Author Topic: Help! My Receiver trips with DTS-ES  (Read 567 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Help! My Receiver trips with DTS-ES
« on: Jan 13, 2008 at 08:34 PM »
I've had my LOTR gift sets for years now but I only remembered to access the DTS audio track last night. The problem is that after just a few minutes my Denon 1905 trips and goes on protect mode. This happens everytime I use the DTS track, but this effect does not happen with regular audio channels like Dolby Digital or the other DTS tracks in my other DVDs. I also notice that when I use the DTS-ES track on LOTR, the sound has a slight echo-ey quality, which does not appear with the other audio tracks.

What could be the reason for this? I have a 5.1 setup with Missons and a Dai-ichi sub. All of the speakers are set to small.

Hope you guys can help me.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Help! My Receiver trips with DTS-ES
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 09:54 PM »
Got LOTR Box Set and viewed them all in DTS-Es mode but didn't any problem with my system. So, most probably in your receiver or Dvd player set-up. If possible use another player with your receiver or on another receiver, this way you can pinpoint the cause of the problem...  ;D good Luck.. ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 10:21 PM »
The higher level DTS track can trigger some recievers to go into protect mode at certain  passages.  See if that happens at lower volumes.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 10:25 PM »
I've lowered the volume but still got the same problem. Could it be a setting on my receiver or player?

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 10:33 PM »
If your player has an output level control, lower it. The receiver apparently has a tripping sensor for high input currents as well.

But if you are using toslink connection, the receiver's DTS decoding circuitry seems to be sending high levels to the amp section to cause the tripping. (But the digital volume control should take care of that.) Try using the 5.1 analog connection and see if it happens still.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2008 at 10:35 PM by av_phile1 »