Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 498215 times)

Offline sosy_high

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1560 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:53 PM »
thanks a lot sossy!

although my blog is all about pinoy films of the 70's & 80's i felt that Aliwan Paradise should be included since it was closely related to Maynila Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag. can you tell which one i prefer? Maynila or Manila By Night? what do you think?

I think you prefer Manila by Night?  ??? I don't know hehehehe!
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:54 PM by sosy_high »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1561 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 09:56 PM »
it's obvious right? don't get me wrong, both are great films it's just that at the time Manila By Night was the grittier film...

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1562 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 10:03 PM »
it's obvious right? don't get me wrong, both are great films it's just that at the time Manila By Night was the grittier film...

yah...its pretty obvious...yah Manila was grittier, but I prefer Maynila over Manila by Night...it's just that after I saw Maynila date, It really haunts me (pero hindi kasing tindi ng napanuod ko yung BATCH '81)...but yeah you're right, both films are masterpiece...

I missed the VCD of Manila by Night sa SM! May nakita ako date madame! pero di pa ako interested date! Grrrr! Kainis!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1563 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 10:11 PM »
Maynila is a lot more haunting... the last frame of Bembol roco was unforgettable. Batch '81 is also my favorite Mike de Leon... you should get the VCD of Manila By Night, it's one movie every film lover should have in their video collection...

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1564 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 10:18 PM »
Maynila is a lot more haunting... the last frame of Bembol roco was unforgettable. Batch '81 is also my favorite Mike de Leon... you should get the VCD of Manila By Night, it's one movie every film lover should have in their video collection...

Too Bad, naubos na ata ang mga copies...date as in madame talaga, same as with Cain and Abel...ngaun, I only see Relasyon, Babae sa Bintana and a few Cain and Abel...no Manila by Night! pero malay naten bumalik...

Yah, the last frame of Bembol was really unforgettable...

Batch '81 is a classic! That very haunting Alpha Kappa Omega themesong keeps on playing inside my head!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1565 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 10:24 PM »
any of the classics are worth collectimg so if you still don't have any of the aforementioned titles, grab then while you can..

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1566 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 10:30 PM »
any of the classics are worth collectimg so if you still don't have any of the aforementioned titles, grab then while you can..

I have:

Minsa'y Isang gamu Gamo
Sister Stella L
Batch '81
'Merika
Relasyon
Karnal
Macho Dancer
Bayaning 3rd World
Sibak
Miguelito: Ang Batang Rebelde
Segurista
Burlesk Queen

I wanted to collect more classic filipino films!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1567 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 10:36 PM »
there's still a lot more out there like Ikaw Ay Akin, some Danny Zialcita movies as well. great way to start building your own video collection...

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1568 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 10:41 PM »
there's still a lot more out there like Ikaw Ay Akin, some Danny Zialcita movies as well. great way to start building your own video collection...

Does Nagalit ang Buwan sa Haba ng Gabi available in VCD/DVD?

tomorrow I will bought Pasan ko ang daigdig, Madrasta and some sharon flicks

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1569 on: Jul 27, 2007 at 07:31 AM »
i believe Nagalit is available on VCD...

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1570 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 12:25 PM »
Who among the tres-marias, the better filmmaker? Joel Lamangan, Gil Portes, Mel Chionglo? We bumped into these three people during the Cinemalaya at the CCP.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2007 at 12:27 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1571 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 12:32 PM »
it's a difficult question, just like trying to pick from a trio of rotten apples... most probably Mel Chionglo for his impressive film debut Playgirl in 1981 he then made Teenage Marriage and Sinner Or Saint both in 1984 until his directing skills took a nosedive in the 90's up to the present...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1572 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 12:36 PM »
Joel Lamangan has BAKIT MAY KAHAPON PA? Gil Portes has MS. X and MULANAY. Mel Chinglo tops on my lists.....his impressive film debut PLAYGIRL, SINNER OR SAINT and TEENAGE MARRIAGE prove that he can deliver the goods, not counting his visual flair for production design (GUMISING KA MARUJA, ITIM, TEMPTATION ISLAND).

