Author Topic: FW 2.20 adds BD 2.0 Profile to the PS3  (Read 1817 times)

Offline darkwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
FW 2.20 adds BD 2.0 Profile to the PS3
« on: Mar 20, 2008 at 06:05 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/20/ps3-firmware-2-20-bringing-bd-live-interactive-blu-ray-this-mont/

SCEE has announced that they will be updating the PS3 firware to 2.20 sometime later next week. The update will will add Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0 (known as BD-LIVE). This will add the ability to take full advantage of interactive features, such as downloadable video content, ringtones, games to the PS3. In addition to BD-LIVE, the system software update will enable photo and music playlists on a PS3 to be copied to a PSP. The following new features will also be included in the system software update:

· “Resume play” will enable PS3 to start playing a BD and DVD video at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed.

· “Audio Output Device” will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.

· PS3’s Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser’s view speed will be improved.

· DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.

· “Mosquito Noise Reduction” will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
Re: FW 2.20 adds BD 2.0 Profile to the PS3
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 10:35 PM »
Didn't still address the DTS HD playback capability... :'( :'(

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 12:18 PM »
· “Resume play” will enable PS3 to start playing a BD and DVD video at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed.

Simple as it may seem, but this is one feature that I've been waiting for a long time.
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 12:33 PM »
Agree. It's painful to look for that point where you stopped.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 05:08 PM »
yup good thing the 2.20 is finally out lols

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 06:15 PM »
Ayos a. Tnx for the info sir.  ;D

Didn't still address the DTS HD playback capability... :'( :'(
Sana nasama na rin ang DTS HD :o
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 07:55 PM »
PS3 2.20 update is out, get your BD-Live while it's fresh

Nothing beats that straight-from-the-oven firmware smell, and Sony just hit the internet with its PS3 2.20 firmware update goodness. The big win here is BD-Live interactive Blu-ray compatibility (Blu-ray 2.0), but there are some other minor tweaks as well, mostly multimedia and web browsing related. Unfortunately, portable copy(read the next story below) didn't make the cut, but there's always 2.30, right?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/24/ps3-2-20-update-is-out-get-your-bd-live-while-its-fresh/

PS3 2.20 update to offer portable copy of Blu-ray films to PSP?

If PCWorld is correct, then it looks like Sony's pending, PS3 2.20 firmware will have at least one little surprise for movie buffs. As if the inclusion of Blu-ray's BD-Live interactivity and the removal of the 2GB DivX and WMV file-size cap wasn't enough, PCWorld says that you can also expect the introduction of portable copy. With it, users will be able to copy a PSP formatted (and DRM'd) version of the film directly to their PSP -- no UMD required. Right, just like we saw demonstrated live back at CES in January.

Update: There's a rumor that Sony's portable copy would transcode any Blu-ray film into a PSP version. That's not how we understand it. The firmware update would just allow the PS3 to "see" the portable copy already burned into some Blu-ray discs and then make it available for transfer to your PSP. Think Digital Copy for Sony's gear, not Apple's.

Update 2: Sony just pinged us to say that Portable Copy won't be coming with the 2.20 release -- bummer. We'll be waiting, guys.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/24/ps3-2-20-update-to-offer-portable-copy-of-blu-ray-films-to-psp/

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2008 at 07:56 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 08:44 PM »
ito po yung full changes

FW 2.20

Settings changes

* [Audio Output Device] is a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3. [Audio Output Device] has been added as an option under [Remote Play Settings].

Media changes

* "Resume play" enables PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc and DVD at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed.

* BD-J format disc is not supported.

* [Mosquito Noise Reduction] added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.

* BD discs recorded with BDMV format are not supported.

* "Subtitle Style Options" has been added as an option to the control panel of the DVD/BD player.

* DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB are playable.

* You can now copy [Music] and [Photo] playlists to the PSP.

Disc changes

* Blu-ray BD-Live Profile 2.0 is now supported.

* Users are now able to use several interactive features such as downloadable video content, ring tones and interactive movie-based games, with Profile 2.0-compatible Blu-ray Discs. The interactive features may vary depending on the disc.

System changes

* PS3 system's Internet browser has been enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page can be streamed, and the browser's view speed has been improved.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 12:08 AM »
Wow nice news! :D

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 06:12 AM »
Downloaded the firmware last night.

Here's what I tried out so far.

I still cant play Divx 720p 4.4gb. Maybe it has a file limitation to 4gb, bec PS3 uses Fat32.

Resume play for BD & DVD is a great addtion. Now I dont have to memorized where I left off.

Subtitle .srt for Divx is now functioning.

I didnt try the BD-Live, I dont know what movies supported this profile.