Author Topic: Video Card for HD Movies and Games  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Rak-Rak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Video Card for HD Movies and Games
« on: Aug 15, 2008 at 01:51 PM »
I'm pretty impressed with the Power Color 3870 pcs (professional Cooling System)
i recently saw the Palit 9600 with all the connection, dual dvi, hdmi, hdmi audio etc.
i have yet to go to PC option for the prices,
other candidates: Geforce 8800 GT and Ati 4850
yeah im also planning to play games on my Acer P241 24 inch lcd
my extisting Palit video card is a Palit 256 mb 64 bit, it plays effortlessly 720p movies and a couple of 1080p thou i had audio sync problem
My system, P4 core duo 2.8 Ghz , 2Gb ram
Price would also play a big part got 6K to 8k budget

any suggestion....

Thanks..

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Re: Video Card for HD Movies and Games
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 02:49 PM »
graphics card is not that critical sa high def rak because you have a powerful CPU already.  I had HD3870 with my C2D E6600 and didnt see that much improvement over Nvidia 8600GTS sa 1080p mkv playback.  Both cards didnt have any major problems at all with 1080ps pero mas mabilis lang di hamak sa 3D games ang HD3870 over 8600GTS.  For movie watching, I find the image quality of ATI better than Nvidia.  No doubt about that.  Super daming tweaks available sa ATI.

Last week when I vacationed sa Phil, I installed the same HD3870 (Sapphire nga pala) on a Pentium D Dell Dimension (3GB) and it still didnt solve the sync problems with some 1080p files.  I ended up installing Media Player Classic and it somehow handled 1080p files better than The KM Player (but not all).

The HD3870 was left in my wife's Pasig PC and tonight, Im getting a replacement card for my C2D.  I might go with the HD4850 although the heat level of that card still concerns me.   At the very least, it would be another HD3870.  Kung gusto mo ng best bang for the buck right now, I think HD3870.   HD4850 is still close to $200 while HD3870 can be had for around $130-140 na.

I would recommend increasing the RAM to 4GB if you are running vista.

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 04:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply, as for the heat problem, sa 4850 there are cards that offer 3rd party cooling like the Power Color 3870 the newer one had the "pcs" cooling, copper heat sink, theres the saphire 4850 with a zalman cooling system taking care of the heat problem.
ive got 2pcs kingston 1 gb ram, will it blend well with my old giel 1 gb? i'll buy another giel 1 gb to make it 2 kingston ddr2 and 2 Giel ddr2?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 04:37 PM »
someone is selling a seldom used HD3850 at the PC marketplace.  :)

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 04:56 PM »
someone is selling a seldom used HD3850 at the PC marketplace.  :)

thanks i will try to look for it, im looking for the "PCS" version or with a 3rd party cooling system as this card really get hot.

Offline momay

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 05:05 PM »
one of my colleague have a laptop with dual core turion 64 @ 1.8 ghz, ATI X1270 and 2gb ddr2 and he can play 1080p mkv/wmvhd smoothly.thats with vista home premium. even an intel x3100 can play it smoothly. the laptop i use here in the office has that intel vga card.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 10:53 PM »
No no no. The 38xx series dont get too hot.  Temp at idle (low loading) is barely 45 to 50 degrees. Then at full 3D gaming, around 60-65 only with the stock single slot cooler.  You can even increase the fan speed through the Catalyst Control Center hanggang tolerable ang ingay sa yo.  The 38xx is a well designed card in terms of temperature.

I decided to get 4850 today dahil highly recommended and the difference with 3870 is just about $40. But its a bloody hot card as many current owners are claiming.  More than 70 degrees at idle palang.  No I dont believe in aftermarket cooler as I believe in my 1-year maker's warranty.   ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008 at 11:06 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM »
highly advisable that the dual channel (one pair) of RAM be identical to avoid parity error or any incompatibility issue

however, you can mix different makes if you're using both available dual channels (channels A and B - black and white or whatever pair of different RAM slot colors in your mobo).    Check if the clock speed of both pairs are the same.  If not, the PC will synch with the slower RAM.   

