Author Topic: "Extended Warranty" Scam  (Read 1557 times)

Offline pioneer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kentobiminekekwek !!!

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: "Extended Warranty" Scam
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 07:37 PM »
share ko lang experience ko when i bought a digicam 3 yrs ago sa isang store sa park square...bigla nalang ayaw mag open nung camera after 4 months so i went to the store and they got the cam from me tas they asked me to call them after 3days.when i called sabi nila ung lens dw sira and i had to pay 14k. sabi nila mis use dw ung cause kasi may dent na dw ung camera. when they took the camera from me di man lang nila tinignan kung may damage tapos after 3 days may malaking dent na ung camera ko?!?!?!i demanded to speak to a manager or owner.tas bigla nalang ok na daw unit ko and ready for pick up.pag kuha ko ng unit ko may malaking dent nalang bigla sa side....i swore never to buy anything from that store again..

Offline pioneer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 09:08 AM »
share ko lang experience ko when i bought a digicam 3 yrs ago sa isang store sa park square...bigla nalang ayaw mag open nung camera after 4 months so i went to the store and they got the cam from me tas they asked me to call them after 3days.when i called sabi nila ung lens dw sira and i had to pay 14k. sabi nila mis use dw ung cause kasi may dent na dw ung camera. when they took the camera from me di man lang nila tinignan kung may damage tapos after 3 days may malaking dent na ung camera ko?!?!?!i demanded to speak to a manager or owner.tas bigla nalang ok na daw unit ko and ready for pick up.pag kuha ko ng unit ko may malaking dent nalang bigla sa side....i swore never to buy anything from that store again..
It's best to give us the name of the store. :)
Kentobiminekekwek !!!

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2007 at 05:35 PM »
pm nalang kta about name ng store :D baka kasi member ung may ari e... >:(

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2007 at 06:58 AM »
that's even better if he's a member so he can give his side.  giving the name of the store would benefit everyone to be cautious when buying there.

Anyway, here's my thought on warranties.  I would rather not bother with them.  My experience has always been disappointing when it comes to warranties. They can always invoke that warranty clause about problems not being covered due to misuse or abuse. You can dispute but its a waste of time because their word and judgement that you abused or misused the item is final. It all depends on the dealer.  If you have a customer-centric one, you're lucky.  We do not have enough consumer protection laws nor the teeth to implement any.  Unlike in the US, Canada and UK where consumers are well protected.  Customers don't even have to keep receipts.  The proof of purchase rests on the dealer,that's why every retailer has a computer database to know who bought what and when just based on the item serial number.  So the customer only needs to present the item for exchange, refund or repair.  No questions asked.  In this country, a customer presenting an item for return is looked down as an opportunist suspected of putting one over the store.  And you're lucky if you get the service at all.  Ofcourse there are exceptions.

In the US, warranties for many products like electrical and electronic items are actually optional.  You can purchase an item at really bargain price without one.  And ofcourse you can always buy warranties for additional costs, extended or regular.  Manufacturers want that because it's like getting a prepaid service.  For reliable names, you rarely would need them.

But if you are buying there and bringing the appliance here, those warranties are useless.  They are seldom if ever honored by the brand's local office, if there's one. Not even so-called international warranties.  Good luck though. 
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2007 at 07:09 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2007 at 03:24 PM »
pm nalang kta about name ng store :D baka kasi member ung may ari e... >:(

I suggest you post it, if not  you will get a never ending PM request for the store's name, isa na ako dun.  ;D And this might be your chance to talk to the owner in case he is a member and let them explain their side.

Warranty nowadays is beginning to be a marketing scheme, I bet some local stores do not even know how to spell "warranty". But sometimes if you insist and let them know what you are talking about, they give it naman. But always talk to a person who knows what he/she is saying .

Like for instance my newly bought 8months old SANYO ref, the bulb got busted, problem is, it uses A17 bulb, I dont really know what planet can I buy this. So I called SANYO to request for a replacement since its been a month and I haven't found one yet. Reply I got was it is not included in the warranty and I have to go to their shop and pay 75ph for that tiny bulb. When I reiterrated that the contract signed re warranty was "parts and service", isn't it that bulb is a "part" of the ref? A second reply, "wait lang sir........okay na palitan namin"  :-\

They will promise heaven and earth just for you to buy, but when trouble comes, you are left hanging in the air.

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 09:08 AM »
that's even better if he's a member so he can give his side.  giving the name of the store would benefit everyone to be cautious when buying there.

Anyway, here's my thought on warranties.  I would rather not bother with them.  My experience has always been disappointing when it comes to warranties. They can always invoke that warranty clause about problems not being covered due to misuse or abuse. You can dispute but its a waste of time because their word and judgement that you abused or misused the item is final. It all depends on the dealer.  If you have a customer-centric one, you're lucky.  We do not have enough consumer protection laws nor the teeth to implement any.  Unlike in the US, Canada and UK where consumers are well protected.  Customers don't even have to keep receipts.  The proof of purchase rests on the dealer,that's why every retailer has a computer database to know who bought what and when just based on the item serial number.  So the customer only needs to present the item for exchange, refund or repair.  No questions asked.  In this country, a customer presenting an item for return is looked down as an opportunist suspected of putting one over the store.  And you're lucky if you get the service at all.  Ofcourse there are exceptions.

In the US, warranties for many products like electrical and electronic items are actually optional.  You can purchase an item at really bargain price without one.  And ofcourse you can always buy warranties for additional costs, extended or regular.  Manufacturers want that because it's like getting a prepaid service.  For reliable names, you rarely would need them.

But if you are buying there and bringing the appliance here, those warranties are useless.  They are seldom if ever honored by the brand's local office, if there's one. Not even so-called international warranties.  Good luck though. 

Apple products have international warranties and all dealers honor them.  Of course, being in the Philippines, mas maganda yung service mo kung dito mo binili sa suking Apple reseller.

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 12:18 AM »
Hi defjam,
I know this thread has been idle for more than a month... I just read it now and am VERY curious as to the name of the shop which unleashed their shenanigans on you. 

many thanks!

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 06:58 AM »
im  still hoping that the name of this store is made public not just to give us better judgement on how stores deal with their buyers, but also to give the store owners a chance to know how their staff has been running their place, our moderators here are well balanced naman on these issues.
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 08:43 AM »
name names na yan!  ;D
LAKAD PILIPINAS: Explore the Philippines & Beyond