Author Topic: FINALLY!!....The House of Waxx... now with storyboard... updates on page 1...  (Read 44462 times)

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
ok.. i dunno if im already allowed to have my own HT gallery eventhough my HT/Media room is still on the planning stage...

ill post pics of the entire construction, modifications, etc etc here.. all constructive (pun intended)criticisms, and advice are welcome...

i believe that your inputs would help me take the right path on creating the HT that i want.. and making it SARS proof.. (sana)..

thanks.. will post pics..

Updated jan 2011

added imac 24 inch (di ko rin alam bat ko ginawa to).. pasensya na sa wires, di pa tapos nung kinunan ko e.

i got an extending rack/arm sa raon.  deeco was the cheapest at 1100 but no stock, so i got the 1700 one on some other shops.. malls sell at 2500-5000php! happy with the savings.

i remember now bat ko to nilagay.. for managing/downloading files and mkv and backup media player (some files di nababasa ng nmt)

oh yeah, and the most important thing..

Wii in HD!!

UPDATED JANUARY 2010

para sa bagong taong ito.... hinding hindi ko mahindian si boss mike c.  kaya napasubo ako sa "twins"... eto na po ang current HT setup... pasensyahan nyo na po ang pics....

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM by Waxx »

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: The House of Waxx...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 08:56 PM »
current room layout...

UPDATE: 1-7-09

here is the story of how the house was made...

back in august, an idea was born...

this was the target room... (nephew's room before they moved out..)

note the crayon drawing made by my nephew...

the ceiling was... well.. it has seen better days...

and so it started.... i wanted a higher ceiling for reasons to be explained later... so i had the carpenter rip it open to see how big of a ceiling i could add

another shot of the ceiling...

enough of the ceilings already...(i think i have a fetish on them...)

secondly, as with my plans, i had the cabinet remade, so that i will have a flat wall on my theater room...

this was taken on room 2... which also had a minor renovation...

shot of the ht room as seen from room2 (from now on ill refer to it as poker room)

removing the cabinets ...

after sometime... (days actually..) the ceiling was remade/regressed and i was able to get around 3-6in of space... thats not much, but good enough for my plan...

more shots of the regressed ceiling...

and now, the walls...

back wall

and the creation of the front fake wall...

poker room with its new paint job and clutter... (the paint was a bit too hard on the eyes, so it was repainted with a softer shade after a few days)

front wall done

back to the ht room...

this is the cabinet...

andmore shots with the ceiling

the back wall with the back door which wont be used anymore...

and now for the ceiling...

ive always been fascinated by fake outdoor ceilings, like the one in the venetian hotel... i just love waking up with a blue skies greeting over you... but since my ceiling is a bit low... i dunno if the effect of having a daylight ceiling with clouds would have the same drama as what it does to you in the venetian...(for those of you who hasnt seen the venetian hotel ceiling, here it is captured in a cellphone camera...) and i had second thoughts coz of the idea of the HT room should be dark and not with a daylight effect...

so i opted to have the next best thing.... i researched and researched for that next big thing.. and true enough, as i was resting my eyes, guess what popped out on my screen saver?... galaxies and stars and supernovas.....

and an idea was reborn...

commercial muna... brb.. kakapagod..

back to programming..

so here's the finished product of my room

NOT!!

wish ko lang na ganyan nga kaganda room ko.. anyways.. decided to apply a star ceiling setup for my ht room...

romantic daw kuno...

but how it was installed? was the clincher...

i ordered a 400 strand star ceiling kit from ebay.. LED sya so di sya mainit at malakas sa kuryente.. its like planting palay..  matrabaho...

and whats bad? 2x namin inulit...

for the ceiling material, i ordered 3 pcs of that rigid fabric material from boss matzster himself.. it does the job well...

para kaming nagrerebond ng hair nyan... paisa isa.. then di kami natuwa... (hiring a carpenter who has OC complex helps...) so inulit namin lahat...

pic of the ceiling without the stars...nabang nagpapahinga si manong carpenter..

warning: contains nudity!! NSFW!!

wiring of the rear back surrounds...

since i dont have enough space on my back wall, i opted to place the back surounds on my ceiling facing the back wall which will be acoustically treated.. so far, i hope it does emulate the rear speakers and since the use of 7.1 is still minimal as of this time, i hope my plan could compensate for the lack of space

so anyways.. here's the ceiling when we finished it for the second time

note that the stars looked droopy, coz it wasnt really finished.. still have to cut it to star length...

i was able to finish around 20 panels for the qrd, then guess what came along? eggtrays!!  hayyy...

too bad i wasnt able to picture the walls with the qrd's installed... was too busy na talaga..

