Author Topic: NBA 07-08 Season on BTV/ESPNSTAR/CS--PLAY-OFFS NA!!  (Read 67709 times)

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: NBA 2007-2008 Season on BTV/ESPN/STAR--Play-offs na!!
« Reply #480 on: May 20, 2008 at 10:44 PM »
Let's GO Bad Boys, Let's Go!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #481 on: May 21, 2008 at 12:03 AM »
Lakers in 4!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #482 on: May 21, 2008 at 12:06 AM »
yeah, but its alright. they have to do it one step at a time.
thats what happened to the pistons and the bulls before they became champs.

the pistons have to go thru the celtics,
the bulls have to go thru the pistons

Actually, the Pistons have to wait for Bird's age to catch up with him.  And the Bulls got their chance when the Pistons got satisfied with only a repeat.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #483 on: May 21, 2008 at 05:06 AM »
Lakers in 4!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Against the Spurs? u gotta be kidding. You should be more generous and give atleast 2 games for the defending champs.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 344
« Reply #484 on: May 21, 2008 at 06:13 AM »
REPORT: Bad sign for the Spurs?

(AP) - A look at the matchup in the Western Conference finals, which begin Wednesday night (with regular-season record, playoff series marks in parentheses):

No. 1 LOS ANGELES LAKERS (57-25, 8-2) vs. No. 3 SAN ANTONIO SPURS (56-26, 8-4).

Season Series: Tied, 2-2, with each team winning both its home games. The Spurs were never at full strength in Los Angeles, missing Tim Duncan and Tony Parker in their first loss and Manu Ginobili on April 13, when the Lakers rolled to a 106-85 victory to clinch the Pacific Division title. That was the only meeting after the Lakers acquired Pau Gasol. Kobe Bryant averaged 24.3 points for the Lakers, while Parker scored 20.7 per game for the Spurs. Ginobili managed just 14.3 on 31 per cent shooting.

Storyline: The sixth post-season meeting between the Western Conference powers in the last 10 years, but the first since 2004. The Spurs knocked out the Lakers on their way to titles in 1999 and 2003, while the Lakers eliminated the Spurs in 2001, '02 and '04, winning championships the first two times.

Key Matchup I: Bryant vs. Bruce Bowen. Bowen, perhaps the league's best perimeter defender, tries to contain the NBA's MVP. Bryant, the leading scorer in the playoffs with 33.3 points per game, said the back injury that slowed him in the second round is healed. Bowen will certainly try to find out if that's true, using his physical defensive tendencies that have annoyed plenty of opponents. And the Lakers better be alert when Bowen has the ball. He made 12 of 15 three-pointers and averaged 12.3 points against Los Angeles, his best performance against any opponent.

Key Matchup II: Derek Fisher vs. Parker. Spurs fans need no reminder that Fisher is a clutch post-season performer, recalling his game-winning jumper with 0.4 seconds left in the Lakers' Game 5 victory at San Antonio in 2004. He is averaging 11.9 points in the playoffs, shooting 51 per cent from the floor and making 17 of 29 3-pointers. He might be more important defensively, because the Lakers must control Parker's penetration and keep the NBA finals MVP out of the paint. If Fisher can't do it, Bryant may have to expend energy to guard him.

X-Factor: Ime Udoka. Bowen's backup seemed to win coach Gregg Popovich's trust in the latter half of the second round and played well during his extended minutes, making 11 of 17 three-pointers (65 per cent) in the final four games. He should get some chances to check Bryant.

Prediction: Lakers in 5.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 at 06:14 AM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #485 on: May 21, 2008 at 06:31 AM »
REPORT: Bad sign for the Spurs?

(AP) - A look at the matchup in the Western Conference finals, which begin Wednesday night (with regular-season record, playoff series marks in parentheses):

No. 1 LOS ANGELES LAKERS (57-25, 8-2) vs. No. 3 SAN ANTONIO SPURS (56-26, 8-4).