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 11:19 PM »
I did got a cpu problem before, my over all system performance dipped because my cpu bundled heat sink were chuck full of dust and it got pretty hot, the resulting performance then was that i can't even play 720p movies, but when we cleaned the heat sink my system can play 720p.
what can i do to bench mark 2.8ghz core 2 duo cpu, if it is still working the way it supposed to be.

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 10:51 AM »
The Msi 4850 got this large heat sink, copper base and aluminum fins, even at high load is still cool. got the review from overclockers, at pc options it is selling for 9,500 this may be a primary cadidate for me.
will see other stores for price and fee stuff.
heres the link:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_r4850/

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 01:34 PM »
My Sapphire 4850 reached around 85 degrees during 3D gaming (GRID).  The fan is very quiet (quieter than that of 3870) making me think I should up the speed a little bit at the expense of fan noise, but as it is, performance is very stable.   Havent seen any significant difference between the 3870 and the 4850 in terms of 3D performance (in simple words, games that I play feel just as fast and smooth), so I'd say the 3870 is definitely of higher cost performance.

The 4850 reminds me of the 7900.  It was equally near boiling point but then ATI found a solution and came out with the 38xx series based on the same chip as the 7900 but tremendously cooler and more power efficient.

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 02:09 PM »
Msi was 20 degrees cooler than the saphire 4850 but the reviewer (OC) said that saphire was a very very good card and recomends a 3rd party cooling solution when available.
i was wondering if my 450 watts HEC power supply be enought for these 4850 cards?
components in my pc is:
1. 1 pc. IDE HardDisk
2. 3 pcs SATA HardDisk
3. Pentium D 280 2.8 Ghz processor
4. Canopus Raptor RT2 deluxe editing card
6. IDE CD Rom
7. Asus PLD2 Deluxe edition mobo ALife
8. 2 external hard drives

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 03:34 PM »
Msi was 20 degrees cooler than the saphire 4850 but the reviewer (OC) said that saphire was a very very good card and recomends a 3rd party cooling solution when available.
i was wondering if my 450 watts HEC power supply be enought for these 4850 cards?
components in my pc is:
1. 1 pc. IDE HardDisk
2. 3 pcs SATA HardDisk
3. Pentium D 280 2.8 Ghz processor
4. Canopus Raptor RT2 deluxe editing card
6. IDE CD Rom
7. Asus PLD2 Deluxe edition mobo ALife
8. 2 external hard drives

How good is an HEC power supply brand?  Here's my Dell Dimension config and it runs the HD3870 absolutely stable. I think the current load of the 3870 and the 4850 are nearly the same.  The Dimension 9100 has ONLY 375W PSU.  My 4850 is now installed in a newer desktop (Gateway) with Core 2 Duo E6600 having 400W PSU and as much peripherals connected as the Dell.  No problem whatsoever.  So as for me, overrated yung 450W na minimum requirement as stated sa graphics card boxes, but it's not a bad idea to meet that specs in case you don't trust your power supply make.

2 SATA hard drives (one 500GB one 1TB)
5 External hard drives
DVD Rom Drive
DVD-RW Drive
Multi-media Drive
Floppy Disk Drive
Pentium D 3.0Ghz
IEEE/USB PCI card
LAN Card (PCI)
Soundblaster Audigy 2 PCI Card
Printer
Wireless Receiver for Xbox360 controllers

BTW, is your CPU Core 2 Duo or Pentium D?  If it's Pentium D, then there goes your main reason for 1080p playback problems.  The only thing a Pentium D and Core 2 Duo have in common is the dual core but performance is very very much different.  Bitrate and quality of encoding are the main issues for 1080p contents.  Something like Michael Clayton or Fantastic 4 or 3:10 Yuma in 1080p will play just fine on a Pentium D but hopelessly out of synch for Chain Reaction.  On a Core 2 Duo, everything is smooth even with midstream graphics card.

