Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 498274 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2130 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 01:38 PM »
I always thought Brocka's ost successful gothic was the third segment in Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa, again starring Lolita.

Actually, I've always considered Ina Ka to be Brocka's Mizoguchi film. Transcendent middle class melodrama.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2131 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 02:08 PM »
Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa -- that one I really have to watch. Thanks for reminding me. I'll try to buy the DVD this weekend.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2132 on: Jan 31, 2009 at 04:08 AM »
Speaking of Sharon, I just recently revisited Bukas Luluhod ang mga Tala.  Bought it from Manila for 150 pesos (a bargain).  I thought that this was the movie with the famous "copycat" line by Cherie Gil.  I was mistaken (so which one is that again??)...  Anyways I didn't remember that this movie is long.  Actually it's more than 2 hours long!  It's your quintiseential komiks movie...still it has its charm if you tolerate these kinds of movies... and actually the DVD transfer is not bad at all for this movie's age.

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #2133 on: Jan 31, 2009 at 05:26 AM »
"Youre nothing but a 2nd rate trying hard copycat!" is from "Bituing Walang Ningning" which was recently re-made as a teleserye

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2134 on: Jan 31, 2009 at 11:07 AM »
Yung mga iniidolo kong posters dito sa Pinoy Entertaiment, Sir Noel Vera, Sir Keating and Sir Jojo, ano po ba tingin niyo kina Sharon Cuneta. Maricel Soriano and Lolita Rodriguez bilang mga artista? Salamat po  ;)

I like Maricel a lot in Bernal's HINUGOT SA LANGIT and yes also in THE GRADUATES. IKAW PA LANG ANG MINAHAL by Carlitos Siguion-Reyna was also worthy. Her comic versatility cannot be ignored in GALAWGAW, INDAY BOTE and JACK EN POY. She was a stand out in the seduction scene in that room with Mark Gil in Gosiengfiao's coming-of-age film UNDERAGE, those eyes, lips and that flawless skin she can be a sex symbol of sort.

Sharon excels in CRYING LADIES and MADRASTA. Sharon cannot be a sex symbol.

Lolita Rodriguez no doubt about it.....she has done classic films already that can stood the test of time. My fave in descending order....TATLO DALAWA ISA, TINIMBANG KA NGUNIT KULANG, INA KA NG ANAK MO and INA KAPATID ANAK.

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2009 at 11:10 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2135 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 07:47 PM »
"Youre nothing but a 2nd rate trying hard copycat!"

That really needs Cherie Gil's incomparable delivery to complete it. Even with emphasis provided I can only sketch what she accomplished:

"You're nothing but a second-rate, trying hard copy cat!"

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2136 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 10:40 AM »
How come nobody mention Brocka's PASAN KO ANG DAIGIDIG for Sharon?

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #2137 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 03:38 PM »
i just watched Oro Plata Mata on dvd and i couldn't help but wonder if they would've been better off staying in the city or in their rest house...anyone familiar with Negros WW2 history?
 i remember my grandparents were so afraid of the japanese that they moved to their relatives in pampanga and had my aunt ,who was a teenager then, wear a cap and boys clothes so that she wouldn't catch the eye of the japanese army.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2138 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 07:06 PM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: PARADISE INN
« Reply #2140 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 02:14 PM »
PARADISE INN (Celso Ad Castillo, 1985)

It was an entry to the 1985 MMFF those were the days where the celebrated festival created some gems, masterpieces and classic ones. Celso Ad Castillo at the peak of his prime after dabbling on the skin flicks notably SNAKE SISTERS and VIRGIN PEOPLE assembled a powerhouse cast in this melodramatic film. Lolita Rodriguez heads the cast as a matriarch who owns an inn in the domestic side of the metropolis. Her daughter Vivian Velez also helps her mom in running the place where you can have some booze, girls and gamble all in one place dubbed as the PARADISE INN. Trouble follows when the suitor of Vivian played by Dennis Roldan offered marriage to her.