Season Series: Tied, 2-2, with each team winning both its home games. The Spurs were never at full strength in Los Angeles, missing Tim Duncan and Tony Parker in their first loss and Manu Ginobili on April 13, when the Lakers rolled to a 106-85 victory to clinch the Pacific Division title. That was the only meeting after the Lakers acquired Pau Gasol. Kobe Bryant averaged 24.3 points for the Lakers, while Parker scored 20.7 per game for the Spurs. Ginobili managed just 14.3 on 31 per cent shooting.

Storyline: The sixth post-season meeting between the Western Conference powers in the last 10 years, but the first since 2004. The Spurs knocked out the Lakers on their way to titles in 1999 and 2003, while the Lakers eliminated the Spurs in 2001, '02 and '04, winning championships the first two times.

Key Matchup I: Bryant vs. Bruce Bowen. Bowen, perhaps the league's best perimeter defender, tries to contain the NBA's MVP. Bryant, the leading scorer in the playoffs with 33.3 points per game, said the back injury that slowed him in the second round is healed. Bowen will certainly try to find out if that's true, using his physical defensive tendencies that have annoyed plenty of opponents. And the Lakers better be alert when Bowen has the ball. He made 12 of 15 three-pointers and averaged 12.3 points against Los Angeles, his best performance against any opponent.

Key Matchup II: Derek Fisher vs. Parker. Spurs fans need no reminder that Fisher is a clutch post-season performer, recalling his game-winning jumper with 0.4 seconds left in the Lakers' Game 5 victory at San Antonio in 2004. He is averaging 11.9 points in the playoffs, shooting 51 per cent from the floor and making 17 of 29 3-pointers. He might be more important defensively, because the Lakers must control Parker's penetration and keep the NBA finals MVP out of the paint. If Fisher can't do it, Bryant may have to expend energy to guard him.

X-Factor: Ime Udoka. Bowen's backup seemed to win coach Gregg Popovich's trust in the latter half of the second round and played well during his extended minutes, making 11 of 17 three-pointers (65 per cent) in the final four games. He should get some chances to check Bryant.

Prediction: Lakers in 5.

You forgot all about what kinda clutch player Manu Ginobili is. He's a tough nut to crack and i feel his performance together w/ Tony Parker will determine the result of their battle against the Lakers. They are the best penetrating backcourt tandem in the entire NBA. They create for themselves offensively thus making life easier for Duncan under the basket and Mike Finley beyond 3 pt region. LA and SA are the two elite teams in the NBA & their showdown is worth watching. Expect War immediately after the first tip off.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 at 06:34 AM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #486 on: May 21, 2008 at 08:05 AM »
West
Game 6: San Antonio Spurs - If Spurs want to win against the Lakers it should be done within 6 games if not Spurs would hate to go to LA on a Game 7 where Bryant and co will have homecourt advantage. Compare to Hornets, Lakers has what it takes under pressure and with Bryant around it is always very dangerous on a crucial game. So if Spurs want to win this series it should be done on Game 6, this means that Spurs should split the first two games and go back to San Antonio winning all of their home games, losing in LA on Game 5 and beating the Lakers on Game 6.

Game 7: Lakers -  Lakers and San Antonio will win on their own respective turfs. With Lakers having the homecourt advantage, they will prevail on Game 7. 

East
Games 5 or 6: Piston -  Piston will prevail if their defence will be effective against the Celtics. I don't think they can stop the big 3. All they need to do is stop 1 or 2 of these big 3 and the supporting cast and they will win this series. 

Game 7: Boston - This means that all that Celtics should do is win all of their games in Boston, which is their trend right now, and they will go to the NBA finals!  ;D ;D ;D In order to beat the Piston they need to play a fast pace game to defeat Detroit's hard-nose defence. They should also stop Hamilton and Bbbbbbillups  scoring from the outside and let other do the job. I am giving Celtics a slim chance of winning this series because they seem to have a hard time finding their sync in the play-offs which was very evident on both of their series against Atlanta and Cleveland. With 3 all-stars in their line up, they don't know who will take over their team. Would it be Pierce, Garnett or Allen? If Celtics want to win this series KG must know when to be selfish and  unselfish,  Pierce must play like what he did in game 7 of their series against the Cavs and Allen must be a consistent outside shooter. Lastly, they need the support of their role players which I think was the very reason why they are the no. 1 team this season.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 344
« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2008 at 08:48 AM »
You forgot all about what kinda clutch player Manu Ginobili is. He's a tough nut to crack and i feel his performance together w/ Tony Parker will determine the result of their battle against the Lakers. They are the best penetrating backcourt tandem in the entire NBA. They create for themselves offensively thus making life easier for Duncan under the basket and Mike Finley beyond 3 pt region. LA and SA are the two elite teams in the NBA & their showdown is worth watching. Expect War immediately after the first tip off.

