Author Topic: PS3 Japan, Asia or US version  (Read 11631 times)

Offline jrcrunch

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
PS3 Japan, Asia or US version
« on: Mar 13, 2008 at 04:08 PM »
Hi newbie here

I wanted to buy a ps3 player as my bluray since no sights for gran turismo 5 and its way cheaper. would you suggest getting a Japan, Asia or US version? I heard/read somewhere that all games are region free (please correct me if im wrong here) and bluray 
region 1 includes East Asia-hong kong, Japan, philippines and united states!

What is the diff bet the NTSC and PAL version?  Response would be greatly appreciated! ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: PS3 Japan, Asia or US version
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 04:42 PM »
Hi newbie here

I wanted to buy a ps3 player as my bluray since no sights for gran turismo 5 and its way cheaper. would you suggest getting a Japan, Asia or US version? I heard/read somewhere that all games are region free (please correct me if im wrong here) and bluray 
region 1 includes East Asia-hong kong, Japan, philippines and united states!

What is the diff bet the NTSC and PAL version?  Response would be greatly appreciated! ;D

bluray games - region free
bluray movies - you are correct, so buying japan, asian or japan versions gets you to watch u.s. blurays.

basically, all ps3 are multi system, but if you bought a pal version (european) you can't watch u.s. blurays.
the best is still the u.s. version but remember you can't watch r3 dvds with a u.s. version ps3. my best bet for you is to get an asian version (hongkong to be specific) because its ntsc, it plays r3 dvds and u.s. blurays.

hope this helps
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2008 at 08:13 PM by iiinaslao »

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 10:23 PM »
bluray movies - you are correct, so buying japan, asian or japan versions gets you to watch u.s. blurays.

basically, all ps3 is multi system, but if you bought a pal version (european) you can't watch u.s. blurays.
the best is still the u.s. version but remember you can't watch r3 dvds with a u.s. version ps3. my best bet for you is to get an asian version (hongkong to be specific) because its ntsc, it plays r3 dvds and u.s. blurays.

hope this helps

Nice info?...  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 07:33 AM »

basically, all ps3 is multi system, but if you bought a pal version (european) you can't watch u.s. blurays.

hope this helps

How about quality? some stores selling Asian Version & U.S. Version which the U.S. version more pricey. What's the big deal? TIA

odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 08:06 AM »
How about quality? some stores selling Asian Version & U.S. Version which the U.S. version more pricey. What's the big deal? TIA

Cost of living, buying power of households, currency.

Offline jrcrunch

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 10:49 AM »

hope this helps
[/quote]

wow thanks for the great info! im torn bet now with a US vs an asian version since I have region 1 and region 3 dvds or maybe il just buy a separate player for it na lang.

Offline bhengko

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 02:22 PM »

hope this helps

wow thanks for the great info! im torn bet now with a US vs an asian version since I have region 1 and region 3 dvds or maybe il just buy a separate player for it na lang.

best is to buy an upscaling multi dvd player dedicated for dvd viewing.
just play bluray films on the PS3.

Offline animated

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 04:24 PM »

another reason could be that the US models sold here includes the cost of shipping from the US. that and we filipinos still have this perception that everything that comes from america is better therefore should be more expensive. but then all PS3s are manufactured in china.  :P
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2008 at 04:28 PM by animated »

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 06:05 PM »
I recommend the Asian version as well.  With rock bottom prices of R3 DVDs..it's more practical to buy R3 DVDs.  That's if of course you prefer R1.

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2008 at 11:37 AM »
another reason could be that the US models sold here includes the cost of shipping from the US. that and we filipinos still have this perception that everything that comes from america is better therefore should be more expensive. but then all PS3s are manufactured in china.  :P
Did you know that some Japan domestic products are made in China? Not all made in China are bad. In my understanding we are just sure that what we are buying in Japan or U.S. are most likely run thru strict QC while Philippines can import this thru Gray Market, that is why you are not assure on what you are buying are the good one but if you bought from ligitimate dealer they can assure 1 year warranty but higher SRP.
In U.S. if it's under warranty, they will replace your unit no question ask the consumer protection is somehow more realistic.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2008 at 11:40 AM »

Yup, sad to say, it's not just a perception it is the truth, most of the U.S. branded things have more quality no matter where it's made ;D
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 08:31 AM »
Did you know that some Japan domestic products are made in China? Not all made in China are bad. In my understanding we are just sure that what we are buying in Japan or U.S. are most likely run thru strict QC while Philippines can import this thru Gray Market, that is why you are not assure on what you are buying are the good one but if you bought from ligitimate dealer they can assure 1 year warranty but higher SRP.
In U.S. if it's under warranty, they will replace your unit no question ask the consumer protection is somehow more realistic.

i'm not saying that all things made in china are bad, i'm meant to say that most electronics ARE manufactured in china these days. sorry if i didn't make myself clear. ;D

but in any case, whether you buy an Asian, US or Japanese PS3, quality shouldn't be an issue. they all come from the same place.  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2008 at 08:38 AM by animated »

Offline athos45

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 08:02 PM »
guys, the US PS3 in my house plays R3 Dvds. and of course also R1 dvds. Havent tried the "Jack sparrow" tiangge ones yet.

