Author Topic: SD vs BD vs Downloads  (Read 51285 times)

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2642
Re: SD vs BD
« Reply #240 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 01:30 PM »
ung laser disc nga dati di pwede magplay ng cd eh :D
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #241 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 01:40 PM »
ung laser disc nga dati di pwede magplay ng cd eh :D
iirc they were both released late 80's .. same technology i guess.  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #242 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 10:29 PM »
Laserdisc was a truly revolutionary technology, a fact that very few people appreciate.

In fact, the very first commercial optical media format was the Laserdisc.  Yes, it came even before the CD; and even before the computer CD-ROM.

iirc they were both released late 80's .. same technology i guess.  :D

Laserdisc was first released in Atlanta on December 15, 1978.  That's four years before the CD's 1982 release.

To come up with the CD, Sony and Philips just got the idea from the Laserdisc and released a digital audio optical disc in October 1982.  Amazingly, the CD is still the standard audio format today.

Afterwards, it was the computer industry that got in on the act.  Taking the idea from the CD, Sony and Philips developed the 1985 “Yellow Book” standard and adapted the format to hold any form of binary data.

All of them owe their existence to David Paul Gregg, who invented the technology with a transparent disc in 1958.

===============================================

And now, the latest disc:

Sony Applies Blu-ray Technology to Regular CDs
The Blu-spec CD
By Alex Vochin, Technology Editor
5th of November 2008, 09:06 GMT

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sony-Applies-Blu-ray-Technology-To-Regular-CDs-97183.shtml
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2008 at 03:08 AM by barrister »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Nov 06, 2008 at 05:27 AM »
so its possible to write HD files on a SD disk?  ;D
no more workaround in copying bluray movie on a standard dvd .. yeah!
ninjababez online ..

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 01:50 AM »
Just watched a Bluray and comparing it to the SD version, there's just so much more detail in HD (at least in Baraka, whose HD transfer was highly praised)...but the extra details make my mind focus on those instead of the movie.  So you could say I had more fun with the SD...  growing pains...
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2008 at 01:53 AM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #245 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 02:53 PM »
lets not forget that there was a time when our old dvd players couldnt play dvd9s   :P

When was this?

I bought one of the very first commercially available DVD players, a Pioneer DVL-9 combination LD/DVD player back in 1997, and it played DVD-9 discs flawlessly.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2008 at 03:13 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 04:07 PM »
...but the extra details make my mind focus on those instead of the movie.  So you could say I had more fun with the SD...  growing pains...

Masasanay ka rin.  Babalik din yun concentration mo on the movie itself  :)

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 05:02 PM »
Firmware updates are something that the mainstream would find hard to grasp and would normally outsource to technical people rather than doing it themselves even if it is easy. if sony can't come up with a bluray player that behaves in the same way as a dvd player in loading a disc, most people will not wait to look at the difference.

OT: I went to metrowalk and took a look at the pirated blu ray's in their realistic looking blu ray case. Funny that there are pirated blu rays of the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars Original Trilogy, etc. As far as i know, those haven't even been released in Hi Def yet.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #248 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 05:58 PM »

OT: I went to metrowalk and took a look at the pirated blu ray's in their realistic looking blu ray case. Funny that there are pirated blu rays of the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars Original Trilogy, etc. As far as i know, those haven't even been released in Hi Def yet.

hehehe, very true, thats why its also a hit and miss thing buying those bd /dvd9 jack sparrows. there is a higher chance of a good copy if you know that the bd version has been released already.  ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 10:28 PM »
When was this?
I bought one of the very first commercially available DVD players, a Pioneer DVL-9 combination LD/DVD player back in 1997, and it played DVD-9 discs flawlessly.
1999 - 2000, my sony and my friends apex could not read dvd9s ..
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 02:52 PM »
hehehe, very true, thats why its also a hit and miss thing buying those bd /dvd9 jack sparrows. there is a higher chance of a good copy if you know that the bd version has been released already.  ;D

On the contrary, there is actually a better chance of getting a perfect copy if it's a direct DVD to DVD transfer.

If it's a BD to SD DVD conversion, there's a 90% likelihood that the transcoding process is defective.  Errors such as motion judder, slo-mo scenes, and out-of-sync audio are common.

I have a standalone DVD player, BD player and NMT.  For now I don't buy DVDs anymore.  For titles not worth buying in Blu-ray format, I download and just watch thru my NMT..  ;D ;D ;D 

It's probably true that BD is facing stiff competition from HD downloads, judging from the high level of interest that the NMT board has been generating.

