Author Topic: NMT / Media Player Comparisons  (Read 144352 times)

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NMT / Media Player Comparisons
« Reply #450 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 03:59 PM »
Sir also some questions with the new models of NMT.

1. is 3tb internal HD recommended or up to 2tb only? read somewhere that 3tb drives heat up fast. What if lets say you place it inside a PCH a300 a unit without fan?
2. the network media jukebox (popcorn hour a300) is it easy to use?or you still need to attach your player to a pc to configure everything?
3. Language and Subtitle Support (powered by opensubtitles.org) feature on the a300 - is it easy to use din or you still have to connect your player to a PC to configure?
4. Any other NMT that offers the same features above ( nos. 2 and 3)
5. Is the PQ and SQ really noticeable between sigma 8647 compared to realtek 1186 chips?
6. What other applications are useful nowadays with new models of NMTS?

Sorry I have plenty of questions, I just want to know every detail before i go ahead and purchase/uprade my media player.

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #451 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 04:55 PM »
1. 3TB works on the 200 series but you need to format NTFS. On 300 series standard ext2 partitioning works.
2. It's easy to use IF you follow the naming conventions for movies to be properly found.
3. On the 300 series, you can download subtitles from the unit itself (no PC)
4. dunno
5. YES unless you use a smaller TV (32" and smaller)
6. Youtube, Streaming Radio etc

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #452 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 05:35 PM »
1. 3TB works on the 200 series but you need to format NTFS. On 300 series standard ext2 partitioning works.
2. It's easy to use IF you follow the naming conventions for movies to be properly found.
3. On the 300 series, you can download subtitles from the unit itself (no PC)
4. dunno
5. YES unless you use a smaller TV (32" and smaller)
6. Youtube, Streaming Radio etc

Thanks ofr the response sir! just some follow up questions hope you dont mind...

1. do 3tb hdd's heat up fast?are they recommended for units without internal fans?
2. what if you download it directly from the net through torrent?naka name kaya sila properly or i have to rename it again using a pc?
4. how about the a210 model does it have the subtitle feature and the nmj as well?

Im just trying to justify if the price of sigma model nmts are worth the price. thanks for the

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #453 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 08:38 PM »
1. If heat is a concern, look for green drives (5400 or 5900rpm). Mine is on 24x7 no aircon with 1TB HD.

2. Yes you will have to rename as these files usually deviate or deliberately misspell sometimes to avoid being scanned by the copyright owners.

4. 200 series does not have subtitle download YET. It will come but I don't wanna promise it till it's actually in the firmware already.

Offline mikz023

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #454 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 08:48 PM »
Sir if we use a dock station is it recommendable if we use a 7200rpm hdd since it's open in the air?
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2011 at 09:32 PM by mikz023 »

Offline alfa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #455 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 08:56 PM »
What NMT has the fastest interface. Search title, read from disc, switch from internal to external drive etc?

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 09:21 PM »
Sir if you use a dock station is it recommendable if you use a 7200rpm hdd since it's open in the air?

I remember answering this before. I can't use a dock station kasi meron akong anak na MAKULIT at baka hatakin yung drive dahil akala niya parang lego ha ha ha.

NMT with fastest interface tend to be realtek based ones. Usually if you check the downloaded firmware and their file sizes, the smaller firmware files will tend to be faster while the big firmware files tend to be more full featured at the expense of slower responsiveness.

Offline mikz023

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 09:32 PM »
Erratum. Not you "we" pla dapat sir..  :D ok lng b gmitin namin ang 7200rpm na hdd sa dock station since open air naman,?
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2011 at 09:33 PM by mikz023 »

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 09:45 PM »
I'm sure pwede naman. I've been running servers in data centers running 24x7 for 15 years and I still have old 40GB drives that became obsolete before they could die naturally.

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #459 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 03:56 AM »
The 3TB on NTFS filesystem is limited to 2TB so you will see the remaining partition  as another drive.

I got a few 3TB to consolidate my collections in one place,and retire my 1.5TB pero the above is a sticky point but I am not complaining, just hated to hit the 2TB filesystem limitation of NTFS.

has anyone seen the 3TB as one partition from their NMT?
toy

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 06:12 AM »
The 3TB on NTFS filesystem is limited to 2TB so you will see the remaining partition  as another drive.

I got a few 3TB to consolidate my collections in one place,and retire my 1.5TB pero the above is a sticky point but I am not complaining, just hated to hit the 2TB filesystem limitation of NTFS.

has anyone seen the 3TB as one partition from their NMT?

so if you place a 3tb internal drive inside an nmt lalabas sya as 2 drives?paano sa jukebox un sir seperate din ba?

