Author Topic: Will KT88 SE convincingly play Metallica on an appropriate set of speakers?  (Read 4889 times)

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Or Deep Purpple, Aerosmith, Journey, Black Sabbath: :)

romymartinez

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
not speaking directly for a KT88 SE, but a SET amp driving appropriate speakers can rock ;D
money is best spent

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Depends on the the amp... the tube is only one component on the amp, for rock music you would want a "Fast" amplifier so anything that sweet in character like the vintage scotts wont do it for rock..

My advise is to get an amp that really excels in one thing ..sweet music  or  rock music .. rather than having an amp thats 50/50.. in my book an amp that 50/50 is no good, since it can't do anything "perfectly" you would end up looking for something else

Offline docsialu

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • with no power, comes no responsibility
  • Liked:
Depends on the the amp... the tube is only one component on the amp, for rock music you would want a "Fast" amplifier so anything that sweet in character like the vintage scotts wont do it for rock..

My advise is to get an amp that really excels in one thing ..sweet music  or  rock music .. rather than having an amp thats 50/50.. in my book an amp that 50/50 is no good, since it can't do anything "perfectly" you would end up looking for something else

I agree with this, make 2 set ups, one for sweet music another for rock,  :)

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
actually it could work. a good sounding system after all, is a good sounding system.

it would depend on the versatility of the speakers used as well.  ;)

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
actually it could work. a good sounding system after all, is a good sounding system.

it would depend on the versatility of the speakers used as well.  ;)

I totally agree. A well designed and good sounding amp should be able to reproduce any kind of music.
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63

just like the singers.

michael buble' does not sound well singing a metallica song and so does james heatfield singing buble's song ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008 at 08:32 AM by GneW »

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
after much convinving from my uncle that is visiting from the US, i pop'd in a 50 cent cd on my tube set-up.... and the results... OMG!!! ..... IN DA CLUB!!!! ;D

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Get a versatile tube amp. My pp amx kt88 can play most types of music. Classic rock sounds pretty good. Medyo flabby lang yung bass pagdating sa rap songs na may heavy synthesized bass.

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Audio aficionados have this opinion that tubed gears are for jazz and vocals.

They forgot that rock started on tubed guitar amps so I don't see any reason why rock or metal for that matter will not play correctly on a tubed gear. Up to now, guitarists still prefer the sound of tubed guitar amps.

A "well designed tubed amp" (including the DHTs like 2a3, 300B) can reproduce Metallica on a well matched speakers.

My SE KT88 and my 6080 parafeed amps, matched with a high sensitivity speaker (fostex) on horn enclosures play Def Lepard and Metallica with no problem.

If the bass sound flabby or the highs are shrill, the designer should go back to the drawing board and redesign the amp.

Offline aHobbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
any decent amp with the appropriate speaker will always work to the design goal you wanted to accomplish. Of course, the number one challenge is : what speaker would that be?

a good sounding setup will always be good sounding, - with different genre of materials? This is just ideal, paper concept. There is just no cure-all set-up.

What's best, therefore, is something you have to define yourself. If a 50-50 is best for you, or a 2 set-ups each working 100% perfectly for you for every selected genre.

At the end of the day, it is all just personal preferences. Not all guitarists prefer tube amps! And all of us, vary in some degree, how we want to hear things from our set-up.

How about a set-up that you can vary any time of day, depending on your mood and depending on your genre to play?
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
How about a set-up that you can vary any time of day, depending on your mood and depending on your genre to play?

One option is to look for a tube amp that can take several types of tubes.....

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
To some extent you can vary the sound of tube amps, even same kind of tubes of different brands.

Or as qguy noted, get an amp than can use different tubes.

I play vocals and jazz with EL34s, orchestral/instrumentals with KT88 and rock with 6550 on my SE amp.

So to answer the original question of Romy:

Or Deep Purpple, Aerosmith, Journey, Black Sabbath: :)

romymartinez

Yes an SE KT88 can convincingly play Metallica on an appropriate set of speakers.

We will try it with your Fostex 167e on a "Half Chang" enclosure. Horn speakers are "fast."

