Author Topic: OPPO DV983H  (Read 47712 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: OPPO DV983H
« Reply #360 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 01:38 PM »
Nasaan na ang mga picture?
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #361 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 01:40 PM »
Nice to hear that our Pio still fight till the end. Go Pacquiao! Este Pio pala. ;D  It really means a lot that someone still voted on our Pio because it still really do good side by side with those expensive players. Sayang nga lang at hindi nakasama para nakita ko rin yung nakita nyo.  ;)

i own a pio 600 too, but based on the hqv test, it failed miserably talaga, we really thought it was a goner when the head to head tests comes. that is why i remembered when the 981 was playing the rock (i think) with its washed out colors, i remebered sir angelo (esi) was telling me, "mukhang yon yung pioneer 600" and i agreed then. that's why all were surprised that the pio was the one who went head to head with the eventual winner 983 playing king kong during round one. sobrang konti lang ang difference. as i said in my earlier post here, hirap mamili, i think everybody were a little pressured in choosing a player doon sa head to head, specially with sir mark saying that if we choose the wrong player, we will be suspended sa pdvd...  ;D ;D ;D 

but in the end, i think the last two players 983 and xa2 were the best in upscaling sd materials, parang hd na talaga.

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #362 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 02:41 PM »
Nasaan na ang mga picture?

Oo nga. Show us the pics please.

Offline gearhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 05:23 PM »
some of the pics are with my brother (there are four cameras there). for sure he will upload them later.

i'll just take this time to thank our usual superb and gracious host sir mark aka streetsmart and the one who made all this happen, sir paul aka pchin. two thumbs up for these two guys.   ;)
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #364 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 08:05 PM »
Don't worry. We should be able to think of another good excuse to do an EB. Maybe, something like Christmas.  ;D ;D

Christmas "SD vs BD" Shootout EB? ;D

Offline jgl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #365 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 08:15 PM »
Great test!  I'm curious.... where do you think an XBOX360 playing SD via VGA to an LCD (1366 x 768) be comparable to any of these?
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2008 at 08:17 PM by jgl »

Offline JollyBMcDonald

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM »
Updated 6/30/08:

First of all, thanks to Sir Mark (streetsmart) for the warm reception and to Sir Paul Chin (pchin) for tirelessly setting up/switching back and forth the equipments used in the shootout.  Though we came a little later than the call time, we were graciously accommodated by the host.  We also meet some old and new faces and I can say they're all very nice.  They didn't reprimand us for being late.  ;)  

This was my 2nd time at Sir Mark's place,  and it was no ordinary EB as we were like judging a major competition.  ;D  If only you  can see the looks in everybody's eyes while we were seriously looking out for flaws in each of the  players....   ;D  

So for those who missed this very rare opportunity to match up the best DVD/HD players in the market today, here are the pics of the event.   My memory's not really designed for remembering names so my apologies to those i forgot and to those present at the event, kindly fill in the missing names.

Click on the picture for a larger view...

Before the shootout....  (Merienda food's aplenty)

This is no easy job, so...... a full stomach is essential.

Check out how grand streetsmart's theatre is.

The Control Station.... this is no professional cinema. I swear this is just a home theatre.... a kick ass one, that is...

The contenders upclose..

The judges....  still in disbelief what went wrong with the Oppo981 who flunked the actual test

Discussing the results...

So what's the verdict ???

This is harder than i thought...

We still got time to test the popcorn hour, right?

The Gang
                            From left to right:  Saxman (Dennis), iiinaslao, zedric,  Streetsmart (Sir Mark), JollyBMcDonald (Jess [V]),
                            moks007 , ESI, Sanmig_ph (Joel), juancho,  Gearhead (Joey - left, seated)

One more time.... now with feelings

From left to right:  Saxman (Dennis), zedric, juancho, moks007 , Sanmig_ph (Joel),
                            Streetsmart (Sir Mark), ESI, JollyBMcDonald (Jess [V]), iiinaslao, Gearhead (Joey - seated)

Screenshot of streetsmart's PJ screen....

