Author Topic: Poll: What to do with Your HD DVD Player  (Read 8142 times)

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Poll: What to do with Your HD DVD Player
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 06:11 PM »
buy lots of cheap hd dvds...if it really goes obsolete :) then wait for a combo player thats cheap

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 05:57 AM »
Keeping my player!   ;D  Still a great gear for watching them HD DVDs and upscaling DVDs.   ;)

Offline j@y

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • ThuG LuviN'
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 11:51 PM »
Keeping my player!   ;D  Still a great gear for watching them HD DVDs and upscaling DVDs.   ;)

Same here with me. Sayang namam kung di ko gagamitin. Hangang nga may mga HD DVDs i will still be buying. ;D
LG Infinia 55LW5600 55" LED 3D
Onkyo TX-SR606
Sony SS-F7000
Sub - PA-120W 500w
Sony PS3

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:06 AM »
I'll keep on using my HD-A2 and buying HD-DVDs while HD-DVDs are still available and until my player conks out on me.  Present owners of Bluray players will have to upgrade their player later on anyway since the present generation of BD players cannot run the next generation of Bluray discs.  As suggested by the others, I might later buy a combo to take advantage of my HD-DVD collections.  By that time, HD-DVD players would be a lot cheaper owing to cheaper (or non-existent) licensing fees.

The game isn't over yet since most HD players and discs would be made in China where the cheaper HD-DVD format is apparently very popular with the huge Chinese market.

;D     
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:37 AM by tetablanco »

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 06:50 AM »
Uy Teta,

glad to hear your positive reaction  :)
considering Warner's shocking announcement was exactly the day after you just bought the HD-A2.
 ;)

Ok naman HD-A2 player mo?

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:28 PM »
it's times like these that i'm glad i chose to sit on the fence rather than jumping in with the hd bandwagon.  with new technology,  there's always that risk you end up with the losing format.  we learned the hard way with the beta format years ago when i collected a lot of movies in beta tapos naungusan lang ng vhs.  now all those beta tapes are stocked somewhere in the house gathering dust and whatever.  although im still not rushing to get myself a bd player  because there are still a lot of things that factor into the equation, one of which is my laziness to learn about the new format.  i guess i just feel threatened by the whole hdef craze kaya id rather turn a deaf ear rather than entertain the idea that i have to upgrade all over again. :-[
on a side note, as i said, im too lazy to learn and just a plain dinosaur when it comes to these kind of things, but ive always wondered what would happen if you used a hd player on a regular tv. would it work?  :-[   
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 01:24 PM by d45nu65+3R »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:49 PM »
although im still not rushing to get myself a bd player  because there are still a lot of things that factor into the equation, one of which is my laziness to learn about the new format. 

It's perfectly normal. :) Most ordinary J6P will wait it out until the dust is settled & prices to go down to a really "affordable" level. Some may wait a few years or more before deciding to embrace the new HD technology. And for most folks, they are more than happy with the current SD DVD quality. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:50 PM by pchin »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 04:48 PM »
I dont know about you guys but we had betamax in our house from 1978 until 1990, and in the 80s, all video shops in Metro Manila rented mostly betamax tapes only.  The only time I switched to VHS was when I migrated to Japan in 1990.   So IMO, the Filipinos in general were never affected badly by the VHS/Beta war.  Besides, it would be very difficult to keep magnetic tapes in working condition under the Philippines' hot and humid weather.

But DVDs, HD DVD and BDs, with proper care, mauuwa na kayo sa kakaulit before any of these media become totally unusable...and by that time, it wouldn't matter too much whether HD DVD players were gone already.  Just how exciting is the thought of re-watching say Transformers or Heroes in HD 5-10 years from now, after watching it for 10x anyway?  ..and an easy forecast...these media, whether it be HD DVD or BD can be easily copied in the future at very reasonable cost, thus allowing you to view the contents through another format or at least through your PC...ngayon pa nga lang 4.5-8.5GB hi-def movie rips are downloadable sa net days before their official release date.

As regards your question about using an HD player and an ordinary TV, it will work.  The analogy would probably be like connecting your hi-end amplifier to a PC speaker.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 09:23 PM »
I dont know about you guys but we had betamax in our house from 1978 until 1990, and in the 80s, all video shops in Metro Manila rented mostly betamax tapes only.  The only time I switched to VHS was when I migrated to Japan in 1990.   So IMO, the Filipinos in general were never affected badly by the VHS/Beta war.  Besides, it would be very difficult to keep magnetic tapes in working condition under the Philippines' hot and humid weather.

