Author Topic: Building a dedicated Home Theater  (Read 48497 times)

Offline Full HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Building a dedicated Home Theater
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 02:32 PM »
darker shade of neutral colors.   of course, non reflective lahat dapat, or matte/flat.   the best ang black, but some of us definitely wouldnt want that.   again, another compromise to work with here.   function vs design.  some choices of neutral colors:

This I found out na rin after my current HT was built/painted. 
Yes, Munskie. Those are definitely the colors you would like to use. Ako naman ang magtanong. Where can i purchase the fabric for home theater paneling usage? What is the correct term of the fabric. Baka lan sa Divisoria meron na mas mura pa

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 06:14 PM »
Bought mine from Shell Canvass. I cant recall the price anymore though.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 06:58 PM »
Wala pa rin makakatalo sa Divisoria. Por kilo.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:44 PM »
I don't think you need dark color for the ceiling. Whats the best color for a room is using subtle shades or grays. A gray shade would be best since it wont create reflection. You can go to National Book Store and buy a pantone color chart.Any shade under subtle or gray shade would be best for your room.

Pantone pms color guides cost 6t pesos pare ;D Better to just visit ACE hardware and have your paint mix there,may chart din sila :)

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:51 PM »
Yes, Munskie. Those are definitely the colors you would like to use. Ako naman ang magtanong. Where can i purchase the fabric for home theater paneling usage? What is the correct term of the fabric. Baka lan sa Divisoria meron na mas mura pa

Yup divisoria would be cheaper but hassle pumunta :( Ernie may nakita na kami ni spenz na fabric, price range from php180 - 250 -495 - 595 and 1200 pesos per yard of 54" width. Ideal is muslin or burlap cloth but most upholstery supplies doesnt know this type ;D Basta breathable yung cloth pwede na. You can check it by looking at it across a light,dapat light passes through the fabric ;) Or do what spenz did and kept blowing air at all the fabrics we saw ;D ;D ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM »
Yup divisoria would be cheaper but hassle pumunta :( Ernie may nakita na kami ni spenz na fabric, price range from php180 - 250 -495 - 595 and 1200 pesos per yard of 54" width. Ideal is muslin or burlap cloth but most upholstery supplies doesnt know this type ;D Basta breathable yung cloth pwede na. You can check it by looking at it across a light,dapat light passes through the fabric ;) Or do what spenz did and kept blowing air at all the fabrics we saw ;D ;D ;D
ricky pa pm naman ng source..... :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Room dimensions
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 11:02 AM »
Di ko pa mahanap ung spreadsheet for determining room modes. I recall that was actually in a magazine that I read a long time ago. Hanapin ko pa.

In the meantime, the best that I could get was this link: http://www.componentacoustics.com/

It includes a simple calculator for determining good room dimensions, but given a set of dimensions, it doesn't tell you which frequencies will give you trouble.

If you have a problematic room, you may be able to reduce those problems through the use of bass traps and portable diffusers, as well as the proper location of furniture. I guess the big problem is to know what are the problem frequencies and for that, you need a Real-Time Analyzer or RTA. That will provide you a graph showing the relative db in your room at each frequency.

After you have done all you can with acoustic treatment, then you can use a room equalization system such as Audyssey. My guess is that Audyssey is much better than most other systems in the market today. This is based on what I have read, as well as my own experience. In fact, if you don't have an RTA, you can get a good idea of the problem frequencies in your room by running Audyssey and checking out the equalization curve (available with Denon AVR's). The frequencies where Audyssey applies big cuts or boosts are the problem frequencies.

Audyssey does equalization for all frequencies, including bass, but probably the best specialized equalizer for bass is the Velodyne SMS-1 (subwoofer management system). This has a calibrated mic and built-in RTA which can show you in real time what happens to your sound as you adjust the equalizer, phase, crossovers, etc.