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1573 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 12:41 PM »
i wouldn't consider Bakit May Kahapon Pa? as Lamangan's best, he hasn't come up with one yet... as for Gil Portes, he did 'Merika which benefited from an excellent screenplay while Miss X was less convoluted than Carnival Queen both films were just unbearable to watch and Mulanay's biggest failure was characterization or lack thereof.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1574 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 12:45 PM »
Who among the tres-marias, the better filmmaker? Joel Lamangan, Gil Portes, Mel Chionglo? We bumped into these three people during the Cinemalaya at the CCP.  ;D

Definetely Mel Chionglo

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1575 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 12:51 PM »
i wouldn't consider Bakit May Kahapon Pa? as Lamangan's best, he hasn't come up with one yet... as for Gil Portes, he did 'Merika which benefited from an excellent screenplay while Miss X was less convoluted than Carnival Queen both films were just unbearable to watch and Mulanay's biggest failure was characterization or lack thereof.

Forgot MERIKA as one of Portes' best definitely. MULANAY's biggest asset was the casting of Gina Alajar and Jaclyn Jose.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1576 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 12:58 PM »
Forgot MERIKA as one of Portes' best definitely. MULANAY's biggest asset was the casting of Gina Alajar and Jaclyn Jose.

Mulanay's famillar...hmmm..tungkol saan itong movie na ito?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1577 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 12:58 PM »
although the characters were two dimensional, both actresses gave noteworthy performances. Mulanay had good intentions but something went wrong somewhere...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1578 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 01:05 PM »
Maybe the script of Alix? MULANAY is about a doctor who came to a barrio and how she cope up with the people and her life.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1579 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 01:08 PM »
^It really sounds famillar....hmmm....

Well I think 'Merika wasn't that good, saved by Nora's great performance...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1580 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 01:12 PM »
you have to experience life in the US to undesrtand 'Merika

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1581 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 01:13 PM »
you have to experience life in the US to undesrtand 'Merika

Just my two cents...its been a long time since Ive seen the flick (yung VCD q nga nyan may seal pa, d ko pa pinapanood, hehehehe) maybe cguro ngaung mature na ako magugustuhan ko naren siya...

Offline Elle Nino

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1582 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 01:42 PM »
Hello to everyone...

Gusto ko ang usaping ito, sali ako..First time ko na magpost...

Para sa akin, si Gil Portes among the 3 ang pipiliin ko. Nagustuhan ko ang 'Merika, Andrea, at Mga Munting Tinig. Si Lamangan, para sa akin ay overrated. Paulit-ulit lang ang napapanood ko sa mga ginawa niya.  Si Chionglo, ang nagustuhan ko lang ay Sinner or Saint. Sumakit ang ulo ko sa Twilight Dancers (tapos nandoon pa si Lamangan who was soooo annoying) ,Sibak, Burlesk King, Lahar, Babaing Hampaslupa.

Hi Jojo. This is Nino from San Francisco

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1583 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 02:23 PM »

Quote from: sosy_high, posted today at 01:13 PM
Just my two cents...its been a long time since Ive seen the flick (yung VCD q nga nyan may seal pa, d ko pa pinapanood, hehehehe) maybe cguro ngaung mature na ako magugustuhan ko naren siya...

Hey, guess what? Just watched 'Merika VCD last night. I think your appreciation with this movie begins when you watch it again and again. But that's just me. Or, yes you have to experience it yourself to embrace the movie. I admit at first that I don't get why the movie is being hailed but then again I was too young then, eventually, the movie grows on you. I had a sister who has a family who lives on the same city and state: Jersey City, New Jersey. They would tell me what kind of life they have there. I may also say that I was able to travel outside the country na rin and even if the location is only an Asian country, I could feel what those filipino's felt when they were not in their own country.

I think 'Merika is Portes' best.
  :)

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1584 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 04:47 PM »
Nasaan si Francis?
Gabby Fernandez

Just saw the dvd and what can I say?  Whoah, the transfer is really great, so typical of the new pinoy dvd releases that I've been seeing lately.
Basically that's the only good thing that I can say about this movie.  For me it it's a total waste of time seeing it.  "Weekend at Bernie's" at least is in parts funny.  This is not!