But DVDs, HD DVD and BDs, with proper care, mauuwa na kayo sa kakaulit before any of these media become totally unusable...and by that time, it wouldn't matter too much whether HD DVD players were gone already.  Just how exciting is the thought of re-watching say Transformers or Heroes in HD 5-10 years from now, after watching it for 10x anyway?  ..and an easy forecast...these media, whether it be HD DVD or BD can be easily copied in the future at very reasonable cost, thus allowing you to view the contents through another format or at least through your PC...ngayon pa nga lang 4.5-8.5GB hi-def movie rips are downloadable sa net days before their official release date.

As regards your question about using an HD player and an ordinary TV, it will work.  The analogy would probably be like connecting your hi-end amplifier to a PC speaker.

Good point.

Sa probinsya namin, may naging biznes dun. Yung may betamax tapos bayad ka para manood ng sine. Tawag dun ay "betahan." That was a marketer's dream. Parang Colgate, Frigidaire, Kodak ...

Unfortunately, the Philippines is only a very small part of this world and betamax died on us!

My problem is that an HD-DVD player has moving parts and all moving parts have a life. Pag namatay yan, e di patay na. And that actually includes a lot of electronic components kasi may limits din sila sa buhay nila.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 10:12 PM »
 Yung players nowadays aren't as solid built as before. Kaya when they do breakdown you have a large paperweight since walang may alam paano magayos. Yung mga disc naman instant coasters kung wala kang mahanap na kapalit na player :D :D :D

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 11:53 PM »
Uy Teta,

glad to hear your positive reaction  :)
considering Warner's shocking announcement was exactly the day after you just bought the HD-A2.
 ;)

Ok naman HD-A2 player mo?

Hi Juancho,

The HD-A2 I got from you works perfectly - especially after I upgraded the firmware to v2.7.  Even before buying it, I already had a small but growing collection of HD-DVD titles due to the XBOX 360 HD-DVD add-on I got.  Please check again if the HD-A2 is covered by the 5 free HD-DVD promo (baka meron promo card inside the original packaging) so we can avail of it.  The Toshiba website says the promo covers all HD-DVD players purchased within the promo period.  Sayang din yun.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 11:55 PM by tetablanco »

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 02:54 AM »
Thanks Teta,
I will confirm with my friend about the 5 free HD-DVD's.
I am very glad the player works perfectly, and that you are happy with it, anyway as long as the HD-DVD format is alive......
more power to HD-DVD. :) :) :)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 06:52 AM »
Anybody interested with a brand new Toshiba HD-A30 w/ the 300 and Bourne Identity free HD-DVDs in the box. 

Additional Freebies (HD-DVD):

Transformers (2-disc) (sealed)
Balls of Fury (sealed)
NEXT (mint, viewed once)

Price: P20k (negotiable)

Contact me at 09175298004 if you are interested.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2008 at 01:52 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline mardoc

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 08:00 AM »
Nandyan na yan! Make use of your HD DVDs in any way. My collection of DVDs are R1s anyway, so I'll just take advantage of its upscaling properties. Am pretty sure magiging mura din ang available HD DVDs when most start disposing theirs so enjoy na lang with what we have. Cheers!

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 07:27 PM »
I actually ordered an A3 but hasn't reached homeland yet.  One could argue pag-dating obsolete na but would prefer to see the glass half full - I still got the free discs - proved to be a self-liquidating investment which paid for the player. Good deal eh?  ;)  Further, all those who went neutral knew there were risks involved when one format eventually topples the other so we just gotta own up and just maximize what we have. Using it as an upscaler is a definite option for your secondary HT set-up if you have one.  Does this mean we'll see a bump in R1's soon?  ;D

Offline radforce

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 07:40 PM »
I'm keeping my A3 but will stop buying titles muna... unless they start selling it at cheap price :)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 10:28 PM »
will stop buying titles muna... unless they start selling it at cheap price :)

Correct! Will take the opportunity to buy more ya? ;D

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 11:08 PM »
I purchased an HD-A3 from Amazon last December and had it shipped to my friend's relatives in the States.  Excited after my purchase, I told my friend about my good deal.

Not knowing anything about HD-DVDs, but happy about getting a good deal, my friend took the plunge and ordered one too.

When the news broke out re Warner's decision, she accosted me and asked what it meant. Hay buhay! Good thing she cannot blame me because I was dissuading her from buying the player all along, knowing she isn't really a techie! Hahaha! So if anyone's interested in an HD-A3...you know the drill...