It was your typical prostitution movie but not glamorized in a Gosiengfiao way. The opening scenes where the credits starts to roll you can already sense that The Kid is not playing with us, the editing done in the fashion style of his masterpiece PAGPUTI NG UWAK, PAGITIM NG TAGAK. What's interesting here are the characters that prey and visit the place. The late Lito Anzures as the alcoholic asst of Lolita, Robert Arevalo as the politician/lover, Armida Siguion Reyna as the feisty wife of the politician, Mary Walter the grandmother of Dennis Roldan, Michael de Mesa and wait there's Jinggoy Estrada as the cohort of Michael. Lensed by Romy Vitug, the long tracking shots are something to behold! The inn at night can be deceiving, haunted and tempting. The sequence where Vivian comes back to the place ascending the stairs is comparable to Rosanna Ortiz ready to settle the final score to Susan Roces in PATAYIN MO SA SINDAK SI BARBARA in the opposite way. The close-up shot of Vivian was full of despair, sadness and sympathy. Yes, the bombshell can act. While Ortiz face terrorized you in a revenge way.

Shot in Lemery, Batangas, Castillo is a true visualist. He draws out great performances from his entire cast and excels also in the technical aspects. Its time to revisit PARADISE INN.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2009 at 02:20 PM by keating »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #2141 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 09:44 PM »
Jay (Francis X. Pasion) ***1/2 - A friend of mine is the production designer of this film but I'm not going to let that cloud my judgement of this latest entry to a series of remarkable Filipino indie digital films. It's tough to describe the plot of this film within a film without spoiling too much, but it's starts off with a faux-documentary about a gay schoolteacher from the country named Jay who was brutally murdered in the city. A gay journalist also named Jay is the man behind the faux documentary. That's all I'm saying. This is worth a watch.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #2143 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM »
Just watched 2 filipinjo indie films in torrent form:

Sa Ilalim Ng Cogon (2006) - Julia Clarete, Yul Servo, Dido de la Paz - caper, double cross, mystery woman, maligno

SEB, Cyber Game of Love (2008) - Rhane Larrazabal - not bold nor x-rated. Several shorts. I particularly like the ones where the guy courts the girl inside an MMORPG fantasy world game.

Not your usual fare.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2144 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 02:22 PM »
Saw Cogon again and like it much better this time around. It's lovely, in some ways more ambitious than Altar (though I do think Altar's ultimately more moving). Ilarde's grown.

Offline Elle Nino

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2145 on: Feb 28, 2009 at 01:38 PM »
I saw Serbis last night at the New York Film Festival. It's the most repulsive piece of trash I've ever seen. What a waste of talent!

Serbis is playing in San Francisco.  I need to see it.  I have not read any SF critics review it. Jojo, email kita on my take on the movie

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2146 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 09:15 AM »
Just saw bits and pieces of Angelo Markado (finally!) couldn't really sit through it because of pressing deadlines. Anyone knows who wrote the Angela Markado script?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2147 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 09:43 AM »
I believe it's Pete Lacaba from the Carlos J. Caparas comics.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2148 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 09:47 AM »
Ah, cool then. If it's Lacaba then it's no wonder the dialogue flows smoothly and naturally and doesn't come out affected and stilted. Loved how the whole rape scene was shot. That was some genius cinematography. Unfortunately though, the print that Cinema One has looks like it was cut. There was a big jump in the sound from when Koronel was stripped and her lying on the ground. Dunno how much of the scene was cut so I don't if the original cut was more harrowing.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009 at 09:49 AM by indie boy »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2149 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 01:05 PM »
She's sodomized, and someone goes down on her, and she screams. That last part kind of doesn't make sense--hard enough for women to convince men to do that for them (or, looking at it from the other point of view, I can't see rapists, doing that to their victims--too submissive a position).

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Scrap MTRCB!
« Reply #2150 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 01:04 PM »
Armida: Scrap censors body

By Bayani San Diego Jr.
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 01:48:00 03/22/2009

THE LAW that created the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) should be evaluated again—or junked altogether.