The longest thread in the HD board is the "PS3 as a blu-ray player" thread, with 57 pages since Nov. 2006.  The longest thread in the NMT board is the "Popcorn Hour A-100" thraead, with 14 pages since May 2008.  That's an average of 2.48 pages per month for PS3; and 2.33 pages per month for NMT.  In 6 months, the PCH A-100 thread already has 14 pages; while the PS3 thread, in its first 6 months, had only 6 pages.

Very impressive stats for Popcorn, considering that it's such a new gadget! 
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2008 at 02:55 PM by barrister »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2395
« Reply #251 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 02:56 PM »
On the contrary, there is actually a better chance of getting a perfect copy if it's a direct DVD to DVD transfer.

If it's a BD to SD DVD conversion, there's a 90% likelihood that the transcoding process is defective.  Errors such as motion judder, slo-mo scenes, and out-of-sync audio are common.

It's probably true that BD is facing stiff competition from HD downloads, judging from the high level of interest that the NMT board has been generating.

The longest thread in the HD board is the "PS3 as a blu-ray player" thread, with 57 pages since Nov. 2006.  The longest thread in the NMT board is the "Popcorn Hour A-100" thraead, with 14 pages since May 2008.  That's an average of 2.48 pages per month for PS3; and 2.33 pages per month for NMT.  In 6 months, the NMT thread already has 14 pages; while the PS3 thread, in its first 6 months, had only 6 pages.

Very impressive stats for Popcorn, considering that it's such a new gadget! 

Its also featured  in one of the latest issue of T3 magazine ata.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 03:10 PM »
Its also featured  in one of the latest issue of T3 magazine ata.

OT: T3 magazine s*cks. THeir November issue features the HT of my friend and the write-up is just garbage. Same thing with their write-ups on other HT equipment. This is why I don't think it's such a big deal to be featured in that magazine.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2395
« Reply #253 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 03:34 PM »
OT: T3 magazine s*cks. THeir November issue features the HT of my friend and the write-up is just garbage. Same thing with their write-ups on other HT equipment. This is why I don't think it's such a big deal to be featured in that magazine.

OT..hehe.. Ya I just like the chicks in the front covers.  ;D. Ya never bought the issue with the popcorn featured, just read it ata in one of the barber shops ;D.. However I buy this magazine sometimes if there are some gadgets I wanna check out especially  bec this mag features locally available gadgets ;D. Also one of the cheapest gadget mag available hehe..
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2008 at 03:35 PM by Moks007 »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 04:02 PM »

All six Star Wars films aired on Cinemax HD in the US a while back. Saw screen shots of the HD recordings online. Yun kaya ang source ng pirated BD? I doubt it. Hehe... 

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 06:45 PM »
Who's Paying More for Blu-ray? Not Many
by Reuters 

...  Still, despite panelists bullishness on Blu-ray, execs said season sales will be carefully scrutinized after Jan 1. Depending on how things go with HD discs and other packaged goods sales, it's possible that the industry's go-slow approach on digital downloads could accelerate.

So far, Hollywood has been experimenting with a bifurcated digital strategy, making some titles available for digital downloading and consigning others to "digital copy" editions of DVD releases. ...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2334527,00.asp

Offline devlin_waugh

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #256 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 07:26 PM »

Just goes to show that Jack Sparrows are also responsive to their market just like any other legit business, I can just imagine these guys meeting in their shadowy lairs and discussing marketing stats on their nifty laptops going: "Hey guys our blu-rays are up by 32% in the 2nd half of 08, we should put more titles in this segment by Q1..." :D not a far-fetched idea though...

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 07:42 AM »
Just goes to show that Jack Sparrows are also responsive to their market just like any other legit business, I can just imagine these guys meeting in their shadowy lairs and discussing marketing stats on their nifty laptops going: "Hey guys our blu-rays are up by 32% in the 2nd half of 08, we should put more titles in this segment by Q1..." :D not a far-fetched idea though...
hehehe kulit, im sure they have some sort of a home office naman siguro :D :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: SD vs BD vs Downloads
« Reply #258 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 03:02 PM »
DEG: HDTV Owners Prefer Blu-ray To Streaming
By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 11/17/2008 11:33:00 AM

Los Angeles — A new consumer study commissioned by the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG) indicates HDTV and Blu-ray Disc player owners still find packaged media — such as Blu-ray discs — preferable to alternative Internet streaming and download services to play premium HD movie and video content, the group revealed Friday.