Offline antikryst

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 12:47 AM »
might just keep my xbox hd dvd player and sell my soon to arrive hd a3... hehehe baka 10k ko na lang benta :p

Offline switi

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 01:11 AM »
just got my hd a3, i have no hd discs, but i am very happy with it upscaling my old dvd's.  so kung ibebenta nyo mga hd dvd discs nyo for 200 pesos each, bilhin ko na lahat. ha ha ha. just watched stardust and masaya ako. grin from side to side. it is a toy,like all new toys masaya ako, and like all toys ke bluray pa yan o anything, magsasawa pa din tao and mag uupgrade pa din tayo pag may dumating na bago.

sa buong isabela ako lang may hidef na player, played sd dvd discs sa bahay and all my friends were oooohhhhsss and aaaahhhs! yan ba haydep doc?!!!! lahat dito nakatanga while I was telling them.
 obsolete na daw? e di nga alam ng mga taga bundok yan ehtsdi dibidi.

benta nyo na hd discs nyo saken....200 pesos each ha.
yamaha rxv640 PS3 B&W 602 egreat34a wdtv panapv8 and now XTREAMER

Offline blackd70s

• DVD Guru
  • Animo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 08:11 PM »

sa buong isabela ako lang may hidef na player, played sd dvd discs sa bahay and all my friends were oooohhhhsss and aaaahhhs! yan ba haydep doc?!!!! lahat dito nakatanga while I was telling them.
 obsolete na daw? e di nga alam ng mga taga bundok yan ehtsdi dibidi.

benta nyo na hd discs nyo saken....200 pesos each ha.
[/quote]

really funny bro! hahahahaha!

hd dvd i'm sure still has something in their sleeves. in the mean time, there are a lot of hd movies that we can enjoy.

teka pala, my manong bro in law resides in isabela, he also have an hd a30, so that makes it two of you.

im not sure though if the owners of citi cable in santiago city owns one of our toys also. so if by chance you know dennis a. bidahan mo na na mag hi def din! ;D

[[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/blackd70s/EagleArc

Offline choy

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 03:22 AM »
wishful thinking

but for those who has HD-DVD, maybe some technology in the future will alllow for the discs to be read on a PC.  a next gen drive perhaps not solely a HD-DVD drive or a BluRay drive.  when the format war has been won, i'm sure there will be some sort of "backward compatibility" to allow people to make use of their discs.  who knows, maybe Sony might even included some HD-DVD capabilities in future players as a sign of good will and a to convince HD-DVD owners to buy their players.  but only after the war has been won and probably Toshiba gives the HD-DVD licenses away.  could be in the next 3-5 years.  who knows.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 09:51 AM »
wishful thinking

but for those who has HD-DVD, maybe some technology in the future will alllow for the discs to be read on a PC.  a next gen drive perhaps not solely a HD-DVD drive or a BluRay drive.  when the format war has been won, i'm sure there will be some sort of "backward compatibility" to allow people to make use of their discs.  who knows, maybe Sony might even included some HD-DVD capabilities in future players as a sign of good will and a to convince HD-DVD owners to buy their players.  but only after the war has been won and probably Toshiba gives the HD-DVD licenses away.  could be in the next 3-5 years.  who knows.

The HD DVD add-on drive is fully compatible with PCs.  You just need a decently powerful PC (7600GT card as minimum) and PowerDVD Ultra 7.  Buffalo in Japan is selling a dual BD HD DVD add-on drive for the PC.  I think it is about 30K yen.

Offline choy

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 12:19 PM »
in the future, it would be cheaper
there's hope for current HD DVD owners

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 12:41 PM »
I'd be bloody tired of my 21 disks by the time my hd dvd player disintegrates into total oblivion.  (oh it just got to 26 because the 5 free disks from Toshiba finally arrived -2 months since I mailed the request form BTW).   Backward compatibility is only a feel good idea for the most part.   That is my opinion.

I'll continue to buy titles that I want as long as some studios keep on releasing them, otherwise, download it and the rest. 

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #55 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 06:23 PM »
I will keep it.... FOREVER!  ;D

and probably get a BD Player this year! That has been my plan anyway since late last year, ipon nga lang muna!  :D

Offline switi

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 21, 2008 at 11:46 PM »
so if by chance you know dennis a

yes i know dennis, in the cellphone business, and i know the family (citycable).
but i have not seen him lately.
yamaha rxv640 PS3 B&W 602 egreat34a wdtv panapv8 and now XTREAMER