That was Armida Siguion-Reyna—a former board chair—commenting on the row between the MTRCB and the University of the Philippines over permits for film showings.

Armida said the law is clear: “UP doesn’t need permits from the board,” because both “the UP charter and the Constitution protect academic freedom.”

Last month, current censors chief Marissa Laguardia sent a letter to UP president Emerlinda Roman, expressing concern over the “public and commercial exhibition of films at the UP Film [Institute] that have no corresponding permits.”

Armida cited Presidential Decree 1986, the Marcos-era law that created the MTRCB. There are three exemptions to this law, she said: The Cultural Center of the Philippines, foreign embassies and UP.

Not just Diliman

It’s not just Diliman that’s exempted, she said. “Even UP Visayas and UP Los Baños.”

Laguardia differed, saying there’s no law exempting UP and/or CCP.

The fact that tickets are allegedly sold in UP doesn’t make the screenings commercial or public,” Armida insisted. “What if [the organizers] need to raise funds?” As for the embassies, she said, they’re foreign territory and therefore not under the board’s jurisdiction.

Laguardia agreed with this, but noted that films included in festivals sponsored by embassies still pass through the board.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2009 at 01:07 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2151 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 09:15 AM »
LaGuardia needs a mental enema.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2152 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 07:17 PM »
A serious mental enema, Noel.

I remember they scrapped the showing of Gosiengfiao's NYMPHA at the Cinema One fest in Mega two years ago. Granted that Sm has no R-18 policy, Cinema One already concede with the deletions of some of the scenes in the film, to make it R-13, but MTRCB was firm in their decision not to show the film at all. They just panicked on Alma.

What can you expect in a film where a person is a nymphomaniac wreaking havoc in a household......?! they thought Alma will sing and dance ala Julie Andrews with the Von Trapp family in SOUND OF MUSIC.

Mothercraper!
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2009 at 07:20 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2153 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 12:39 AM »
Eddie Garcia as filmmaker, any thoughts?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2154 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 05:27 AM »
I'm..not a big fan. Earnest, rather clumsy. Old-fashioned eye and cutting, which is good, but the impression I get is that this is what he knows rather than this is what he stubbornly chooses to do. Acting in his films is excellent, though, and script is usually decently written and relevant.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2155 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 05:15 PM »
In celebration of Lino Brocka's 70th birthday and to commemorate Manunuri Agustin "Hammy" Sotto's death anniversary, the CCP will be screening a mini-retrospective of his films. Tentative date will be on Saturday, April 25th. Movies to be shown are Wanted: Perfect Mother, Tubog Sa Ginto, Santiago, Ina Ka Ng Anak Mo and White Slavery, more details will follow later.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2156 on: Apr 04, 2009 at 09:17 AM »
U.P. Film Center also screened last month two Brocka films.....HOT PROPERTY & AKIN ANG IYONG KATAWAN. Haven't seen both films.

HOT PROPERTY may be the man's first foray in the bold bandwagon during the heyday of the ECP flicks along with WHITE SLAVERY.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2157 on: Apr 04, 2009 at 12:21 PM »
Hot Property was a noir wannabe with Carmi Martin. I don't remember much erotica--does anyone? White Slavery is more an ECP type film (not very good, either).

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #2158 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 10:47 AM »
Oro, Plata, Mata (Peque Gallaga) **** - This sprawling over-3-hour epic concerns two upper-class families and the trial, tribulations and horrors they faced during World War II. I can best describe the film as being Gone With The Wind meets Apocalypse Now as family dramas, youth coming-of-age and romance meets the horrors of war. It's a near-flawless piece of work.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2159 on: Apr 18, 2009 at 02:00 AM »
Ataul for Rent.  A well-made indie movie.  Great acting from your familiar indie actors, although I didn't like Irma Adlawan's (but most of it I think is because of how her character is written).  Great technically and it nicely blends the traditional pinoy neo-realism with a few added new flavourings.