Author Topic: Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray player  (Read 10793 times)

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630

Offline NeilNo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray player
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 08:34 PM »
S350 is Now Shipping! Also available now at all Sony Style Stores for $400!

"If you're looking for a quick refresher, this Profile 2.0-compliant deck supports BonusView (picture-in-picture), but curiously enough, Sony mentions that "a firmware update enabling BD-Live is planned [for] later this year." You'll also find full 1080p output, 7.1-channel Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD Master Audio support and a promise to suck down 21% less power in playback compared to the BDP-S300. All yours for $400 (give or take a few pennies)."

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/16/sonys-400-bdp-s350-profile-2-0-blu-ray-player-now-shipping/
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2008 at 08:36 PM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline WaynedBrain

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2008 at 05:59 AM »
Cheapest I've seen so far aside from the PS3! Definitely bang for the buck.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2008 at 06:46 PM »
Gold deal in Amazon has it's sibling Sony BDP-S300 with a 25% markdown.
It's now down to $299 (+ a free BD movie) WOW! Talk about affordable BD players...

Just for today so get your orders in!  ;)

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2008 at 06:47 PM by Marl_5 »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 10:04 PM »
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/08/14/sony-bdp-s350-review/

Sony BDP-S350 review

by Ben Drawbaugh, posted Aug 14th 2008 at 2:45PM

At just over the two year mark since the first Blu-ray players hit the streets, Sony releases its third-generation player, one that some would argue isn't even a fully featured unit. But aside from how important you think BD-Live is, Sony's latest BDP-S350 has a lot more to offer than its predecessor (the BDP-S300); in fact, it addresses most of our complaints, but unfortunately our favorite feature also got the axe (source direct). The biggest difference you'll notice right off the bat is the size, as it's about half as deep as the 300. While this really doesn't make much difference when enjoying Blu-ray movies, it does show how much more mature the HD chipsets have become in two years. The speed improvement of the player on the other hand will make a difference. While the 300 took 45 seconds just to eject when powered off, the 350 can do it in 6. This puts it in a two way tie with the fastest player we've tested.

Gallery: Sony BDP-S350 Review

The Good

* Pretty fast, took 6 seconds to eject when off and only took 23 seconds of "loading" after inserting a disc.
    * 24p light is a nice touch, but a little annoying because it's so blue.
    * HDMI-CEC worked great even with a non Sony TV.
    * Good looking with a remote that is better than last year's.
    * Coax and optical digital out are nice for those who haven't moved on to HDMI audio.
    * Network connection for BD Live (via future update) and firmware updates.
    * Power cord isn't permanently attached, a nice touch for custom installers.
    * Very nice on screen display, including scrub bar.
    * The menus are like other Sony products (think PS3).
    * AV sync and other options accessible while disc is playing.
    * Bitstreams all codecs.
    * Internally decodes TrueHD and DD+.
    * No problems playing any disc we tried.

The Bad

* No internal decoding of DTS-HD HR or MA.
    * Both TrueHD and DD+ get down mixed via TOSLINK to DD, not DTS as some players do.
    * Recessed USB port.
    * No back-light on remote.
    * Failed upconversion and de-interlacing HQV tests.
    * No RS-232 for home automation.
    * No screen saver -- we waited 10 minutes with a disc on pause and nothing ever happened.
    * Only 2-channel analog outputs (BDP-S300 has 6).
    * No BD-Live until firmware update.

The Ugly
Out favorite feature of the BDP-S300 (source direct) is missing and the 24p "auto" feature didn't work on our favorite 1080p30 title, Planet Earth (BBC). So to watch it at its native resolution, we had to stop the movie to change the frame rate to the native 30.

Conclusion
As you can see, other than the fact that we can't change the resolution on the fly anymore -- or simply choose to pass on the native resolution of the content -- we really don't have anything substantially bad to say about the BDP-S350. It played every disc we threw at it perfectly, and it's much faster than its predecessor. We are disappointed to see so many players dropping analog outputs, but the trend is expected as we saw a similar progression with DVD players almost ten years ago. But as much as we enjoyed Sony's latest player, unless you have to have the new codec support, we wouldn't recommend throwing out your BDP-S300. As for how it stands up to the competition, we won't compare it to players that cost substantially more, but we will say that without having both it and the Samsung BD-P1500 side-by-side, it's so close we'd have to go on brand preference to decide which to buy.

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)

Offline TOY 01

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 09:35 AM »
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2008 at 09:36 AM by TOY01 »

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2008 at 04:40 AM »
Guys, I need your opinion here...is this a good Blu-ray player? ???