Dont forget that you automatically void your maker's/shop warranty if you replace the stock cooler.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008 at 03:39 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 01:01 AM »
How good is an HEC power supply brand?

BTW, is your CPU Core 2 Duo or Pentium D?  If it's Pentium D, then there goes your main reason for 1080p playback problems.  The only thing a Pentium D and Core 2 Duo have in common is the dual core but performance is very very much different.  Bitrate and quality of encoding are the main issues for 1080p contents.  Something like Michael Clayton or Fantastic 4 or 3:10 Yuma in 1080p will play just fine on a Pentium D but hopelessly out of synch for Chain Reaction.  On a Core 2 Duo, everything is smooth even with midstream graphics card.

Dont forget that you automatically void your maker's/shop warranty if you replace the stock cooler.
Hec power supply had a good review in Toms Hardware, 4 years ago, it got his alien like cable and the techniciam\n then was amazed with the amount of cable and the quality, its US made i think.
i was using my PC for video editing of Birthdays, wedding and student video commercials that i do.
450 watts was my intended head room coz back then i got then 5 ide hard drives, a dvdrom and dvdwriter, video card, video editing card and a firewire card.

I did check my cpu its a pentium D 280 2.8 Ghz processor, well i guess i could put a hold on the 5.1 speakers and the videocard and buy a good dual core, my Asus P5LD2 Deluxe dont support quad core and has FSB 667 only? not 800, back then my mobo was top of the line, it got E-sata, alot of ide port plus sata. i think i cant let it retire yet, any suggestion for a Processor?
if i wait and n-vidia and ati slug it out further i could get a good deal for the videocard in the future.
MSI 4850 is my number 1 choice Because its COOL Heat dispertion performance and Red Hot kick ass performace agains nvdia cards costing 3 times more expensive! and and the Power Color 3870 which incidentaly got DDR4 and the Copper 3rd party cooler?
im now aware of the cooling system plays a vital role in these videocard beast.
i'll upgrade my cpu 1st and see what happens...

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 02:11 AM »
My Asus P5LD2 Deluxe spects for CPU
socket 775 for intel Pentium D / Pentium 4 / Celeron
Inetel EM64T / EIST
New Power design supports Intel next generation 04B/04A & 05B/05A CPU

Now what does that mean?
can i buy a Core 2 Duo Processor or am i out of luck.

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 02:29 AM »
afaik hd playback relies more on the cpu rather than the gpu. nvidia's purevideo and ati's unified video decoder technologies are mainly designed to work with blu-ray and hd-dvd playback. otherwise its a hit or miss thing if the gpu will take on the work of the cpu.

in my experience, my computer uses more cpu than gpu when playing back 720p rips. cpu usage increases from 2%(idle) to 14%+ while my gpu activity only increases from 1% to 5% i have the Q6600 and an x-turbo III 3870

Hec power supply had a good review in Toms Hardware, 4 years ago, it got his alien like cable and the techniciam\n then was amazed with the amount of cable and the quality, its US made i think.

even if its branded, it doesn't mean that all of HEC's products are good. you have to know what specific model is good. and these usually aren't the cheap ones. also, the 4850 runs very hot, it can go almost 100C under load. the pentium D is also reputed to run hotter than more recent processors. it might be good advise to add a couple of a fans to your case.

Offline gren

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 11:30 AM »
Based on this:
http://ph.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=185&l4=0&model=512&modelmenu=1

and this:
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P5LD2_Deluxe.html

it seems doubtful that the board could support C2D Processors.  Whereas a different flavour P5LD2-X indicates specifically that it supports Core 2 Duo.

The good news is, if you do have DDR2, it means that you can upgrade both processor and mainboard without having to bother upgrading the rest of your gear.  Mainstream mainboards aren't that expensive (3-5k); I've long since learned not to buy motherboards with more features than I need -- the price premium (usually twice the cost of 'mainstream models' at 9-13k) is not worth it.