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6615190.html

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 08:00 PM »

I was aware that BD sales are lower than SD DVD sales, but this is the first time I've seen just how much lower, as presented on a chart.  The BD bar on that chart is so small that you won't even see it clearly at first glance.

DVDs, Hollywood’s Profit Source, Are Sagging
By BROOKS BARNES
Published: November 20, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/business/21dvd.html?em
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2008 at 08:03 PM by barrister »

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 08:46 PM »
hard ecocomic times :(
also, I think BDs would not be able to push out sd dvd just as sd dvd are not able to push out vcds

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 10:13 PM »
hard ecocomic times :(
also, I think BDs would not be able to push out sd dvd just as sd dvd are not able to push out vcds

VHS was the leading home video format, never VCDs. VCDs were never accepted in the States as an home video format.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2008 at 10:15 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Nov 24, 2008 at 12:16 AM »
VHS was the leading home video format, never VCDs. VCDs were never accepted in the States as an home video format.
I think he's referring to the fact that it may take time for Bluray to supplant DVD, the same way, VCDs still outsells DVD locally...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Nov 24, 2008 at 06:47 AM »
vcd is afaik inferior to vhs format ..
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008 at 06:53 AM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Nov 24, 2008 at 08:56 AM »
I think he's referring to the fact that it may take time for Bluray to supplant DVD, the same way, VCDs still outsells DVD locally...

yup ;)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 12:29 AM »

November 27, 2008 - 2:44 P.M.
Blockbuster MediaPoint is the latest AppleTV competitor

The format war that Blu-ray fought against HD-DVD was in a sense a much smaller, easier battle to win than the current war it faces against Internet distribution.  Even Blu-ray's biggest allies are lining up into the digital distribution corner.  That's not a very good sign if you are looking at the big picture.

This week's Blu-ray bad news is that Blockbuster has joined Netflix in starting to move its model away from DVD and Blu Ray distribution to  Internet distribution.  They've released a set top box called MediaPoint.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/blockbuster_is_the_latest_appletv_competitor

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #266 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 02:44 AM »
I haven't gone through the entire thread, but I just want to share my opinion on the topic -

- DVD quality is good, actually quite satisfactory on flat panel TV's; and probably the best (considering price performance) if you only have CRT TV
- Downloaded HD movies (720p and 1080p) although illegal, are far better than DVD quality when watching on large flat panel TV's
- Blu-ray should have better quality than downloaded HD movies (I cannot really comment much on this because I do not have Blu-ray player, my basis is that downloaded HD movies are mostly rips from Blu-rays or HD-DVD and undergo compression) - the only thing is that how much better could it be than the downloaded HD movies ... by my observation, quality of downloaded HD movies is already superb on a 42-inch plasma tv - it blows away dvd quality

At the current price of the Blu-ray disks and equipment to enjoy Blu-ray quality, it is very difficult for the technology to penetrate the market the same way that DVD has - maybe after so many long years, but there may be a new and better technology by then ... take note that it is not only the expensive  Blu-ray disk player that you have to purchase to enjoy the full quality of BD -you also need to buy a large full HD flat panel to totally enjoy BD technology
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 09:31 AM »
I think the trend now is in internet distribution.  People want to get their contents fast.  If they want to watch or listen to something, access the net, click among choices then boom..viola.  The success of this model can be seen in the distribution of music contents wherein iTunes is king, having overtaken the sales of traditional retailers.  http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/itunes_still_top_leading_music_reseller_in_the_us/

As the internet speed is getting faster and cheaper (at least in developed countries  >:(), I think the sales of video contents will someday overtake the sale of physical discs---be it bluray, dvd, etc.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #268 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 10:00 AM »
I think the trend now is in internet distribution.  People want to get their contents fast.  If they want to watch or listen to something, access the net, click among choices then boom..viola.  The success of this model can be seen in the distribution of music contents wherein iTunes is king, having overtaken the sales of traditional retailers.  http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/itunes_still_top_leading_music_reseller_in_the_us/

As the internet speed is getting faster and cheaper (at least in developed countries  >:(), I think the sales of video contents will someday overtake the sale of physical discs---be it bluray, dvd, etc.

Yup, I agree ... Blu-ray as I see it, would be limited to niche market
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 10:06 AM »
Legality issue aside, the overall quality of downloads are simply getting freaky darn awesome.   Some encoding groups are pushing the limits both in visual and audio quality, and the results of their technical genius are really really really scary for BD.