Offline TOY 01

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 09:52 AM »
LOL................it's going up.  Price is $339.99 now!!

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 06:27 PM »
Guys, I need your opinion here...is this a good Blu-ray player? ???

Wow..!

Mukhang nagreresearch ka na ng BD player ha,...

Good luck.!

ABC

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 09:12 PM »
Wow..!

Mukhang nagreresearch ka na ng BD player ha,...

Good luck.!

ABC

Hello brader! ;D

Yup! My goal by the end of the year is to have the following:
*Very good Blu-ray Player
*Egreat or Popcorn Hour
*Oppo 980 Player

Sana makuha lahat... :P hahahahaha! :D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2008 at 06:38 PM »
Dunno if this applies to any asian version...

Sony gifts BDP-S350 with BD-Live via firmware update

Earlier this summer, Sony promised that it would be pushing out a firmware update in the future that would add BD-Live functionality to its BDP-S350 Blu-ray player. Fast forward a few months, and lo and behold, it has kept its word. Available right this very second, the version 010 firmware adds in BD-Live support and improved BD-Java compatibility / improved sensitivity to the Remote Commander signal while in standby mode. Hop on down to the read link and get that 56.23MB download going -- given Sony's typically slow (and by slow, we mean hosted over a 14.4k modem) servers, you could be waiting awhile.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/09/25/sony-gifts-bdp-s350-with-bd-live-via-firmware-update/
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2008 at 06:41 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 10:08 PM »
This player just hit 253 na in amazon, I went ahead na to order this with the 3 blu discs less 50 dollars discount. :)..I think its worth it na hehe..This to give my ps3 a breather. 299 nalang msrp niya

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 08:33 AM »
This player just hit 253 na in amazon, I went ahead na to order this with the 3 blu discs less 50 dollars discount. :)..I think its worth it na hehe..This to give my ps3 a breather. 299 nalang msrp niya

nice buy sir raymond.  ;D

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 09:47 AM »

nice buy sir raymond.  ;D

hehe you can just call me raymond hehe...Thanks very much. The surprising thing is my decision last nite just after the shootout. I just went for it hehe..I saw it at 253 so I thought its a nice deal na hehe..the player and 3 discs for around 290 dollars. Actually it should be less nga 22 dollars pa bec I did not use new jersey jac bec I havent tried it yet so i have the first time blues, so I still used new york. Oh well..Wanna take the load off my ps3 lens hehe..I checked again its back to 299. Price really goes up and down in amazon, chempo chempo

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 06:41 PM »
brader raymond, para ka rin palang si jasper!  trigger happy!  hehehe!  nice purchase!

hehe, thanks very much Jazzy Jake

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 07:41 PM »
That's a very fast decision Raymond...Good deal & congrat to your new gear, let us know your feedback!  ;)

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2008 at 01:23 PM »
That's a very fast decision Raymond...Good deal & congrat to your new gear, let us know your feedback!  ;)

Thanks Paul, wanna give my ps3 a little breather ;D.. I think 199 to 250 is about right for a blu player hehe..They say this player can be upgraded to profile 2.0, but I think the latest update was pulled out a day after it was released..hmm have to confirm.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2008 at 09:03 PM »

Sir Raymond, congrats on your purchase! ;D Do let me know how much you spent for all, once your unit arrives. ;D I'm planning to do the same thing as one of my options, once the price drops. :P

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2008 at 09:42 AM »
Sir Raymond, congrats on your purchase! ;D Do let me know how much you spent for all, once your unit arrives. ;D I'm planning to do the same thing as one of my options, once the price drops. :P

Hi sir, thanks, will let you know.  ;)..Hopefully the jac rate for this is cheap, like my oppo, 3 thou lang. The box and weight is smaller/lighter for the oppo.  I remember my toshiba hddvd players hit at least 6 thou pesos. :(
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2008 at 05:54 PM by Moks007 »

