Author Topic: Going High Def....  (Read 13455 times)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Going High Def....
« on: Sep 11, 2008 at 03:32 AM »
Hello High Def Gurus! ;D

I need advise. Like any other member of our community, we want the best equiptment for the hard earned money that we save. I have decided to go high def by December and I am asking recommendations for a good Blu-ray Player. Preferably, region free and can play standard dvd's.

Any recommendations.... :P

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Going High Def....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 10:24 AM »
PS 3

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 10:50 AM »
Hello High Def Gurus! ;D

I need advise. Like any other member of our community, we want the best equiptment for the hard earned money that we save. I have decided to go high def by December and I am asking recommendations for a good Blu-ray Player. Preferably, region free and can play standard dvd's.

Any recommendations.... :P

If you have an AVR which can decode Dolby TruHD and DTS-MA, the Panasonic DMP-DB30 may be good. It's now $250 at Amazon.

If you don't, the PS3 is probably the best.

In any case, I'm not aware of any BD player which is region-free
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM »
My Sony S301 does not want R3 DVDs but flawlessly play the SIDEWALK DVDs. This stopped my visit to Astrovision. ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline dante

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 04:50 PM »
Does the monitor have to match the player? What are the basic components needed to go HD? Sorry for the newbie perspective - I'm into audio but not at all into HD or even HT at this time and just venturing in.

Thanks!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 05:13 PM »
Does the monitor have to match the player? What are the basic components needed to go HD? Sorry for the newbie perspective - I'm into audio but not at all into HD or even HT at this time and just venturing in.

Thanks!

does not have to be. you can buy a panasonic plasma or lcd tv and use the ps3 as your hd player and the picture will still come out beautifully hd. and to complete the set a receiver or separate amps will help in the surround sound department (you are into audio, so i guess you know the drill).

so its a screen (plasma or lcd or projector 720p or 1080p), bluray player (samsung, panasonic or sony's ps3), receiver / amps (for surround sound), 5.1 or 7.1 speakers.

Offline dante

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 05:36 PM »
does not have to be. you can buy a panasonic plasma or lcd tv and use the ps3 as your hd player and the picture will still come out beautifully hd. and to complete the set a receiver or separate amps will help in the surround sound department (you are into audio, so i guess you know the drill).

so its a screen (plasma or lcd or projector 720p or 1080p), bluray player (samsung, panasonic or sony's ps3), receiver / amps (for surround sound), 5.1 or 7.1 speakers.

Thanks for the tips, Bro. I'll check ps3 prices and head down that road. My son has been bugging me for the console anyway, so might as well benefit from that too with better video. I have an old Onkyo receiver (5.1) that I guess will do for now. And I was just told that Abenson has a sale on LCD monitors.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 10:25 PM »
If you have an AVR which can decode Dolby TruHD and DTS-MA, the Panasonic DMP-DB30 may be good. It's now $250 at Amazon.

If you don't, the PS3 is probably the best.

In any case, I'm not aware of any BD player which is region-free

Hi Sir Streetsmart! ;D

The AVR can follow later on. For now, its the Blu-ray player that I am eyeing to upgrade. Got a recommendation for Sir E-reply as well, that my best bet is the Pana DMP-DB30. I will go to SnS on Sunday to check the unit out.

Regarding region free BD players, I came across a Pana Blu-ray Player last Sunday at the 5th level of Shangri-la Mall. The shop is across the Converse shop. I forgot the name. Anyway, they were selling this Pana Blu-ray Player (didn't get the model no.), and they claim that the player is already region free. They also said that it can read pirated discs too. Since I am going back on Sunday, I will get the model no. of this unit and post it here. ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 11:02 PM »
That shop would be Listening in Style, the player would be the Panasonic DMP-BD30. That player is DVD Region-free. However, DVD upscaling is inferior compared to the PS3. If they have an DVD upscale player, do a comparison.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2008 at 01:00 AM »
That shop would be Listening in Style, the player would be the Panasonic DMP-BD30. That player is DVD Region-free. However, DVD upscaling is inferior compared to the PS3. If they have an DVD upscale player, do a comparison.

Thanks for the info on the model no. Sir Mouldingo! ;D So, its the player we're talking about pala all along. I'll take your advice on comparing the unit with an upscaling dvd player for dvd playback. ;D

But in your opinion guys, is this a good BD Player? Coz I am saving up for it and I don't want to waste my hard earned cash if the unit is not so great at all. You thoughts/opinions are welcome.... :P

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2008 at 04:07 AM »

Yup. This is right. Eto pala ang locally available na BD-30. Region free. Mahina nga sya sa upconverting. Inferior compared to PS3. However, its one of the best players, insofar as it is a BD player lang. It's probably the most popular in AVS Forum.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2008 at 04:20 AM »
That's good to know sir streetsmart! ;D I will audition it on Sunday. If I like it, I will get one. Question is...if I order one unit from my brother in the US (since he has plans of coming home by Sept. 27), will that unit be region free as well?

