Author Topic: PS3 as CDP  (Read 948 times)

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
PS3 as CDP
« on: Jan 31, 2008 at 12:47 PM »

Any member here using PS3 as a CDP?  After failing in my Holy Grail - PS1 option < http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=75877.0 > I came across this thread outside of a niche group of individuals using their PS3s as transports and there were a number of positive responses with minor setbacks (fan noise), but to each his own.  http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=897133

I only use my PS3 as a BD player so it's the first time I tried to play a CD on it awhile back.  Am newbie to audio and IMHO it 'sang' pretty well with comparable to the the other entry-level CDPs I have tried.  Of course one sampling error in my test was that my PS3 is hooked up to my HT set up (Yammie AVR + Paradigm Monitors via Optical) while the other CDPs are in my audio rig (Pio/Denon CDP + NAD IA + Epos 11); sorry about that but major hassle to uproot the systems hehe  ;D.  At the same time, other questions are also running through my mind like can the PS3 upsample via optical, what about via HDMI, SACDs?.  Admittedly am not convinced with this elementary sampling I did that's why am checking-in with experts in this audio thread to verify how the PS3 really fares as a CDP  ;)

Any feedback? TIA

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: PS3 as CDP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 10:18 AM »
I believe up to SCPH-7500, the D/A section is the same so even if you're using >SCP-100X it is ok. I have looked at the schematics and found out they are. A week ago, I dug up our Playstation in the attic. Found that it still works. Only problem is the CD lock (used to hold the CD) is already missing so I had one fabricated out of stainless steel. Since completion commit date is Monday, I am dying with curiosity.

Tonight, will modify the output section and remove the DC blocking caps and replace them will ceramic and add my own modification. Hopefully, it will kick the ass of my highly modified Sony X33ES, CDP-M11 and 701ES  ;D ;D ;D

The thing I like with the PCB layout on the Playstation is the loop areas are small due to the small components that are used. Further, since it is multi-layer PCB there is good chance that beneath the D/A + analog section there is a  ground plane. Well the 701ES loop area is also small but unlike the Playstation it doesn't have ground plane.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM by rascal101 »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 10:25 AM »
If you are willing, I can try out the PS3 in my set-up  ;D ;D ;D. If not, perhaps you can join in one of the sessions to hear opinions of others.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 06:58 PM »
Turns out that the SCPH-550X and below have the same DAC and output analog section so there's very good chance sound for these are identical.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2008 at 07:12 PM by rascal101 »