so the final product... er.. not yet really final... coz there are still calibrations to be done etc etc...

so here's 99% of the finished product

tv with dimmable led rope behind..

i actually wasnt satisfied with my blue cove ceiling so i added 3 color ropelight with programmable patterns... switched it to fade, so the glow changes colors every 2 seconds

when green

transitioning from blue to red

now red...

view of the gears without flash

views of the room with flash... honestly dont feel comfty doing this coz makikita nyo ang imperfections...

thats all for now.. will post pics when i get more... this time with pj in action...

thanks for the patience...

stars in action

pj in action: guess the movie

shots of the pj

more of the movie.. have you guessed it yet?

sa mga sirit na.. altho i know most of  you wouldve guessed it right now...
con air

the pj screen of sir mark has found a good home in my ht room.. got it for a good deal too.. nagperform lang si luke mejares sa  christmas party nila... ;D

and of course my ever magulong gears..  makalat talaga ako...

some final shots of the pj screen and speakers... note my lamp on the side which i named "pixar"

here's is tv/gaming mode when pj screen is up... DIY ambilight in action

with flash

with the front hidden shelf open

left cabinet (still not finished.. still have yet to put shelves)

and for my "smoke friendly" friends.. i planned a smoke friendly room.. you can smoke, but smoke outside... this is a direct double door going to the fire exit... was tempted to put an "exit" sign, but that would be overdoing it... ;D

thats all for now... thanks..
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM by Waxx »

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 08:58 PM »
This is another setup to look forward to. Goodluck pre!  ;)

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 09:10 PM »
abangan...  ;D

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 09:12 PM »
proposed draft layout..

legend:

black are acoustic walls/bass traps

grey are the speakers..

plan is that the front speakers would be semi regressed inside the vid wall, including center and LFE...  so as to avoid clutter.. not fully regressed... around 1 to 1.5 in of the speakers face would be showing.. to add that in wall speaker effect..

46in LCD tv built into the video wall (wall mounted) SARS to 52 inch hopefully soon...

90in pj screen will be covering the tv when in movie mode....pulldown...

AV stuff will be built in the cabinet... cabinet doors are sliding acoustic doors...

rear back surrounds (7.1) would be placed in the ceiling pointing down (i know this is wrong, pero andyan na kasi e... i just cant let go of my rear back surrounds).. any other way to install this? :'(

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 09:12 PM »
This is another setup to look forward to. Goodluck pre!  ;)

salamat bossing.. nainggit/inspire ako talaga sa setup mo e...  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008 at 09:14 PM by Waxx »

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 09:17 PM »
 ;D ;D Pag natapos mo yan ako naman mai-inggit sa yo.   :D

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 09:27 PM »
wag naman bossing.. you have such a wonderful setup to begin with.. atsaka may 1 in 2 out hdmi splitter ka... ;D

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 09:52 PM »
I just noticed, dont you think that the seats are a little too close sa back wall? If that would be the case, baka dapat meron ka ring bass traps sa likod?

But this is indeed a project worth waiting. Good luck Chief! Picture picture ha!  ;)

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 09:57 PM »
wag naman bossing.. you have such a wonderful setup to begin with.. atsaka may 1 in 2 out hdmi splitter ka... ;D

May splitter nga ko, Wala naman 2nd display  :'( :'( Tulo pa rin laway ko sa 46"lcd mo  :)

Btw I noticed meron din dedicated restroom sa ht room plan. Mukha talagang wee wee lang ang pahinga ha.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 09:58 PM »
goodluck on your ht project. looks good!  ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 10:25 PM »
If you are still in the planning stage, I suggest you do away with the CR.

I saw in your lay-out that the listening room is a square 4x4, which acoustically is not a good proposition.

Here are the ideal room dimension ratios

Height Width Length
1.  1       1.28    1.54
2.  1       1.26    1.59
3.  1       1.6      2.33
4.  1       1.4      1.9

At least with the additional 1.5 meters, the room gets longer (and will justify 7.1 speaker set-up), allowing for more space and is more close to any of the ideal room ratios.   Remember, the foundation to a great sounding system begins with the dimensions of the room.   You consider it, and suddenly your gears will overachieve in their performance.    ;)

Goodluck!!  ;)

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 10:31 PM »
I just noticed, dont you think that the seats are a little too close sa back wall? If that would be the case, baka dapat meron ka ring bass traps sa likod?

But this is indeed a project worth waiting. Good luck Chief! Picture picture ha!  ;)

yun nga e.. thats why its a wip.. need all the info.... still reading about bass traps and all..

