Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 498182 times)

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1980 on: Aug 03, 2008 at 01:28 AM »

Seen previews of Vic's and Dolphy's DOBOL TROBOL and I don't find it funny at all. Both actors look tired. Hopefully, the movie is way better than its trailer. :(

Offline demented_

• Apprentice
  • http://dementedguy.wordpress.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1981 on: Aug 03, 2008 at 08:21 PM »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1982 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 12:14 AM »

Offline demented_

• Apprentice
  • http://dementedguy.wordpress.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1983 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 03:51 PM »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1984 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 05:43 PM »
Kidlat Tahimik´s Mababangong bangungot (Perfumed Nightmare)
I am not really exposed to a lot of non classical films.  Perfumed Nightmare is one of a handful that I’ve seen.   Actually this is only the second full feature that I’ve seen so far.  The first was Indio Nacional.
 So what do I think of this movie?  It’s crude, clumsy, and amateurish yet you admire it for these qualities. And like what I expect for a non-classical film, it’s full of symbolisms.
One thing that bothered me though was that when he was abroad, he stayed mostly in Paris.  It would have worked better if he went straight to NYC.  I’m assuming that the grant came from France, and that he was invited to come, took advantage of the visit and shoot some portions of the film there.

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2008 at 05:44 PM by rse »

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1985 on: Aug 07, 2008 at 12:43 AM »
My Top 10 Filipino Films of the Decade:

1. Pisay (2007)
2. Kubrador (2006)
3. Tuhog (2002)
4. Endo (2007)
5. Hesus rebolusyonaryo (2002)
6. Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo (2006)
7. Pepot Artista (2005)
8. Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros (2005)
9. Milan (2003)
10. Anak (2000)

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1986 on: Aug 07, 2008 at 02:50 AM »
Just saw Chito Rono's Kasalanan bang sambahin ka.  I think I've seen this movie a while back when I was younger.  It's a variation of Fatal Attraction.  It stars the lovely Vivian Velez, Dawn Zulueta, and Julio Diaz.   It’s actually better than what I remember it to be.  Although I didn’t like the subplot involving her mom and dying aunt.  That’s a bit overdone and might even be unnecessary. The last part is your typical Hollywood ending.  Still most of it is very watchable, and the love scenes are quite good, even with very limited nudity.
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2008 at 02:51 AM by rse »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1987 on: Aug 07, 2008 at 05:19 PM »

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1988 on: Aug 08, 2008 at 02:15 AM »
My Top 10 Filipino Films of the Decade:

1. Pisay (2007)
2. Kubrador (2006)
3. Tuhog (2002)
4. Endo (2007)
5. Hesus rebolusyonaryo (2002)
6. Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo (2006)
7. Pepot Artista (2005)
8. Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros (2005)
9. Milan (2003)
10. Anak (2000)

Interesting choices sosy_high. :)

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1989 on: Aug 08, 2008 at 02:17 AM »
and the love scenes are quite good, even with very limited nudity.

Yes, still very sexy even with clothes on!

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1990 on: Aug 08, 2008 at 08:11 PM »
        Interesting choices sosy_high. :)

I haven't seen many films that considered "great" this decade eh like Batang West Side, Ebulusyon etc.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1991 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 02:58 PM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1992 on: Aug 31, 2008 at 08:10 PM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1994 on: Sep 04, 2008 at 04:21 PM »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1995 on: Sep 04, 2008 at 08:09 PM »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1996 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 10:22 AM »
Toronto fest exec hails RP movies

By Ruben V. Nepales
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 21:23:00 09/06/2008

Toronto fest exec hails RP movies
 As the Venice Film Festival winds down, the mass migration from the Lido to Toronto, which has become an annual tradition among many Hollywood folks, is in full swing.