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM »
Price drop to $299 is official now. Expect to get price to go lower as the holidays is just around the corner..  ;D

http://gizmodo.com/5056429/sonys-bdp+s350-blu+ray-player-officially-300-and-bd+live-capable
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 09:10 AM »
Just got this player last night (Man JAC is really fast ;), 6 days haha..I was stunned it already arrived haha..) IMO, very nice player. It has a solid build, I like the remote, Menu is cool like the ps3, and Tray is solid. It's not as huge as the previous models so thats a plus to me. Pq and Aq is good (haven't compared to ps3) and pretty fast loading. All in all very satisfied, so happy last night hehe. By the way I don't really think there would be pq and aq diff on all of these  blu-ray players. Is there a difference lets say to the ps3, pq wise? Anybody can comment on this?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 01:50 PM »
Just got this player last night (Man JAC is really fast ;), 6 days haha..I was stunned it already arrived haha..) IMO, very nice player. It has a solid build, I like the remote, Menu is cool like the ps3, and Tray is solid. It's not as huge as the previous models so thats a plus to me. Pq and Aq is good (haven't compared to ps3) and pretty fast loading. All in all very satisfied, so happy last night hehe. By the way I don't really think there would be pq and aq diff on all of these  blu-ray players. Is there a difference lets say to the ps3, pq wise? Anybody can comment on this?

congrats sir raymond. how much for the freight cost from jac. tia!

Offline sanmig_ph

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #23 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 02:02 PM »

nice brader raymond ;)

from dv600 to

oppo 980

to ps3

to sony bluray :o :o :o

to

E Great  :D  VANAT NA ;D

Honga Idol Jake Trigger Happy ;D

brader raymond, para ka rin palang si jasper!  trigger happy!  hehehe!  nice purchase!
He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 02:47 PM »

congrats nice gear you got there!

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 06:00 PM »
congrats nice gear you got there!

Thanks very much sir :)

nice brader raymond ;)

from dv600 to

oppo 980

to ps3

to sony bluray :o :o :o

to

E Great  :D  VANAT NA ;D

Honga Idol Jake Trigger Happy ;D

hahaha. I will give you in on a little secret. I drop by Ehome kanina around lunch time hehe.  ;D Saw the unit, its so cute. Ya demoed Ironman, but I did not check out the demo on the main tv. The one I saw is facing the main road so a lot of sunlight, can't really tell coz I was too close to tv, but quite impressive :).. I also drop by bec wanna check out the list of titles availabe hehe..Out of budget at the moment, maybe in a few months down the road will get this hehe..

congrats sir raymond. how much for the freight cost from jac. tia!

Hi iiinas, thanks very much. I think its a really nice and solid player. I haven't really seen the panasonics so I can't really compare. But this player is better than the toshiba a30, a35 standalone (build wise). However haven't checked on the upscaling yet on dvds for this sony.
Anyway the JAC rate is 5 thousand. The only negative thing is the outer box by amazon is really crumpled up and parang sirang sira, so when I got it I thought it was damaged, Panic ako, man its a good thing its ok when I opened it up and tried it out hehe ;D.. Thats the risk talaga ordering from america and shipping here.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 08:06 AM »

Hi iiinas, thanks very much. I think its a really nice and solid player. I haven't really seen the panasonics so I can't really compare. But this player is better than the toshiba a30, a35 standalone (build wise). However haven't checked on the upscaling yet on dvds for this sony.
Anyway the JAC rate is 5 thousand. The only negative thing is the outer box by amazon is really crumpled up and parang sirang sira, so when I got it I thought it was damaged, Panic ako, man its a good thing its ok when I opened it up and tried it out hehe ;D.. Thats the risk talaga ordering from america and shipping here.

hmmm. these bluray players now, medyo malalaki pa. its almost double the freight of ordinary dvd players. well. hopefully they get thin in the future. thanks sir raymond.

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #27 on: Oct 18, 2008 at 06:36 AM »
hi!

sorry for newbie questions as i'm not too familiar with Blu ray (I was one of those who went HD hehe).

Di ba walang region coding for blu ray? But for purposes of upscaling S-DVDs, since you got this unit from the US, does this mean that you can only play R1 discs? Is there no fix like the Oppo upscaling players which can become all region?

Btw, this unit is selling for about AUD$390-449 here in Sydney (without haggling).

Offline darth_rye

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 11:20 AM »

Sir! I am leaning on getting this player also. Can you PM me the link and details where/how you get it. I have no idea ordering via amazon pa eh. TIA!

::)

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 12:45 PM »
Sir! I am leaning on getting this player also. Can you PM me the link and details where/how you get it. I have no idea ordering via amazon pa eh. TIA!

::)

Hi Right now its just 224 dollars in amazon usa, free shipping..Excellent price na. You can register first with amazon then you just go to amazon.com, go to movies, then bluray. There is a selection there blu-ray players, Select this player and just add to cart and checkout. Payment details and shipment details have to be filled up also.  You can use your credit card and if you joined Johnny air cargo, which I think is the best option, you can address it there. When it arrives here you just pay jac (no hassle, no questions asked) and pick it up in one of their branches. You can go to the jac thread to get more info. Hope this helps