Author Topic: OPPO DV983H  (Read 47683 times)

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: OPPO DV983H
« Reply #330 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:21 PM »
Honestly it was difficult to judge the 5 minute clips because most of us would judge the player based on PQ.
Not all players were calibrated for the best PQ possible.

This test, I believe was supposed to compare and contrast the performance of each player.

There's a difference with PQ and performance.
PQ can be adjusted and calibrated but, performance cannot.

I remember most of us were gaping at the striking colors and vibrant reds and greens while forgetting about the players technical performance.

Just my observation........
But all in all it was a very well organized event.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:22 PM by juancho »

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #331 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:29 PM »
Yes. That's another weakness. We could not adjust basic video parameters such as brightness, contrast, color for each individual player because of issues of time. Definitely, the players were not optimally calibrated.

Having said that, the judges were instructed to look at other stuff, which were more related to the player itself, such as jaggies, motion blur and detail.

Looking at the final results, I think that the broad conclusions are valid.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
« Reply #332 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:49 PM »
To me the shocker was the 980 ;D..I'm thinking tuloy to get this player ;D
Looks so goooood for the price..Man it looks excellent against ps3 and xa2 considering the price difference. If money is no object, I would get the 983 hehe..
Ya I agree bec of time constraint we cant calibrate every player. I just wish we calibrated the 981 bec it really looked bad, there is something wrong ;D.

Offline sanmig_ph

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #333 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:50 PM »
sir mark & sir paul thanks for organizing this EB & showing us your wonderful theater room sir mark. I will never forget my experience this day,kakarating ko lang sa house & sulit ang commute na 3 hrs.
this is a dream theater room for us & i will work so hard to achieve my goals of having this kind of dedicated theater room in the future.

mga Fafs nice meeting you all :D

He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:54 PM »
Hehe. At the end, I think the happiest guy was ESi kasi ang ganda nga ng performance ng 980.

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM »
Hehe. At the end, I think the happiest guy was ESi kasi ang ganda nga ng performance ng 980.

last man stand yung 980 ni Sir Esi, kaya pala late panalo eh  ;)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #336 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM »
Thank you too to all the gentlemen who took some of their precious weekend time off to participate in this meaningful event & also your contribution in lending your players, DVDs & not to mention all the delicious food. It's great to catch up old faces again & a pleasure to meet new faces. :)

A high salute & thanks to Streetsmart (Mark) for allowing us to use his dedicated HT for this shootout. Great system. Great demo. I like the Pop Corn demo! ;D

It was complete with score cards, very comfortable seating, a truly well calibrated HT, siomai, chips and dips, Pansit malabon, and an assortment of drinks.

Aik...I was late & all the food almost finished na... LOL  :P

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2008 at 11:09 PM by pchin »

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 11:15 PM »
yep, i agree with you sir paul Pop Corn demo is ok. kaya na delay tayo ng konti eh  ;D

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #338 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 11:19 PM »
We had intended to do an SD vs BD test and a guessing test, wherein the judge guesses whether the disc is BD or SD. Masaya yun kasaya maraming daya kami ni Paul Chin, using processors, *special* discs and *special* players. Due to time constraints, di naman nagawa.

It's good we are able to reserve some bullets to shoot in future.  :D

Due to the good response, maybe we can consider to organize another shootout in the near future with the above mentioned parameter. What say you Mark? ;D

I just wish we calibrated the 981 bec it really looked bad, there is something wrong ;D.

Hmm...I'm curious of this too...maybe we can have a "revisit" shootout for the top 4 players in future? :)
Can the owner of OPPO 981 confirm/check what setting the player used during the testing?

Offline mercury724

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Collector
  • Ask 1 2 b 1
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 01:00 AM »
let me first of all thank sir mark and paul for organizing the eb/ shootout. pasensya mga sirs for being late, this was my very first eb as a pdvd member, i was very much impressed with sir mark's home theater setup, it was a very well organized shoot out, and nice meeting  the rest of the cool pipol who where there. :) sayang i have to leave before the second round i wanted to stay pa sana pero something came up so had to leave early. by the way the results of the players are quite interesting and informative! maraming salamat po ulit sir paul and sir mark.
Me U Cnt P@ss

Offline gearhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 03:26 AM »
Hmm...I'm curious of this too...maybe we can have a "revisit" shootout for the top 4 players in future? :)
Can the owner of OPPO 981 confirm/check what setting the player used during the testing?

i've checked the oppo dv-981 settings already and i now think i know where the problem lies.