I lifted my post from the Associated Press, dude.  :)  IMO, Manu's an even bigger X-factor in this series, as in the last series vs. the Hornets.  Definitely, he's not going to be overlooked by anyone.  Kobe (and maybe Vujacic) will probably get this defensive assignment.  I just hope Kobe does not spend too much energy or get called for poor fouls while guarding Ginobili.  The Duncan-Gasol match-up should also be critical.

Boston's off to a good start...

We deserve better.

Offline dyerds

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: May 21, 2008 at 08:53 AM »
What!?! 8 - 0 kaagad!  :o

Offline kristerocky

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I remember those cheers...
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: May 21, 2008 at 08:57 AM »
I fancy a Lakers-Celtics finals.. ;D
...they still ring in my ears...

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #490 on: May 21, 2008 at 09:25 AM »
DEEEEETROIIIIIT all the way!!! ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 at 09:30 AM by pekspert »
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #491 on: May 21, 2008 at 10:20 AM »
So far the pace is benefiting the Celtics.  Ray Allen is coming along nicely.  Detroit is actually giving him the open shots...he's just hesitant to shoot them.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #492 on: May 21, 2008 at 10:38 AM »
Most ESPN experts didn't expect the Spurs to beat the Hornets and especially the Suns, using their key matchups and statistics as basis. Can't wait for them to be disappointed for the third time  :P

I hope the Spurs can upgrade their center position next season, because without the usual dominant Mavs and Suns, no one else can challenge the Lakers with Bynum next season. Oops, forgot about the rising Hornets  ;D

BTW, if you're the Bulls GM, who'd you pick #1  ;)

Offline kimpOy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #493 on: May 21, 2008 at 10:44 AM »
micheal beasley...

anyways going into 4th sa mga walang BTV

http://www.justin.tv/psn_tr3s

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #494 on: May 21, 2008 at 10:49 AM »
BTW, if you're the Bulls GM, who'd you pick #1  ;)

Easy pick actually.  Its 6'10" PF Beasley.  They need it more than picking PG Rose.   They already have all the jumpshooters.   Beasley can provide the interior scoring that is lacking since they traded away Elton Brand.   

The Miami Heat is still fortunate picking 2nd behind the Bulls.   PG Rose definitely fills a need for them at the position.   A Rose-Wade backcourt will be explosive.   With Marion there too, and it will a run and gun team for them.  Rose was described by scouts as a Kidd with a jumpshot.

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #495 on: May 21, 2008 at 10:51 AM »
^Beasly and probably get a trade for Thomas and/or Noah (but I'd keep Noah instead of Thomas).
Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Beasly and Noah --> young core group that you can continue to build around.
Although you can also make a case for D-Rose.
Bulls can get something for Hinrich plus I think Duhon wants out of the Bulls roster.
Rose, Gordon, Deng, Thomas, Noah --> not bad at all

Either way, Heat will benefit from the left overs of Chicago.
Then release all the D-Leaguers they have to clear cap space and go after some free agents.
They don't need stars, they already have D-Wade and the #2 pick, they'll need good role players.
You'll probably see Heat fighting for #7 or 8 seed in the East next year.

Sonics will have a another high pick to place beside KD.
I think they need a 2, who do they have at that position?
PG positon is also in question. They have Green at the 3 position so they're good with that.
I think they also have a young duo of centers -- but none are scorers.