I highly recommend the ATI 780g motherboards for connectivity crazy folks -- the Gigabyte model that we have has eSata, DVI, HDMI, Optical Out and a built-in ATI 3400 video card and costs a bit over 4k (that was a few months ago, too).  Pop in an AMD64 x2 5000+ cpu at less than 4k (I think) and you get a board/processor combo that allows you to decode 1080p no problem.

I haven't really looked much into numbers lately -- haven't been a benchmark ho for ages, but feedback i've had regarding c2D vs amd is that if you plan on overclocking, then c2d/intel based systems would be more to your liking, if you're cost conscious, amd systems won't disappoint.  Another way of looking at it is that intel produces good processors but crappy boards and amd produces mediocre processors but excellent boards (due to their ownership of ATI).

Now, I'm not trying to start an Intel VS AMD thread here (ugh, threadjacking), and the info I had here is a few months out of date.  Intel is supposed to come up with a better built-in video card and I haven't heard from it since.  I'm looking more on a practical standpoint, which equates cost over marginal performance gains.  Plus most of all, I'd rather have a system that gives me trouble-free computing -- we had very bad experiences with MSI manufactured intel boards :P  so you won't find me recommending them anytime soon.

My Asus P5LD2 Deluxe spects for CPU
socket 775 for intel Pentium D / Pentium 4 / Celeron
Inetel EM64T / EIST
New Power design supports Intel next generation 04B/04A & 05B/05A CPU

Now what does that mean?
can i buy a Core 2 Duo Processor or am i out of luck.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 10:35 PM »
Mukha ngang questionable if your current mobo supports Core 2 Duo.  Kung chipset mo is only Intel 945, no chance.  Kung Intel 945P or newer variant, meron pang chance of C2D compatibility with bios update.  Kahit mas powerful pa sa HD3870 or HD4850 bilhin mong graphics card, I'm positive it wont solve your problems with 1080p mkv.  However, I'd say ratio of available 720p to 1080p mkvs right now is at least 10:1, so ok lang sigurong keep mo yung present system as is, and then just build a more powerful one based on a modern mobo.   You are into video editing so hindi ka puedeng magtipid sa CPU.   I would suggest a very powerful Intel CPU within your budget and HD3870.   Pareho lang real life performance ng 3870 sa 4850 regardless of what benchmarks say.  Mas malamig pang di hamak ang 3870 and mas mura sa 4850.

Ganito ginagawa ko.  720p version for my wife's Dell Dimension 9100 in Pasig, 1080p for myself in Tokyo. Pati yung recent buyers ng hdds happy sa flexibility of choice.

« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2008 at 11:22 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 11:26 PM »
Yeah, i am looking in the direction of a powerful processor and scale down on the mobo as evident in Asus Alife, thought it was buit for the future,
a quad core and what kaya a reasonable mobo for it?
it atleast 9k...am not gonna buy a video card.

The Box of my ASUS P5ld2 Deluxe says its INTEL 945P Express Chipset
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2008 at 12:50 AM by Rak-Rak »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2008 at 11:19 AM »
Yeah, i am looking in the direction of a powerful processor and scale down on the mobo as evident in Asus Alife, thought it was buit for the future,
a quad core and what kaya a reasonable mobo for it?
it atleast 9k...am not gonna buy a video card.

The Box of my ASUS P5ld2 Deluxe says its INTEL 945P Express Chipset

I see myself in your situation before I took the risk of buying the HD3870 for a 375W rated PSU.  Makers specs and many message boards were telling me my PSU would not run that card properly but I took the risk after reading many current loading tests/reports conducted by reliable sites.

So are you willing to take the risk of buying a C2D and trying it out on your current mobo?   Dami kasing variant ng P5LD2 so I guess you should try to get in touch with ASUS directly, give them your full mobo details including manufacturing date and serial no., and then get their confirmation if your mobo can indeed support a C2D already.   Yung ang pinakamadaling upgrade in case.   I'm still pissed to find out that even Pentium D is so underpowered for 1080p mkv.  Curse of piracy perhaps?   ;D   Walang problema ang Pentium D sa original BD and HD DVD playback because hardware acceleration through the graphics card is very effective.

