Author Topic: what's the best dvd player for panney 42pv70h?  (Read 1396 times)

Offline mr232

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
what's the best dvd player for panney 42pv70h?
« on: Jan 02, 2008 at 07:15 PM »
sirs,

am a newbie in this forum and basically a greenhorn in av equipment.

i recently acquired a panney 42pv70h. it's presently connected via component cables to one of those progressive scan sony dvd players that came free with a previously acquired sony drc crt.  given the above setup, i am already very impressed with the pic quality which in my opinion is already very close if not visually the same as hi def.  i have a couple of question please.  your expert opinions are very much appreciated.

would upgrading to an hdmi dvd player be worth it?  blu ray and hd is a bit out of my budget at this point besides the fact that content/matls for these cost an arm and a leg compared to dvds nowadays.

if hdmi is worth it? should i buy a sony (dvp-ns78h) for around 8K or panney (dv600) for around 7k?  what are the pros and cons of these 2 options if any?

happy new year and thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2008 at 07:18 PM by mr232 »

Offline nibblerizer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: what's the best dvd player for panney 42pv70h?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 07:18 PM »
sirs,

i recently acquired a panney 42pv70h. it's presently connected via component cables to one of those progressive scan sony dvd players that came free with a previously acquired sony drc crt.  given the above setup, i am already very impressed with the pic quality which in my opinion is already very close if not visually the same as hi def.  i have a couple of question please.  your expert opinions are very much appreciated.

would upgrading to an hdmi dvd player be worth it?  blu ray and hd is a bit out of my budget at this point besides the fact that content/matls for these cost and arm an a leg compared to dvds nowadays.

if hdmi is worth it? should a buy a sony (dvp-ns78h) for around 8K or panney (dv600) for around 6k?  what are the pros and cons of these 2 options if any?

pioneer dv600 is highly recommended.

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 07:34 PM »
Pioneer DV-400 is also excellent  :)
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 08:19 PM »
The Panny 42PV70 does a superb job in upscaling the picture from 480p sources (via component video).  For this reason (and while waiting for the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player I ordered from a fellow PDVDer), I got myself an LG DV246K from S&R for only P2450. After googling the code from the internet, I used the supplied remote to make the player region-free.  While the LG yields very respectable PQ, I intend to use the LG for regular DVD viewing (especially for my kids) and will use the HDMI HD-A2 for my personal HD DVD, R1 DVD and region-free DVD video viewing.   

If you are deciding between the Pioneer DV600/DV400 and the Philips HDMI DVD player, go for the Pioneer players since I noticed considerable lagging on the Philips player when the players are placed on 1080p upscaling mode.

;D

Offline captainbarbell

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 08:22 PM »
Pioneer DV-400 is also excellent  :)

And I guess the most economical... :)

Offline Tonmeister

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 01:27 PM »
sirs,

would upgrading to an hdmi dvd player be worth it?  blu ray and hd is a bit out of my budget at this point besides the fact that content/matls for these cost an arm and a leg compared to dvds nowadays.

if hdmi is worth it? should i buy a sony (dvp-ns78h) for around 8K or panney (dv600) for around 7k?  what are the pros and cons of these 2 options if any?

in my humble opinion, upgrading to an hdmi dvd player is not worth it. i compared it with component our and find no significant difference in picture quality between the two to justify the purchase.

in my case, i bought an hdmi dvd player because i want to simplify and clean up my connections. also, luma na rin kasi yung dvd player ko kaya ok lang bumili ng bago. i suggest that you borrow a hdmi dvd player from a friend or test it at your friendly appliance store so you can see for yourself. if i were you, just wait for hd technology to mature some more until it becomes more affordable for us mere mortals to engage in.

but if you want to follow my footsteps and just want to clean up your act (hehe), i bought a pioneer dv 400 -- best picture and sound quality for the price.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008 at 01:32 PM by Tonmeister »

Offline mr232

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 02:19 PM »
thanks for all your inputs

checked out pio dv400 and dv600 earlier today.  noticed that the only difference bet the two is that the dv600 has 5.1 out - is my observation accurate?

am asking bec there's a P1k diff in price and i'll not have any use for 5.1 since there's already a HT installed.  plan is just to replace the orig player.

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 02:30 PM »
I believe the DV600 plays SACD's too, while the 400 does not.  If this feature is important to you, you might consider it.
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Only Taxpayer's should Vote !
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 03:04 PM »
sirs,

We have the same TV.

My Opinion:  Forget all brands and go for Samsung 1080p7.  You can check all models in Ansons in front of Podium.  They have this Panasonic 42PV70H.  Ask them to get their pioneer, philips, and Samsung player.  Hook it up via HDMI to the Panasonic and see for yourself.  Bring your own original and copy movie.  See the picture quality.  One con though - ang panget ng remote.  I tested all DVD player upscalers there on the Pana 42pv70h before I decided which to buy.

Picture quality for this Samsung 1080p7 is the same as that of OPPO 981 found in the 4th floor of Rockwell.  Sound Dimension ata yun.  They also use Pana 42PV70H. 

Price : Php 5,999
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008 at 03:13 PM by Le_Stat »
Only tax payer's should vote !

Offline Tonmeister

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 03:06 PM »
thanks for all your inputs

checked out pio dv400 and dv600 earlier today.  noticed that the only difference bet the two is that the dv600 has 5.1 out - is my observation accurate?

am asking bec there's a P1k diff in price and i'll not have any use for 5.1 since there's already a HT installed.  plan is just to replace the orig player.

yes, the dv 600 has 5.1 out and plays sacds. both of these features are not important to me so i went with the dv400, sayang kasi yung 1k, pambili rin ng macdo. hehe.

again, the only benefit of the so-called upgrade for me is that it cleaned up my connections and replaced my old player. btw, my old dvd player is 4 years old :) i wouldn't bother replacing it if it was only 3 years old or less coz i don't see it's worth the $$$.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008 at 03:09 PM by Tonmeister »