Offline Full HD 3D

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 01:15 PM »
I have my H.T room being build as of this time, I have purchased a CARA 2.2 (Computer Aided Room Acoustics)  software 2 years back but never have the time to study and use it. We need a person with Auto Cad and Engineering (Screened) background to be able to assist. Them i'm willing to share this with my fellow Pdvd whose passion is only building their own HT room and be able to enjoy this audio & video hobby of ours and not for any monetary purposes . I will not have it copy since this is illegal.  Siguro like the Demo Disc. Limited to 10.My condition: MY ROOM FIRST!!!! All selected members have to do their share of work. Oh umpisa nah!!!We will have a committee to screen ang member,same as our last demo disc.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2008 at 01:21 PM by Ernie »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 01:16 PM »
I have my H.T room being build as of this time, I have purchased a CARA 2.2 (Computer Aided Room Acoustics)  software 2 years back but never have the time to study and use it. We need a person with Auto Cad and Engineering (Screened) background to be able to assist. Them i'm willing to share this with my fellow Pdvd whose passion is only building their own HT room and be able to enjoy this audio & video hobby of ours and not for any monetary purposes . I will not have it copy since this is illegal.  Siguro like the Demo Disc. Limited to 10.My condition: MY ROOM FIRST!!!! All selected members have to do their share of work. Oh umpisa nah!
wow......sali ako!!!  :)

Offline Full HD 3D

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 01:25 PM »
wow......sali ako!!!  :)
Munskie, Sana mailagay kung anong pwede maitulong like running the software or other functions. Suggest naman guidelines coz kayo nagumpisa ng demo disc. Suggestion, Suggestion!!!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 01:28 PM »
Munskie, Sana mailagay kung anong pwede maitulong like running the software or other functions. Suggest naman guidelines coz kayo nagumpisa ng demo disc. Suggestion, Suggestion!!!
wala pa ako idea....hehehe mukhang napaka technical nung software eh...

Offline Full HD 3D

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 01:32 PM »
wala pa ako idea....hehehe mukhang napaka technical nung software eh...
Kaya mo yan. Not that hard actually if may engineering background.Ako gingineering lan naintindihan ko. I just dont have the time. Alam ko si Alvinthx meron din nito kaya super lupet nang room. Visit www.cara.de and check it out.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 01:34 PM »
Kaya mo yan. Not that hard actually if may engineering background.Ako gingineering lan naintindihan ko. I just dont have the time. Alam ko si Alvinthx meron din nito kaya super lupet nang room. Visit www.cara.de and check it out.
hehehe...wala rin akong engineering backgroud.....  :)

Offline Full HD 3D

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 01:48 PM »
hehehe...wala rin akong engineering backgroud.....  :)
Ikaw provider ng GIN.hehe Seriously coordinator pwede rin.Any function na ikakatulong ng project. Im sure u can think of one.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 02:01 PM »
I have my H.T room being build as of this time, I have purchased a CARA 2.2 (Computer Aided Room Acoustics)  software 2 years back but never have the time to study and use it. We need a person with Auto Cad and Engineering (Screened) background to be able to assist. Them i'm willing to share this with my fellow Pdvd whose passion is only building their own HT room and be able to enjoy this audio & video hobby of ours and not for any monetary purposes . I will not have it copy since this is illegal.  Siguro like the Demo Disc. Limited to 10.My condition: MY ROOM FIRST!!!! All selected members have to do their share of work. Oh umpisa nah!!!We will have a committee to screen ang member,same as our last demo disc.

Interesting talaga ang CARA but it looks so complicated. Order na lang din ako ng software at pag-aralan ko.  ;D

Pag kabisado ko na (if ever), tulong na lang ako sa iba.  :)

Offline Full HD 3D

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 02:59 PM »
Interesting talaga ang CARA but it looks so complicated. Order na lang din ako ng software at pag-aralan ko.  ;D

Pag kabisado ko na (if ever), tulong na lang ako sa iba.  :)
No need Streetsmart. Tignan nyo muna. to those interested meet tayo katulad ni Munskie. Tignan muna. Di kaylangan gumastos. Pang wine na lan natin sa inyo. Hehehe.Actually naumpisahan ko na sa akin but i dont have the time to seat down lan anf finish the work. Kaya yan. Very user friendly. Oh ano Go na sa WINE.Hehehe
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2008 at 03:02 PM by Ernie »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 03:15 PM »
No need Streetsmart. Tignan nyo muna. to those interested meet tayo katulad ni Munskie. Tignan muna. Di kaylangan gumastos. Pang wine na lan natin sa inyo. Hehehe.Actually naumpisahan ko na sa akin but i dont have the time to seat down lan anf finish the work. Kaya yan. Very user friendly. Oh ano Go na sa WINE.Hehehe

Sige. Basta red wine. Chilean or Australian. Mga 2003 or older na vintage. Merlot siguro.  ;D ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 08:04 AM »
some sample of black screenwalls........there are samples here that can be seen as compromise between function and design 

(copied from avsforum)

dami pa nito....