After opening the Venice fest, George Clooney, Brad Pitt and their film “Burn After Reading” have moved on to the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) where their comedy is also a main attraction. Joel and Ethan Coen, switching gears after their grim “No Country For Old Men” won the Oscar Best Picture (and a Best Director trophy as well) early this year, return to comedy with a tale about idiots in Washington, DC.

George, who worked with the Coen brothers in two earlier films, “Intolerable Cruelty” and “O Brother, Where Art Thou?,” said: “Joel and Ethan call it my trilogy of idiots. It’s the third of the idiots that I’ve played with them. The only thing that made me feel better was that Brad Pitt is as stupid as I am in this one ... ”

Screening ‘Bayan Ko’

When Lino Brocka’s “Bayan Ko: Kapit sa Patalim” is shown here on Tuesday, Sept. 9, 9:30 p.m. at the Jackman Hall as part of “Dialogues: Talking with Pictures” section, it is in observance of the 10th death anniversary of David Overbey, credited as one of the first writers and festival programmers to champion Philippine cinema. Journalist Joan Dupont, whose 1981 interview with Lino in Manila for Le Monde was arranged by David, will present the film which stars Phillip Salvador, Gina Alajar, Paquito Diaz and Claudia Zobel.

We learned about the interesting way in which David first saw a Filipino film, Lino’s masterpiece, “Insiang,” and how he eventually met the late great director, as recounted in a 1996 article by Eric Cabahug for the Manila Times’ Sunday Times Magazine.

Discovering ‘Insiang’

Eric wrote: “It was one particularly sunny day in 1978 when the ‘accident’ happened and the ‘discovery’ was made. At a small-scale international film festival in a Canadian suburb, David was invited to a screening of a French film in a building which had a dozen identical audio-visual rooms. Without looking hard at the number posted on the door, he crept into one room, plopped himself down a seat, and waited for the screening to begin. Soon enough, the lights were put out and the film began playing. Then, reading the film’s opening credits, he realized that he was in the wrong room.

“He had read nothing that was in French and the film’s title was not what he had expected to see splashed on that particular screen. It was a foreign name in some alien language. ‘Insiang.’ And credited as director was Lino Brocka, somebody he had never heard before.

“Since the film had already begun, David decided he’d stay awhile and see what this Brocka guy and his ‘Insiang’ had to offer. To his delighted surprise, he found himself hooked right away. Then he decided to continue watching. ‘The hell with the other film; this is pretty good,’ David recalls saying in his mind as he was drawn deeper and moved by the ‘powerful, wonderful’ Filipino domestic drama.

Meeting Brocka

“…That initial contact with Filipino cinema would not be followed until a year later when, en route to Australia for a writing job, David’s plane stopped over in Manila … ‘Insiang. Lino Brocka,’ he recalls thinking. Immediately he told a flight attendant he’s getting off and instructed her to take his luggage off the plane. What happened next was something straight out of a movie: David got off the plane, looked up Lino’s name in the phone book, called him, told him vaguely who he was, that he had seen ‘Insiang,’ that he was ‘most impressed,’ and that he wanted to see him. Brocka came to pick him up at the Manila International Airport, took him to his house where he stayed for two weeks — ‘as I did year after year,’ he offers — and introduced him to the denizens of movielandia.” In becoming familiar with folks from Nora Aunor, Rosanna Roces to then censors chief Manuel Morato, David also got to know the shenanigans in local show biz.

Eric, whom we contacted via e-mail about his article, said about David, “For a foreigner, he knew a lot about Philippine cinema ...

“I remember him as a big, imposing man,” Eric said of his impression of David, who fell in love with the Philippines and kept coming back for a period that covered almost two decades...” David confessed to Eric that “Biyaya,” Rosa Rosal’s 1950s melodrama, never failed to make him cry. He considered this classic tearjerker one of the best Filipino films along with the likes of Ishmael Bernal’s “Himala,” Brocka’s “Bona,” “Jaguar” and “Bayan Ko…”

Eric informed us that he himself has become a screenwriter — his first script, “Dayo,” has been turned into what he described as “the first all-digital Filipino animated film” and is an entry in the Metro Manila Film Festival come December.