the manifest problem that we were quite surprised about is the seeming lack of picture contrast. it really seems too low for our taste and color appears washed out. i browsed the items in the video tab of the oppo player and there is a setting there for "RGB Range" with a choice between "Normal" and "Enhanced". it was set at the "normal" mode when it was tested in the shootout. switching it to the "enhanced" mode, there is a very definite change in the picture contrast... closer to the picture balance of the other players.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #341 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 07:31 AM »
i've checked the oppo dv-981 settings already and i now think i know where the problem lies.

the manifest problem that we were quite surprised about is the seeming lack of picture contrast. it really seems too low for our taste and color appears washed out. i browsed the items in the video tab of the oppo player and there is a setting there for "RGB Range" with a choice between "Normal" and "Enhanced". it was set at the "normal" mode when it was tested in the shootout. switching it to the "enhanced" mode, there is a very definite change in the picture contrast... closer to the picture balance of the other players.

aha! sayang, shocker talaga yang 981 dun sa shoot-out, maybe if there is to be a part two, then it can come back prepared so to speak.

btw, ayos nga rin yung popcorn!  ::)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 07:55 AM »
It's good we are able to reserve some bullets to shoot in future.  :D

Due to the good response, maybe we can consider to organize another shootout in the near future with the above mentioned parameter. What say you Mark? ;D

Let's rest for a while.  ;D ;D

Don't worry. We should be able to think of another good excuse to do an EB. Maybe, something like Christmas.  ;D ;D

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 07:57 AM »

Ay sayang, I really wanted to see this player in pure form, with all cylinders running. Im sure its a great player also.  I also hope there will be a part 2, Lets start at 12pm? hehe...Early lunch at home hehe..

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #344 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 09:01 AM »
Congrats to all the people who participated in the event especially to the organizers. I hope that next time I can participate too on this kind of event and meet you guys at makakain ng masasarap nyong dala.  :)  ;D I 'm very disappointed with Pio dv600  that it didn't even make it to the midfield.  :( I was also shocked with the result of the shoot-out and Oppo 983 being the winner. I thought it would just be behind the BDP  but I didn't expect it to win. Congrats sa'yo!  ;D ;D

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 09:14 AM »
Ay sayang, I really wanted to see this player in pure form, with all cylinders running. Im sure its a great player also.  I also hope there will be a part 2, Lets start at 12pm? hehe...Early lunch at home hehe..

gearhead bro thanks for checking the 981 performance as the groups requested ;)
sayang we did not check the settings,i hope ma test pa din to see how good this player :D

Offline revskie

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 09:25 AM »
Guys,

Like how close is the SD PQ quality of the 983 to a BR PQ?

75%? 80? 90? 100? ;D

Thanks,

Revskie

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 09:27 AM »
To my eyes it looked really close.

Yung The Rock Criterion disc looked HD to me while being played on the 983.

It also depends on the movie your playing eh
If it's a recent big budget movie then it would look close to close to HD.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2008 at 09:29 AM by juancho »

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 09:32 AM »
;D I 'm very disappointed with Pio dv600  that it didn't even make it to the midfield.  :( I was also shocked with the result of the shoot-out and Oppo 983 being the winner. I thought it would just be behind the BDP  but I didn't expect it to win. Congrats sa'yo!  ;D ;D

bro dyerds, don't be too hard on our dv-600. i tell you it did came down fighting.

First round
983 d. Pio 600 6:3
A35 d. BD30 5:4
980 d. PS3 5:4
XA2 d. 981 10:0

as you can see, the pio was up against a very strong contender. but if you have seen the same clips as played through these players, there wasn't really any significant difference. both pictures appeared crisp and contrasty. you'll be really hard-pressed to pick a better one.

although it was really a different matter in the performance test as you can really see the jaggies for example. but then, in real world situations... only OC people such as us would really notice.   ;D

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 09:37 AM »
bro dyerds, don't be too hard on our dv-600. i tell you it did came down fighting.

as you can see, the pio was up against a very strong contender. but if you have seen the same clips as played through these players, there wasn't really any significant difference. both pictures appeared crisp and contrasty. you'll be really hard-pressed to pick a better one.

although it was really a different matter in the performance test as you can really see the jaggies for example. but then, in real world situations... only OC people such as us would really notice.   ;D

i agree with you bro,1st round is marginal difference lang to my eyes.
but 983 has better details & less jaggies

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 09:45 AM »
Indeed when King Kong was playing on the pio-dv600 vs Oppo 983

I will admit that I was hard-pressed deciding which was which.