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 10:35 PM »
May splitter nga ko, Wala naman 2nd display  :'( :'( Tulo pa rin laway ko sa 46"lcd mo  :)

Btw I noticed meron din dedicated restroom sa ht room plan. Mukha talagang wee wee lang ang pahinga ha.  ;D ;D ;D

hahaha di approve ng pay rents ang pagsira ng CR e.. so demolishing is out of the question... dont worry.. baka ibenta ko ang 46" ng mura.. sana mura na ang 52" by that time

Offline gisan925

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 10:37 PM »

I saw in your lay-out that the listening room is a square 4x4, which acoustically is not a good proposition.

Height Width Length
1.  1       1.28    1.54
2.  1       1.26    1.59
4.  1       1.4      1.9

At least with the additional 1.5 meters, the room gets longer (and will justify 7.1 speaker set-up), allowing for more space and is more close to any of the ideal room ratios.   Remember, the foundation to a great sounding system begins with the dimensions of the room.   You consider it, and suddenly your gears will overachieve in their performance.    ;)

Goodluck!!  ;)

+1, I definitely agree!
Onkyo875 PV80 MA RS6  BD55 Pio610 RA03 Azur 640C Yaqin MC10T

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 10:44 PM »

Height Width Length
1.  1       1.28    1.54
2.  1       1.26    1.59
4.  1       1.4      1.9

Goodluck!!  ;)

idol munskie... yun nga ang naisip ko e..pero parang out of the question ang pag demolish ng cr.. i believe pay rents wouldnt approve of that... i mean.. practically speaking.. a cr is a cr..

as per matzster.... di nga talaga maganda ang demensions ng room.. hopefully habulin ko sa acoustic placements and 'daya'..

but then again.. ill consult the elderlies, if theyre ok with doing away with the CR...

Offline Huddaf

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: The House of Waxx...WIP (work in progress.. inputs welcome)
« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 07:51 AM »
If that is the case parang mas ok yung Room 2.  ???

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 07:52 AM »
If you can't demolish your CR, maybe if you put a false wall up front, with acoustic treatment, which is even a foot only, that will already help. At least, di na sya perfectly square.

I think you should be careful about your plan to have sliding doors sa cabinet mo. These are generally quite loose and they are bound to rattle with strong LFE. It may be better to have ordinary cabinet doors.

I can understand your desire to have front speakers which are partly-embedded into the wall, for aesthetic purposes. Just keep in mind that you will not be able to move your speakers anymore and speaker position is very important for acoustics. Having your speakers movable adds a lot of flexibility.

Good luck!
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 08:15 AM »
i don't see a subwoofer in your plans :)

good luck on your theater build  ;D
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 08:24 AM »

baka waxx is waiting for a recommendation from
the subwoofer master (mkie c!) ;D ;D ;D

sarap naman!
naka-plano ng maigi....

this is a great HT room in the making !!!

abangan namin ito! :D
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 08:44 AM »
If that is the case parang mas ok yung Room 2.  ???

room 2 is where i stay during weekends.. might convert this into guestroom... mahjong room for my folks...

i can see that i have a lot of options:

1. combine room 1 and 2... and just create one whole bedroom
2. use room 1. and break down the CR and use room 2's cr when nature calls...
3. stick with original plan...

disadvantages:
1. bigger room, needs more aircon power.. (i like the room chilled)
2. quite inconvenient when nature calls.. you have go to the other room...
3. room dimensions not fit for a HT.

grabe.. and i thought designing/planning a dedicated HT would relieve me of some stress.... nakakadagdag pala.. :D

needs a great brainstorming.. ok lang i have a month pa naman before construction begins..

guys, i appreciate all your inputs! thanks ha!

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 08:51 AM »
If you can't demolish your CR, maybe if you put a false wall up front, with acoustic treatment, which is even a foot only, that will already help. At least, di na sya perfectly square.

I think you should be careful about your plan to have sliding doors sa cabinet mo. These are generally quite loose and they are bound to rattle with strong LFE. It may be better to have ordinary cabinet doors.

I can understand your desire to have front speakers which are partly-embedded into the wall, for aesthetic purposes. Just keep in mind that you will not be able to move your speakers anymore and speaker position is very important for acoustics. Having your speakers movable adds a lot of flexibility.

Good luck!

master streetsmart...

false wall on the side you mean? or sa front? fronts will have false wall nga (with acoustic treatment.. same as munskie's).. about a foot thick.. then speakers will be embedded in them...ill be trying to integrate a design that would allow speaker adjustment even though its installed within the false wall..

siguro ill try to draw, or photoshop a perspective so as to help advisers understand

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 08:51 AM »
do not forget acoustic ceiling
& lighting effects.........  :D ;D

mas ok nga kung wala CR....
perfect 5.5 x 4 room!

kung sobra inconvinient to use the cr of
room2.... pwede na orinola! ;D
just kidding sir!  ;D
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 08:53 AM »

thank you..  di ko lang nilagay yung sub, kasi di ko pa alam if i would install it along/within the false front wall... or not.. but definitely its there...:D along with the center speaker..