Never had the experience to build entire PCs from scratch but it's pretty amazing to find new mobos that are outrageously expensive.  In any case, if I were to buy or build a new PC right now, I would make sure that the mobo is compatible with the latest iteration of quad-core CPUs.

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 18, 2008 at 11:54 AM »
Sort of tangential but you might want to look into this article detailing Athlon 64 x2 2000+ versus atom:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Atom-Athlon-Efficient,1997.html

It just provides some details on the Athlon's merits (and relative  demerits, as it is being compared to a chip targetted at very low cost setups).

I'd still heartily recommend the amd 780g + amd x2 setup.  Then again, pupunta ka dito today so you'd see for yourself :>  Oh yeah, and trade HD stuff, too :>

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 01:16 PM »
OT: was nice meeting up with you Rak-Rak.  Thanks for the stuff :>   I hope you can come back soon so we can discuss networking stuff.  Your info about bit torrenting sure helps a lot :>

In any case, good luck with your Intel/Nvidia/Mac project -- we're looking forward to hearing from your (mis) adventures into the, uhm, hermaphrodite/hybrid world of intels and OSX :>

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 04:08 PM »
Asus P5LD2 Deluxe

- Features
AI Life Series
AI Life Series motherboards bring lifestyle and personal computing together. They entertain you with TV, radio and Dolby support, and link you to the rest of the world via wireless connection(WiFi-TV bundle edition only). To create a peaceful environment, several new and improved innovations are also included to reduce noise and temperature. Don't change your way of life for a computer. Instead let the ASUS Life Series improve the quality of your life.

Stack Cool 2
Stack Cool 2 is a fan-less and zero-noise cooling solution. It effectively transfers heat generated by the critical components to the other side of the specially designed PCB (printed circuit board) for effective heat dissipation.    
AI Quiet
With PCs serving as the entertainment centerpiece and playing a bigger role in our lives, quiet operation is in high demand. No one wants to hear the cooling fan spinning when watching a movie or listening to music. The ASUS AI Quiet function dynamically controls CPU speed and reduces temperature and fan speeds when peace and quiet are what you desire.

Wifi-TV PCI Card
Connectivity and entertainment are the key words of personal computing in the 21st Century, and the AI Life Series delivers both.
(Note: Optional, the WiFi-TV card has to be purchased separately)

Total Wireless Solution
Offering IEEE 802.11a/b/g standards all in one add-on card, the WiFi-TV PCI card allows convenient wireless connection to the Internet and other digital devices. Share photos, videos and MP3 music files between the wireless devices at home without the tangling wires. Moreover, the unique setup wizard makes establishing a wireless environment a piece of cake.
- Easily sync up with Centrino notebooks and other wireless devices
- 802.11a standard offers less signal interference and better performance
- Setup wizard simplifies wireless network establishment
TV-Tuner
No need to spend extra money to own PVR (personal video recording). The ASUS TV-tuner lets you watch, record, pause and even replay your favorite scenes and sport plays! The WiFi-TV Card offers TV tuner and FM radio! The analog TV/digital TV combo presents the most flexible way to enjoy regular and digital TV (DVB-T only) with a single on screen switch!
- Television, FM radio
- Edit video recorded on your camcorder with the bundled Cyberlink
Power Director.
- Enjoy great multimedia experience with the bundled Cyberlink
Power Cinema
SATA on the Go
The motherboard supports the next-generation hard drives based on the Serial ATA (SATA) 3Gb/s storage specification, delivering enhanced scalability and doubling the bus bandwidth for high-speed data retrieval and saves. The external SATA ports located at the back I/O provide smart setup and hot-plug functions. Easily backup photos, videos and other entertainment contents on external devices.