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #461 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 06:54 AM »
so if you place a 3tb internal drive inside an nmt lalabas sya as 2 drives?paano sa jukebox un sir seperate din ba?

I currently run a dated C200 fw but IIRC NMJ sees across disk farm (array of disks) SATA, USB but best to let best to get confirm  from PCH users.
toy

Online comet

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #462 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 07:11 AM »
Sir Jim I was able to see my 3tb as 1 partition with my A210.  After formatting you have to convert it to a GPT disk using a dock with 3tb support.   

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #463 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 07:33 AM »
Sir Jim I was able to see my 3tb as 1 partition with my A210.  After formatting you have to convert it to a GPT disk using a dock with 3tb support.   

uy ok yan, share the procedure para ma latag ng 3TB :) NTFS pa kasi lahat ko, does it interfere when you shift back to desktop?
toy

Offline mikz023

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 09:22 AM »
Sir jim, ask ko lang ano un ibig sabihin ng cloning support sa dock station? TIA  :)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 09:35 AM »
I dont think it's a file system (NTFS) issue.  It's a partition table thing diba that's why 3TB makers are suggesting that GPT must be selected when the drive is initialized.  But what do I know - I havent actually used a 3TB.  Hehehe

Tapos those external 3TBs with USB2.0 are readily recognized as 3TB in a single partition because built-in na sa SATA-USB bridge within the external drive yung GPT.  Ubod nga lang ng bagal ng USB2.0 for sure kaya hindi ko binibili.

Anyway, I dont mind having 2 partitions if that is the case, as long as I can utilize the entire capacity of the HDD.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #466 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 09:44 AM »

Hi Comet,

Di ba dapat the partition table type (GPT) is selected first (during HDD initialization), and then the HDD is formatted to NTFS while setting the partition to max size (single partition)?  Just imagining how I should go through it when I finally get my hands on the 3TB and a new dock.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2011 at 09:50 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #467 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 06:34 PM »
Sir jim, ask ko lang ano un ibig sabihin ng cloning support sa dock station? TIA  :)

Plug your disk in front , plug blank disk at rear slot
Double press copy button, front disk clones to rear disk. No pc needed.

Disk source must be equal or smaller than rear disk.

Yes , 1tb content can be moved to 2tb blank disk, and extend The partition later

@Clondalkin, i never dove into dpt and ntfs kasi me laman Si 3tb ko when I got it, was told why 2 partitions but ;) hoping comet can enlighten us and us save time. Would be great to see 3tb as 1 chunk sa mediasonic USB 3 4 bay (I still kick myself Dahil ende ko na migrate Ang 2tb ko to 3tb before the freakin' increase).

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2011 at 06:37 PM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #468 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 06:53 PM »
^ correct, initialize it with GPT then format it in NTFS. tried it with a210 for numerous clients..  ;D

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #469 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 07:39 PM »
^ correct, initialize it with GPT then format it in NTFS. tried it with a210 for numerous clients..  ;D

Share naman the tool URL.

sounds like no workaround if disks are already partitioned into 2 (2TB + 1TB).

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2011 at 07:41 PM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline HD_MOVIES

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 08:31 PM »
Share naman the tool URL.

sounds like no workaround if disks are already partitioned into 2 (2TB + 1TB).

normal disk manager lang ng windows..

in your case, i think wala talaga but to transfer muna sa 2 disk then format GPT/NTFS then copy back.. :)

You can only convert basic MBR disks without any partitions or volumes into a GPT disk. Back up your data and then delete all partitions or volumes before converting the disk.

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #471 on: Dec 19, 2011 at 08:29 PM »
normal disk manager lang ng windows..

in your case, i think wala talaga but to transfer muna sa 2 disk then format GPT/NTFS then copy back.. :)

done,

Just make sure your NMT supports 3TB, as not all supports 3TB.
toy

Offline klpangan

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 01:29 PM »
Hi All,

I am looking for a good NMT that is not expensive with a hot swap internal enclosure on it. As of now am eyeing for Measy X6. Is there a different brand I can look into. Please advice....

Thanks

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: Dec 30, 2011 at 05:40 AM »
Hi All,

I am looking for a good NMT that is not expensive with a hot swap internal enclosure on it. As of now am eyeing for Measy X6. Is there a different brand I can look into. Please advice....