As i've mentioned, this is my 2nd invitation to Sir Mark's haven ... and I won't get tired of going to Sir Mark's place due to the fact that i may never have an HT like his in my lifetime.... i just hope Sir Mark's gonna include us again in his future EBs.   ;)

JollyBMcDonald  8)
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2008 at 09:16 PM by JollyBMcDonald »
Triumph is just "umph" added to "try".

Offline Saxman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Parabellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #367 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM »
nice shots, jess!  :D

thanks to sir mark and paul for organizing this shoot out and for the hospitality.  more power to you guys!!!  :D  more EB! more EB! more EB!  ;D

Offline sanmig_ph

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #368 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 12:42 AM »
sir jess nice shots ;) sir paul, na miss ka namin sa picture.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008 at 11:46 AM by sanmig_ph »
He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 07:09 AM »
Ang galing ng pictures! Thanks!

The unidentified guys in the first group pic ("The Gang"), from left to right, are: iiinaslao, zedric, moks007 and juancho.

Wala si Paul sa group pic kasi he had to rush to a meeting. Wala rin si mercury724 kasi he also left early.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #370 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 08:59 AM »
I wonder why nakapikit mata ko in 2 of the pictures.
 :(

I wasn't able to project  :D

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 09:52 AM »
Here's my contribution to the pictures taken on my ever reliable Jurassic 2 MP P&S Camera

Nakabawi ang Dark Horse ko. From 2nd to the last to 3rd just behind Mr. Reon and Mr. VRS.

Just like Mark said, Im one Happy and Contented fellow. Obvious naman di ba? :D

The Equiptment on Test
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 10:03 AM »
By the way, the screenshot of Halle Berry is coming from the Pio 696, but passing through the VP50Pro. Most important, the source is ... Blu-r**  ;D

Incredible quality.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 10:05 AM »
Ang sarap naman ng tawa ni ESi sa pictures nya.  ;D ;D

Congrats!  :)

Offline JollyBMcDonald

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 09:15 PM »
I already updated the names, again my apologies to those whose names i forgot.  BTW, the screenshot didn't give justice to the true quality of the screen but it's just to give those who are not there an idea of what we were lookin' at during the judging.

The photo quality isn't that sharp as the lighting is not so ideal but if there'll be a next time (i hope), I'll be ready with my flash.

To iiinaslao, zedric, moks007, sanmig_ph and juancho  who i met for the 1st time, nice meeting you guys.  :)

JollyBMcDonald  8)
Triumph is just "umph" added to "try".

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 12:19 AM »
Ayos :D Parang NBA Conference play-offs... may seeded na players, may dark horse etc... :D
Seems 980 yung dark horse di lang umabot sa finals, parang new orleans :D
Yung 983 naman parang Boston, umpisa palang nang season alam mo nang lalaban sa finals :D
Kung may other side of the conference... anu-anu kayang gadgets yun? Baka nandun yung XBOX 360 hddvd add-on, sony bd, ht pc etc. ;D

Congrats Guys!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #376 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 12:32 AM »

To iiinaslao, zedric, moks007, sanmig_ph and juancho  who i met for the 1st time, nice meeting you guys.  :)

JollyBMcDonald  8)

nice meeting you too sir jess. sa uulitin...  ;D

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #377 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 04:52 PM »
Thanks guys for sharing your findings. Really helpful to us guys considering new sources. Just a couple of questions if I may:  What's the HQV benchmark and does the close score between the PS3 and 983 mean almost the same ang performance nila sa SD upscaling?
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008 at 04:58 PM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #378 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 06:05 PM »
What's the HQV benchmark and does the close score between the PS3 and 983 mean almost the same ang performance nila sa SD upscaling?

You can refer here for more info :)
http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm

Yup, PS3 performance is very impressive too & near OPPO 983.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008 at 06:05 PM by pchin »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 07:26 PM »
PS3 has incredible SD performance. Only problem is that it is region-locked.

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 10:19 PM »
Ang sarap naman ng tawa ni ESi sa pictures nya.  ;D ;D

Congrats!  :)

Hehe. Aside from owning a 980, I got a US 60G PS3 too!!! Moreover, IF ever I got a PJ I wont think twice in getting a 983 myself!!! Its truly AWESOME!!!