And Boyet de Leon trying to do a John Travolta...revolting!

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2007 at 04:48 PM by rse »

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1585 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 07:17 PM »

CinemaOne will have their KOOL PINOY KLASSIKS 2ND ANNUAL CINEMA ONE CLASSICS FILM FESTIVAL come August 1-5 at SM Megamall. It will showcase the films of Dolphy (Captain Barbell), Charito Solis (Malvarosa), Dolphy and Wengweng (Da Best in The West), Nora Aunor (Bona), Dina Bonnevie (Temptation Island), Charo Santos (Kakabakaba Ka Ba?), Alma Moreno (nympha) among others. You can check out CinemaOne.tv for further screenings.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1586 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 07:28 PM »

I was quite surprised and literally got goosebumps when I saw Charito Solis in full 'Our Lady of Lourdes' regalia as it was published today in The Philippine Star (July 29, 2007), featured in Remember When? column. She is indeed a saint personified in the said pictorial. ANG LANGIT SA LUPA (1968) is the title of the film where she appeared as the aforementioned saint. Is the print still existing?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1587 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 08:18 PM »
Hello to everyone...

Gusto ko ang usaping ito, sali ako..First time ko na magpost...

Para sa akin, si Gil Portes among the 3 ang pipiliin ko. Nagustuhan ko ang 'Merika, Andrea, at Mga Munting Tinig. Si Lamangan, para sa akin ay overrated. Paulit-ulit lang ang napapanood ko sa mga ginawa niya.  Si Chionglo, ang nagustuhan ko lang ay Sinner or Saint. Sumakit ang ulo ko sa Twilight Dancers (tapos nandoon pa si Lamangan who was soooo annoying) ,Sibak, Burlesk King, Lahar, Babaing Hampaslupa.

Hi Jojo. This is Nino from San Francisco

hello Nino!

finally you're here! i did like 'Merika and some of Gil Portes' earlier works like Sa Piling Ng Mga Sugapa and Wanted Wives. i also loved Pusong Uhaw and Bukas May Pangarap but like 'Merika, both films benefited from an amazing screenplay. Mel Chionglo on the other hand didn't simply follow the script of the films i mentioned earlier but he took the material and gave the movies it's own unique look...

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1589 on: Jul 29, 2007 at 08:42 PM »

Classics, Blocksbusters and Indie Gems Run in Cinema One’s KOOL PINOY KLASSIKS

Premiere Pinoy Movie Cable Channel Cinema One continues its bid for cinematic domination with the 2nd Annual Kool Pinoy Klassiks Celebration kicking off starting August 1 to August 5 at the Cinema 1 of the SM Megamall.
With the success of Cinema One's Anniversary Classic Film Festival last year, Cinema One this time features a combination of hit independent, digital and mainstream films. Select films to run also feature stars that initially stratosphered them to celebrity prominence. An added feature will be a sentimental tribute to Regal's beloved director Joey Gosiengfiao whereby the audience is afforded the opportunity to get into the persona of a filmmaker whose perspectives reflect through his playful movies and their distinct appeal. The festival also salutes the best of LVN Pictures, the hilarious humor of Dolphy in his comedy films and the best horror movies of Philippine cinema.

Kool Pinoy Klassiks will kick off on August 1 Wednesday, starting with Captain Barbell starring Comedy King Dolphy and Lotis Key in one of their more popular hits together. Dolphy stars in the title role, with Ting-Ting as his alter ego because of his rid-thinness. Little did anybody know he has the superpowers that could save mankind. The beautiful classic Malvarosa is programmed at mid-afternoon. This 1958 LVN classic stars Charito Solis who portrays a character whose strength of spirit made her a triumphant survivor amidst life’s burdens. In the evening will be the Cinema One Originals' Pandanggo. This digifilm stars Chin Chin Gutierrez and Raymond Bagatsing who get entangled in the interspersing of three different stories. Finally closing the day will be La Paloma - a drama that sets Celia Rodriguez against her sister who is her greatest rival in everything.