Munskie: hehehe same observation tayo...swerte pa din Heat. Kasi they get #2, at least they will get either Beasly or Rose.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 at 10:54 AM by jeyps11_c »
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #496 on: May 21, 2008 at 10:56 AM »
I hope the Spurs can upgrade their center position next season, because without the usual dominant Mavs and Suns, no one else can challenge the Lakers with Bynum next season. Oops, forgot about the rising Hornets  ;D

Thats why as a Laker fan, I wont be heartbroken that much if they fail to win it all this year.   Future is pretty bright for them.  A Bynum-Gasol frontline will be huge with their freakish length.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #497 on: May 21, 2008 at 11:10 AM »
^Beasly and probably get a trade for Thomas and/or Noah (but I'd keep Noah instead of Thomas).
Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Beasly and Noah --> young core group that you can continue to build around.
Although you can also make a case for D-Rose.
Bulls can get something for Hinrich plus I think Duhon wants out of the Bulls roster.
Rose, Gordon, Deng, Thomas, Noah --> not bad at all

Yeah, I can sense that if they pick Beasley, Thomas will be expendable, especially if Thomas doesnt relish being a back-up to a rookie.   

As for making the case of the Bulls picking Rose, it is a possibilty yes, and I wont be surprised, since point guard play has been pretty big in NBA today.  Case in point, if you were to redo the 2005 draft, Deron Williams and Chris Paul will  either be 1 or 2, instead of Bogut and Marvin Williams.   

But common sense says its gonna be Beasley for the Bulls.   It fills a big need.  And if Beasley fills whats expected of him, guard play should improve for them, despite how we view Hinrich as average.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 at 11:10 AM by Munskie »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #498 on: May 21, 2008 at 11:17 AM »
DREAM MATCH-UP is ahead. 

For those hoping for a LA-BOSTON Finals, we're gonna need 8 wins.

So 1-0 na, after Celts defeat Pistons in game 1 of East Finals.

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #499 on: May 21, 2008 at 11:43 AM »
Thats why as a Laker fan, I wont be heartbroken that much if they fail to win it all this year. 

but i will definitely be upset...especially if they lose against the %$&*#! celtics. sorry, hehe, i've been a laker fan and celtic hater for the longest time.

but first they have to beat the san antonio freddy kruegers.

things to watch, for me:

- i think we'll see what gasol is really made of. his rep is that he suffers when playing against a strong 4. traditionally, lakers have defended duncan by making him operate "like he is in a box," to use phil's words. but they had shaq before;  it could be a problem for pau.

- mamba mano-a-mano against manu is interesting, as it pits two of the fiercest playoff pit bulls. hard to bet against those two hombres. they'll be going at each other from opposite sides of the floor, though, as bowen will almost certainly take on kobe.

- whatever defense the lakes can devise to keep tony longoria out of the lane. containing 2 playoff-mvp-caliber players is tough enough, let alone 3.

- can the spurs keep hot at the 3 point line. they buried the hornets from there, especially.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 at 11:44 AM by DaSilva »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #500 on: May 21, 2008 at 12:05 PM »
but i will definitely be upset...especially if they lose against the %$&*#! celtics. sorry, hehe, i've been a laker fan and celtic hater for the longest time.
  Im keeping my expectations low. hehe.   So I dont have to be upset.   Winning it all is a bonus for me.  ;D ;D

- i think we'll see what gasol is really made of. his rep is that he suffers when playing against a strong 4. traditionally, lakers have defended duncan by making him operate "like he is in a box," to use phil's words. but they had shaq before;  it could be a problem for pau.
  Yup, he is labeled as soft.   But Gasol will never be a physical player.   He will be pushed and banged around, but his length keeps him afloat defensively.  I hope thats enough.

- mamba mano-a-mano against manu is interesting, as it pits two of the fiercest playoff pit bulls. hard to bet against those two hombres. they'll be going at each other from opposite sides of the floor, though, as bowen will almost certainly take on kobe.
  Less playing time maybe for Radmanovich.   We'll definitely see more of Kobe going SF during endgames.   Just like in the Utah series.

- whatever defense the lakes can devise to keep tony longoria out of the lane. containing 2 playoff-mvp-caliber players is tough enough, let alone 3.
They survived Deron Williams last time out.   But I agree, a three headed monster is much harder to contain. 

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #501 on: May 21, 2008 at 12:15 PM »
They survived Deron Williams last time out.   But I agree, a three headed monster is much harder to contain. 