With my setup, a Fostex 127e on an iBIB enclosure, metallica plays convincingly, as well as vocals and jazz. (just tube roll with different brands and kinds, from EL34, 6L6, KT88 and 6550).
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2008 at 11:40 AM by alexg »

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Thanks for your comments guys. :) :)

I guess the weak link in the system are my speakers. I'm at the moment using a 60s Jensen 8" full range sealed bookshelfs which are relatively easy to drive and senstivite enough for a 6wpc tube amp to sing but does not produce enoggh slam for heavy metal. But for 60s/70s blues rock (i.e., Rolling Stones, Credence Clearwater Revival, Steve Miller Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd) they sound great.. Santana's 70s music sounds superb. And of course, they sound great on jazz and vocals. :)

The rest of my system: Denon DCD-1610 (10kg monster CDP from late 80s), Foreplay 3 inspiered 12au7 preamp, EL34 SE / 6080 parafeed power tube amps, DIY ICs, generic speaker wires. All tube amps borrowed from who know who.. :) :)

Funds permitting, I'll upgrade my speakers soon. My Fostex fullrange drivers are itching to find their home on "appropriate" cabinets. :) :)

romymartinez
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2008 at 12:10 PM by romymartinez »

Offline aHobbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
since you are into fostex, better start with it. either go transmission line or the folded horn (iBIB nga ba yon?) - it can reinforce your sub in the proper corner placement - then add extra sensitive tweeter later (so you can series a resistor to avoid the amp seeing it) to help in the upper portion if the full range alone sound deficient in the high freq in your ear - and it has no issues with your 6W amp!

Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Postcript:

Your right Sir alexg. KT88 SE convingcly played heavy metal when paired with this Fostex FE167E in Half-Chili Chang enclosures.

Big thanks!

romymartinez

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
Rock on!!!
money is best spent

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
Postcript:

Your right Sir alexg. KT88 SE convingcly played heavy metal when paired with this Fostex FE167E in Half-Chili Chang enclosures.

Big thanks!

romymartinez

Holy Cow Nice Pair! However, for me I want some ROCK! I need a Good Pair of Solid State Amp and a good speakers paired with a very Good Subwoofer! This is how I enjoy Rock Music!! Actually Rock Music are most enjoy on Live performance! I wan't the feeling of live audience while listening to Rock with the some Sa- Mi_ Light and it should be Friday Night!!!!ofcourse! A visual effect will be Fun! Now I am collecting Concert BD which I think now a days a good investment!

I want SE set-up for none fatiguing vocals! or what they call easy listening......a mids to die for......

Just me!
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2009 at 02:51 PM by odyopayl »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:

I want SE set-up for none fatiguing vocals! or what they call easy listening......a mids to die for......

With sensitivity of 94db, the Fostex seems loud enough for me when paired with the 13 wpc SE amp  ;D

Sound character of the SE amp depends on tubes plugged in. For 'easy listening' NOS Siemens EL34 sounds nice. But with NOS GE 6550 the sound is anything but polite/malambing. It's brusking-brusko bagay sa rock. With re-issue Gold Lion KT88, it strikes a nice balance between the two sonic extremes. Still have JJ KT77 re-issue and Tungsol 6550 re-issue to try on.  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2009 at 05:10 PM by romymartinez »

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
yes it would...just a bit different from how it would sound using SS amps.
how u would interpret the difference youll hear really depends on your criteria and listening preferences.

some would find it lacking the low end, others would find it sounding a little slow on the tempo...among many other varying impressions.

normally it would sound a "bit" slower on tubes with a slight recession on lows as you would try to compare it with SS. but then again, this is very much dependent on the gears in action here. some tubed amps would really surprise you as they could sound as agile and ballsy as good SS amps too. conversely, other SS amps would also lack the agility and low end punch of other good tubed amps.

there is only 1 sure way of finding that out though.....LISTEN :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline edrel sison

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
congrats romy for finally nailing that fostex! great setup!

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
congrats romy for finally nailing that fostex! great setup!

Sir Edrel,

Thanks!

Mukhang napasubo ng husto dito si Sir Alex.  ;D  ;D

Regards,

Romy

Offline camoteque

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:

A "well designed tubed amp" (including the DHTs like 2a3, 300B) can reproduce Metallica on a well matched speakers.

i agree. no problem listening to rock with matched systems.  i am playing dire straits right now with my 2a3 amp at not more than a watt of power. more  powerto spare using these speakers. :)

larry