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:33 PM »
anytime!

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1556 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:33 PM »
Aliwan Paradise

http://sari-saringsinengpinoy.blogspot.com/2007/07/maynila-sa-mga-kuko-ng-aliw.htmlftp://

wish you'll write an article for Tinimbang ka ngunit kulang using the DVD's SCs...i'll wait for it!

BTW, nice reviews kuya Jojo! and yah like what Pareng pogi said, you're Screen caps are nice!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1557 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:37 PM »
thanks a lot! i already have a VHS copy of Tinimbang but the DVD was quite refreshing to watch... i will post a review of the movie very soon i just have to gather my thougts...

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1558 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:41 PM »
thanks a lot! i already have a VHS copy of Tinimbang but the DVD was quite refreshing to watch... i will post a review of the movie very soon i just have to gather my thougts...

I always visit your blog and read your reviews, and it was great! You're reviews of BATCH 81, INSIANG, KISAPMATA and MAYNILA SA MGA KUKO NG LIWANAG in my opinion is the best...and you're comparison between MAYNILA and MANILA BY NIGHT....good job!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1559 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:46 PM »
thanks a lot sossy!

although my blog is all about pinoy films of the 70's & 80's i felt that Aliwan Paradise should be included since it was closely related to Maynila Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag. can you tell which one i prefer? Maynila or Manila By Night? what do you think?