Author Topic: The Aristocats R3 "Special Edition" - NOT SPECIAL!  (Read 2805 times)

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Aristocats R3 "Special Edition" - NOT SPECIAL!
« on: Apr 22, 2008 at 05:33 PM »
The Aristocats (Special Edition)
Php 550

This is one of my daughter's favorite movies and we got one last week only to have to return it as the DVD inside was the old edition and not the Special Edition. While at the store (Astro Festi) the Viva promo said that the other copies were that way too, she opened another copy and it was the same. Looks to me like label engineering has worked its way again into DVD's.

The promo promised to take this up at their meeting.

There was also the incident with Ratatouille a few weeks ago, it froze on Chapter 22, other copies at the store had the same problem. Just a heads up for those who intend to buy this.

Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline allanmandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 12:45 AM »
This is one of my daughter's favorite movies and we got one last week only to have to return it as the DVD inside was the old edition and not the Special Edition. While at the store (Astro Festi) the Viva promo said that the other copies were that way too, she opened another copy and it was the same. Looks to me like label engineering has worked its way again into DVD's.

The promo promised to take this up at their meeting.

There was also the incident with Ratatouille a few weeks ago, it froze on Chapter 22, other copies at the store had the same problem. Just a heads up for those who intend to buy this.

That sucks BIG TIME! The question is, is this a deliberate attempt to fool consumers, or just an honest mistake? Viva should explain themselves ASAP so as not to jeopardize consumer trust.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 01:01 AM »
Aristocats:

Are you sure it was the old version (ie the art is the same as the older release?). 

From what I know, most of these lesser known Disney DVD (ie Robin Hood), that are re-released but not in Platinum Edition, the tweaks are minimal, and reviewers from sites like DVDTalk and Ultimate Disney says that the upgrade is marginal and the flaws (like specs) are still there. 

So is it the re-released flawed version or is it really the old DVD?
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline espace

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 01:48 AM »

We have the old P199 release and the DVD is exactly the same.

i should have made myself clearer in my first post. The old DVD was in 4:3 format, was in DPL 2.0 and a few extra features.

The new DVD was supposed to have DD5.1, WS and a whole lot of special features as stated in the label. That's why I referred to it as "label engineering" - they changed the cover art for the same old DVD.

The no brainer comparison is that the DVD artwork and serial number on the new P550 release is exactly the same as the old P199 release.

The new one also isn't just a flawed version, it simply is the old P199 DVD packaged differently and priced at P550.

I remember complaining about Viva during the earlier days of PinoyDVD, but never thought that I would have to complain about them again after seeing great improvements in their releases through the years. Viva was then just a little better than C Interactive now.

It's having to post these comments that make me really regret supporting R3 releases in general. Which is also why most of our Disney collection is R1.

So what gives Viva, another goof up? Seems the recent goof list is getting longer.

Maximize your options.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 02:41 AM »
is this a deliberate attempt to fool consumers,

Maybe yes. Majority of the buying market are not so much meticulous about this things. PDVD members are just a fraction of the buying public. Who cares about what we say here, for the majority since it's NEW then BUY.

or just an honest mistake?

I don't buy this. I can't imagine this to be an honest mistake, the inconsistency is from A-Z.

We have the old P199 release and the DVD is exactly the same.

The new DVD was supposed to have DD5.1, WS and a whole lot of special features as stated in the label. That's why I referred to it as "label engineering" - they changed the cover art for the same old DVD.

The no brainer comparison is that the DVD artwork and serial number on the new P550 release is exactly the same as the old P199 release.

The new one also isn't just a flawed version, it simply is the old P199 DVD packaged differently and priced at P550.

This is more like a SCAM to me.  >:(

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 07:42 AM »
I can't imagine this to be an honest mistake, the inconsistency is from A-Z.

This is more like a SCAM to me.  >:(

As a long-time collector of DVDs, I personally do not believe this to be a "scam". Unless their policy has changed recently, VIVA has always sold only imported discs for their Fox and Disney titles, with the discs coming from the same supplier throughout Region 3. It's just the packaging that's done locally - hence all the weird spelling/grammatical errors we always moan about here.

I've bought one of these "updated" Disney titles in the past, "Robin Hood: Most Wanted Edition." It did contain the proper disc contents for the new edition.