August 2, Thursday will be opened by Da Best in the West with Dolphy, Weng Weng and Lito Lapid in their first and last successful screen trio by RVQ Productions in 1981. After that will be the Cinema One 2006 digifilm Raket Ni Nanay starring Mark Gil, Sarsi Emmanuel and Archie Adamos who are connected by their struggles and compromises they give into. This will be followed by Mutya ng Pasig, the 1950 LVN classic starring Jose Padilla, Jr. and Rebecca Gonzales. Next in the lineup is Rekados, the Cinema One Original 2006 finalist by director Paolo Herras starring Meryl Soriano, Eula Valdez and Boots Anson Roa whose stories are intertwined by their romantic lives. Final film for the day is Regal Film’s 1980 sensual classic Bedspacers starring Alma Moreno and Rio Locsin.

Friday August 3 starts with the RVQ comic hit Fefita Fofongay starring Dolphy and Rosanna Ortiz. One of Star Cinema’s highest grossing films Feng Shui follows after, headed by Kris Aquino, who accidentally picks up a lone bagua mirror unknown initially and causes compromising advents of good and bad lucks. Shortly after will be the classic Kundiman ng Lahi. This 1959 LVN classic of director Lamberto Avellana stars Charito Solis, Eddie Rodriguez, Joseph de Cordova and Rosa Aguirre in a tale of difficult lives meeting difficult choices for the redemption of oneself. At 5:30 pm will be Sa North Diversion Road, a Cinema One 2006 digifilm starring Irma Adlawan and John Arcilla in a tale of infidelity of many different ways, through many different roads. The next will be Biyaya ng Lupa starring Rosa Rosal, Tony Santos, Leroy Salvador, Joseph de Cordova and Marita Zobel. This classic is one of the Filipino gems exhibited in an international film festival and won acclaims and awards and noticed for its cast. The night will be capped by the amusing Nights of Serafinastarring Georgia Ortega, John Apacible, Mike Magat and a young Angelika dela Cruz. This 1996 Regal Films camp is where the trademark gay-ish line ‘walang nangyari sa barko!’ marked to pop consciousness.

Earliest for Saturday August 4 will be Katorse. This 1980 Regal Film classic gem placed Dina Bonnevie to stardom with a raw yet effective performance of a rich girl gone wild who pays a horrifying price for it in the end. This is followed by the action comedy Dolphy’s Angels with Carmi Martin and Yellen Catral. This 1980 RVQ Productions hit sets the John & Marsha popularity to another dimension when Dolphy becomes a secret agent to solve a crime alongside his lovely consorts. Huk Sa Bagong Pamumuhay follows right after. It stars Jose Padilla, Jr. and Celia Flor. Next will be the digifilm The Woven Stories of the Other. The 1980 great Lino Brocka film Bona is next, starring Nora Aunor and Philip Salvador. Here’s where idolatry and blind romance lead to a horrifying crime by the so-called weak. Finale film of the day is Tempatation Island. This Joey Gosengfiao masterpiece which stars Dina Bonnevie, Azenith Briones, Jennifer Cortez, Deborah Sun and Bambi Arambulo revolves around these women whose personal idiosyncrasies set the story’s amusing pace when they get lost in an isolated island.

The last day of Kool Pinoy Klassiks, August 5, Sunday will be lead by La Paloma and followed by Kakabakaba Ka Ba?with Christopher de Leon and Charo Santos in 1980. Badjao, an LVN gem in 1957 stars Rosa Rosal and Tony Santos follows right after. The event will be culminated by no less than the classic film, Mutya ng Pasig.

The 2nd Annual Kool Pinoy Klassiks is helmed and produced by Cinema One in its fervent support for local entertainment. It is one of the strongest channels of CPI (Creative Programs, Incorporated), a subsidiary of ABS-CBN, which prides itself as a content company.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2007 at 08:43 PM by Jojo Devera »