Was thinking the same thing...Deron is pretty close to Parker (actually Deron has a stronger upper body) and Fisher was able to run side by side with him. I am sure he can handle Parker and the pick and roll (unlike the Suns).

We'll probably see Vujacic-Bowen and Kobe-Manu when Lakers is on D. And the switch when SA is on D. I'm not sure if Bowen still got what it takes to handle Kobe all game long. His age was showing against the Suns and definitely NO. That is why they switched him over to Peja becasue no one can stop CP3. PLus Kobe was matched up against Harpring and AK47 in the previous round and we saw how that turned out.

I'd give the edge (a very close one at that) to the Lakers. You have to give what is due to the Spurs. Done it before and doing it again with an older line up. I jsut hope it's not like the SA-NO series where each game is a blow out by the 4th quarter.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline dyerds

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #502 on: May 21, 2008 at 02:30 PM »
Expect Fisher to post Parker from time to time because of Fisher's strength but on the otherhand Fisher will have a hard time matching Parker's pace. Duncan will dominate Gasol in the painted area but not if they double team him everytime he has the ball. I think Bowen cannot stop Bryant for the obvious reason, there is no way that he can stop him. He just need to make it hard for Bryant to score every point he makes. Problem match-up for San Anotnio...Odom, I don't see anyone in San Antonio to match this 6'10 small forward not unless Jackson put him in no. 4 position. I am a Spurs fan so I would say Spurs in Game 6. Go Spurs!  ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #503 on: May 21, 2008 at 02:48 PM »
Problem match-up for San Anotnio...Odom, I don't see anyone in San Antonio to match this 6'10 small forward not unless Jackson put him in no. 4 position. I am a Spurs fan so I would say Spurs in Game 6. Go Spurs!  ;D
bro.... Odom has been playing the PF position all season long.  ;)   

Offline dyerds

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #504 on: May 21, 2008 at 03:01 PM »
I see...sorry bro I haven't watch many Lakers games this season.  ;)  ;D If that's the case he will have a hard time matching up with Spurs' big men eventhough he has the advantage in speed.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 at 03:04 PM by dyerds »

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #505 on: May 21, 2008 at 03:04 PM »
GRRRRRRRRR talo bad Boys >:(
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: May 21, 2008 at 04:34 PM »
I believe there's no one in the Spurs line-up that can match-up well with Odom. Duncan? Sure, he can probably stop Lamar if he posts up, but face-up one-on-one, Odom's speed and ball-handling will break TD's ankle. Bowen? Odom wil just post him up. Oberto? Nahhhh. Thomas? Just like Duncan. And what I like about Odom is how well he moves and cuts the lane. With Pau and Kobe's excellent passing, Odom would continue what he did against Utah, slicing the lane and waiting for the pass.

San Antonio is consistent in not repeating as champs, so, El-Ay has history backing their "sure" series win.  ;D

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: May 21, 2008 at 04:49 PM »
There's a first time for everything  ;) ;D

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #508 on: May 21, 2008 at 04:56 PM »
Problem is, San Antonio's "first time" doesn't involve being in the Finals for two consecutive years. ;) ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #509 on: May 21, 2008 at 05:11 PM »
I believe there's no one in the Spurs line-up that can match-up well with Odom. Duncan? Sure, he can probably stop Lamar if he posts up, but face-up one-on-one, Odom's speed and ball-handling will break TD's ankle. Bowen? Odom wil just post him up. Oberto? Nahhhh. Thomas? Just like Duncan. And what I like about Odom is how well he moves and cuts the lane. With Pau and Kobe's excellent passing, Odom would continue what he did against Utah, slicing the lane and waiting for the pass.

San Antonio is consistent in not repeating as champs, so, El-Ay has history backing their "sure" series win.  ;D

Yeah, Odom and Gasol did withstood the likes of Okur, Boozer, kirilenko and Milsap in their semis series.   I know Duncan is of the higher breed, but the Utah big men are no slouch either.   So I like LA's chances.

Great analysis on Odom.   Many moments there in the Utah series where he blitzed by Boozer off the dribble.