Let's not forget that sometimes companies do make honest mistakes. Even in the States, there was a huge issue with a MAJOR release like "Superman: The Ultimate Edition" containing the OLD version of "Superman III" despite the disc having the new version's cover art.

VIVA should, however, do a recall on this title and investigate the issue - check with the head office if there was a production flaw. I'm not so sure that will happen in a Third World setting where this title will be on sale for 299? 199? 150? within the next couple of months, though.

Thanks for bringing this problem to our attention, espace. It's nice to get warnings like this on these forums.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2008 at 07:47 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline espace

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: The Aristocats R3 "Special Edition" - NOT SPECIAL!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 08:07 AM »

Scam might not be the right word for this. Much too strong.

At this point, I am still considering this a "clerical error" which led to an assembly line flaw. (Wrong DVD packed in the new packaging)

The Viva promo however, sounded knowledgeable of the fact that it was the old version DVD in the new pack but gave in to my request of opening a new DVD at the store to check that it was the same thing. Again she was willing to take my complaint about it to their next meeting.

Maximize your options.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 09:15 AM »
Whoa!!

good thing I don't buy fully priced DVD's
I really hope VIVA fixes this because, generally their Disney releases are OK naman.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM »
I didn't get the R1, knowing that the upgrade is marginal.  Been waiting for the R3.  Too bad, this happens.  Buti na lang it was not available in my area, or else I would have bought it (and returned it unless it stays unopened like a few of my other DVDs).

It's been awhile since Viva botched a Disney release (misspellings on case don't count!).  Thanks for the headsup espace. You'd save a lot of buyers a lot of work (and Viva a lot of sales :) ).
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 07:47 PM »
Agree with Mr.Hankey, VIVA should do a recall and replace the copies of those who bought, or better to give their money back. They can do that by making an announcement here and especially at the retail stores, then they come clean. If they dont, then my comment remains on them.  ;)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2008 at 07:49 AM »
Somebody should report this to DTI  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2008 at 10:32 AM »
Let's wait until VIVA admits of this error.

It could be that they did not know it was the old edition.
It's also their first time to screw up a disney release in a long while.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2008 at 10:32 AM by juancho »

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2008 at 10:29 PM »
It's good to know that this has been pulled-out already.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 12:20 AM »
It may have been pulled out in Astro stores, but I still saw a copy in Robinson's DVD stall.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 12:35 AM »
O / Odyssey already pulled out. Hopefully the rest follows.

Offline espace

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 02:20 AM »

When we visited Astro Festi Friday 4/25/08, there were no more copies of this title on the shelves, they must have pulled it out immediately. Couldn't talk to the Viva promo, as we had to get back home right away.

incidentally, if it wasn't for Astro's "liberal" (I guess selective) returns policy, this would have been a most unpleasant experience. As has been my experience since 2000, any DVD I have complained about was either exchanged or replaced without question. In this particular case, I ended up getting replacements worth P550 and purchasing the Doris Day Box set as well.

Btw, thanks, Mr. Hankey for separating this thread and making it sticky for a while. What's up doc?

Any word on Viva's plans to release the real Aristocats SE? I will still purchase this even at full price, since it is one of my daughter's favorites - FYI for this particular title, this SE was supposed to be a triple dip. We already have 2 copies of the original release.

Maximize your options.

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 06, 2008 at 06:53 PM »
I got this today at Odyseey MOA for P275 (part of Buy 1 Take 1 deal).
Looks like they finally fixed the worng disc issue at least for this copy.
The disk is the new Special Edition disk with complete features (as per the label) plus the bonus short (Bath Day) not mentioned on the label. It also includes the InterActual player software which runs when you insert it in a PC DVD drive.

The video is anamorphic widescreen will check the audio tonight at home.

The printing on the label is similar to the cover art.

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 06, 2008 at 07:06 PM »
I got this today at Odyseey MOA for P275 (part of Buy 1 Take 1 deal).
Looks like they finally fixed the worng disc issue at least for this copy.
The disk is the new Special Edition disk with complete features (as per the label) plus the bonus short (Bath Day) not mentioned on the label. It also includes the InterActual player software which runs when you insert it in a PC DVD drive.

The video is anamorphic widescreen will check the audio tonight at home.

The printing on the label is similar to the cover art.

That's great!! I'll buy copy soon enough  :D