For me, ok yung black screenwall.   Walang distraction, and improves the viewing experience.   Meron rin perceived improvement sa contrast.   :) 
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2008 at 08:16 AM by Munskie »

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 09:51 AM »
Nice marv ;) yup either black or dark brown(if using wood panels) will do to improve perceived contrast of viewing ;) No need to have a black ceiling :) :P

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 10:21 AM »
Nice marv ;) yup either black or dark brown(if using wood panels) will do to improve perceived contrast of viewing ;) No need to have a black ceiling :) :P
in my end, I plan to have front part of the ceiling painted black...... :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 11:05 AM »
Very nice photos, marv, and I agree with you that it will help if even just the front part of the ceiling is painted black.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 11:20 AM »
in my end, I plan to have front part of the ceiling painted black...... :)

For me either dark gray of dark colored fabric to cover acoustic treatment of ceiling,which starts from the screen up to first row of seats :)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 11:49 AM »
Meron ba acoustic boards na black? Yong sa kin kasi white..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 11:57 AM »
yes, I agree.  You dont have to start with height.   Length is quite important especially if you are planning to have 7.1 system.  The key, is to follow as much as possible the room ratios.   Para di mahirap i calibrate, at para di rin mahirap yung acoustic treatment.   

Again, these are only suggestions.   ;)

What is the minimum area for a 7.1 system?  Planning to add another speaker for back surround ( I presently have a 6.1 system) once I have may 7.1 capable AVR.
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 12:50 PM »
What is the minimum area for a 7.1 system?  Planning to add another speaker for back surround ( I presently have a 6.1 system) once I have may 7.1 capable AVR.
general rule of thumb, if your listening position is backed up against the back wall, 5.1 is enough.   But if you still have space between listening position and the back wall, you can add the back surrounds.  I just dont know if theres a formula for that.  Maybe 3-4 feet is the minimum.  :)   

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 12:52 PM »
Meron ba acoustic boards na black? Yong sa kin kasi white..
ewan ko lang kung meron acoustic boards na black to the one you're referring to, but DIY acoustic treatments can be covered with any color of fabric you want, basta acoustically transparent. :)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 12:54 PM »
Very nice photos, marv, and I agree with you that it will help if even just the front part of the ceiling is painted black.
courtesy of cut and paste.......thanks to members of avsforum.   I shared na rin para mag ka idea yung ibang nagpaplano ng HT nila. :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 01:22 PM »
I have done the math for the following assumptions:

1) 16:9 screen, 90" diagonal
2) Distance from screen to chair is twice width of screen
3) 3 feet from chair to rear wall
4) 6" provision per wall for acoustic treatment
5) Use the ratios provided by Munskie for room dimensions

Results:
1) Minimum length of room = 5.2 meters
2) Minimum area of room = 18.6 square meters

This looks like the bare minimum for an HT with a fairly big screen. Of course, this means that you have only one row of seats.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 05:11 PM »
Courtesy from robbyc30 & trunks, AVSforum:

Every now and again, there's a thread about what is an appropriate riser height. Unfortunately, there is no one answer that covers all situations. Everyone's setup is different, and requires a different answer depending on many different variables. Here's a fairly easy formula to figure the exact minimum riser height for your setup.

Riser Calculator
http://www.theater-calc.com/

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 08:51 PM »
I have done the math for the following assumptions:

1) 16:9 screen, 90" diagonal
2) Distance from screen to chair is twice width of screen
3) 3 feet from chair to rear wall
4) 6" provision per wall for acoustic treatment
5) Use the ratios provided by Munskie for room dimensions

Results:
1) Minimum length of room = 5.2 meters
2) Minimum area of room = 18.6 square meters

This looks like the bare minimum for an HT with a fairly big screen. Of course, this means that you have only one row of seats.

Nice computation sir mark ;) We're also using 6"' on the sides to accomodate the treatment, having an air gap while using even a 1" fiberwool will inrease coefficient of absorption ;) Exciting mag buo ng ht esp if you have the mooolah ;D

Ernie, my cousin can help us out with your CARA, he's a computer geek and he has a clerk who knows CAD :) He asking if your cara comes with a mic or something to get the reading? ???