Is there any difference in the unit if it were purchased in the US vs buying it here? ???

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2008 at 04:23 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Bro. I'll check ps3 prices and head down that road. My son has been bugging me for the console anyway, so might as well benefit from that too with better video. I have an old Onkyo receiver (5.1) that I guess will do for now. And I was just told that Abenson has a sale on LCD monitors.

i suggest that you look at the sellers here like e-reply and nemesis, they have brick and mortar stores too, they are way much cheaper than the abensons and the automatic centers out there, even if abensons are having a sale, its usually their showroom units or the old models. sayang money mo.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2008 at 04:47 PM »
Is there any difference in the unit if it were purchased in the US vs buying it here? ???

Up ko lang po yung question ko regarding the Pana BD-30 as quoted earlier... :P

Offline bono vox

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2008 at 06:28 PM »
for those who knows, how much this pana bd-30?  ::)

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2008 at 08:21 PM »
That's good to know sir streetsmart! ;D I will audition it on Sunday. If I like it, I will get one. Question is...if I order one unit from my brother in the US (since he has plans of coming home by Sept. 27), will that unit be region free as well?

The US model is 110v, Region locked ang DVD niya to R1. It will only play US DVDs and some p**ated Region-free. Price US$250 (@47.00=1) plus free shipping P11,750. Have warranty (US that is).

The grey-market local is 220V (from Hong Kong). Region Free DVD. Price 28K-32k depending or your haggling abilities. Store warranty (depending on the store).

The Pana Phil version is same as above but cost 38K, but have Pana Phil warranty.

The price difference is good enough to buy a seperate divx capable region free upscaling dvd player....

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2008 at 09:16 PM »

The US model is 110v, Region locked ang DVD niya to R1. It will only play US DVDs and some p**ated Region-free. Price US$250 (@47.00=1) plus free shipping P11,750. Have warranty (US that is).

The grey-market local is 220V (from Hong Kong). Region Free DVD. Price 28K-32k depending or your haggling abilities. Store warranty (depending on the store).

The Pana Phil version is same as above but cost 38K, but have Pana Phil warranty.

The price difference is good enough to buy a seperate divx capable region free upscaling dvd player....

Thanks Sir Mouldingo for this information! ;D So getting it in the US is cheaper ;D, but the flaw is that the unit is region locked and can only play R1 dvds :(. On the other hand, getting it here is double the amount :(, but the advantage is that its region free :D...hmmmm! :-\

Question: If I decide to get the unit from the US, is there a unlocking code that will make the unit region free for both blu-ray and dvd discs...? ???

Offline dante

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2008 at 11:52 PM »
i suggest that you look at the sellers here like e-reply and nemesis, they have brick and mortar stores too, they are way much cheaper than the abensons and the automatic centers out there, even if abensons are having a sale, its usually their showroom units or the old models. sayang money mo.

OK Bro. Will do as you suggested. Thanks again for the tip.

Cheers!

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2008 at 12:03 AM »
Hi Guys! ;D

I tried reading reviews online and I found this review that made me worry.... :-\
I own a Samsung LCD...

"This player does not work with Samsung LCD TV"
by jturnidge on January 22, 2008

Pros: JPEG and MP-3 playback
Cons: Does not work with Samsung LCD TV

Summary: This player had all the features I wanted, such as Blu-Ray 1.1 profile, JPEG and MP-3 playback, etc. except for one glaring problem: It does not work with my Samsung LCD TV.

The screen shows absolutely horrible screen flashing problems, image artifacts, sometimes dropping out completely and displaying snow or black screen. I have a Samsung LNT5271F LCD connected via HDMI. After some online research I found others with this same problem on Samsung LCD and Plasma sets. I tried 3 different players, different cables, different ports and they all had the same problem. Apparently the HDMI handshake drops out.

Be warned! If you have a Samsung flat panel TV, avoid yourself the hassle and get something else!

Is this true for all Samsung LCD's or just the specific LCD mentioned on the review? :-[
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2008 at 12:33 AM by stickfighter »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 13, 2008 at 07:55 AM »
Question: If I decide to get the unit from the US, is there a unlocking code that will make the unit region free for both blu-ray and dvd discs...? ???