Thanks

bro,

By brand (Realtek)-- Egreat, Kaiboer, Asus, Mede8er,Measy,etc since realtek based units are more affordable. they just vary on features such as front display , front control buttons, built in power switch, removeable disk trays, wifi, USB 2.0/USB 3.0

By chip (realtek older to latest chip) - 1055 (2D no network), 1073(2D, networked), 1185(2D,networked), 1186(3D)

Its a disk tray but not really meant for "hot-swap". Since term means, while powered up,  you can plug and unplug disks.

If on a budget but want the internal, i find Measy X6 as a basic HD player,  Note Measy X6 < 5k  lang game ka na, may USB 3.0 + SD/MMC slave port pa.  But sa UI is another thing.

HTH
toy

Offline klpangan

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #474 on: Dec 30, 2011 at 09:29 AM »
bro,

By brand (Realtek)-- Egreat, Kaiboer, Asus, Mede8er,Measy,etc since realtek based units are more affordable. they just vary on features such as front display , front control buttons, built in power switch, removeable disk trays, wifi, USB 2.0/USB 3.0

By chip (realtek older to latest chip) - 1055 (2D no network), 1073(2D, networked), 1185(2D,networked), 1186(3D)

Its a disk tray but not really meant for "hot-swap". Since term means, while powered up,  you can plug and unplug disks.

If on a budget but want the internal, i find Measy X6 as a basic HD player,  Note Measy X6 < 5k  lang game ka na, may USB 3.0 + SD/MMC slave port pa.  But sa UI is another thing.

HTH

thanks bro for the info... ang dami na kasi NMT kakahilo.. para kasi sa erpat ko... trip niya yung measy and yung r200 mo di ko makita ang difference... both have internal bay gigbit lan ano pa ba?? any major difference.... pricing siguro heheh

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #475 on: Dec 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM »
thanks bro for the info... ang dami na kasi NMT kakahilo.. para kasi sa erpat ko... trip niya yung measy and yung r200 mo di ko makita ang difference... both have internal bay gigbit lan ano pa ba?? any major difference.... pricing siguro heheh

Yes. It can be.

I'd be a little forward to say:
For players with disks trays, you dont really need USB 3.0 (host) and Gigabit LAN, since you will do file transfers in a PC

Egreat R200 (1073)  - 10/100 base T
Measy X6 (1185) - Gbit LAN, draw tray
Egreat R200S (1186) - 10/100 base T, 3D HD Media player

For simple UI, R200 cuts it, its built like i tank, PM lang.
toy

Offline dinoalbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #476 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM »
Guys can you please advice where/what shop can I buy NMTs with reasonable prices?

The last NMT I have is an Egreat 31b from Ehome and it's defective already after more than 2 years....bumigay na raw ang board, hindi nila ma-repair. So I need to buy a replacement. Wala na akong alam ngayon kung anong bagong NMT ngayon. My Egreat works fine for me...my setup is simple, HDMI cable to my LCDTV and Optical cable to my Samsung HTIB for the audio/ dts encoding. I dont need the network since I use my PC to download movies and transfer files to from my hardisks. I dont need internet on it since I prefer to use my PC when browsing/ downloading. I only need an NMT that can play MKVs and all basic audio files....but I need those with Optical Out for my audio. What can you recommend po? Yung hindi expensive but works according to my needs. And which store do you recommend?

Thank you very much...

Offline HD_MOVIES

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM »
^ i would suggest get the wdtv live streaming..  ;D ;D; less than 6k ata..

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 04:40 AM »
If you go Realtek and still wish to stick it out with Egreat,  R6Aii (< 5k!)AFAIK if the cheapest 1185(all external), the Measy X6 is the cheapest 1185 that supports drive internally @ SATA connection speeds, but bare SATA R1-ii (< 5k!) checkout the prices for the other brands and compare.

Value for money, grab the 1185, skip 1055 or 1073 if budget allows.

Some prefer external drives to lengthen the HD player life (thinking internal  disks generate heat that could contribute to shortening the life of the board, but other players with internal fans should mitigate that concern. Some brands do passive cooling (fanless) but personally, i prefer that hot air inside the player to be taken out and fan will always help.

Before buying, suggest you visit shops where you can see  the brands side by side :)

HTH
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2012 at 04:34 PM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline reignman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 02:42 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this NMT thing and is still learning.

I own a BD Player & DVD Player and have a modest HT set-up at home.

I just have a few newbie questions if you don't mind.

1.  Is the picture quality of NMT's at par with BD's? DVD?
2.  How about the sound quality?
3.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of shifting to NMT's as opposed to BD's? (On top of the obvious savings from buying expensive Bluray disks)
4.  What would you suggest as the most cost-effective NMT brand for starters like me?
5.  Do these NMT's bundled w/HD's already have pre-loaded movies?

Appreciate your inputs masters!  Thanks!