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 08:08 PM »
Could it be that the specific R3 DVDs you used are really "Region Free"?

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 08:42 AM »
another difference you guys need to is the playstation network... i hear buying load for us units are more torublesome
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 12:55 PM »
you can buy from any PSN store, as long as you are able to load money you are ok

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 03:10 PM »
you can buy from any PSN store, as long as you are able to load money you are ok

correct me if im wrong.. (i dont have a ps3 yet)

but, i read somewhere that US PSN store does not allow credit cards with billing address in manila....
which makes buying load quite difficult.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 04:56 PM »
it actually did once, pero dami na rin nag sell ng PSN load sa pinoypsx.com ^_^ heck m here in Cebu and i can buy from a trusted seller there hehe

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 08:17 PM »
it actually did once, pero dami na rin nag sell ng PSN load sa pinoypsx.com ^_^ heck m here in Cebu and i can buy from a trusted seller there hehe

exactly, basta pinoy, if there's a will, there's a way. sa dami ng pinoys sa u.s., just like darkwing said, its impossible not to find those loads here in the philippines, of course there is a premium. pero oks na rin.  ;)

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 05:58 AM »
exactly, basta pinoy, if there's a will, there's a way. sa dami ng pinoys sa u.s., just like darkwing said, its impossible not to find those loads here in the philippines, of course there is a premium. pero oks na rin.  ;)

personally, id rather pass on having to pay for the premium....

sucky parts is US playstation network has better content

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 07:15 AM »
personally, id rather pass on having to pay for the premium....

sucky parts is US playstation network has better content

oo nga, syempre another way is kung may kamaganak sa u.s., for me like itunes which for most part has the same implementation (us credit card), what i do is ask my sister in california to buy the itunes card and email me the codes from the card for me to use. medyo crude, but it works, she wont give me her credit card number kasi (baka abusuhin ko hehehe)  ;D.

i never got my ps3 online pa kasi, kaya hindi ko masabi kung how the payment works, kasi for my nintendo wii, we have gotten around this, we can't use the u.s. servers because of the same implementation, but if we change the country setting to latin countries, for me i use brazil. it accepted my philippine issued credit card.

i think may ganitong thread din sa pinoypsx (tagal na ako hindi naka bisita dun).

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008 at 10:44 PM »
Hi Guys,
I just managed (barely) to purchase my PS3 - Japanese Version.  the problem is - which i did not check - that the manual is of course in JAPANESE! haha dang.  anyways, I tested Bluray and games and they work perfectly.  anyone know where I can download a softcopy of the "ENGLISH" manual?  many thanks!

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008 at 11:17 PM »
Hi Guys,
I just managed (barely) to purchase my PS3 - Japanese Version.  the problem is - which i did not check - that the manual is of course in JAPANESE! haha dang.  anyways, I tested Bluray and games and they work perfectly.  anyone know where I can download a softcopy of the "ENGLISH" manual?  many thanks!

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/index.html

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008 at 11:20 PM »
MANY THANKS Mouldingo

Offline Chet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009 at 05:29 PM »
So is the Japan PS3's dvd playback locked to Region 2?

Offline courtmaster

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009 at 03:54 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a PS3 NTSC-HK version.

I bought a couple of region A blu-ray movies but it cant play on my PS3.

Anybody here can help?

Updated na po firmware pero ayaw pa din mag play

Any help can be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009 at 09:19 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a PS3 NTSC-HK version.

I bought a couple of region A blu-ray movies but it cant play on my PS3.

Anybody here can help?

Updated na po firmware pero ayaw pa din mag play

Any help can be appreciated.

Thanks

Can you still play games on it? If not, then it could be a problem with the lens.
SARS!!!

Offline courtmaster

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009 at 01:58 PM »
Can you still play games on it? If not, then it could be a problem with the lens.

yes sa games ala naman problem eh.

pag nilagay ko blu-ray movie lalabas lang title den magiging black background na na para bang loading kahit nde naman.

san po ba pwede patingin to? greenhills pwede kaya?
ala pa 1 yr. ps3 kokakabili ko lang bnew sa greenhills before xmas last yr

Offline crusher19

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 10, 2009 at 08:20 PM »
US tol ang bilhin mo. :) panget Japan, may blood restriction. Kung alam ko lang sana nung bumili ako. Japan nga ung saken eh.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2404
« Reply #29 on: Jun 11, 2009 at 09:25 AM »
yes sa games ala naman problem eh.

pag nilagay ko blu-ray movie lalabas lang title den magiging black background na na para bang loading kahit nde naman.

san po ba pwede patingin to? greenhills pwede kaya?
ala pa 1 yr. ps3 kokakabili ko lang bnew sa greenhills before xmas last yr

You can probably get it checked in EYO virramall