Author Topic: Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA vs. Uncompressed PCM vs. compressed digital audio  (Read 2881 times)

Offline marcyao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
here's an article i read on the difference between HD Audio and the standard dolby digital and dts. :)

http://hemagazine.com/node/Dolby_TrueHD_DTS-MA_versus_Uncompressed_PCM

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
blessed are those who can distinguish the difference because they have another reason to upgrade. In this hobby of ours, we are always eyeing for the better if not the best. If there will be no longer any reason to go one more step then our hobby becomes BOOOORING! ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2008 at 04:37 PM by jerix »
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
blessed are those who can distinguish the difference because they have another reason to upgrade. In this hobby of ours, we are always eyeing for the better if not the best. If there will be no longer any reason to go one more step then our hobby becomes BOOOORING! ;D

very true.

kaya those who got to distinguish classic dd from tru hd during the last shoot out can truly be called "men with GOLDEN EARS"

@alvinh & @waxx  ;D ;D ;D

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
Actually blessed are those who CANNOT distinguish in that case no need to upgrade. More economical!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
Correct.  But there are people who want the newest and best gears out there that they can afford even if they can't hear the difference.  It's human nature to want the best even though they don't get the most out of their stuff, just like cellphones... Some buy for looks and status symbol and hardly ever use the features of their hi tech phones like web browsing and gprs.  To each his own. ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2008 at 05:10 PM by milken »

Offline imperialcog

• Collector
  • Liked:
To those who can distinguish the difference, can you explain in layman's terms to those of us who are not sure if there is a difference or not. Kaya bang iexplain to? hehe!

thanks!

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Actually blessed are those who CANNOT distinguish in that case no need to upgrade. More economical!

That's a great statement bro hehe  :D

Offline john martin

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
To those who can distinguish the difference, can you explain in layman's terms to those of us who are not sure if there is a difference or not. Kaya bang iexplain to? hehe!

thanks!

YES, the difference is significant Between compressed digital (DD, DTS) and HD.  Sound clutters are eliminated in True HD and Uncom PCM.  Though for me, Dolby TrueHD offers the best resolution.  I have not heard a DTS HD.

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
Im not sure if this has been asked before, but can a HDMI ready receiver output uncompressed PCM? or does it have to have "decodes uncompressed PCM" on the unit? like how it says DTS-HD ready or Dolby TrueHD ready..

any info will be appreciated..thanks!!!
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Im not sure if this has been asked before, but can a HDMI ready receiver output uncompressed PCM? or does it have to have "decodes uncompressed PCM" on the unit? like how it says DTS-HD ready or Dolby TrueHD ready..

Yes, a HDMI AVR will have no problem accepting the uncompressed PCM audio. Decoding is not required as the source is already "Uncompressed". Those DTS-MA & TrueHD are both "losslessly compressed" format thus need to be decoded either by the player or receiver.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2009 at 11:46 AM by pchin »

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
Yes, a HDMI AVR will have no problem accepting the uncompressed PCM audio. Decoding is not required as the source is already "Uncompressed". Those DTS-MA & TrueHD are both "losslessly compressed" format thus need to be decoded either by the player or receiver.

Many thanks sir Pchin...I was hoping u'd see this cuz ur one of the few audio experts i know here in pinoydvd! again, thanks so much for the info!!!!
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline gerardhamada

• Collector
  • Liked:
What I can say is I would not know the difference since I have not heard one yet. But what I hear is DTS and Dolby vs movie running on WMA audio hehehehe. It was like david and goliath and david never saw the next day  ;D