‘Uncompromising’
Here’s what David wrote in 1985 about the film that will be screened in Toronto in his honor: “‘Bayan Ko: My Own Country’ was the well-deserved recipient of last year’s prestigious British Film Institute Award for most outstanding film, and it is not difficult to see why: The film is uncompromising in its vision of present-day Filipino society. Set against the backdrop of Benigno Aquino’s assassination, ‘Bayan Ko’ tells its story of a young printer (Salvador) whose life is a series of rapidly diminishing options. His pregnant wife needs expensive medicine and, because of this and the strike at his factory, Turing is eventually lured into a life of crime by a small-time hood. Widely acclaimed as the Filipino Man of Irony, Brocka’s film also manages to suggest how, given a different social and economic system, Turing’s fate might have been altered.”

David died of heart attack on Dec. 16, 1998.

We asked Noah Cowan (former co-director of the TIFF and now the artistic director of Bell Lightbox, the future home of the festival), who was responsible for creating the Vanguard programme, where Dante Mendoza’s controversial “Serbis” is an official selection, for his opinion on whether “Bayan Ko” has stayed relevant, 24 years after it was made by Lino.

He replied, “‘Bayan Ko’ is, unfortunately, as relevant today as it was then. Oppression, poverty and the will to overcome misery are still daily realities all over the world. As our planet becomes richer, more and more people are left behind to fend for themselves and yet there is little collective action. ‘Bayan Ko’ reminds us how much stronger we are as a global civilization if we think and act together.”

When we pressed Noah to share some of the interesting tidbits that perhaps Joan Dupont has shared with him about interviewing Brocka in Manila, he answered, “Joan is keeping her cards close to her chest. I can’t wait to hear all about it.”

Noah said of David, “He loved the Filipino people and engaged with the country in various political and personal ways. He had always intended on living out his last days there and insisted that his ashes be spread on the beaches of Cebu when he died (which they were — you never contradicted David).

“Regarding Filipino cinema in particular, David (and his successors) saw the Philippines as one of the few places that was invigorating and reinterpreting the social realist European cinemas of the post-World War II period. Through the judicious infusion of melodrama and a belief in exploring the specific cultural realities of the country, Filipino filmmakers continue to make a compelling, audience-friendly yet artistically meaningful contribution to world cinema.

Champion of RP cinema

“David was also delighted that the Philippines led the world courageously in the frank exploration of homosexuality in the non-Western world. The aesthetics and themes of films like ‘Macho Dancer’ have been well-copied in the surrounding region and further afield ever since.

On how TIFF has kept David’s legacy in championing Philippine cinema, Noah sounded enthusiastic: “The Philippines continues to inspire us to devote more programming resources to the region. This year, we announced the hiring of Raymond Phanathavirangoon to supervise our programming there. He is a champion of Filipino cinema and is partially responsible for bringing ‘Serbis,’ the new film of Brillante Mendoza, to the competition of the Cannes Film Festival this past May and to us for its North American premiere. Our commitment to emerging talent from the country continues and is this year embodied by ‘Adela’ by Adolfo Alix Jr.

“We are also inspired by the Filipino audience, both here and in the Philippines. When people are pressed for choice between video games, TV and other forms of visual culture, Filipinos continue to be great supporters of the cinema experience, a belief that culture is to be shared as a community engaged in meaningful discourse around a work of art. That is Lino Brocka’s — and David Overbey’s — legacy to us and we take it very seriously.”

« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2008 at 10:23 AM by keating »

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1997 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 11:36 AM »
Lav Diaz’s ‘Melancholia’ wins prize at Venice festival

By Ruben V. Nepales
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 10:29:00 09/07/2008

MANILA, Philippines -- The Philippines' "Melancholia" directed by Lav Diaz won the Orizzonti prize for feature film in the Venice Film Festival.