In the end
I was one of the 3 who blindly picked the Pio   ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2008 at 09:45 AM by juancho »

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 09:54 AM »
i picked out the oppo-983, but to tell you honestly... i choose one just more for the sake of choosing, although i would like to believe that A (983) has perceptively a little more detail and color balance. but perceptions can be wrong, you know.

on the final round, i again chose 983 (B i think?) coz of a perceptively more pleasing rendition... but nothing you would trash the other contender out. we're all pretty much splitting hairs there.

the 981 picture though was no contest as it appeared really washed out. but again it's more of the default setting it came in with. as we can see during the performance test, it came up just behind the high-end players. i will do a personal testing of the unit again later.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 10:03 AM »
I guess the BD30's pathetic SD DVD performance dragged it down. Or was it scored based purely on its HD performance? But a Upconversion player defeating the vaunted PS3 is something. Did you use only a SD DVD reference disc to test on both the OPPO 980 vs PS3? Or did you use a reference SD DVD on the OPPO 980 and a blu version on the PS3? (SD DVD Criterion's Rock vs Blu version's Rock) What reference HD test discs did use for HD DVD and BD?
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2008 at 10:12 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #353 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 10:17 AM »
Nice to hear that our Pio still fight till the end. Go Pacquiao! Este Pio pala. ;D  It really means a lot that someone still voted on our Pio because it still really do good side by side with those expensive players. Sayang nga lang at hindi nakasama para nakita ko rin yung nakita nyo.  ;)

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 10:22 AM »
I guess the BD30's pathetic SD DVD performance dragged it down. Or was it scored based purely on its HD performance? But a Upconversion player defeating the vaunted PS3 is something. Did you use only a SD DVD reference disc to test on both the OPPO 980 vs PS3? Or did you use a reference SD DVD on the OPPO 980 and a blu version on the PS3? (SD DVD Criterion's Rock vs Blu version's Rock) What reference HD test discs did use for HD DVD and BD?

i think this is more a test on the SD performance. an SD vs. BD test (plus some others) was in the program but due to time constraints we only managed to finish the SD performance shootout.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 10:34 AM »
i think this is more a test on the SD performance. an SD vs. BD test (plus some others) was in the program but due to time constraints we only managed to finish the SD performance shootout.

For HD Players, expected naman ang poor performance since secondary lang ang SD DVD upconversion. :) At least the PS3 SD DVD HQV performance puts other real upconversion SD DVD players to shame... ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2008 at 11:02 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 12:44 PM »
astig! congrats sa shoot-out! 983 is the best dvdp in the market today pala talaga =)
im still happy with the results of the PS3  ;D

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 12:52 PM »
For HD Players, expected naman ang poor performance since secondary lang ang SD DVD upconversion. :) At least the PS3 SD DVD HQV performance puts other real upconversion SD DVD players to shame... ;D

The ps3 did really well nga. I was surprised also. This was a player I really remembered when playing Hollow Man superbit versus the 980. I thought it was really like hidef. Actually I thought it was bluray, no kidding. I even commented after the test to Sir Mark I thought that  yun player na yan was really awesome. What player is that? I told them its the best I saw so far,  but it could be the disc lang. The finals playing The Rock also were the best I saw and its really so close na it is just magnificent. Now the big question is: With the performance of the 980 which is so so excellent versus the ps3 and xa2, Will you buy this player?
Lets calculate: Oppo 980 = 169usd with your 300 to 600 dvds you already have, all region pa the player
                     or Ps3 = 399usd, region locked and have to buy bluray discs all over again at 20 to 28 dollars a pop w/o a sale.
Hmm..which would one choose is the big question. Will people wait for bluray players to be 199usd and discs at 8 to 15 dollars? or just go ahead and buy a great dvd player, one shot, and play all your dvd library again. Or will they just buy the Popcorn ;D, impressive simply impressive ;D

I almost pulled the trigger last nite on the 980 when I came home (I think I will soon ;D), Bad influence talaga is ESI ;D..Dinala pa kasi yun excellent 980 niya. ;D..If I had the money, no budget concerns, huge screens, no questions asked I will really get the 983. Thats just me..A big advantage to me is the region free player talaga.

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 01:05 PM »
Congrats guys! Nice to know the shootout turned out well.  ;)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 01:37 PM »
Actually, the PS3 should have won the HQV benchmark test because it has a very good noise reduction feature which the other players don't have (not even the VP50Pro). The problem was that the noise reduction was not activated. Otherwise, it would have gotten many more points.

The result is actually not surprising because based on specs and reputation, I expected the 983 and the XA2 to be the best.

As moks007 has pointed out, what was surprising was the performance of the Oppo 980. Mura lang sya but it was really good. Kaya sobra tuwa ni ESi.  ;D

Of course, the really funny thing is that the best player was probably the Popcorn pero syempre may daya yun kasi 720p material.  ;D