Just reviewed by HQV score card, I couldn't believe  :o that the PS3 scored a 97 and the 983 got a 93. But I suspect it was because my eyes were fully accomodated to the lighting by the time the PS3 (which was the last player tested) was playing. But during the PQ testing, IMHO the 983 was clearly ahead. Bottomline is that one cant go wrong with any of these two players!!!
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008 at 10:20 PM by ESi »
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 11:02 PM »
Now I'm thinking twice about getting the 983 pa.  I have a PS3 and I tried just once playing SD on it - original Region 3 Transformers - but I found the quality to be far inferior to BD. Have'nt tried it recently with all the PS3 firmware upgrades though. Could those have improved the PQ?

Anyone selling a 980?  ;D 
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline ramsey

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 11:35 PM »
Kailan kaya magkakaroon ng Oppo983 dito sa atin?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 10:46 AM »
Now I'm thinking twice about getting the 983 pa.  I have a PS3 and I tried just once playing SD on it - original Region 3 Transformers - but I found the quality to be far inferior to BD. Have'nt tried it recently with all the PS3 firmware upgrades though. Could those have improved the PQ?

Anyone selling a 980?  ;D 

depends on when you upgraded your ps3 firmware and when you bought your ps3, the old 60gb ps3's factory firmware can't upscale dvds, but i think for all the 40gb ps3, the firmware that can upscale dvd are already set for those units.

but based on what i have seen, the ps3 do nice upscaling of dvds.

so it really depends on what your ps3 is, and if you have upgraded your firmware to let it upscale dvds.

update 1.8 june 2007 gives ps3 the upscaling feature.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 10:35 PM »
Its an Asian 80 gigger.  So many firmware upgrades I've lost track already.  Using it for BD and gaming only (MGS4 rocks!). Question:  Is it your opinion that the 980 will more than satisfy my desire to have a rockin' upscaling DVD player?  That the performance delta versus the 983 isn't so big as to justify the price diff?   :)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #385 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 12:55 PM »
Its an Asian 80 gigger.  So many firmware upgrades I've lost track already.  Using it for BD and gaming only (MGS4 rocks!). Question:  Is it your opinion that the 980 will more than satisfy my desire to have a rockin' upscaling DVD player?  That the performance delta versus the 983 isn't so big as to justify the price diff?   :)

not an expert, but based on the discussions of the participants during the shoot out, 980 is recommened for small screens as upscaler (42" down) and 981 and 983 for screens bigger than that, and of course the price is also a consideration since the 983 is more than twice the cost at $399 and $169 only for the 980.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #386 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 03:08 PM »
After the shoot-out, I am now actually seriously considering the Oppo 980

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
« Reply #387 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 04:43 PM »
After the shoot-out, I am now actually seriously considering the Oppo 980

Me too, really itching, I'm trying to hold out as much as possible.. ;D..because I wanna check out  the toshiba superupconverts muna. This I think has the cell processor also, same as the ps3. With how the ps3 scored here in the shootout, I'm already imagining how good these toshibas can be. If they really can perform what some are saying..Wow..This is the only thing holding me back purchasing the 980 right now (my wife gave me an ultimatum on last dvd player purchase dapat) I have to get the BEST ;D, if not for this superupconverts I already clicked the Buy Now in Amazon for the 980 ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #388 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 04:52 PM »
Me too, really itching, I'm trying to hold out as much as possible.. ;D..because I wanna check out  the toshiba superupconverts muna. This I think has the cell processor also, same as the ps3. With how the ps3 scored here in the shootout, I'm already imagining how good these toshibas can be. If they really can perform what some are saying..Wow..This is the only thing holding me back purchasing the 980 right now (my wife gave me an ultimatum on last dvd player purchase dapat) I have to get the BEST ;D, if not for this superupconverts I already clicked the Buy Now in Amazon for the 980 ;D

sir raymond, kelan ba labas nitong superupconverting player ng toshiba? looks like a good option nga, if they are employing sony's cell chip.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
« Reply #389 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 05:19 PM »
sir raymond, kelan ba labas nitong superupconverting player ng toshiba? looks like a good option nga, if they are employing sony's cell chip.

Hello sir, they said within this year ata,
check this out:
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=67118