Last year, Diaz won the Special Mention in the Orizzonti for his documentary "Encantos."

"Melancholia" according to Diaz is an 8-plus hour meditation on love, life and suffering.

It was shot in various locations around the Philippine countryside.

source

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1998 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 02:07 AM »
Just saw the DVD release of Oro, Plata Mata.  This is actually the first time that I saw this film uncut.  The first time I saw this was from a taped showing at Cinema One. There are actually a lot of stuff cut in the TV version.  The movie is quite explicit in nudity, sex and violence (lots of which are pretty gratuitous).  This time around I actually like it more but I still have a problem with the last act.  It's just way overlong.  And the "diwata" I think is out of place compared to the rest of the style of the movie.  The transfer actually is quite good (compared to the TV version that I saw), although sometimes it tends to shake (very mild though and almost negligible).  The big plus is that it has English subtitles.  The audio is ok,  but in some parts there were some drops, although watching it with subtitles help.  Watching it the first time I thought that this is a good movie and a bit overrated...now I understand the admiration.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1999 on: Sep 14, 2008 at 01:02 PM »
Kuh Ledesma's character in ORO was longer in the 5-hour cut but it was left already in the cutting floor. She would appear to signal a bad omen and impending doom.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2000 on: Sep 14, 2008 at 07:07 PM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2001 on: Sep 16, 2008 at 05:38 PM »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2002 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 12:58 AM »
Kuh Ledesma's character in ORO was longer in the 5-hour cut but it was left already in the cutting floor. She would appear to signal a bad omen and impending doom.

Yep I get what she's supposed to signal,  I just feel that the character doesn't fit the style of the rest of the movie, which is presented in a very realistic fashion.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2003 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 08:38 AM »
The Philippine Independent Filmmakers Multi-purpose Cooperative (IFC) and Robinsons Movieworld presents:

sineKlasiks: Ang Mga Natatanging Pelikula ni Rosa Rosal.

Featuring Anak Dalita (directed by Lamberto V. Avellana, 1956), Badjao (directed by Lamberto Avellana, 1957), Biyaya ng Lupa (directed by Manuel Silos, 1959).

September 17-23, 2008, indieSine, Robinsons Galleria.

The opening night (Sept17, Wednesday) will have cocktails at 6pm to be followed by the screening of Anak Dalita.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2004 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 05:50 PM »

Offline northern portrait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2005 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 05:57 PM »
Batang West Side (West Side Avenue, Lav Diaz, 2001)

Nice! I have to defer reading it though until I've seen the film. Saan mo napanuud? Bootleg copies of Lav Diaz's films (i.e. Heremias, Death in the Land of Encantos) are starting to surface on the web.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2008 at 06:06 PM by northern portrait »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2006 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:22 PM »
Really? Pity. The guy's starving enough as it is. Maybe bootleg downloaders should donate to him  some amount, out of gratitude (maybe Lav should put up a paypal account--?).

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2007 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:39 PM »
Funny though, the dvds of Diaz's films aren't really widely distributed, only to his friends and admirers. I've also seen bootlegs of Raya Martin's films online.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline northern portrait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2008 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:51 PM »
Really? Pity. The guy's starving enough as it is. Maybe bootleg downloaders should donate to him  some amount, out of gratitude (maybe Lav should put up a paypal account--?).

The Heremias bootleg is a suspiciously decent rip: it looks like a leak from someone in Diaz's circle, one who has access to his editing computer (the film is prefaced by a still generated in Final Cut Pro and it is divided very neatly into one-hour increments.)

The Death in the Land of Encantos bootleg is a capture of an Italian tv program (Fuori Orario ).  This one is currently being spread on emule.

I agree, Lav should be remunerated. The paypal account is a good idea, someone should bring it up with him.  

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2009 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 02:25 PM »
That's a shame about Lav's films being bootlegged. I wonder if he knows about it.