Intel 945 chipset
The Intel 945P is the latest and one of the most powerful chipsets in personal computing. It supports 1066MHz FSB (front-side-bus), PCI Express graphics and dual-channel DDR2 memory, and Intel's dual-core CPU for fast multi-tasking. Combined with the Intel ICH7R that provides four Serial ATA II ports with various RAID options and PCI Express interface, the motherboard is an excellent foundation for a powerful desktop.
   Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
This motherboard supports the latest Pentium 4 CPU from Intel in LGA775 package. With 1066/ 800/ 533MHz FSB, Hyper-Threading Technology and core-speeds up to 3.6GHz and beyond, Intel's LGA775 Pentium 4 is one of the fastest desktop processors to date.
   Theatre-Level Audio with Dolby Master Studio
A person who truly knows good entertainment appreciates good acoustic presence. AI Life Series motherboards offer 8-channel audio output and sound spec higher than that of DVD. Enjoy true home theatre experience with the supreme Dolby Master Studio and hear your movies in 7.1 surround sound. With the P5LD2 Deluxe, appreciate the quality of sound, and indulge your sense of hearing.
- Dolby Prologic IIx
- Dolby Digital EX
- Dolby Headphone
- Dolby Virtual speaker
- Dolby Digital Live
   Dual-Core CPU
Enjoy the extraordinary CPU power from the latest dual-core CPU. The advanced processing technology contains two physical CPU cores with individually dedicated L2 Caches to satisfy the rising demand for more powerful processing capability.
   Universal PCI Express
The Universal PCI Express technology offers utilization flexibility of the Southbridge PCI Express interface. It enables users to plug in an additional PCI Express graphics card to set up a dual graphics card platform on a single motherboard. ASUS' own smart quick switch further detects how users installed their PCI Express devices, and intelligently reroutes the PCI Express lanes for optimized bandwidth allocation.
   Hyper Path 3
Data transfers within the system are made possible by various mechanisms that synchronize the sending and receiving of commends among components. Unfortunately, these mechanisms cause data transfer delays known as latency time. This unique feature significantly shortens latency time during data transfers, allowing users to experience the real power of their computers.
   Fanless Design
Cooling fans, though a popular thermal solution, also come with noise and malfunction likelihood. ASUS Motherboard's fanless concept is specifically created to provide a cool environment without all the baggage. ASUS has devoted special efforts to address the thermal issues across the motherboard, and most notably the areas that reside the CPU, power, Northbridge and Southbridge. The heat sinks and strategic board layout are tailor made to dissipate heat in the most efficient manner. With the addition of Stack Cool 2, users can even overclock without a noisy, bulky fan.

You can see the full specifications in the table below:
CPU

Socket 775 for Intel Pentium D / Pentium 4 / Celeron
Intel® EM64T / EIST
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology ready
New power design supports Intel® next generation 04B/04A & 05B/05A CPU
Chipset

Intel 945P
ICH7R
Front Side Bus

1066/ 800/ 533 MHz
Memory

4 x DIMM, max. 4GB, DDR2 667/533/400, non-ECC, un-buffered memory
Dual Channel Architecture
Expansion Slots

2 x PCI-E x16
- Default (single VGA): x16, Auto Select
1 x PCI-E x1
3 x PCI
PCI 2.2,
Storage/RAID

Intel ICH7R South Bridge:
1 x UltraDMA 100/66/33
4 x Serial ATA (3Gb/s)
RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10 and Intel Matrix Storage technology.
ITE 8211F controller:
2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 support two hard drives
Silicon Image 3132 Controller:
1 x Internal Serial ATA (3Gb/s
1 x External Serial ATA (3Gb/s)
RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD, RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 with Additional Port Multiplier
LAN

Marvell 88E8053 PCI-E Gb LAN controller
Audio

Realtek ALC882M, 8-ch High-Definition Audio CODEC
Dolby® Master Studio
Jack Sensing and Enumeration
Universal Audio Jack
S/PDIF out interface
IEEE 1394