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 08:55 AM »
do not forget acoustic ceiling
& lighting effects.........  :D ;D

mas ok nga kung wala CR....
perfect 5.5 x 4 room!

kung sobra inconvinient to use the cr of
room2.... pwede na orinola! ;D
just kidding sir!  ;D

yeah, acoustic ceiling, and absorbers will definitely be integrated..

imagine, i was planning this without any acoustics in mind... then matzter convinced me otherwise...

re cr.. will brainstorm on it..

re arinola.. ok yan.. (tapos biglang natapon sa carpet habang dala dala mo)....DISASTER!!! :D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 09:38 AM »
yeah, acoustic ceiling, and absorbers will definitely be integrated..

imagine, i was planning this without any acoustics in mind... then matzter convinced me otherwise...

re cr.. will brainstorm on it..

re arinola.. ok yan.. (tapos biglang natapon sa carpet habang dala dala mo)....DISASTER!!! :D

The inconvenience nung CR can be remedied by pausing the movie.   But the room dimension, kapag nagawa na yan, theres not much you can do about it.   

Learned that from alvinthx2.  He preaches "acoustics first" mantra.   And it all starts with a proper room dimension.   If you follow that, simple na lang acoustic treatments:

1.  Dead screenwall.
2.  Kill first reflections.
3.  Live back part.  (diffusers can be used)
4.  Bass traps.

But with an improper room dimension, treatments can be tricky and quite costly.

This is also a big reason why I left my old HT room.  It was not in the proper dimension (wider than long).   After building a room outside the house with the ideal room ratios, my mid level gears overachieved in their performance.   

But of course, these are all suggestions.   Kumbaga, it is what you prioritize that must come first.   List them down, and evaluate.    ;)

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 10:07 AM »
The inconvenience nung CR can be remedied by pausing the movie.   But the room dimension, kapag nagawa na yan, theres not much you can do about it.   

Learned that from alvinthx2.  He preaches "acoustics first" mantra.   And it all starts with a proper room dimension.   If you follow that, simple na lang acoustic treatments:

1.  Dead screenwall.
2.  Kill first reflections.
3.  Live back part.  (diffusers can be used)
4.  Bass traps.

But with an improper room dimension, treatments can be tricky and quite costly.

This is also a big reason why I left my old HT room.  It was not in the proper dimension (wider than long).   After building a room outside the house with the ideal room ratios, my mid level gears overachieved in their performance.   

But of course, these are all suggestions.   Kumbaga, it is what you prioritize that must come first.   List them down, and evaluate.    ;)

mid level gears... now thats an UNDERstatement!!  :D

kinda hard din to think about giving up the CR, coz this would also act as my bedroom...

hay.... decisions decisions...

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 10:31 AM »
Why don't you move the door of room 2 forward so that both rooms have access to the CR? You could even have 2 doors to the CR, one from each room (baka sliding door na).

Tama si Munskie. When you have a perfectly square room, you have big problems with room modes (standing waves) because they are multiplied. Very difficult to treat, if not almost impossible. On certain frequencies, masyadong malakas ang dating, on other frequencies, nawawala ang sound.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 11:37 AM »

For me, good sound is a first priority. A movie with good sound can really enhance your HT viewing experience, some can cause goosebumps, cause breathlessness or more fright for scary movies. (naks  ;D)

IMO, Going to another room for CR is statistically a minor discomfort of 2 mins compared to 2 hrs of good sound. (Ay sorry, I didnt know nagiba ng foreman yung CR eh  :-[)

I would recommend a space on the back wall behind your sofa. It makes 7.1 way better than 4 back speakers panning in a row. Also, I dont think dipole speakers near a corner wall will sound that good or enveloping.

I would recommend using your current LCD and save up for a true 1080p PJ for your planned Onkyo 875. Because in my experience, its on a 1080p native display that the 875 showed its PQ ability. Also, a bigger LCD TV will just wrestle for your attention vs the PJ.

Also, save up the cash for acoustics! it makes a difference.

Offline Huddaf

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 12:03 PM »
Or....

You can scrap everything! Get yourself a new house!  :D :D :D Just kidding!

Remove the CR. Remove the Door. Create a new Door adjacent to the next room.

Buy a Sofa Bed - HT room and Bed Room na. ;D