Author Topic: LF-akai Open reel tapedeck  (Read 1354 times)

Offline skee6

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LF-akai Open reel tapedeck
« on: Feb 16, 2008 at 08:15 PM »

Hello, I recently inherited an AKAI M8 open reel tape deck. The electronics are all working, but I need some external and mechanical parts. Searching for a non working Akai tape deck as a parts source. Also looking for old open reel tapes with original recordings.thanks

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: LF-akai Open reel tapedeck
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2008 at 09:49 PM »
The internet could be a good source for those.  Whatever tape format your deck needs, just google.  Here's one:

http://www.oaktreeent.com/Stereo_Open_Reel-Reel_Tape_Decks_Recorders.htm

I am not aware of any parts available except perhaps in Raon.  If you can restore your open reel deck and get originals recordings, you can have the finest analog sound source on earth.  Especially those recorded at 7.5ips speeds. 

But the way I see, it's going to be an uphill battle.  You have to replace all the rubber pinch rollers, capstan and belts in the motor assembly.  Not to mention the tape heads.  Getting blank open reel tapes may be easy, it's the pre-recorded stuff that may be hard to find.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2008 at 10:44 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline skee6

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2008 at 07:37 AM »

Sirs, thank you for the feedback! I already ordered the belt kit from a USA source. The AMP and pre amp of the unit seems to be alright. The mechanisms are working after some lubrication. A selector is missing, the rubber roller is marginal, and several other external items might have to be changed. The heads are clean and  working The M8 is a professional model and is worth the effort and fun. I am  hoping to find any Akai open reel tape deck as a parts source. The website mentioned by av_phile1 looks interesting.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM »
There are many other internet sites that sell refurbished Audio gears from the 60s amd 70s. just google.   Drop by Raon and Evangelista as there may still be stores selling parts for them.    If you plan to buy another tape deck as a source for parts, just be careful as its parts may not necessarily be interchangeble or useful for your Akai.  It would be ideal if you can get the same model. 

I post this Akai model M-10 from the site I referred.  Does your M-8 look like this?  You may want to post pics of it.  And hopefully, the more seasoned hobbysts here can be of better assistance.  Enjoy!!!
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2008 at 10:30 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline skee6

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 03:46 PM »

Thank you Sirs! My M8 is slightly different from the M10 on the thread. Each channel is a separate module and is on top of each other. The VU meters are almost the same but stacked, not side by side. It can probably be converted to a mono block amp if all else fails. My parts requirements are more on the mechanisms. Unfortunately. the unit is with MR right now, so pictures cannot be taken. I will search the web thou. I will definitely check out Armstrong at RAON once the belts arrive. I also need an empty reel to get it playing. I appreciate guys like you for showing interest in restoring old relics like this. :) :) :) Its actually enjoyable and challenging.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 11:58 AM »
Judging by the responses on this thread, there's not much owners of open reek decks among the members here, whether currently or in their past.  Many of this generation have obviously not known the glorious analog sound of open reel that is head and shoulders over any other analog formats. 
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008 at 11:59 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline skee6

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2008 at 07:13 PM »

Hello Av_phile1,

Totally agree with you. I intend to transfer Cd recording to the open reel tapes to start with. In the mean time I am restoring the external Akai speakers that went with it. Do you know Anthony, the guy who makes speakers and baffles? I wonder if he can make backhorn enclosures  based on Fostex specs and plans. I just got a pair of Fostex FE 166e fullrange speakers. 

Many thanks,

Skee6

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 12:05 AM »
Hi Skee6, I guess if there's anyone here who can help you, that would be him.  I just don't have his contact details.  Maybe the thread on DIY speakers can help. Can't seem to find it though.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2008 at 12:06 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline skee6

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 06:59 PM »

My replacement belt kit for this Akai M8 tape deck arrived today from the USA. Got it from Vintage electronics.com. Un fortunately, they don t have the other parts I need. The belt kit will get the unit working thou. I just have to find a blank reel which will serve as  the tape receiver. The missing lever can be created from copper or brass, with time and patience. Will check out Raon one of this days. ;)