TI 1394 controller with 2 1394a ports
USB

8 USB2.0 ports
ASUS AI Life Features

WiFi-TV (optional)
-Digital TV(DVB-T only), Analog TV, FM
-WiFi@home 802.11a/b/g
ASUS AI Quiet
ASUS Stack Cool 2
"SATA on the Go" External SATA connector
BIOS

8 Mb Flash ROM, AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI2.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 2.3, Multi-language BIOS, ASUS EZ Flash, ASUS CrashFree BIOS 2
Manageability

WOL by PME,WOR by PME, Chassis Intrusion
Back Panel I/O Ports

1 x Parallel
1 x PS/2 Keyboard
1 x PS/2 Mouse
1 x Audio I/O
1 x External SATA
1 x RJ45
1 x S/PDIF Out (Coaxial+Optical)
4 x USB
1 x IEEE1394
Internal I/O Connectors

2 x USB connector supports additional 4 USB ports
CPU / Chassis *2 / Power FAN connectors
24-pin ATX Power connector
4-pin EZ Plug
8-pin EATX 12V Power connector
IDE LED connector, power LED connector
Chassis Intrusion
CD audio in
1 x IEEE1394 ports
GAME/MIDI connector
5 x SATA II ports
COM2 connector
Front panel audio connector
Support CD

Drivers
ASUS PC Probe II
AI Booster
Anti-Virus Software
InterVideo WinDVD Suite
ASUS LiveUpdate
Accessories

User's manual
UltraDMA cable
IDE cable
FDD cable
COM cable
2-port USB / Game module
I/O shield
SATA cable
GT Soft Bridge
1 port 1394 module
WiFi-TV Accessories (bundle version only)

CyberLink PowerCinema (OEM version)
PAL to NTSC Adapter
1 x Omnidirectional dual-band wireless antenna
1 x FM Antenna
1 x Remote control + USB Receiver
WiFi-TV User's Manual
CyberLink PowerDirector
Form Factor

ATX, 12" x 9.6" (30.5cm x 24.5cm)

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 07:26 PM »
I have an nVidia GF8400GS video card with HDMI. I connected the HDMI to my LCD TV as second monitor of my PC (DualView). I use the LCD TV to watch my downloaded movies. When I watch movie using the LCD TV, the sound still comes out of the PC speakers, is it possible to direct the sound to the LCD TV?

Offline Stark3

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 03, 2009 at 11:45 PM »
Haven't looked at the specs of your specific video card yet, but yes, some of the newer video card models can output sound via HDMI.

In the case of my Radeon 4850, after installation I saw the following entry in my list of Sound and video game controllers (Device Manager) :
 ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio.

Check if there's something similar in your system, then in Control Panel -> Sounds And Audio Devices click on the Audio tab and select your video card's audio output as the default device. If you don't want to have all your sounds coming out of whatever it is you've connected the HDMI to, change only the settings for the media player you want to be affected by the change.

Cheers

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 08:42 AM »
Check out your 8400 if it has the digital audio jumper, you'll have to connect this to your MoBo assuming your Mo Bo has a digital out; it's on my 9400, somebody posted an illustration before, I just cannot find it now. I think it's in this HTPC thread.
[url] http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=87490.0[url]
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2009 at 08:46 AM by Alfie »

Offline cHess

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 08:54 AM »
I have an nVidia GF8400GS video card with HDMI. I connected the HDMI to my LCD TV as second monitor of my PC (DualView). I use the LCD TV to watch my downloaded movies. When I watch movie using the LCD TV, the sound still comes out of the PC speakers, is it possible to direct the sound to the LCD TV?

It is very possible to direct sound to your LCDTV. I also have 8400GS and I can output sound in my LCDTV's. I can't remember my settings. Try to check later.

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 03:16 PM »
My videocard is a Palit GF8400GS. There's a 2-pin audio-in connector on the card. I'm using the motherboard's built-in sound, how do I connect the MB's sound to the videocard?

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 03:35 PM »
saw the thread and picture, here it is:
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=98603.0

Offline boybi