None that I know... :P

Online Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2399
« Reply #20 on: Sep 13, 2008 at 08:44 AM »
Thanks Sir Mouldingo for this information! ;D So getting it in the US is cheaper ;D, but the flaw is that the unit is region locked and can only play R1 dvds :(. On the other hand, getting it here is double the amount :(, but the advantage is that its region free :D...hmmmm! :-\

I would just get this panasonic in america. For the huge price difference I will buy a separate standalone dvd player like an oppo 980 or toshiba xde500, depends on your taste. Oppo is battle tested and well liked by many.. while the new toshiba have some people liking it and some don't. Ordering in america has some risks like if you get a lemon unit, hassle and costly to send it back. Unlike here you can easily return the item, have warranty convenience etc.

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 13, 2008 at 10:57 AM »
separate standalone dvd player like an oppo 980 or toshiba xde500, depends on your taste. Oppo is battle tested and well liked by many.. while the new toshiba have some people liking it and some don't.

xde500 pangit raw for PAL discs.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 09:51 PM »
I finally went to SnS to audiotion the unit. ;D

We connected the BD-30 to a Samsung LCD. No problem with compatibility, as you can see in my previous post that in the US, they have a problem when pairing the BD-30 with a Samsung LCD.

The PQ is really breathtaking when watching a Blu-ray disc! :o But when viewing dvd's (R1 or R3), the upscaling PQ, sad to say, is not that great. :(

I asked for the good people of SnS to connect a Pio DV600 so we can compare the "upscaling" PQ of the player vs the upscaling PQ of the BD-30 when viewing dvd's...

I was amazed to see with my own eyes that the Pio DV600 can match the "upscaling" capabilities! :o

In conclusion, I will just purchase a Pio DV600 (or 610), upscaling dvd player for now. :) My whole intention of upgrading to high def will always consider viewing my dvd collection at a better, crisp-clear picture.

But I guess for now, while I wait for a better blu-ray player to come out that will do just that, I will just settle for a good upscaling dvd player.

I would just get this panasonic in america. For the huge price difference I will buy a separate standalone dvd player like an oppo 980 or toshiba xde500, depends on your taste. Oppo is battle tested and well liked by many.. while the new toshiba have some people liking it and some don't. Ordering in america has some risks like if you get a lemon unit, hassle and costly to send it back. Unlike here you can easily return the item, have warranty convenience etc.

This is a very good suggestion to consider Sir Moks, but if in the near future, a better blu-ray player does come out that will give me the features I am particularly looking for, then, I'll just save my money for now and get it later on. ;)

Thank you for the very accomodating staff of SnS for helping me audition the BD-30 and the Pio DV600. ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2008 at 02:06 AM by stickfighter »

Offline surg

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 10:04 PM »
Nice to know I wouldn't regret having bought the Pio DV600 ;D

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 16, 2008 at 11:30 PM »
Nice to know I wouldn't regret having bought the Pio DV600 ;D

Yup! Very good unit you have there Sir Surg! ;D However, when I asked Sir Vic to quote me on the unit, he said that the DV610 is better and I should go that way na instead of the DV600. :P So, I will go and check it out on Sunday. ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 12:00 PM »
If you can wait, there is a thread here selling Oppo 980 for P11k. That's a pretty good price and the upscaling capability of the Oppo is far superior to the Pioneer.

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #26 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 01:28 PM »
Going hi-def?  PS3 is the way to go. It's an excellent BD player and it upscales DVD's very well. Gaming while excellent, can be considered a bonus feature.

I don't think buying a Pio DV600 is the path to hi-def at all. Just my opinion.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 07:42 PM »
Going hi-def?  PS3 is the way to go. It's an excellent BD player and it upscales DVD's very well. Gaming while excellent, can be considered a bonus feature.

I don't think buying a Pio DV600 is the path to hi-def at all. Just my opinion.

Upscaling is not considered HD at all... It more cosmetic than anything else.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #28 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 10:17 PM »
Upscaling is not considered HD at all... It more cosmetic than anything else.

Hmm..that make sense. So...

HD=PS3
Upscaling = PS3 or OPPO, question now is which upscales better.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 10:29 PM »
Hmm..that make sense. So...

HD=PS3
Upscaling = PS3 or OPPO, question now is which upscales better.

seen it sa last shoot out, and the oppo is the better upscaler. and ang hirap sa ps3, you an only upscale the dvd of the region you bought it from , while the oppo is region free. yun lang nga spend more to get best of both worlds.